PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Darksiders
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Cakolukia

Gamboochie's Gamercard
No clue how people call Apocalyptic difficulty easy...

I die at every fight. It takes forever for me to just get by even the smallest battle. This game is really pissing me off. It's not even that I'm bad at these types of games I've beaten hacknslashers on the hardest difficulties plenty of times. This is just plain ridiculous to me. Right now I'm in the choking grounds doing the battle called "The Gory End" and it's freaking impossible! I get 20/30 of the kills and then that big thing just slaughters me. I'm not having fun at all with this thing.

Rant over.

Cakolukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Malkaiah

Malkaiah's Gamercard
Want to know why everyone calls Apocalyptic difficulty easy? Two words. Abyssal. Armour. The game is almost a joke with it equipped, all the early enemies barely scratch you, the bosses are a little harder hitting, but by the time you get to the massive heavy-hitters, you've got enough health to shrug it off anyway. Not to mention every one of your attacks leeches life from the enemy, meaning you last a lot longer in combat. I personally found Normal harder than Apocalyptic with the armour set.

Malkaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
esio gk

esio gk's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkaiah View Post
Want to know why everyone calls Apocalyptic difficulty easy? Two words. Abyssal. Armour. The game is almost a joke with it equipped, all the early enemies barely scratch you, the bosses are a little harder hitting, but by the time you get to the massive heavy-hitters, you've got enough health to shrug it off anyway. Not to mention every one of your attacks leeches life from the enemy, meaning you last a lot longer in combat. I personally found Normal harder than Apocalyptic with the armour set.
What he said.
Lower difficulty to normal, collect Abbysal Armour and start new game on apocalyptic difficulty using this armour. You'll enjoy the game much more, trust me.

esio gk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Seraph Metatron

Seraph Metatron's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I am making my first and only playthrough with Apocalyptic. It is difficult, but dash is your friend. I use the scythe to level it and because of its range, I go in for 2 hits and then dash away. Also, when you learn the big guys movements, it makes it easier to know when you can sit and hack away for a longer period of time. I would not say it is easy at all, but with patience it makes it a lot more bearable.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Varstahl

Varstahl's Gamercard
I've also started fresh on Apocalyptic. Sure, it's not dead easy, but playable. Some of the boss encounters might be a bit of a pain in some occasions, but overall I'm not having too many issues, taking out some of the random packs.

And as well I've been using scythe a lot, more than Chaoseater. Leveling/upgrading it to the max can help a great deal, especially when there are a lot of little trash mobs around.
Varstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Scarabdemon

Scarabdemon's Gamercard
I would agree with the above comments, the abyssal armor is the best way to make Apocalyptic playthrough easy as pie.

Second to this you just need to practice fighting.

In my opinion i would advise using the sword with 'Harpoon Tackle' to dart in and out of combat, on some enemies you can just use it over and over again against them as it will keep knocking them back and meaning they can't get up to damage you.
Also the 'flipsaw' move is really good when combined with the uppercut and a good combo on the ground and in the air before it.

If you are unable to get these moves through lack of souls then i would advise either getting the abyssal armor on another playthrough.

OR getting a guide to help yu get more lifestone shards, wrath shards, and some better weapon enhancements.

Hope this helps.
Scarabdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Aphrodite1

Sublimosis's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by esio gk View Post
What he said.
Lower difficulty to normal, collect Abbysal Armour and start new game on apocalyptic difficulty using this armour. You'll enjoy the game much more, trust me.
I'm just about to start this game.

Roughly how much added time does it take to collect the abyssal armour on normal before you start a new game on Apocalyptic? Is it nearly a complete playthrough before you have all the armnour pieces?

Currently working on:

Retail: Bioshock Infinite
Arcade: Brothers, Mickey Castle of Illusion, Walking Dead Season 2
Aphrodite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Malkaiah

Malkaiah's Gamercard
You won't be able to get the last piece of the armour until quite far into the game, I can't remember which is the last piece of equipment required is but I believe it is the Mask of Shadows. So you're looking at about a complete playthrough before you get the full set.

Malkaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Scarabdemon

Scarabdemon's Gamercard
Quote:
You won't be able to get the last piece of the armour until quite far into the game, I can't remember which is the last piece of equipment required is but I believe it is the Mask of Shadows. So you're looking at about a complete playthrough before you get the full set.
Yea it is the Mask of Shadows, which as Malkaiah said is very close to end game.
Scarabdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
RamenPoodle

Feefity's Gamercard
Quote:
If I remember correctly, one of the last pieces is in Eden under the waterfall, which is very close to the end.

On another note I'm not really sure why people don't want to play through this game twice. It's not really that bad. In fact, I found it to be a lot more enjoyable on my second run where I knew where everything was and I could practically speedrun the game. Don't blame you if you don't want to enter The Black Throne anymore though... XD

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Visual Novel Currently Playing: KiraKira

Last edited by RamenPoodle; 07-15-2010 at 01:54 AM.
RamenPoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Ozbaab

Ozbaab's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Hmm.. I hated Bayonetta. Couldn't play it.

I played Darksiders for the first time yesterday on the hardest difficulty and it wasn't near Bayonetta.. I don't even know what Abyssal Armour is. Sure I've died a few times, but it's not near as hard and frustrating as Bayonetta was.

First in Sweden to 1k Alan Wake!

Ozbaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
dragonaged

Mendreyn's Gamercard
thanks man, i really want some more achievements!!
dragonaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
THE WIZARD

RYAN THE W1ZARD's Gamercard
Its all about the dodging, i just started on apocalyptic and never got the armor but am having no trouble
THE WIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:46 AM   #14
bccbjr81

Mr Sax Appeal's Gamercard
I'm currently in the middle of my first playthrough, which is on apocalyptic. I just killed the giant worm thing, and I have to say, apocalyptic is about what I expected normal to be. I hardly ever die, and there were only a few moments so far where I was frustrated. And from what I heard, it actually gets easier from here on out.

EDIT: And I am not very experienced with the genre, either.
bccbjr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #15
Pixel_Perfect

deadcorg1's Gamercard
As someone has said, dodge is indeed your best friend in Apocalyptic mode. I started my first game in apocalyptic mode to get all three achievements, and it has definitely been rather frustrating at times, but it's well worth it to see the two 100G achievements pop up after you kill the final boss :]
Pixel_Perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #16
Noxic

Noxic NL's Gamercard
Just finished the game with apocalyptic difficulty, without the armor. In about 15 hours or so, and that includes the Dark Rider achievement.. Just dodge like a crazy mofo!

Nice tip; If you dodge in the air, and hold te dodge button you'll dodge again when you land. Usefull to get out of range very vast.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
evilgenius76

evilgenius76's Gamercard
I feel I need to say one thing L2PLAY yes apocalyptic isnt a cake party but its definitely not hard, I leapt straight in on apocalyptic, the most times I died were on trash mobs that i was trying to level my weapons up on (specifically the gauntlet). die on every fight? what you using a playstation pad?
evilgenius76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
CAH4E3

CAH4E3's Gamercard
I played this on my previos console (E74 appeared in march), saves made on Normal difficulty has been erased, so i decided to start again on appocalyptic. It's pretty easy, as for me. The one main thing is - DASH. You do not have to block, just dash sideways. I've just passed Silitha without any armor. The most heavy strikes also - dash strike (RB + movement + X).
So do not afraid it
CAH4E3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #19
urgr8stnitemair

urgr8stnitemair's Gamercard
two words - BLOCK COUNTER

when you master this any enemy small and large are no problem and when it comes to the bosses you will die a bunch of times trying to learn the pattern of them but when you do they are all bearable on apoth on the first playthrough
urgr8stnitemair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #20
Rayne of Fury

Rayne of Fury's Gamercard
Once you get good at dodging, the game is easy. Abyssal Armor is just like insurance at that point.
Rayne of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
rman0099

Rman0099's Gamercard
I am working through my first playthrough on Apoc and find it relatively easy. The game is pretty lenient by restoring you to a checkpoint close by without losing what you accomplished and refilling your life/wrath to full.

The key to this game is patience. Each enemy/boss telegraphs their moves for you pretty well. On Apoch its not stand and smash, its about keeping distance, getting 1 or 2 hits in and moving away. The scythe helps as it gives you the ability to stay back a bit and, once you get the dash move for it, you get a good multi-hit charge forward attack (powerful) that you can hit with then dash out. Most battles then just become monotonous because its a rinse and repeat of that formula.

rman0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #22
MGilli

MGilli's Gamercard
what difficulty did you start on? i like to start on the hardest difficulty so theres no gap between you destroying everything you pass and the opposite where every small enemy can kill you in 5 hits. i think apoc was more then easy in fact im gonna go ahead and say it was 1 of the easiet hardest difficulty games i ever played.

MGilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #23
daishichi

Daishichi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Agreed with most of the above. I'm not one to rag on people for complaining, many complaints are legit, but you gotta be an impatient button-smasher if you "die at every fight". In fact, I found it truly fun and challenging; it required attentive reactions and varied responses. My stats said I died about 80 times, which sounds appropriate for a game I got 20+ hours out of.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #24
Tahae T

Send a message via MSN to Tahae T

Tahae T's Gamercard
had this game for a while - never had a chance to play it (too much time on blk ops)! reading through most the posts now - im eager to give it a go, my question is if i start on easy - can i switch to the hardest setting (similar to oblivion for those familiar) or will it make me start a fresh save on the new selected difficulty?

I like this style of game and would like to 1000g it =). Im sure i can do the missable achieve's on a second playthrough without having to go too far into the game? Esp - if things like the armour etc carry across upon completion of the game. If im wrong please let me know before i start wasting my time!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #25
McGoogles

Ratify's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   XBA Promoter   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahae T View Post
had this game for a while - never had a chance to play it (too much time on blk ops)! reading through most the posts now - im eager to give it a go, my question is if i start on easy - can i switch to the hardest setting (similar to oblivion for those familiar) or will it make me start a fresh save on the new selected difficulty?
No, you must start a fresh new playthrough on the selected difficulty. Sadly, there is no way of changing the difficulty in-game.

Anyways, I'm about halfway through the game on Apocalyptic and it's not too bad (without Abyssal armor). All you have to do is learn the techniques and movement of such enemies and dash away/block whenever necessary.
Latest arcade completion: Warface

McGoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #26
ZingZitang

ZingZitang's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoogles View Post
Sadly, there is no way of changing the difficulty in-game.
Damn, I'm in a similar position. Had the Game since its Release, just haven't had the time to play it.

I started it on Apocalyptic the Day I Got it, so its been over a year ago, and just wanted to throw it in and finish it Quickly and Painlessly to get it off my list of games that I need to finish.

I think I got to Tiamat, or at least to the point where your working towards Tiamat. So the Question is, Should I restart on Normal, or just continue on Apocalyptic?
ZingZitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #27
Rashaka1

Rashaka1's Gamercard
I actually played the game on Normal the first time through. I wasn't sure how I would fare in this game since I haven't really played any others similar to it recently. I got through normal difficulty and only died about 5 times. Usually from me doing stupid stuff.

I did finish the armor suit so now that I'm on apoc difficulty I have the armor already. I can say however that this difficulty is exceedingly easy. I have gone through the entire play so far using only the scythe after I got it. I just killed Griever and I haven't died a single time. I honestly don't think I would really have any problems with this difficulty without the armor. One thing I suggest is making sure that you follow a guide to get all the life fragments so that you have as much HP's as you can at any given point.

If you are starting on apoc difficulty and you aren't familiar with these types of games then yeah... Don't expect to just waltz through the game. It takes some time to learn the moves and how the monsters attack.

My first play through took 19 hours and 54 minutes. I like to explore everything. On my Apoc setting I am currently at 4 hours and have already collected 2 hearts. I'm not really going for a speed run. I'm doing everything from memory. It's just far more simple this time around because I know how to kill everything.

So if you are having problems with Apoc... stop trying to strong arm the game and just drop to the lower difficulty or stop whining about it being hard.

Rashaka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
FuturamaFry

FuturamaFry's Gamercard
The last achievement I needed was beating it on Apoc, and I did so in under 10 hours with the Abysall armor.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #29
Rashaka1

Rashaka1's Gamercard
I am now at the end of my Apoc play through. I only have the final boss left to kill and I have only died 4 times. Two of those times were from a bug with one of the guardians in the black throne which really sucked. One other time I feel off a ledge that apparently instantly kills you because I had full life but still had to restart from a checkpoint. Oh well.

Needless to say, it's not overly difficult.

Rashaka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #30
UberPirateNinja

UberPirateNinja's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
i'm playing thru apoc now, with the abyssal armor, and it's a total cakewalk. finding it far easier than normal. i'm up to iron canopy now, and haven't died once. playing thru on normal i'd died a dozen times already at this point.
UberPirateNinja is online now   Reply With Quote