PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > BioShock 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Fizzmatix
Banned User

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Gold   Bright Idea   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Researchers Handbook

Researchers Handbook

This handbook is to be used with the current achievement guide. I couldn't fit this information into the guide so this is more of a continuation of the current achievement guide.

The full guide can be found here.

Unlike the first game you will be using a cine-style video camera rather than an old 35mm roll film camera. There is one big difference this time around, you don't need to collect film to use the camera. You don't start off with the camera but you will find it while roaming Pauper's Drop.

Using the camera:
Once you pick up the camera you will be prompted to research a Splicer outside of the cafe you're in. This small tutorial will show you the basics of the camera and how to capture using the camera. When you complete the tutorial you may want to start using the quick select option to access the camera from now on. Doing this will save you from cycling through your weapons to find the camera each time. Press and hold the and use the to select the camera. You can also spring to different weapons this way while recording.

Before you start attacking everyone and everything make sure you start recording before hand. Also make sure you have the enemy you want to record in frame. You won't be able to record multiple enemies at once, if you start recording and two or more enemies are attacking, concentrate on the one highlighted in gold first.

Research Tonics:
The following tonics will aid your research. You will find most of them but you will have to buy Keen Observer 2 from a Gatherers Garden. These tonics will increase your overall research points.

They're not a major requirement but if you are struggling to research certain enemy times they should help speed things up.
  • Keen Observer - Found in Pauper's Drop (Eleanore's bedroom)
  • Keen Observer 2 - Bought from a Gatherers Gard in Dionysus Park
  • Extended Reel - Found in the Project Booth at the Triton Cinema (Dionysus Park)
  • Damage Research - Found near the exit from the train in Fontaine Futuristics.
Enemy Types:
There are nine enemy types throughout the whole of Rapture. They all have four levels of research which will reward you with various advantages over them. Some enemies will only be available to research for a short period of time so following this handbook should solve all your issues.

When you encounter an enemy start researching. Don't leave it until the last minute as you will miss out on valuable research that you may not be able to come back to.

Big Daddy/Sister
  • Big Daddy - Alpha Series
  • Big Daddies - Bouncer - Rosie - Rumbler
  • Big Sister
Splicers
  • Brute Splicer
  • Houdini Splicer
  • Leadhead Splicer
  • Spider Splicers
  • Thuggish Splicer
Security
  • Security Bots - Security Cameras - Turrets
Note: Freezing enemies seems to be the most effective when they are stronger e.g Big Sister, Brute, Houdini's & Big Daddies. This may be not be the best combination for you personally, so use combination's that feel best suited to your play style. There are no wrong ways to take down an enemy for research, some just work better than others.

Enemy Locations:
Each location has it's own variety of enemies, some you will encounter throughout Rapture, others you will only find in set locations.

Pauper's Drop
  • Thuggish Splicer
  • Leadhead Splicer
  • Brute Splicer
  • Rosie
  • Big Sister
  • Security
Siren Alley
  • Thuggish Splicer*
  • Leadhead Splicer
  • Spider Splicer
  • Brute Splicer
  • Rosie
  • Big Sister
  • Rumbler
  • Security
*Very few enemies, if any at all.

Dionysus Park
  • Houdini Splicer
  • Leadhead Splicer
  • Spider Splicer
  • Brute Splicer
  • Elite Bouncer
  • Rumbler
  • Security
Fontaine Futuristics
  • Houdini Splicer
  • Leadhead Splicer
  • Big Sister
  • Alpha Series
  • Rumbler
  • Security
Persephone
  • Big Sister x2
Inner Persephone
  • Houdini Splicer
  • Elite Brute Splicer
  • Alpha Series
Big Sister Encounters
You will encounter the Big Sister once you have dealt with three Little Sisters. The events surrounding the Big Sister are scripted so you can prepare before hand.

Researching Techniques:
Now that you know all the locations and what you will be researching it's time to get started and work your way towards the achievements.

While the camera is equipped and you are ready to record, you will notice the research counter on the right side of the screen. As you deal more damage to you research subject the counter will go up. The more creative you are with your attacks, the better your score will be overall. If you carefully plan out your attack you should be able to fully research most enemies with little to no effort.

Minor Research: Photos
If you fail to research an enemy you can take a picture of their corpse. This won't earn you many points but it will help a little.

Area Backtracking:
You may not be able to backtrack through levels as you progress, but you can backtrack through a current areas. Make sure that you don't leave an area until you are happy with your research. If you need to research a Thuggish Splicer or Spider Splicer early on, you can backtrack to the later parts of your current level to find them lurking.

