PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Dial up Pro

The ending[major spoilers]

Ok so i just beat this game and would like to know what the fuck happened after the credits rolled.

From what i gathered, belmont turns into dracula and zobek didnt die and is still Death. an interesting ending that actually had something to do with castelvania unlike the rest of the game. But wtf was with the modern day setting? Is this game even considered cannon? Not that the castelvania universe has an amazing history/story, but I am a fan of it.
Dial up Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Aquaman6686

Aquaman6686's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dial up Pro View Post
Ok so i just beat this game and would like to know what the fuck happened after the credits rolled.

From what i gathered, belmont turns into dracula and zobek didnt die and is still Death. an interesting ending that actually had something to do with castelvania unlike the rest of the game. But wtf was with the modern day setting? Is this game even considered cannon? Not that the castelvania universe has an amazing history/story, but I am a fan of it.
Konami stated months ago that this game is NOT canon. Lords of Shadow takes place in an entirely different universe than other CastleVania games. If they make a sequel, Lords of Shadow is the first game in a new series. If not, its a standalone title.

Anyway, I for one HATE the ending of this game. It makes me feel like I wasted my time playing it. Why did Gabriel go through all that crap only to become the very thing he fought all this time? WTF?
Aquaman6686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Dial up Pro

Ok im glad its not cannon, i was going through the game hoping that somehow dracula would make an appearance or be the last boss for no reason.

After all the cliched non sense that already had happened up to this point i dont really mind the ending except for the modern day thing, i dont understand that at all.
Dial up Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Miles Prower CC
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Miles Prower CC Send a message via Yahoo to Miles Prower CC

Miles Prower CC's Gamercard
I thought the ending was way too over the top, and was solved with lame deux ex machina.

Zobek turning evil was predictable amd lame, then even lamer is that Satan pops out of literally no where and kills him even though there is absolutely no indication of his involvement. Then you use some magical power to become all mighty and beat up SATAN of all things Dragon Ball Z style to save the world...

Then you turn into Dracula, Zobek isn't dead and we're in modern times?

All I can say is that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is deffinitely not story driven. You can barely take the story seriously.
Miles Prower CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Aquaman6686

Aquaman6686's Gamercard
I thought the story was amazing for the first two Lords. Then the entire third act of the game is one giant WTF moment after another. I saw Zobek's betrayal coming from a mile away, not only from the not-so-subtle hints he drops but from his name, which I took as a variation of Sobek, another name for Famine, the Horseman of the Apocalypse. Then Satan shows up for no apparent reason and kills Zobek, then it turns into a giant Dragon Ball Z fight, as was mentioned above.

I don't have a problem with the modern day aspect of the epilogue, as two immortals would have no problem surviving to the modern day (and its always possible that the "Zobek" killed by Satan was a decoy of some type), my problem is Gabriel becoming Dracula. It just makes NO SENSE at all. He went through all that crap to get redemption, and then turns evil and declares himself the Prince of Darkness? That is just the lamest plot twist I've ever heard of.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Miles Prower CC
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Miles Prower CC Send a message via Yahoo to Miles Prower CC

Miles Prower CC's Gamercard
Gabriel looks like the most crap Dracula, I mean look at him!

He is so incredibly emaciated that he looks like the starving people in Africa.
His hair is not the luxurious wavy hair of the old Dracula but instead long straight Sephiroth's hair.
His skin is so ancient and wrinkly looking, Dracula is supposed to be handsome and manly looking.
He has no facial hair, Dracula looked regal and aristocratic, dressed in the finest of clothes sporting a well trimmed mustache and goatee.
He doesn't even sound like he should be Dracula. Dracule spoke like the high borne, well educated and refined.

You don't even need to be a Castlevania purist, you just have to want a Dracula that doesn't look like total crap. I mean here's the Dracula people want to see.

Maybe Gabriel will actually go out an east something and get some meat on his bones, buy some clothes that don't look like crap, go to a hair dresser and get his hair styled properly and stop being an emo piece of crap.
Miles Prower CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
etrenocturne

Odinh4x's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman6686 View Post
Konami stated months ago that this game is NOT canon. Lords of Shadow takes place in an entirely different universe than other CastleVania games. If they make a sequel, Lords of Shadow is the first game in a new series. If not, its a standalone title.

Anyway, I for one HATE the ending of this game. It makes me feel like I wasted my time playing it. Why did Gabriel go through all that crap only to become the very thing he fought all this time? WTF?
Haha the entire reason you hate the ending is the reason I LOVE it!!! Its completely against cliche. No happy ending FTW! It surprised the hell out of me! I LOVE that!! Kojima<3

etrenocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
Virus2Die

Virus2Die's Gamercard

ole ole what an ending

i dont know , i believe that , what some people think to , he drinks no blood , and kept hiding .

i dont think that we are going to play in the new world , i think they will send us trough an new Portal Mirror and let us play in an parallel universe ;9

But still if they would let us play in a new world , who wants that ???

hmmm dont know , but what i know , i LOVE THE GAME

i hope it will become a new Castlevania Line / series what ever .

I think we should be thankful even with this ending , that Kojima pict out this old Character and made a Game for us in 2010.

So maybe next year an sequel or another part ?

Last edited by Virus2Die; 11-04-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Virus2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
KenshPT

KenshPT's Gamercard
Any news about the DLC?
KenshPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
Burntid

I noticed alot of people saying how does Gabriel turn into dracula / become evil , if you actaully read all the narators story at the beginning of each mission , it basically says how gabriel is slowly losing his mind , and in the end everything that he had fought for was pretty much useless (the mask scene at the end) from the storyline he was losing it and becoming "dark" throughout the game , he even says "he's done questionable things" , and at the end finding out that what he went through the whole time was a false hope would have simply broke his mind ,
guess that explains how he would become "evil" , dunno about the dracula thing tho , maybe go back and see if he was bittin in one of the cinimatics , dont remember atm , but either way i think it was a good ended opening up for a new series , and also for those who said its just another devil may cry reboot , ya its alot like devil may cry , but dont know how exactly you would make a castlevania games now adays like the old , i thought it was a pretty good concept there , just ask yourself how you would make a castlevania game today
Burntid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Talinth

Talinth's Gamercard
It's been stated by David Cox that the DLC will pick up right where the game ended, does this mean after Gabriel beat down Satan or after he pulled his "vanish stunt" in present day like we see after credits.

If it does take place right after Satan got fucked tons of cool shit could happen, but if it takes place in the present day it could turn....odd :S

Talinth.se
Talinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
Aquaman6686

Aquaman6686's Gamercard
I think Satan revealing he was the mastermind behind everything was the most random and "out of left field" plot twist I've ever seen. I think the DLC should continue that:

After Gabriel defeats and banishes Satan, it could be revealed that Satan was, in fact, working for General Zod the whole time. After refusing to kneel before Zod and defeating him in a massive battle, Gabriel is then blindsided by Brainiac, who reveals that Zod was working for him all along. After entering the computer world and deleting Brainiac, Gabriel is attacked by Godzilla. Gabriel climbs into Godzilla's ear and into his brain, where he discovers Luthorcorp microchips controlling Godzilla. Gabriel is then ambushed by Lex Luthor in his powersuit, while still inside Godzilla's brain. After defeating Luthor and getting out of Godzilla's head, Gabriel is attacked by a T-1000, sent by Skynet to ensure that the master plan all goes swimmingly. Gabriel melts the T-1000 with his flaming shadow magic whip of doom, but is attacked by Mysterio, who reveals that all the events of the past several months were an illusion created by him, to drive Gabriel insane.

Then its revealed that the entire game was a computer simulation created by Batman, who wanted a strategy in place in case Satan, Lex Luthor, General Zod, Brainiac, Mysterio and Skynet all decided to work together.

Yup, thats how random and pointless I feel Satan's inclusion in the game was.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
gunstarvector

Castlevania is a series that I have a lot of fond memories of and to see a Belmont become Dracula just has me completely dumbfounded. I was really hoping for Zobek to become Dracula.
I hope they ditch the modern setting for the sequel and stick to the Dark Ages. Maybe even bring back Simon Belmont.

A bit off topic, but did anyone else notice the Slorga cameo?
gunstarvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
JPX Brutality

JPX Brutality's Gamercard
I think the epilogue ending makes complete sense if you pay attention to the events after Gabriel defeats Satan. First off Death is Death so how can Death die? He can't hints why Zobek is still around and Satan did not kill him. Secondly Gabriel is more of a tragic hero in this tail. Everyone seeks redemption as Gabriel did yet to receive forgiveness you must learn from your mistakes and this is what Gabriel failed to do. If you notice after the trapped souls grant Gabriel a second chance and he finishes Satan off he is left to live on Earth as a sort of thank you for saving the world. Gabriel does not appreciate this gift from god and thus he gave a false redemption in that what really drove Gabriel was his willingness to do anything to be with Marie again. I will be willing to bet that the dlc will outline this well with his tragic downfall from savior of the world to what we see as the mighty Dracula. Back to why I loved the ending though. I was not surprised by Zobek's betrayal, yet was surprised by him being the final Lord of Shadow. I loved the final fight with Satan(even though completely random) I felt it really put the magic system to good use. I always felt throughout the game that the magic need more depth than just light heals, shadow does more damage and the final fight was super fun with infinite magic. One of my favorite videogame endings hands down. Granted this was my first Castlevania game so I believe I am unbiased in that respect.
JPX Brutality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
Burntid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman6686 View Post
I think Satan revealing he was the mastermind behind everything was the most random and "out of left field" plot twist I've ever seen. I think the DLC should continue that:

After Gabriel defeats and banishes Satan, it could be revealed that Satan was, in fact, working for General Zod the whole time. After refusing to kneel before Zod and defeating him in a massive battle, Gabriel is then blindsided by Brainiac, who reveals that Zod was working for him all along. After entering the computer world and deleting Brainiac, Gabriel is attacked by Godzilla. Gabriel climbs into Godzilla's ear and into his brain, where he discovers Luthorcorp microchips controlling Godzilla. Gabriel is then ambushed by Lex Luthor in his powersuit, while still inside Godzilla's brain. After defeating Luthor and getting out of Godzilla's head, Gabriel is attacked by a T-1000, sent by Skynet to ensure that the master plan all goes swimmingly. Gabriel melts the T-1000 with his flaming shadow magic whip of doom, but is attacked by Mysterio, who reveals that all the events of the past several months were an illusion created by him, to drive Gabriel insane.

Then its revealed that the entire game was a computer simulation created by Batman, who wanted a strategy in place in case Satan, Lex Luthor, General Zod, Brainiac, Mysterio and Skynet all decided to work together.

Yup, thats how random and pointless I feel Satan's inclusion in the game was.
I would buy that game
Burntid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
I thought it ended awesomely. Having a Belmont become Dracula really turns the Castlevania mythos on it's ear and I'm itching to see what direction it goes in (I heard it mentioned on Kotaku, I believe, Mecury Steam was interested in using the Alucard character, though no specifics were given). The only issues I had with the ending were 1.) How did Gabriel become Dracula (Laura??? Never really cleared up her fate. Or, as one poster earlier mentioned, perhaps it's his Darkside left behind like the other Lords of Shadow). 2.) How was Zobek resurrected/not die. Hopefully everything gets cleared up in the DLC. Having Satan be the surprise puppet master wasn't really all that shocking considering the religious tones already in the game with references to God and what have you. I thought the ending was definitely one of the best in quite some time.

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #17
Lord Griever

L0rd Griever's Gamercard
i think the ending was good it left me woundering like, gabriel miight have died and this is his evil side left behind and he looks so haggard cause he probelly has had countless run in with the belmonts, its in the present time so for sure ppl have hunted him. and i like that he looks so old and worn because dracula can make himself young again just like in bram stokers. i love how he is sitting there it reminds me of lestat when louis sees him in the cematary years later. i would love a sequel with simon hunting gabrial using the combat cross aka the vampire killer. i for one loved this game in its 3d form and i thought that aside from the stupid button glitches it was great well done
Lord Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
pdottz

Considering there's lots people here who have been here from the beginning of the series (me included) there should be some clarification.

This is a brand new direction in the series. This game is not cannon because it is actually a reboot of the series. The birth of Dracula is actually explained in Lament of Innocence for the ps2 - go play that. very awesome game . Also explains why the Belmonts have always hunted Dracula

I loved Lords of Shadow. The ending was a twist no doubt but could mean many things. There where some elements from Symphony of the Night in that ending too. The skeleton of the Slogra when Zobek enters the chamber. Zobek himself is dressed in a robe that very much resembles Shaft from SotN.

But the ending itself is very open-ended.

- Gabriels dark side could have been left behind and became Dracul. I think this is Gabriel by himself who was granted immortality for whatever reason. He fought without any regard for anyone while he tried to bring back Marie. Once he found out he couldn't, he just pretty much wanted to die. The perfect punishment for everything he did would be to keep him from Marie (ie. Dying) Zobek, being Death could easily grant him mortality (what he wants) - but he wants Gabriel to help him first.

- Gabriel came back from purgatory where all the souls where trapped as an angel type being, maybe this is what granted him immortality as a side effect.

- Zobek dies and leaves his mask behind as the credits rolls before the epilogue movie. Maybe that caused Gabriels immortality.

Either way, I hope the DLC picks up after the Satan fight. I hope they don't destroy the game by doing it all wrong in modern times.

Being a reboot of the series (Gabriel being the first Belmont) It would make sense in this series as to why the Belmont clan always fights him. Lament of Innocence explains why for the original cannon series.

/rant
pdottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #19
Devolon

FKT DEVOLON's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdottz View Post
Considering there's lots people here who have been here from the beginning of the series (me included) there should be some clarification.

This is a brand new direction in the series. This game is not cannon because it is actually a reboot of the series. The birth of Dracula is actually explained in Lament of Innocence for the ps2 - go play that. very awesome game . Also explains why the Belmonts have always hunted Dracula

I loved Lords of Shadow. The ending was a twist no doubt but could mean many things. There where some elements from Symphony of the Night in that ending too. The skeleton of the Slogra when Zobek enters the chamber. Zobek himself is dressed in a robe that very much resembles Shaft from SotN.

But the ending itself is very open-ended.

- Gabriels dark side could have been left behind and became Dracul. I think this is Gabriel by himself who was granted immortality for whatever reason. He fought without any regard for anyone while he tried to bring back Marie. Once he found out he couldn't, he just pretty much wanted to die. The perfect punishment for everything he did would be to keep him from Marie (ie. Dying) Zobek, being Death could easily grant him mortality (what he wants) - but he wants Gabriel to help him first.

- Gabriel came back from purgatory where all the souls where trapped as an angel type being, maybe this is what granted him immortality as a side effect.

- Zobek dies and leaves his mask behind as the credits rolls before the epilogue movie. Maybe that caused Gabriels immortality.

Either way, I hope the DLC picks up after the Satan fight. I hope they don't destroy the game by doing it all wrong in modern times.

Being a reboot of the series (Gabriel being the first Belmont) It would make sense in this series as to why the Belmont clan always fights him. Lament of Innocence explains why for the original cannon series.

/rant
What bothers me is, Patrick Stewart always keeps on telling us that Gabriel is surrendering to his dark side, but this never really transpires into the gameplay, or even the cutscenes.

If you take the spoken introductions into account, yes the fact that he's turning into dracula makes sense - but the core of the game lacks any element that would make you feel that. Gabriel seems a good guy all along, and Robert Carlyle's acting never suggests that his character is losing it. And the game ending (final boss+ ending before the credits) is bona fide heroism. That post-credit-twist seems to come from nowhere.

... I admit that the vampire queen suggests that this resurrection thing comes with a catch, though. I didn't skip her cutscene during my Paladin run (that cleavage of hers brings a lot of rewatch value lol), and I guess she had a point. It looks like they didn't bring much clues in the main game because they wanted to protect their twist, bad idea IMO. And Zobek is such an obvious traitor, it kinda weakens the story's impact.

Last edited by Devolon; 10-28-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Devolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
Aurum Strife

Aurum Strife's Gamercard
I for one enjoyed this game start to finish. I like the ending of Gabriel becoming Dracula. As others have already stated it would make perfect sense as to why the Belmont Clan feels charged with defeating Dracula's Curse every time. Also, it skipped so far ahead, it is possible that he didn't turn right away. Maybe he eventually moved on from Marie and had a son that he passed the Vampire Killer onto then became Dracula someway.

For this game being a reboot, I tried to play through it not comparing it to the others and nitpicking difference. When you think of it on its own its amazing. Yes everyone is up in arms about the futuristic parts of the Epilogue. Why? I think it would be awesome. If Dracula resurrects every so odd years, why always place in the past. This could be really good if they do it right.

As for most of the questions people have trying to piece the ending together. There will be DLC and I am certain a sequel. Hopefully all will be explained then.
Aurum Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
FORSAKENxLegacy

x7Shadz 0f Grey's Gamercard
its a reboot so none of the past games tie into it
FORSAKENxLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote