Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Br0kenAssass1n

br0kenassass1n's Gamercard
Your Interpretation of People (On Here/Forums)

Simple enough question; Do you build a mental image about someone (be it physical or even their personality) from people's posts? I s'pose it's a pretty generic question, but I'm intrigued to know if I'm the only one that does it.

For example, there's several people around here that when I've seen them post somewhere, I straight away think they're going to be stupid, idiotic responses, simply because of their older posts. The same can be said for some other people, but instead of thinking they're stupid posts, I think they're more intelligent and therefore go out of my way to read them.

So yeah, do you do this? Or am I alone in this matter?

Lifetime fan of Sarcasm

Trolling is an artform.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Z3R0 S1X

z3r0 s1x's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
You aren't alone in thinking this way; sometimes I come up with a mental image of someone based on how well they use grammer when they post. If they can make a well thought out post or start a thread that hasn't been touched upon before that actually sparks a discussion, then I tend to think that person has some intelligence. However if they can't even use the English language correctly let alone intelligently, I tend to think of them as an idiot. Sometimes I do this with people in real life but I keep my opinions to myself unless they are a famous person.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Nitramuse

Nitramuse's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0 S1X View Post
You aren't alone in thinking this way; sometimes I come up with a mental image of someone based on how well they use grammer when they post. If they can make a well thought out post or start a thread that hasn't been touched upon before that actually sparks a discussion, then I tend to think that person has some intelligence. However if they can't even use the English language correctly let alone intelligently, I tend to think of them as an idiot. Sometimes I do this with people in real life but I keep my opinions to myself unless they are a famous person.
True, I believe that most people builds up an imaginary image of some person online.

I hate it when someone talks like "i dunno wut to do cuz my mom isnt here lol sometimes i forget to eat maybe i shuld just go and buy a pizza lol"
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Agent Aero

Aero x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Gold   x360a Representer   Over Achiever - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Yeah i do it aswell. There's quite a few forum members who irritate the crap out me with their posts/threads/opinions, they're also pretty rude aswell. Usually if i see the last post in a thread is by one of these members, i try to avoid it.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Daiphyer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Daiphyer.

M2JH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I tend to do that sometimes. However I do not judge people's intelligence based on their grammar. Grammar has nothing to do with intelligence. Are foreign people stupid because they don't know English grammar? However, that does tend to be the case sometimes cause you see people writing like retards and you can't help but think that they're retards.
As far as attitudes go, I believe this forum has the most kind and mature users in between the gaming forums that I visit.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
jamie1000013

D Mob x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Genre Competition - Second Place   2,500 Posts   x360a Representer   Completion Competition Winner   Word of Mouth   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
I always do this and they are never what you perceive them to be. Over XBL I think I can judge someone's appearance by their voice but I am always wrong when I see a picture.

Also a question to OP. Do you ever get your interpretations correct? i.e you look in the faces of x360a and you see a user that looked exactly like you perceived him to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent aero
Yeah i do it aswell. There's quite a few forum members who irritate the crap out me with their posts/threads/opinions, they're also pretty rude aswell. Usually if i see the last post in a thread is by one of these members, i try to avoid it.
So that's why I never see you post in my threads :-P.

I may just be jumping to conclusions but are some of these comments aimed at me? lol. I do post quite regularly but quite a few people I think post the same amount as I do. I try not to "spam" but I like getting involved in most discussions on here :-). Sorry, I'm always this paranoid.

Thank you Audacious for the sig

Last edited by jamie1000013; 09-08-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
dakisbac
tl;dr

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
I think everybody does it to an extent. I've never tried to imagine anyone's physical appearance but I do make judgements about their personality once I've read a few posts. I wouldn't say I go out of my way to read posts by people I deem intelligent nor do I go out of my way to ignore posts by people I think are idiots though - for the most part I read every reply in a thread. However, when I do arrive at a familiar name I might decide to read it more thoroughly/skim it depending on the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiphyer. View Post
As far as attitudes go, I believe this forum has the most kind and mature users in between the gaming forums that I visit.
I agree. The only other gaming forum I used to visit was GameFAQs and that place is a fucking disaster. Unfortunately it's not too different from the comments on the news articles here.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
shocellist

shocellist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze
Quote:
However I do not judge people's intelligence based on their grammar. Grammar has nothing to do with intelligence. Are foreign people stupid because they don't know English grammar? However, that does tend to be the case sometimes cause you see people writing like retards and you can't help but think that they're retards.
I agree. Everybody makes grammatical mistakes when using English. There are so many rules and exceptions and expecting that every single sentence is grammatically perfect is unreasonable.
However, when somebody has a complete lack of writing "etiquette", my impression of that person drops. By "etiquette" I mean using capitals and punctuation where appropriate, and nawt speling lyk thi5 allof teh tiem bcuz it herts mai brane 2 reed.

Quote:
I believe this forum has the most kind and mature users. Period. You don't find this level of maturity much elsewhere.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
PerpetualHeaven

Send a message via MSN to PerpetualHeaven

Perpalicious's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Gold   x360a Book Club   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Achievement Guide - Gold   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Nah, I don't. I always end up guessing wrong or end up disappointed. The thing that bothers me the most is how guys always give a girl a lot of attention. These gentlemen see the female's picture and go all crazy for it. I see it and I'm wondering, "Man, these guys are desperate." In cases like that then I guess the guys are very mediocre looking. I end up being right 100% of the time. Yes, I judge men.

Quote:
The people over at TA would disagree with you there.
Achievement Completion %: 97.04
Gamerscore: 68,482

"Don't hate, perpetuate!"
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
NomoreNiceGuy

NoMoreNiceGuy's Gamercard
Sometimes, if a guy is trolling i imagine him with glasses in a dark room

Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
RuggersAssassin

Send a message via AIM to RuggersAssassin

RuggersAssassin's Gamercard

I usually do the same thing. If someone has better grammar or a more sophisticated manner of writing I see them as someone who may be a little bit older and mature. Someone who has awful grammar or who can't type well I see as a younger person. This is usually always wrong though haha. I don't know why I see this, but I do. Sometimes a mental image of a forum person comes to mind, but that too is usually wrong. I just base it on grammar and writing style, that really is all you can do to identify someone on a forum. I usually get use to this and skip posts by people who tend to have persistent bad grammar.

^Thanks to SeedyEvil for the Sig^
Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
Genesis x360a

Schluballybub's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Gold   Road Map - Gold   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   Submit - Bronze   Call of Duty: WaW Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   Subscriber Uno - Third Place   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Sometimes i do, other times i dont. I think a few people on the forums are absolute arseholes and irl i wouldnt give them the steam off my shit and members probally feel the same way towards me but most of the time the most active members are gems

Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Chickenpotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0 S1X View Post
lolzs i ageree with yu lulz i h8 when nubz dun speak proper enlish.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #14
iBlessing 09
Banned User

Rare Name's Gamercard

I interpret them from there avatar because there avatars meant to look like them. Before you ask, no, I'm not a blue plasma ball, that looks like a jellyfish, in space.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
hodge

Hodge x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I never realised that I did this until I read this thread. Everyone gets judged day to day, whether it be the way they talk, act, dress etc, so this isn't much different. I don't think there is anyone on this site I've built a negative image of (well except for one person).

Saying that, I do get quite paranoid about what people's image of me is. If it's a negative one, I'm sorry.... =P

Why not follow me on Twitter
Or add me on TA (Need more friends people!)

Always let me know you're from x360a though =]
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
Seraphias
Subscribing Member

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Agree with a fair few here, it's impossible not to get some impression about people if you've seen them posting or talking with them a few times. I don't think it's as pronounced as it is when actually meeting people face to face though where a first impression can be very hard to shift. With just words on a page it's easier to change views or take take each post as it comes.

What I do find interesting is how different people are from what you expect (personality wise) when you do meet them (Mind you I've met hardly anyone I first was in contact with online, bit old fashioned I guess). Maybe the anonymity of the internet or ability to articulate things better with text comes into it somewhat but I was left thinking "Is this really the person one typed XXXX" could never see them saying it in person. That scything intellectual turns out to be a mumbling, shy recluse etc. (true pretty much internet wide that though) So even if you do get an impression of someone it's hard to separate fact from fiction. Then you have to think is their online persona fake or just how they actually think and can't otherwise get out there. (wonder what sociologists make of it all)

I don't get mental images of how people look though, can't really see how you could on a forum but oddly enough, no matter who they are or how they look at the end of the day, I'm always surprised.

Might be a good place to toss this out as well, I always find it amusing when folk talk about forum personalities anyway:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

Last edited by Seraphias; 09-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
jamie1000013

D Mob x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Genre Competition - Second Place   2,500 Posts   x360a Representer   Completion Competition Winner   Word of Mouth   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge View Post
I never realised that I did this until I read this thread. Everyone gets judged day to day, whether it be the way they talk, act, dress etc, so this isn't much different. I don't think there is anyone on this site I've built a negative image of (well except for one person).

Saying that, I do get quite paranoid about what people's image of me is. If it's a negative one, I'm sorry.... =P

Who is this one person? :-S. Probably not the same person as Agent Aero but you have got me curious. Tell me if it's me and I'll try to be less annoying lol.

I also do this in books and when you see it on film the person is never like how you imagined lol.

Last edited by jamie1000013; 09-09-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
EliteShadowMan

EliteShadowMan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I hope no ones talking about me or i'm gonna cry lol

Well i usually do tend to base someones appearance on their avatar and decide if they are smart or not depending on their opinions and if they have ideas that support them and not just blatant bashing on subjects.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
hodge

Hodge x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1000013 View Post
Who is this one person? :-S. Probably not the same person as Agent Aero but you have got me curious. Tell me if it's me and I'll try to be less annoying lol.
I'm not sure if it's the same person as Aero, but it's not you so don't worry. I won't say who it is because I don't want to slander anyone publically

Why not follow me on Twitter
Or add me on TA (Need more friends people!)

Always let me know you're from x360a though =]
Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #20
Puppet Master

No I don't put enough thought into peoples posts to do it and on message boards period I don't remember who people are well enough to actually have an impression.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #21
newbsicle

zymotic's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I've said a lot of stupid things on this forum and others. It may or may not speak volumes about my intelligence, I don't know. And I also come off as hostile to people who don't really know me. Especially on the xbox.com/forums.

I remember joining a game with one friend and he was speaking to someone about me and said, "Yeah, he's really hostile sometimes." Which I thought was funny because I consider myself easy going, just flat-out blunt.

Back on topic:

There's actually one person on this site I try to avoid based on some of the previous posts of his that I have read. He seems like such a **** that I go out of my way to avoid confrontation with him. The majority of people (unless they're friends of mine) I don't label in any kind of way.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #22
jamie1000013

D Mob x360a's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbsicle View Post
I've said a lot of stupid things on this forum and others. It may or may not speak volumes about my intelligence, I don't know. And I also come off as hostile to people who don't really know me. Especially on the xbox.com/forums.

I remember joining a game with one friend and he was speaking to someone about me and said, "Yeah, he's really hostile sometimes." Which I thought was funny because I consider myself easy going, just flat-out blunt.

Back on topic:

There's actually one person on this site I try to avoid based on some of the previous posts of his that I have read. He seems like such a **** that I go out of my way to avoid confrontation with him. The majority of people (unless they're friends of mine) I don't label in any kind of way.

LOL, who is this one person. Everybody on this site seems to have this "one person" even "the person" has a "person" they don't like lol. I just confused myself with that last sentence :-P. I don't hold a grudge about any bad comments said about me by someone, I just forgive and forget lol. Except you know that one "person".

Last edited by jamie1000013; 09-12-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #23
Br0kenAssass1n

br0kenassass1n's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1000013 View Post
LOL, who is this one person. Everybody on this site seems to have this "one person" even "the person" has a "person" they don't like lol. I just confused myself with that last sentence :-P. I don't hold a grudge about any bad comments said about me by someone, I just forgive and forget lol. Except you know that one "person".
I'm intrigued also, shall we start an investigation? Maybe it IS Vlad. We'll start there.

@Elite. I'm not trying to say anything. Also, it's irritating when people shorten your name, isn't it?

Lifetime fan of Sarcasm

Trolling is an artform.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #24
Cursed0live

Cursed 0live's Gamercard
Yes, I kind of do. But it takes a few days of posting with a person or so for me to really get an image of what I think they are like. Though I am new to these forums I have been a member of another forum site for 3-5 years, it has been so long I can't remember exactly haha, but I defiantly get it in my mind what someone's personality is like IRL or what they look like from what they post online. Though I suppose this is a pretty narrow view of a person to really make that assumption, but hey what are you gonna do it happens lol!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #25
itsmehienz

itsmehienz's Gamercard
Yes i do this i also look at a piture of someone in a magazine and imagine what they are really like.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #26
scarface

lt jim dangle69's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Yes, I do. Whenever I see itsmehienz...I start thinking about beans.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #27
SKIBADABOMSKI

CRISP EATERS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface View Post
Yes, I do. Whenever I see itsmehienz...I start thinking about beans.
Hahaha it's like " Whoa man your farts stink " soz man but itsmehienz.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #28
Brutalsleeper

Brutalsleeper's Gamercard
I definatley do this, not on looks though. just personality and age.
I only really remember those people I think are really cool guys and gals and as for the "One Guy" I sorta have my guy/gal and sorta don't. There's a fairly regular name that I see mentioned a lot and a see a lot of his/her posts but I find that I never agree with his opinions and they are always border line spam but so far no official punishment so I know he/her isn't a problem and it's just me not liking someone.

Ps Just to settle things he hasn't yet posted on this thread.

Oh and if you have ever had any judgements about me feel free to share (publicly or privately) I'm able to take critasicism. (Although loads and loads of compliments will be much better.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
But the dig site is on the other side of the city!.
Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #29
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Oh boy I'm going to be that guy but here I go...I've built up a mental image on various users and I WILL NAME NAMES...though not to insult. I can only imagine what some of you think of me...;>_>

Barbaric Goose...it's your avatar ._. I see Steve Jobs and I'm automatically picturing him typing these messages. And the thing is...I hate Steve Jobs, he's such an arrogant prick that throws his products out there and if something's wrong with it, you can go ahead and blame him. Especially "claiming the Iphone as the best portable gaming console"...talk about trying to fill big shoes. Though as a person, I view you as an intellectual with a snarky attitude which isn't a bad thing. If I'd have to make a guess on your actual appearance...I'd probably be dead wrong.

Saiyu ..I can't remember if you're the guy from Germany or not, but I know someone that started with an S used to have this guy in his avatar that looked like James Franco and whenever he posted, I always pictured James Franco .__. though he was kind of an everyguy kind of nice person so I didn't have any negative image of him. James Franco works!

Takamura Bear...one of the people I socialize most with on this site I view as...well, since I haven't seen pictures ;>_> I kind of view him as a uh...anime character! X_X; Actually lol...that black guy he had in his signature (on two seperate occassions) is what I sometimes picture him as...;>___> the one with the moving head, kind of reminded me of Paul Mooney but I'm probably wrong.

TitansofWar ...I haven't talked with this guy in forever but...he always seemed like an old fashioned republican. ;>_> he's very right-wing and not to be offensive...but I viewed him as older than most people on this site.

And then there's that one girl I really disliked, I can NOT remember her name but she always entered every topic with a negative remark about it. She finally got banned and her account was returned, but she hasn't posted since that point. She was pretty popular around here from what I heard...and very egotistical about her appearance (she assumed every gamer wanted a piece of her just cause she was a woman...yeah right...lol).

As for me, well I come off in many different forms. Sometimes completely idiotic and sometimes I make myself out like a know-it-all. But I try to be as nice as possible and be the good guy without pissing off a lot of people. I hope I'm not seen as a giant turd .___.; I mean I'm in the Faces thread and I used to have my Hollow Mask picture for the longest while...if anything, I'd like to be viewed as uh...hm...something pleasant.

This topic has me paranoid ;>_> people not mentioning names yet I'm the one who actually said a few...not trying to be offensive (but I tried REALLY HARD not to be overly bad with Iconolaust or whatever, the girl I mentioned and Titan...both rude people in their own right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
I'll support any post of CrazyMv94's that isn't whining from lack of social connection.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #30
BarbaricGoose

Richard Bastion's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
Barbaric Goose...as a person, I view you as an intellectual with a snarky attitude which isn't a bad thing. If I'd have to make a guess on your actual appearance...I'd probably be dead wrong.
I wouldn't call myself snarky. In fact, it's quite difficult to make me mad. I'm very passionate about certain things, though. Passion is, unfortunately, often confused with anger, or "QQ," as some would say. I hate those people, by the way. They should buy a dictionary. And then hit themselves in the face with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
very egotistical about her appearance (she assumed every gamer wanted a piece of her just cause she was a woman...yeah right...lol).
Hell, I wanted a piece of her; she was a good lookin' girl. But no more than I wanted, say, a piece of cake. Now Christina Hendricks, that's a woman. And that is a woman that I would like quite a bit more than a piece of cake.

Closed Thread