This works for most enemies but not all. You won't run into a Big Sister or Alpha Series this way, so make sure you capture decent reels of those enemies when you can.

Plasmids & Weapon Attacks:
Some of the highest scoring techniques will come from mixing a plasmid attack with some sort of weapon. If you set a subject on fire, then shoot them with the Trap Rivets and finish them off with the Electro Bolt Plasmid your score should be fairly respectable.

Mixing your attacks with Plasmids will always earn you a high score over just shooting an enemy until it dies. Here is an example of what your counter will look like while achieving a good score:

Tip Example:
Trap (Cyclone-Fire/Electro), Rivets, Shotgun and environmental hazards will results in much higher scores.

Note: There are several different combination's of Plasmids and weapons you can use, just make sure you don't use the same ones on a regular basis. The more you use the same Plasmids and and weapon combinations the lower your score will be.

ADAM Gathering & Research:
This will probably be your best strategy for researching your enemies. Once you set down the a LIttle Sister to gather ADAM, a horde of enemies will start to attack. Setting traps will help add to your score, so make sure you use them effectively. Use your Plasmids, weapons and traps you may have set to earn the extra points.

No matter which level you are on, you will always have a selection of enemies from that level attack you. This can be useful if you require research for certain enemies which don't show up so often.

Environmental Attacks:
You don't need to use just your weapons and Plasmids to attack your research subject. Hacked security, water or other environmental hazards you can add to your research score. Doing so will increase your B grade to an A grade with little to no effort.

Researching Results & Rewards:
You may have already seen most of the research rewards while running around with the camera but here is a full list of rewards and results. Some rewards will come in the form of a Tonic, others will help take down your enemies faster. Research can be a useful tool if you take the time to record footage of your attacks.

Thuggish Splicers
Level 1: Increased Damage against Thuggish Splicers
Level 2: Increased Wallet Cap
Level 3: Increased Damage against Thuggish Splicers
Level 4: Scrounger Tonic

Leadhead Splicers
Level 1: Increased Damage against Leadhead Splicers
Level 2: Slow Security Response
Level 3: Increased Damage against Leadhead Splicers
Level 4: Thirsty Hacker Tonic

Houdini Splicers
Level 1: Increased Damage against Houdini Splicers
Level 2: Easier to spot Houdinis when teleporting
Level 3: Increased Damage against Houdini Splicers
Level 4: Natural Camouflage Tonic

Spider Splicers
Level 1: Faster movement speed
Level 2: Spider Splicer organs act as First Aid Kits
Level 3: Even faster movement speed
Level 4: Fountain of Youth Tonic

Brute Splicers
Level 1: New Drill Dash Ability
Level 2: Increase melee damage
Level 3: Increased Damage against Brute Splicers
Level 4: Armored Shell 2 Tonic

Big Daddes - Bouncer, Roise, Rumbler
Level 1: Increased Damage against Big Daddies
Level 2: Increase Drill damage
Level 3: Increased Damage against Big Daddies
Level 4: Arms Race Tonic

Alpha Series
Level 1: Increased Damage against Alpha Series
Level 2: Increase ammo carrying capacity
Level 3: Increased Damage against Alpha Series
Level 4: Elemental Storm Tonic

Big Sister
Level 1: Increased maximum EVE capacity
Level 2: Free Health restoration after gather ADAM
Level 3: Increased maximum EVE capacity
Level 4: Drill Vampire Tonic

Security - Cameras, Turrets, Bots
Level 1: Increased damage against Security
Level 2: Double ammo on destroyed Security
Level 3: Increased damage against Security
Level 4: Deadly Machines Tonic

This should cover everything you need to know about the research. There didn't seem to be any reason to add in all the different combination's of Plasmid and weapon attacks.

Just remember if your score isn't improving, you may have used the same combination too much, or that you didn't use it effectively enough.

Last edited by Fizzmatix; 02-23-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Fizzmatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
guillermo316

Fantasychampion's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
very well written, i get A+ in my english class and i cant write this well. if you use this then you will get the achievement for sure!
guillermo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
SWAGGART
Banned User

ZIGGYTR0N's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
very nice guide mate good work.
SWAGGART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
pined5551

Traveller Nick's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Does researching any type of security count as one class or do the camera, turret and bot all count as different things?
pined5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
ZebraMuffinX

ZebraMuffinX's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pined5551 View Post
Does researching any type of security count as one class or do the camera, turret and bot all count as different things?
Sorry for the double post.

