PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Alice: Madness Returns
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Restricted-Access

Darth Pinhead's Gamercard
Thumbs up I like this game (do NOT post here, if you don't)!

I see a ton of threads... people complaining left and right... how they hate the game or are frustrated with it. EVERY game has something frustrating in it (some more than others).

That said... who out there likes this game (if you love it, you can specify that)? I don't want ANYONE who doesn't like the game to post in this thread - there are PLENTY of other threads that bash the game, so post in those.

I'm not going to make this a poll-thread or anything. I know the achievement whores who want to be in-and-out of the game as quick as possible (ladies... "those guys" have sex the same way) for a quick 1000gs, don't want to play a game any more than they have to.

Anyhow... if you like the game, post a reply... and maybe what you like about the game.

I liked the first one, considering when it was originally done. I think it's cute the way Alice "bounces around" with every step (like she's this fun, bubbly girl).

I like the sequel better, with the newer weapons and the extended jumping, floating, and the quick-dash she does (not to mention the butterflies effect). I also like the lighting effects, and the music.

I'd play yet another sequel (I'm only on Chapter 3, as of this writing)... but I'm curious how many times Alice will lose her mind before she uses her Vorpal Blade on herself!
Restricted-Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
MissPatatie

i kamato's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I really enjoyed this game! I just finished my first play through, and I am going back through the chapters for collectibles. I thought the art was fun, and the game entertaining. And who can complain about it coming with a bonus 2nd game for free?

MissPatatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
ninjachicken

Stabystab's Gamercard
I loved both one and two and the only problem i ever had was that the second one did feel like it dragged a bit. With a great story and graphics the dragging was nothing really. I have other games to play now but i can see this being one of those games that is worth coming back to for another play in the future.
ninjachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Restricted-Access

I hear a lot of people complain about the game's chapters being too long. I don't know if this is because they want to see an achievement "pop" every five minutes, or to easily go back and pick up something they missed.

Would 30 chapters worth 2 points each be better? I doubt it. People OFTEN complain that a game is too short and they didn't get their money's worth! This game is NOT short. Does it matter that the chapters are long and too few? Not really. Checkpoints are frequent enough that you can stop playing and pick up pretty close to where you left off.

The game paces itself pretty well, and the story is interesting. You start to wonder about Alice's sanity, and whether she is simply daydreaming... or truly out of her mind! The game isn't too hard - even on Nightmare difficulty (which I'm playing it on). Using the DLC makes the game go quicker, not easier (without it, it just takes longer to take down enemies).

I think the kids these days want to be satisfied immediately, as opposed to enjoying the journey that gets them there. The achievements come easily enough, but that poorly-written collectibles guide could be a lot better.

This is a great game, and definitely worth the money (although, I only paid $40.00 new). Perhaps it's the people who "rented" the game (the first people to complain about having to pay 800 MS Points for "Alice" - too bad), who want to rush through the game and collect their 1000 gs from it. This isn't "Avatar: The Last Airbender TBE"... so I'm afraid you kids are just going to have to deal with how long it takes to finish the game for all the achievements!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
dirge

builder dirge's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Loved the game!

Gamerscore on 31/12/2010 77,080
Gamerscore on 31/12/2011 116,056
Gamerscore on 31/12/2012 153,371
Gamerscore on 31/12/2013 187,190

#SaveShenmue
dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Ace Attorney 86

Ace Attorney 86's Gamercard
I thought it was very good too. I can see why some people thought the levels were too long, I got tired of the same scenary after a while. At least the levels were all pretty different from each other.
Ace Attorney 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
Lash 72

Lash 72's Gamercard
I rented Alice Madness Returns out of curiosity. I wasn't expecting it to be as fun as it was but I enjoyed it enough to where I bought the game and played it and nothing else for a solid month. I even played the original downloaded game for about 2 weeks. The controls could be a little frustrating at times but still not so much that it seriously affected my ability to enjoy the game.
Lash 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #8
Toxic Sliver

Toxic Sliver's Gamercard
I've been thinking about getting this since I got my xbox but after reading everyones exp. In this thread im absolutly going to get this now!
Toxic Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Birdassasin

Birdassasin's Gamercard
I got this game last weekend along with Dead Island. So far, I've enjoyed this game WAY more than Dead Island. I have been aching for some good action-platformer for 360 for years and this game definetely fits the bill. Art style is awesome and the story was interesting. Although some level desings and cutscenes are really creepy IMO, like Chapter 5 (Dolls, dolls EVERYWHERE!) and the intro cutscene (Oh look a nice tea tiOHMYGODWTFBLOODEVERYWHERE). The action might get a bit repetitive, but not so much it would get boring. The inclusion of the original game is good bonus. Overall, this game is one of my favorite games of this year. This will be one game I'll 1000GS with pleasure

100% Retails:
Sonic Generations, Viva Piñata, Splatterhouse, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Alone In The Dark, Lego Batman, Tekken 6, Rock Band 2, Asssassins Creed 2, Dead Space, Call Of Duty 4, DJ Hero, Saw, King Kong

100% Arcade:
Soul Calibur, Zombie Apocalypse, Harm's Way, Doritos Crash Course, Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night
Birdassasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Midnight Malice

Midnight Malice's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Ok so after FINALLY getting to it and finishing the story and my 1000 after 1 quick clean Dollmaster battle. I really did enjoy this game. The platforming (which I tend to despise) wasn't too bad. I hated it for the first game though, that was more frustration than I would have rather had, was the unresponsive jump button lag that got me killed a lot in that one. But the story was dark and twisted (just my style) and the combat was different and fun. I would have liked to have a few more boss battles, although the Chapter 1 "boss" was awesome. I laughed my ass off. Solid game I really enjoyed it.

100+ Retail Games_100%
100,000 GS (9/12/09)
200,000 GS (2/2/2014) (I blame MMOs)
Midnight Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Matkat14

Matkat14's Gamercard
Very good game, I like it!!! Think the story was not too dark, I played the 16s version in germany... I don`t know if there is an adult version for US?? But music and characters are crazy paranoid sometimes. Like the "white rabbit" song from Jefferson Airplane...
Matkat14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Greendisease

GreenDisease's Gamercard
Just finished chapter one and I am enjoying it as well...

Are you gonna' bark all day little doggy... or are you gonna' bite?
Greendisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Fully Avenged

fully avenged's Gamercard
Honestly, I've heard a lot of complaining about this game - Personally, I can't see why.
I've played a few games based on Disney films with a twist over the years (Kingdom Hearts being the most prominant), so when I saw this game, and saw it was about one of my favourite Disney films (Not ashamed to admit it) I was a little sceptical that they may ruin it.
I needn't have been; this is by far one of the best Hack and Slash/Adventure games I have played in a long, long time.

It's great because this game has everything an Adventure game should have - Not only is it's Collectible segment very, very large, but the way it's tallied and listed means that should you happen to miss one, unlike other Hack and Slash/Adventure games (*Cough* Prince of Persia *Cough*) it's not a pain in the nuts to find out exactly where you missed it and go back to correct it.

At the same time, they've made sure that combat remains flavoursome throughout the game - It's a Hack and Slash, but not in the traditional sense. At least some enemies block, or dodge certain attacks. Admittedly, the Teapot Cannon and DEFINITELY the Catnip Cannon are ridiculously overpowered and made Nightmare difficulty feel easier than my original Normal playthrough, but that's okay, it's fun killing a Collosal Ruin in a matter of seconds.

Honestly, people who gripe about this game are nitpicking. Yes, there are glitches, but they're not game-breaking. They may be annoying (Yes, I feel everybody's pain when the camera pans to the other side of the game while 5 enemies pile you), but it's not a problem to the extent where it ruins the experience.

I firmly agree with Restricted-Access, this game is an exemplary example of what Hack and Slashers should be.

Fully Avenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
MeonOner
Banned User

MeonOne's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Referrals - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
This game was very fun to play. I didnt have any problem playing this, played it on nightmare first time around, got everything but a few collectibles. bu 1000/1000 the game.
MeonOner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #15
lydidiekatze

lydidiekatze's Gamercard
This game blew my mind on the final stretch of the fifth chapter. Aside from the moments during the mini games when the art styles clash and really bring different depth to the lay out, the story itself was what makes the game. It is such a dark story, derived from one of the most loved and iconic tales ever written. I was almost shocked they could put a story like that into a video game, though not graphic it strikes a certain chord I have not seen in other games. They have done the original great justice with this title.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #16
dibell86

Wren Song86's Gamercard
im only a couple of chapters in but im loving this game so far, its great fun and after all the shooter games and involved games some fun is just what is needed
dibell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #17
TheUglyCasanova

TheUglyCasan0va's Gamercard
Yeah it hooks you early. Then 10 hours later it becomes boring and you just want more story.

6/10 at best. Pick it up for $20, but thats about it. Glad it was a free rental. Finishing the game on hard is proving to be a curse fest. Just want something to occupy me until I get my BF3.
TheUglyCasanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
Cmpunk

NanoEdge EX's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Friend has the game and I really enjoyed it, actually considering to buying it at Christmas along with numerous other games. The movie was a delight, so I'm sure this more mature version will be awfully fun. Though is it worth the 60 dollars? Not really sure of that one.
Cmpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
phobzy85

Send a message via MSN to phobzy85

Phobzy85's Gamercard

I enjoyed the game a lot. Great artwork and scenery etc. Gameplay is pretty damn awesome too. I do agree the chapters seemed a little long winded after around chapter 3. Not that I am complaining - it's nice to have a long game for a change. I really enjoy platformers and when they are done right they are like this game.

Great game overall - not sure if I will come back to play it but I always keep my games so I probably will. Still got the original to sore through.

I noticed a strange little glitch - when playing music through the dashboard. When you was on the *** SPOILER *** splatting stomping on cards part. The quakes when you stamp would disrupt the music. Strange =/

I really like the rb dash evade move. It made me feel like I was dante in DMC. It's got that kind of element to it. Which I do like a lot!

phobzy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
higginbot

The Higginbot's Gamercard
I was excited to play this game from the second I heard about it. I'd only played bits and pieces of the first one on the PC in the way back when, but I knew from the opening cutscene in the first Alice (brilliant, by the way, intercutting the original text of the story into Alice waking up to find out the house is on fire) that I had to follow this story all the way through. I'm a little worried that I'm playing it out of order though, because I'm playing the new before the old. But I'm having so much fun with Madness Returns that I guess I don't care that I'm essentially playing Spoiler Alert, the game.
higginbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #21
Chester Martini

Chester Martini's Gamercard
I really enjoyed this game. I like a lot of things about it, obviously, but one of my favorites is the art. I like exploring Alice's world, it's so interesting and detailed.
Chester Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
envint251

robandines's Gamercard
I thought it was great. Beautiful artwork, I really liked the music, the colour, the gameplay. Not perfect, but very worthwhile.

envint251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #23
annRky

annRky's Gamercard
This would have to be one of my favourite games and I am only halfway through it, lol.
I love the darkness of it, the characters, just everything about it.
annRky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #24
jajm8719

Send a message via AIM to jajm8719

jajm8719's Gamercard
I really enjoyed the game.

jajm8719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #25
xxJUSTINxx

OddFull Metal's Gamercard

I agree, this game was a great platformer. Loved every bit of it.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #26
xTHI5WARISOURSx

xTHI5WARISOURSx's Gamercard
I really enjoyed this game. Picked it up for £4 on the Xbox Dash too, bonus, huh? Been after it a while, just got completely overcrowded with the amount of other games I've been meaning to play, but when I saw it I didn't even hesitate. Really enjoyed it from start to finish. So many good things.
- The art is amazing, I love how every chapter has a brand new environment with a completely new art scheme. (I also loved the part in chapter three where you get to the Caterpillar and the graphics turn shell shaded, like Borderlands style. That was really cool. So many other things, the weapons were so cool. I loved the way the controls work regarding the weapons too. So simple, no swapping in and out weapons. Just simply hit the X or Y button. Not bad.

I'll be honest though, the only thing I didn't like was the original (American McGee's Alice). It really frustrated me. Especially since I didn't realise I could save anywhere at all until about 2/3 through the game (duhhh). So I was starting the entire chapter over every time I died, that was so infuriating.

Overall though, I loved this game. Going through a third time (First on Normal, second on Nightmare) to pick up all the collectibles. I want to spend as much time as possible on this game. Amazing

8.5/10
xTHI5WARISOURSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #27
IRISHCAB4

Send a message via MSN to IRISHCAB4 Send a message via Yahoo to IRISHCAB4

irishcab4's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I thought this game was very fun to play. The controls where easy to use and the game seemed to flow nicely.

I finished it and then began a second playthrough on Nightmare immediately. There have only been a handful of games where I did that...Enslaved, The Saboteur, Portal 2 for example.

The graphics were done quite well and the weapons were cool and unique.

Retail 100% - Captain America: Super Soldier, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 3, Oblivion, King Kong, Backyard Football '10, The Saboteur, Borderlands, Fight Night 3, Gun, Viking, NFS Most Wanted, TNMT, CSI: Hard Evidence, Lost: Via Domus, Cabela's African Safari, Avatar: TBE
IRISHCAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #28
Arenazombie

Arenazombie's Gamercard
I absolutely love that game. Still have to finish my second playthrough.
Gamepla mechanic is just basic stuff but the whole story and atmosphere is the best since Bioshock!
But having played the first before I would say that the sequel could have been darker and I think the China level doesn't quite fit into the theme of the game.

Also liked the first Alice. Gameplay mechanics and controls are rather bad but its the atmosphere that draws me in as well and the Soundtrack is gold! So creepy, tense music. One of the best game soundtracks ever.

My favorite songs of the Soundtrack, give it a listen:
Arenazombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #29
Restricted-Access

A sad day for me a few days ago. I sold my copy of "Alice: Madness Returns." I know, hard to believe... being a major proponent of the game, but I was curious what GameStop was currently offering for a trade-in value, and they told me $14.00 - sorry... not happening. It was $18.00 at GameStop, back when that other place only offered me $23.00, almost 2 months ago!

Then out of curiosity, I called that other place ("Book Off"), wondering if it was still $23.00, but was expecting maybe $10.00... I was told $30.00! WHAT?!! I was excited about that amount, since it was higher than their previous offer. I called them back about 5 minutes later, because they guy had a strong Japanese accent, and I started thinking he might have said "13" instead of "30" - and I was looking at a 20 minute drive on the freeway to get there.

I asked him if it was $30.00 - 20 dollars plus 10 dollars, not 13 dollars? He confirmed it was $30.00.

So... I sold Alice: Madness Returns.

Yes, I love the game... but ALL games drop in value, and I can pick it up again when I find it a lot cheaper. Right now, I have "5" games to buy in November, and EVERY dollar that goes towards that, means I'll more likely get all the games I'm after by the 15th of November!

I finished "Assassin's Creed II," six weeks after it came out, and got a $45.00 trade-in for it towards BioShock 2... and picked-up a used copy later the next year - in MINT CONDITION - for $15.00.

I only paid $40.00 for Alice (new), so getting $30.00 for it is awesome. If I get it used in the next year or so for 10 or 15 bucks, it was worth it to help get new games next month!!

Knowing MY luck... some awesome game-play add-ons will come out in the next few weeks, but that's alright... I'll get the game again someday!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #30
Mr Rawls

Mr Rawls's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restricted-Access View Post
A sad day for me a few days ago. I sold my copy of "Alice: Madness Returns." I know, hard to believe... being a major proponent of the game, but I was curious what GameStop was currently offering for a trade-in value, and they told me $14.00 - sorry... not happening. It was $18.00 at GameStop, back when that other place only offered me $23.00, almost 2 months ago!

Then out of curiosity, I called that other place ("Book Off"), wondering if it was still $23.00, but was expecting maybe $10.00... I was told $30.00! WHAT?!! I was excited about that amount, since it was higher than their previous offer. I called them back about 5 minutes later, because they guy had a strong Japanese accent, and I started thinking he might have said "13" instead of "30" - and I was looking at a 20 minute drive on the freeway to get there.

I asked him if it was $30.00 - 20 dollars plus 10 dollars, not 13 dollars? He confirmed it was $30.00.

So... I sold Alice: Madness Returns.

Yes, I love the game... but ALL games drop in value, and I can pick it up again when I find it a lot cheaper. Right now, I have "5" games to buy in November, and EVERY dollar that goes towards that, means I'll more likely get all the games I'm after by the 15th of November!

I finished "Assassin's Creed II," six weeks after it came out, and got a $45.00 trade-in for it towards BioShock 2... and picked-up a used copy later the next year - in MINT CONDITION - for $15.00.

I only paid $40.00 for Alice (new), so getting $30.00 for it is awesome. If I get it used in the next year or so for 10 or 15 bucks, it was worth it to help get new games next month!!

Knowing MY luck... some awesome game-play add-ons will come out in the next few weeks, but that's alright... I'll get the game again someday!
You are one weird dude...
Mr Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote