PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Sports and Fitness > FIFA 11
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Anyone else sick of Europeans making fun of North Americans for not liking soccer?

Ok I know people like soccer more in Europe but I am still sick of you guys saying us Americans and Canadians don't know anything about soccer and don't like it. Ok so if we don't like it then why does my team average in the top 40 in the world in attendance at 36,000 selling out every match. We just opened up our stadium a bit more to 46,000 for an MLS regular season match to see if it will still sell out and guess what its still selling out at 46,000 on weekdays! Ok so if we are selling out at 46,000 seats every match and the whole entire crowd sings and has a jersey of the team on then how do we not like soccer? Are you guys telling me that every match 46,000 fans crowd into the stadium to watch soccer even though they don't like soccer? Also we tied England in the world cup so I don't know what else we need to do to prove we like soccer so ya...

Sorry for that little rant but it just gets on my nervs!

Last edited by Assasin13; 06-28-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Assasin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Did you really have to post the same thread in the FIFA 12 section too?

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
LThompson6

LThompson06's Gamercard
It's just a joke like saying Americans don't even know what it is because they don't even though what it's called, people understand a lot of Americans like football but theres more that make fun of it.

LThompson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
soloteg

soloteg's Gamercard
Don't worry about what other people think. If you love the game, you love the game. No worries.

Who cares if we call it something different? Same game.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
irobarmstrong

irobarmstrong's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assasin13 View Post
Ok I know people like soccer more in Europe but I am still sick of you guys saying us Americans and Canadians don't know anything about soccer and don't like it. Ok so if we don't like it then why does my team average in the top 15 in the world in attendance at 36,000 selling out every match. We just opened up our stadium a bit more to 46,000 for an MLS regular season match to see if it will still sell out and guess what its still selling out at 46,000 on weekdays! Ok so if we are selling out at 46,000 seats every match and the whole entire crowd sings and has a jersey of the team on then how do we not like soccer. Are you guys telling me that every match 46,000 fans crowd into the stadium to watch soccer even though they don't like soccer?

Sorry for that little rant but it just gets on my nervs!
Well your first flaw is calling it 'Soccer'. It is Football and even FIFA backs that one up. Secondly it is because your players on FIFA 11 are suspiciously highly rated. Donovan is an average player. But for some reason he is in the 80s which really isn't right. Thirdly you call that sorry excuse for rugby Football. If you call a game with pads and throwing the ball forward and the players think they are so hard because they play 'Football'. This sorry attitude disgraces the beautiful game and although sadly now we have some soft idiots falling over when a player comes near them and up the next second, Proper Football at the grass roots where you snap a man in two for the crack is the beautiful game.
These reasons are petty agree and some Americans will know what the deal is with Footy but a lot of Americans have the wrong attitude and it pisses us off so we stereotype and say you idiots who know nothing of the game.
irobarmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
gazmaster1

Gazmaster3D's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
firstly its called football, secondly its not a jersey its a football kit and finally i am only joking so chill your beans.

Destiny 1000/1000 22/02/2015
gazmaster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
MarcMus

Quote:
why does my team average in the top 15 in the world in attendance at 36,000 selling out every match
Just out of curiosity, where did you get that from? There are 29 clubs in Europe alone with average attendances above 40k....

Although I appreciate the perils of using wikipedia as a source
MarcMus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMus View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did you get that from? There are 29 clubs in Europe alone with average attendances above 40k....

Although I appreciate the perils of using wikipedia as a source
Sorry about that seems my sources were bad. But multiple sources do say top 40 so there, edited to say that
Go Sounders!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by irobarmstrong View Post
Well your first flaw is calling it 'Soccer'. It is Football and even FIFA backs that one up. Secondly it is because your players on FIFA 11 are suspiciously highly rated. Donovan is an average player. But for some reason he is in the 80s which really isn't right. Thirdly you call that sorry excuse for rugby Football. If you call a game with pads and throwing the ball forward and the players think they are so hard because they play 'Football'. This sorry attitude disgraces the beautiful game and although sadly now we have some soft idiots falling over when a player comes near them and up the next second, Proper Football at the grass roots where you snap a man in two for the crack is the beautiful game.
These reasons are petty agree and some Americans will know what the deal is with Footy but a lot of Americans have the wrong attitude and it pisses us off so we stereotype and say you idiots who know nothing of the game.
Why should it matter what I call the sport? Austrailians call rugby football and soccer soccer for christs sake. Plus Donovan is not an average player, unless the Bundesliga sucks because he has been loaned there and played well, and when you watch him he is just incredible, always scoring and assisting. Also you are blaming diving on us Americans? How typical.
Oh and hate to bring this up but I will, we beat you guys in the world cup so if we don't deserve to play soccer then I don't think you do either.

Last edited by Assasin13; 06-28-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
LThompson6

LThompson06's Gamercard
Quote:
Oh and hate to bring this up but I will, we beat you guys in the world cup so if we don't deserve to play soccer then I don't think you do either.
That doesn't look like tied to me.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Matt16594

Matt16594's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Ok I know people like soccer more in Europe but I am still sick of you guys saying us Americans and Canadians don't know anything about soccer and don't like it.
If you replace "us Americans" and put "most americans" then it is true

/end
Halo 3:ODST
Test Drive Unlimited 2

Matt16594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Bullitt24

Bullitt24's Gamercard
I love the game no matter what people over seas or here say. Football aka soccer is intense and keeps me on the edge of my seat. Just wish my friends would give Fifa 11 a shot so I can have some people to finally play with.
Bullitt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Morbido

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
If your talking about the 2010 world cup, you did not beat us, it was 1-1.

On why your mocked -

Teams with stupid gimmick names
No promotion/relegation
Calling kits, uniforms/jerseys
Absurd commentary - Man City Vs Ny red bulls in a friendly before the start of the 10/11 season was an embarrassment
Calling squads rosters
Using the word franchise

And last but not least why you will never under any circumstance be taken seriously, you call football that bastard s word.

Just re-read the title of your thread. I dont have a problem with you guys not liking football or anybody not liking whatever, its their opinion, everybodys different.

However what bugs me is when clowns (always yanks) come on threads about football. I.E news of the latest Fifa/Pro Evo games, achievements being revealed etc just to slag off the sport.

Heres what people who aren't attentian whores do, if they see something that they dont like they dont comment on it, simple.

I see the ncaa cheevos have been recently released, do you see any non-american bashing it? Nope, because nobody outside america cares enough to sign in and have a pop at it.

You have one English guy on it, asking a polite question.

Last edited by Morbido; 06-28-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Morbido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
institutions

institutions's Gamercard

Wow, the elitism.

I wasn't around back when they gave the sport the name "soccer" here in America. I had no say in the decision and neither did anyone else alive today.
We can't just start calling it football over here either, because that would cause too much confusion having football and American football.
The fact is that soccer is now a widely accepted alternative name to your sport, and you should probably just get the fuck over it.

Football was also a terrible name choice for the sport we play over here in the US, but again, none of us were around back then to have any say in it.
But now, after however many years the sport has been around, football has become a widely accepted term for it.

I don't have on opinion on the whole "rugby > american football" thing, because i've honestly never seen a rugby match, nor do I want to.
akiyama mio = mai waifu
-----

institutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
jackanape
Duchess Gummybuns

jackanape's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shiftie   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - rekikire   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff - Super Moderator   Road Map - Platinum   A+ Thread Award   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - TemporalWizard
Total Awards: 38 (more» ...)
Please stop posting that the US beat England at the World Cup - it was a draw, and it was only that because our goalie let in what can only be described as a complete howler.

The fact that after that game a bunch of US newspapers had headlines like WE WIN! is why so many English people have the attitude they do. If the big papers in the US cannot even grasp that a draw is NOT a win then what hope is there?

As for the whole football vs soccer thing I'm not even going to comment.

jackanape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbido View Post

On why your mocked -

No promotion/relegation
Absurd commentary - Man City Vs Ny red bulls in a friendly before the start of the 10/11 season was an embarrassment
Calling squads rosters
Using the word franchise
Ok if these are the reasons we are mocked then that is stupid.

Ok for teams with stupid gimmick names. What's wrong with that? If we enjoy giving our teams names so what? Some of them don't even have names anyways. For example Real Salt Lake doesn't have a name other than just that. Also over in Europe I am pretty sure there are teams such as the Amsterdam "Ajax" and Manchester United are often called the Red Devil so ya that is a pretty stupid reason.

Also what is wrong with no promotion/relegation? As a young footballing nation we do not have the means to be able to do this as it would pretty much kill the sport and besides this is how we have done our sports since the begginiing of us having sports, be it baseball, American football, basketball, or hockey.

Next, for us calling kits uniforms/jerseys let me get this straight. A kit is the combination of the top, shorts, and socks. While a jersey or shirt is just the top which us here in America be it any sport usually buy/wear. we don't walk around with our baseball jerseys, pants, socks, and belts and say to one another hey nice kit you got there. No we generally just wear the jersey. Here is a link to show that even in the UK the top is not called a kit http://www.uksoccershop.com/ Oh wait what was that? The UK shop is called soccer shop and yes everything is in pounds not dollars. AKA not an American shop

Next for the absurd commentary. The commentary is actually rather good here in America, at least our ESPN coverage which is the big sports station as well as my local teams commentator is good. Whereas Fox's coverage which was probably covering that match is a joke and I can't stand them. During pregame of the UEFA Champions League Final they said well this match is a much bigger event than the NFL regular season game here at Wembley a few months ago. Well no duh!!!!!!!! I guess that's what you get for putting NFL guys on the coverage oh well at least our other stations are good.

For calling squads rosters, I don't think I have ever heard and American call a squad a roster be it a regular person or a broadcaster they always have called them squads. Even during Fox's coverage of the UEFA Champions League Final.

Finally for using the word Franchise, it is the same as calling squads rosters, we actually call them clubs thank you very much. Even my team, Seattle Sounders FC uses the term club, hence the FC which means football club.

So there you go. Now lets see why else should they not like soccer or football whatever you want to call it. Oh because they weren't willing to switch the name of a popular American sport football so they can change the name of soccer to football due to the fact that Europeans call it that. Well lets see I'm pretty sure American football fans would be pretty pissed about that.

Well anyways goodbye.

Last edited by Assasin13; 07-04-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
khartoun

kHartouN's Gamercard
Despite it being internationally recognized as "football" around the world and it's referred to as "soccer" in America is why people conceive Americans arrogant towards the game, oh and MLS...

while I've got nothing against Americans who watch and love the game.. there are a lot of people over there who make the game look like a joke. Most popular sport in the world too might I add to justify the last sentence.

It's the same over here people call it soccer, annoys me especially when I read the word "soccer" in the newspaper..

oh and what cracked me up is that they spelled, in a popular newspaper, "Tottenham" "Tottingham" over here. australia and america aren't, in the near future, gonna be footballing nations.

if nfl (god such a boring sport :/) became popular in England it'd be exactly the same.. just americans conceiving english people as idiots.

khartoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
Morbido

Quote:
Ok if these are the reasons we are mocked then that is stupid.

Ok for teams with stupid gimmick names. What's wrong with that? If we enjoy giving our teams names so what? Some of them don't even have names anyways. For example Real Salt Lake doesn't have a name other than just that. Also over in Europe I am pretty sure there are teams such as the Amsterdam "Ajax" and Manchester United are often called the Red Devil so ya that is a pretty stupid reason.

Also what is wrong with no promotion/relegation? As a young footballing nation we do not have the means to be able to do this as it would pretty much kill the sport and besides this is how we have done our sports since the begginiing of us having sports, be it baseball, American football, basketball, or hockey.

Next, for us calling kits uniforms/jerseys let me get this straight. A kit is the combination of the top, shorts, and socks. While a jersey or shirt is just the top which us here in America be it any sport usually buy/wear. we don't walk around with our baseball jerseys, pants, socks, and belts and say to one another hey nice kit you got there. No we generally just wear the jersey. Here is a link to show that even in the UK the top is not called a kit http://www.uksoccershop.com/ Oh wait what was that? The UK shop is called soccer shop and yes everything is in pounds not dollars. AKA not an American shop

Next for the absurd commentary. The commentary is actually rather good here in America, at least our ESPN coverage which is the big sports station as well as my local teams commentator is good. Whereas Fox's coverage which was probably covering that match is a joke and I can't stand them. During pregame of the UEFA Champions League Final they said well this match is a much bigger event than the NFL regular season game here at Wembley a few months ago. Well no duh!!!!!!!! I guess that's what you get for putting NFL guys on the coverage oh well at least our other stations are good.

For calling squads rosters, I don't think I have ever heard and American call a squad a roster be it a regular person or a broadcaster they always have called them squads. Even during Fox's coverage of the UEFA Champions League Final.

Finally for using the word Franchise, it is the same as calling squads rosters, we actually call them clubs thank you very much. Even my team, Seattle Sounders FC uses the term club, hence the FC which means football club.

So there you go. Now lets see why else should they not like soccer or football whatever you want to call it. Oh because they weren't willing to switch the name of a popular American sport football so they can change the name of soccer to football due to the fact that Europeans call it that. Well lets see I'm pretty sure American football fans would be pretty pissed about that.

Well anyways goodbye.
You make some fair points. It might have taken you nearly a week, but good job.

I will just say that what is a Sounder? Because names like this really dont help you. Also having teams named after energy drinks is ridiculous, (NY Red Bulls). Because as there is little to no history in your sports when Red Bull decide to stop sponsoring NY they will have to change their name.

Teams in the UK have over 100 years of history. Never move town/city, never change name and dont constantly re-name their stadiums. It is because of these things, basically a mirror opposite to what goes on in the states that make football the sport it is.

Also every team has a nickname. Man united are called the red devils as 99% of their fans will burn for being glory hunters. Just kidding, i have no idea why they are called that.

Look I, like many still dont like you lot calling it soccer. That would have been adverted if when american football was invented you had called it something original and more appropriate. But thats in the past. Like ive said before I dont care if the majority of your country doesn't like it. What pisses me off is ill-informed opinions and people like the three cunts who are making a fool out of themselves on the latest Fifa news page available on this sites homepage.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #19
x JEREMY18 x

x JEREMY18 x's Gamercard
Quote:
On why your mocked -

No promotion/relegation
Calling squads rosters
Using the word franchise

And last but not least why you will never under any circumstance be taken seriously, you call football that bastard s word.
It's all about where you are from. I'm from the United States where we say "the soccer player wears a uniform/jersey and is apart of a roster and plays for a franchise." I don't know where you are from but I'm going to assume the United Kingdom. You would say this about an American football player "the American football player wears a kit and is apart of a squad and plays for a for an American football club." It all depends on where you are from.
x JEREMY18 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #20
StyledBear

StyledBear's Gamercard
this thread desperately needs axiomatic input

1. Americans, bar one or two blessed souls do NOT appreciate football in our european manner
2. They never shall - its called cultural separation
3. They shouldn't WANT to, they have about a billion big name sports of their own, let em swim in the pools of their own decadence
Assassin's Creed II, Dragon Age Orgins + II, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, LEGO HP 1-4, LEGO PotC, LOST Via Domus, Madden 06 + 08 + 09, Mass Effect 1 + 2, NBA 2K6, Shrek the Third, Star Wars: TFU, Tekken 6, WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2010 + 2011, WWE 12
Arcade
(2)
Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2

StyledBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #21
Bullitt24

Bullitt24's Gamercard
Can we all just get along?
Bullitt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #22
AshleighB

OoAshleigh95oO's Gamercard
oh yeah i was playing on cod and americans was taking the mick outta me so shhhhhhhhhhh
AshleighB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #23
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
are we talking football or what you americans perceive as football? :P
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #24
LThompson6

LThompson06's Gamercard
To all the Americans who keep proving morbido wrong just ignore him he likes to argue on this site, he says fair point but then carries on arguing about something anyway.

And i agree with Storm Cobra theres a lot of American footballers that I like to watch Donovan was good on his loan to Everton especially when he broke Ashley Cole's ankle, and I enjoy watching Clint Dempsey getting stuck in with Fulham he's a lot better to watch then a lot of the arragant rich kids in the league, and as to comparing the two leagues the MLS is definitely a lower standard but as MxPx said its not an old league and it can only get better.

And about the whole football soccer argument goes a lot of Americans don't care about football and a lot of English people don't care about football, we should be happy all of these countries are playing and enjoying a sport that came from our countryits not like they've took our sport abd called it something offensive, they've already used the word football so they cant use it again everyone should be able to enjoy it no matter what country they're from. Well thats my view anyway.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
Morbido

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNaL MaKo View Post
What's a Hotspur?

Wimbledon meet MK Dons. Emirates Stadium, Reebok Stadium, the (formerly) JJB Stadium. Those are just the ones from the top of my head in the premier league alone. Not even going to acknowledge your history comment as it already speaks to your ignorance.
Hi. RE Spurs, We have already covered that.

MK Dons are a joke that will go bust when Wimbledon overtake them in 2-3 years time.

Those are new stadiums and whilst Arsenal and Bolton will probably have to change. The JJB sports shop, stadium and Wigan are owned by the same guy and as the guy is practically a god in the town I cant see them changing the name of the stadium.

Quote:
. Oh and then there is baseball which is played by America, Canada, all of Latin America, Japan, Korea, and parts of Europe. With the biggest league being over here in the USA and Canada. It too has had a few world baseball classics which is a world cup style tournament.
Baseball is not played in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LThompson6 View Post
To all the Americans who keep proving morbido wrong just ignore him he likes to argue on this site, he says fair point but then carries on arguing about something anyway.
Lol. Let last year go you prat. You were caught trying to cheat, a lot of us had a good laugh at you. Then we moved on.

If someone makes a fair point. I will acknowledge it. But there is a high probability that one good point is then countered by 2-3 stupid ones.

Like yourself said, when that clown started talking about wars.

Last edited by Morbido; 07-06-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #26
MxPx

MxPx's Gamercard

No baseball in Europe? Oh really?

http://www.baseballgermany.com/

http://www.italybaseball.com/

http://www.spainbaseball.com/

http://www.britishbaseball.org/

Last edited by MxPx; 07-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.
MxPx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #27
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:

Baseball is not played in Europe.

Baseball actually is played in Europe. As we have actually had a few good European baseball players from countries such as Germany and the Netherlands, including a few others. While it may not be as big over there in Europe and we may not get as many stars from therea as say Japan, Korea, the Caribean such as the Dominican Republic(They've got some real good players), Central America and South America, I quote they do play baseball in Europe as also proved by the above post showing the sites of the European baseball leagues.

I also do believe I remember another American/Canadian sport I forgot to mention, Basketball. Basketball is wildly popular in Europe and pretty much every other part of the world as we have many Europeans, African, Asian, and South American players in our league. I was just in Italy and Holland in May and June of this year and in almost every sports shop I was in American/Canadian basketball jerseys were selling like crazy. The NBA draft usually has a few players around the world being drafted. This last one had 14 oversees players chosen out of 60 total players chosen(I believe it was the most ever) from these following countries; Turkey(1), Lithuania(1), Serbia(1), Spain(2), Italy(1), Croatia(1), Japan(1), Slovenia(1), Israel(1), Nigeria(1), Qatar(1), Austraila(1), and Hungary(1).
There is also a FIFA World Championship held every four years including nations from around the world in a world cup style tournament. I mentioned this due to Europeans saying we don't play any popular sports that are played around the world. Oh and one of the Spain draftees was from Real Madrid's basketball team, kind of funny.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #28
Morbido

Looks like im wrong. Apologies guys. Id heard there was not a single baseball pitch in the UK. The nearest one to us being in Ireland.

Last edited by Morbido; 07-07-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #29
LThompson6

LThompson06's Gamercard
Quote:
Lol. Let last year go you prat. You were caught trying to cheat, a lot of us had a good laugh at you. Then we moved on.
Well you obviously havn't moved on, British people are suposed to understand sarcasm you clearly don't why would I need to cheat on ultimate team I have a better team then most people, and almost everything you've said here has been incorrect get over it because you clearly havn't yet, you being incorrect yet again has nothing to do with you being incorrect before, so now please move on and I won't be sarcastic around you again.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #30
Morbido

Quote:
Originally Posted by LThompson6 View Post
Well you obviously havn't moved on, British people are suposed to understand sarcasm you clearly don't why would I need to cheat on ultimate team I have a better team then most people, and almost everything you've said here has been incorrect get over it because you clearly havn't yet, you being incorrect yet again has nothing to do with you being incorrect before, so now please move on and I won't be sarcastic around you again.
zzzzzzzzzzz. Its unbelievable that a year on your still claiming that. I knew you tried my ghost method as did many others.

And boasting that you have a good UT team proves one of three things. 1. You have spent hundreds of pounds on MSP 2. You have been incredibly lucky or 3. You have cheated. You were wining that you lost your team a month after it came out. And I think you again tried to cheat by giving your details to one of them scamming web sites.

Once again we all had a good laugh at you and that other clown

Last edited by Morbido; 07-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.