I'm pretty sure all security is encompassed into just one research track, that's how it seemed to work for me.
Completed Retail: NBA 2K6, Call of Duty 2, Resident Evil 5 (1000), History Channel: Civil War, MW2, SH: Homecoming, Tetris Evolution, Bioshock (1100), Bioshock 2 (1000), Fallout 3 (1550), Halo Reach (1000), Fallout: NV (1000). Completed Arcade: Gunstar Heroes, Galaga, Pac-man CE, DR2:CZ, Harm's Way, Doritos Crash Course, Doom, Small Arms. 40,000 GS on 9/03/11

Last edited by ZebraMuffinX; 01-30-2011 at 05:21 AM.
ZebraMuffinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
FearRosa

Modern Epidemic's Gamercard
Awesome! This helped so much! Well written!
FearRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
TheIcemanCometh

Send a message via ICQ to TheIcemanCometh Send a message via AIM to TheIcemanCometh Send a message via MSN to TheIcemanCometh Send a message via Yahoo to TheIcemanCometh

TheIcemanCometh's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Just a quick note/FYI for those coming after me - I just maxed out all my research and got the achievement last night. Granted, I was being pretty methodical about it, but I am currently at the point in the game where you're gathering the four plants to release Gil (Fontaine Futuristics).
Xbox Community Developer Program (XCDP) member. Please do not message or IM me asking for access to or sharing of my access. The XCDP is currently closed and is not accepting new members at this time.

Last edited by TheIcemanCometh; 07-02-2011 at 12:25 PM.
TheIcemanCometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #8
Sirius

Sirius x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   SOTF Winner   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Oh snap! Sick guide, Fizz! This one is a lot more pleasant to read than the other. Very detailed and comprehensive
Old 02-16-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
Fizzmatix
Banned User

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Gold   Bright Idea   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
I do wish i could have put this in the achievement guide. It's just so much it won't fit :S.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
Zobie Capo956

Gabrriel Leal's Gamercard
so if im in fontaine futeristics and dont have thuggish splicer maxed out i wont be able to in the rest of the levels?? is there no thuggish splicers from here on out??
Zobie Capo956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
Fizzmatix
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobie Capo956 View Post
so if im in fontaine futeristics and dont have thuggish splicer maxed out i wont be able to in the rest of the levels?? is there no thuggish splicers from here on out??
You will only find them in Pauper's Drop and Siren Alley. There are no more throughout the game. You will encounter them in the first 4 levels but you don't find the research camera until a little after.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
AngelCakeTom

AngelCakeTom's Gamercard
one really effective reearch mthod i found was;
if you encounter a big daddy being attacks by splicers, start the camera on the big daddy, watching him fight other splcers dramaticaly increases your score usualy to a C/B before you start your fight, then if you quickly use a nice variety of plasmids with a strong weapon you can score an A+ extremily easily, but its not so common to find big daddys already in combat, and even if you do you shoudl act fast as he normaly kill splicers in no time at all..

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Guitar Hero 5

FC'd Arcade Games;

Minecraft
Harms Way
AngelCakeTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
XPL1C1T GAM3R

xSCAR x TiSSUEx's Gamercard
HI ive filled 2 bars on the big sister and have just started fontaine futuristics can i still finish my bigsister research ?

XPL1C1T GAM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #14
HannShotFirst

HannShotFirst's Gamercard
Sonuva whore. Why do they stop spawning Thuggish Splicers after the same level you get the friggin' Camera! I'm on my second playthrough in Persephone, and all I need is a couple more of them! GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

On a different note, great job making the guide. One thing though, fully researching Houdini Splicers gets you the Natural Camouflage tonic.
Assassin's Creed II
COD 4: Modern Warfare
Darksiders
Bioshock 2

Currently Working On:
Borderlands
Halo 3:ODST
HannShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
Tyger7
Moderator and Guide Staff

Send a message via AIM to Tyger7 Send a message via MSN to Tyger7 Send a message via Yahoo to Tyger7 Send a message via Skype™ to Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Gold   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   5,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Tyger7   The Helping Hand   Referrals - Silver   Road Map - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Diamond   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Didn't know my posts and others would be deleted. Anyways, to be constructive in your opinion, you may want to add information about the 3 different tonics that help you during reserach. Where you ge them and what they do exactly. It will help speed up things. Then just remember to switch them out when your research is done since you won't be needing them (same goes for adam gathering tonics)
Tyger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
Dawq902

Dawq902's Gamercard
Smile

This guide is very helpful
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
Deathblow23

IRON MIND's Gamercard
This guide says there are Brute Splicers in Fontaine Futuristics...but I haven't seen one yet. The problem is that I need to research one more to max out the research on that enemy. Please tell me I haven't missed the boat?!?!

I'm actually in the hidden labs now...still haven't seen one.
Deathblow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
C0V3RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow23 View Post
This guide says there are Brute Splicers in Fontaine Futuristics...but I haven't seen one yet. The problem is that I need to research one more to max out the research on that enemy. Please tell me I haven't missed the boat?!?!

I'm actually in the hidden labs now...still haven't seen one.
There's not. I'm in the same boat of needing 1 maybe 2 more brute's for research and haven't seen one since the level with the priest dude...

I'm hoping there is at least one in the final few levels.

Edit: There are plenty in the final few levels but none in Fontaine Futuristics.

Last edited by C0V3RT; 02-20-2010 at 07:46 AM.
C0V3RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
Pixelated Punk

Pixelated Punk's Gamercard
I think it's stupid that they don't spawn any more thuggish splicers in the game. I was like 1 from getting the achievement. I guess I'll have to do it on my second playthru

Pixelated Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Spawn 0f Hell

Jamie Russell 1's Gamercard
You should put in your guide that you can research from corpses if you didn't research them when they were alive. It doesn't give you all the experience but if you didn't have time to swap back to the camera in the middle of combat it's quite helpful. By researching corpses I completed Thuggish Splicer and Leadhead Splicer research tracks before going to see Gracie.

Spawn 0f Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 AM   #21
undyingwildo

undyingwildo's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0V3RT View Post
There's not. I'm in the same boat of needing 1 maybe 2 more brute's for research and haven't seen one since the level with the priest dude...

I'm hoping there is at least one in the final few levels.

Edit: There are plenty in the final few levels but none in Fontaine Futuristics.
same here. it says that there is elite brutes but are they the same as normal ones?
undyingwildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #22
iHypno

i aM Hypno's Gamercard
Goog job! very helpfull indeed
iHypno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #23
Ellusion

Ellusion no's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Same situation, missing two tiny slices on the Brute Slicers. Moved on from Siren Alley where I know they randomly spawn, since they guide say they are present in all levels after that. Haven't seen a single Brute since Siren Alley, and I'm about to move into Persephone =/

Here's to hoping that Elite Brute is a special encounter.

Update: Indeed, when you get to the second to last level, Outer Persephone, the Brutes return. Encountered two of them (regular brutes, difficulty related?) at the beginning and unlocked Master Researcher. Note that on Easy, there were zero Brutes after Siren Alley and up until Outer Persephone.

Last edited by Ellusion; 02-21-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Ellusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #24
SWAGGART
Banned User

ZIGGYTR0N's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Thanks for that, It was a good read and I feel well backed up for tackling this game. A+ for effort.
SWAGGART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #25
Lightshow562

Question The Camera

Where is the Camera located in Paupers Drop cause i couldn't find it
Lightshow562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
K R 3 B S 09

K R 3 B S 09's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightshow562 View Post
Where is the Camera located in Paupers Drop cause i couldn't find it
there will be a pawn shop that you go on the roof of. Just find the hole and drop down
K R 3 B S 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #27
burnoutbabe

cjanderson's Gamercard
you may want to mention that there are no more Big Daddys after Fontaine Futures (level 7) - thats on easy. I realise this when i that was the last thing i had to research and couldn't see anything more in the guide for rest of level 9.

I had to reload a level 7 save and kill some more BDs there to get it, luckily then only had BSis and security to go, and level 8 is quite quick so got it 1/3 of the way through level 9 (security was the hardest one)
burnoutbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #28
MartyMcFly

Ten 13 13's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
In Outer Persephone I just encountered:

About 4 Leadhead Splicers
2 Brute Splicers and 1 Brute Corpse (killed by "something" else)
2 Big Sisters

The Leadheads and Brutes aren't noted in the guide. I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone needed more Brutes.
MartyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #29
devilboy202

SiLENTxR34P3R's Gamercard
Great guide! Should get it done much faster now thanks!
devilboy202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #30
Fishman

Jfishman2007's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Good guide, thanks you.

I just have one question:

I'm playing on normal and I'm on Fontaine Futuristics will I come across at least 1 more Brute Splicer? I need less than a sliver to finish the research on him.

Thanks

Edit: I got the achievement!!!

Last edited by Fishman; 03-24-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote