PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Mafia 2 > Jimmy's Vendetta
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
PhyscoticScot

PhyscoticScot's Gamercard
Things You Hate About JV DLC

I forgave the makers of Mafia 2 for there stupid wanted poster achievement. Who was it as i look at every one of those faces from those posters came up with the idea "Hey you know what would be cool if we dressed up like gangsters and did mug shots put them as wanted posters all around the city".

First of ask the question would you yourself want to go looking around for a bunch of random posters?

Would you find this an entertaining experience that adds to your overall enjoyment of the game?

And i think the answer would be no.

Im seriously thinking now it doesn't take that much brains to make a game. My belief that it takes talent to build realstic worlds and complex mechanics to govern them is all but with almost every game these days, falling apart.

And JV is just the latest example. So they went for the contrived cinematic storyline with bare minimal freeplay of course not realising that a 20 hour story is less enduring than a large amount free play. Oh wait of course they realised that they just decided to release it in small teasing waves of DLC to take more money out our pockets.

Ahh but they failed to think this through as they opened up more free play in the game. Example being the cops. Now while the cops worked well in the minimal freeplay but now in a larger free play game they just don't work with the new mission structures.

So as your trying to fire away at some gangsters bobby on the beat comes walking along instant shoot to kill and before long all his friends have come to join.

But wait maybe im doing something wrong perhaps the head on approach is not the way. Ok lets go round the back and flank them oh and another random cop/cop car driving past see's me/here's the gun fire.

What makes it worse is all the missions are timed. So your speeding about in your car to get away as quickly as possible before long your being chased for a speeding ticket or a hit and run.

Seriously WTF. Why oh why do game designers not think this really really simple stuff through. Different missions structures means there should be different AI.

Last edited by PhyscoticScot; 09-08-2010 at 12:19 AM.
PhyscoticScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Murgatroyd7

Murgatroyd7's Gamercard
So far, I haven't had anymore trouble with the cops than I did in the main game. My main complaint about JV is that it's just really boring compared to Vito's story. I'm not enjoying this aimless mission hunting at all. I'd like to know who the hell thought making it free-roam was a good idea. I do enjoy that I now get to play more of the game, but I'm really disappointed by the lack of structure.
Murgatroyd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
Scottish Sin

Scottish Sin's Gamercard
I agree about the cops. They have been more of a pain this time around than they ever were because a lot of the action takes place outside within the city instead of in doors.

That and with the timed missions you're always rushing and there's so much police around that one of them will catch you speeding and that just adds to the frustration.

My biggest pet peeve is having to restart the entire mission when you get killed, especially if you're at the end of it and it happens to be the random police officer that saw you shooting in the first place. That's happened to me a few times.

I played through the game on hard and I'm having more trouble with this DLC than I ever had with the full game. I love the game but I'm really not feeling this DLC, especially since the story is non existant and that was Mafia II's strongest point.
Scottish Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
PhyscoticScot

PhyscoticScot's Gamercard
On another note i think Jimmy looks like Frank Butcher.

PhyscoticScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
RYAN ARKISON

BiG J0Ck ST3iN's Gamercard
i think they should have left this dlc to last and make one which continues the story
RYAN ARKISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
neeker75

neeker75's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I hate the requirement for 1 million freaking points.

Then again it'd be easy without the cops.

So, ok, the cops.
neeker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
gezarelli83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyscoticScot View Post
On another note i think Jimmy looks like Frank Butcher.

HAHAHA..... thank you i nearly pissed myself.(there is an outfit in game that looks similar to what he is wearing in that pic)

JV will never be the same again for me.

PAAAAAATTTT!
gezarelli83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
syn201

run187's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
having to redo achievements that I had already unlocked needed to recover
my profile it was corrupt somehow download it checked xbox.com first everything there that I had start downloading profile watch some tv go back to 360 playboy ,headshot,blow up 100 cars and finish a mission and x10 multi all of which I had unlocked became locked again piss take
same crap happened to me with the Simpsons game unlocked them all in the correct order download profile after it was corrupt somehow everyone cam back in wrong order

now iv got simpsons in wrong order and jv out of order due to ms

the 1000 miles is like the biggest joke for 10g that iv ever seen

just need the headshots and blow up 100 cars ill start a new game again on another save to get them both even though iv done it once already

could be worse I suppose i could have to do the bastardised no fighting in the war room on vet on cod 4 again ..

Anyone using the terms "lad","swag","COOL STORY BRO" will be insta ignored..
syn201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Murgatroyd7

Murgatroyd7's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Sin View Post
I love the game but I'm really not feeling this DLC, especially since the story is non existant and that was Mafia II's strongest point.
My sentiments exactly.
Murgatroyd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
Langeboy

Langeboy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Feels quite repetitive - a GTA feel, do this, do that, shoot this, steal that.
Langeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #11
KeepEmRolling

KeepEmRolling's Gamercard

Pretty much agree with your complaints about the game. One thing I found really interesting regarding the cops, at least in an early mission, is that if you put an objective you need to destroy between u and the enemy, and the enemy destroys your objective, the cops leave u alone and shoot them dead.
KeepEmRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
Kramericus

I have to strongly agree about the cop complaint. If they were going to put many of the missions out in the open right where cops randomly patrol they should have at least given you the ability to preemptively bribe them
Old 09-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #13
Cortex369
Banned User

Duppy x Mobster's Gamercard
time missions

wtf why do they need to put every mission timed
Cortex369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
RadiantViper

RadiantViper's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Overall, I don't think I hate this DLC, but I don't love it either. It's perfectly average. I really wish they would have sprung for some voice work and cutscenes. They could've made them quick and to the point to fit the 'arcade' feel. Ah well, it's nothing amazing but I've played worse.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
friedmad

cribbet's Gamercard
they also broke new ground by introducing the much-anticipated 'scrubbing urinals' gaming activity. i would have liked instead to have been given the option of telling the guard to go eff himself, or at least fighting him for his baton so i could stick it up his where-the-sun-dont-shine after he peed in the freshly-scrubbed urinal
friedmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
Barad
Maximum Club's Warrior

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   Micro Guide - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Community Gaming - Diamond   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   VGO Team Award - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 25 (more» ...)
The 1 mill points, the 1000 miles and the cops.

Become a Subscriber | Become an Ambassador | Become an Artist | Community Gaming

Last Completion - Titanfall (X1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragarach Luin View Post
Barad's phone contains no games, only the numbers of various supermodels.
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:19 AM   #17
Cookie25

SnowyCookie's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaybarad View Post
The 1 mill points, the 1000 miles and the cops.
^^^^ agree these are the worst things about the DLC
Cookie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
DeathStarkill

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
F%$# the EXPLORER achievement! Nuff said!

Everything else was actually fun. I actually liked that they got away from the story and went to a free play mode. But that is just me.

DeathStarkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
Beastmaster

Orge Lambart's Gamercard
I hate that stupid 1000 miles achievement.

Small city combined with police chasing you after going over 65 = major frustration. Atleast include some place we can go to drive around without worrying about police, like a race track or something.

I didn't have a problem with any other parts of JV, although the patch has made my game freeze up more than a few times.
Beastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #20
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I hate many things about this DLC. First, this stupid point system with an achievement that requires to get 1 000 000 points but fortunately someone found a way to glitch it so it takes 3 hours. Second, like in the main game, there are not any odd jobs, I mean it's an opened sandbox and there is nothing to do beetween missions like I don't know... races for example. Finally, the most stupid thing about JV, the Explorer achievement. All right, I'll be honest and bought it on deal of the week but still, 5-6$ for 10 boring hours of grinding to get 1000 miles is total shit. I hope JA, which I will do next, is better with no stupid achievement.

Achievements completion : 99,41%
Gamerscore completion : 99,43%
Retail games completed : 76/80
I'm a completionist!!!

Currently working on Halo MCC, GTA 5 (X1).
Looking for partners to boost Saints Row 1 mp achievements

If you send a friend request, please send a message telling why, otherwise I will just ignore it
Snoop QC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Things I hate...
1. The money I spent on it.
2. Too many missions are timed.
3. And everything else not covered by #1 and #2.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Wortsenawl

wortsenawl's Gamercard

Guess I am in the minority... I really enjoyed it. Granted, I got the DLC as part of the directors cut, so at no extra cost, but it was a great reason to go back to Mafia II. I didn't find the timer to be an issue at all (plenty of time on all but one of the theft missions) and the cops... well so what, they get pissed off when you pull out a gun and start firing at it. Pretty sure that would be emulated in real life. I do agree though that it would be nice to be able to bribe in advance.

Next up, Joe's adventures

Join Now!

Completed Games - [70] - Retail [54] - Arcade [16]:
**Most Recent**
Mafia II (all DLC)
LoTR: War in the North
Batman Arkham City (+CW DLC)
Track n Field
Secret of Monkey Island: SE
Dark Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
First, let me say...you deserve to be banned, mocked, and flogged to death with a bag of dicks.
Wortsenawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
Wer Bn

Wer Bn's Gamercard
The cops screwed the missions. 90% of them, at least.
And the achievs. Ridiculous.
Wer Bn is offline   Reply With Quote