PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
gamerscorhunta

Send a message via Skype™ to gamerscorhunta

MaurickShepherd's Gamercard
We all will miss you, old friend. And f**k you EA!

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat was one of the first shooters on the Xbox 360, and gave us console gamers a first glimpse of what Dice would laer offer us through to robust and amazing Bad Company series. While I wish I could go back and enjoy this game today, I cannot, for EA have shut down the servers within hours of my current time. Thnak you EA, for once again, destroying my hopes of earning all achievements (I had only one achievement to go online, 500 sessions) and making another shady move to push people towards your new games, which while good, I would've prefered to play the games I want to play.

Good bye forever! Post your fun, horrible, or just outrageous memories of this game here. Just a departing letter for the game that led to one of the greatest FPS's of all time.

Love my Sheppy children, Archer, Bishop and Knight
gamerscorhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Minty

Send a message via MSN to Minty Send a message via Skype™ to Minty

Minty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   x360a Representer   Referrals - Gold   15,000 Posts   GamerScore League Season 9 Winner   PAX Meet 2010   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 MVP   Donator - Level 5   x360a Book Club   Submit - Bronze   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
The games been out for over 5 years, and you don't have 500 sessions played. It's not exactly like you played it on a regular basis is it? You just want to moan at EA for closing down servers....for a game that is 5 friggin years old.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
The Betrayer142

The Betrayer142's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
The games been out for over 5 years, and you don't have 500 sessions played. It's not exactly like you played it on a regular basis is it? You just want to moan at EA for closing down servers....for a game that is 5 friggin years old.
Give him a break. Yes, if he was truly a hardcore Battlefield player he would have had 500 sessions, but I imagine his point was that he was feeling sad to see it go and was planning on getting that last achievement at some point in the future.

Hell, I hardly played Army of Two more than 2 or 3 campaign runs and a small bit of multiplayer but I have really fond memories of it and I'm sad to see it go and I didn't have the 1 billion achievement.

Thanks to Tubz for the great sig! (See his great artwork HERE)
Gears 2|\*/ on 7/23/2010|Damon Baird FTW

70,000 Achieved!: "Chop-Chopper"--Bulletstorm--3/5/11

Need to boost: Gears (PC and Xbox), Black Ops, Halo Wars, Rock Band 3, Army of Two, Halo: Reach,
The Betrayer142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Vendetta

Send a message via MSN to Vendetta

Vendetta x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Not to mention what he had a month to get those 500. I am so glad I got this shit done 2 weeks ago. Quit waiting till the last minute to do it.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
edw211

Send a message via AIM to edw211 Send a message via Skype™ to edw211

edw211's Gamercard
I picked up this game a week before shutdown as a challenge to myself to see if I could bang out all the online stuff in one week. Though I did manage to do that, along the way, I realized I actually quite liked the game and wish I had more time to have fun with it.

Feel the same way about Army of Two. Legitimately playing bounties in Iraq was a blast; now I can never do it again =(

The thing you have to keep in mind is that we achievement hunters represent a comparatively small portion of the online gaming community. I can't in good conscience fault EA for shutting down Battlefield 2 and devoting those servers to more modern purposes. From a business standpoint, I doubt they're going to keep up the servers that cost them money when they have far more populous games to support. It's all supply and demand. There is virtually no demand for Battlefield 2 servers anymore, and tons of demand for Bad Company performance. So where do you think EA is going to commit the supply of those servers?

EA's shutdown policy may have the effect of making me think twice before buying an EA game, but I do know that EA is a company, I am far in the minority, and that companies exist for the sole purpose of making money. If anyone should be demonized, it's the retail outlets, especially Gamestop who should know better, that continue to sell incomplete EA games at the same retail price post-shutdown.

Completed Arcade: Call of Duty Classic, Aegis Wing, Dash of Destruction, Battlefield 1943, Doritos Crash Course, Harm's Way

Working On: Battlefield 2, Bioshock

12/16/10: 10000 GS - Lab Rat, Dead Space
8/28/11: 20000 GS - Irony, BioShock
edw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
2Bad2Fast

l 2Bad2Fast l's Gamercard
well ass soon as TA posted it was geting shutdown i got bf mc2 and ao2 and finished all online up with in a week. so its your folt you dident get it

but ea do suck

^^^ 83% faster than the hole of gb yet i get called lagger lulz
2Bad2Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
At least they had it up for 5 years instead of closing some of these other's that are only a couple.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
gamerscorhunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Not to mention what he had a month to get those 500. I am so glad I got this shit done 2 weeks ago. Quit waiting till the last minute to do it.
I didn't learn of the news until the prior Sunday. Honestly, if EA didn't have Bioware and DICE in their developer line-up, I would never buy any of their games. They are worse than Activision, I mean, look at Call of Duty 2. That game is six years old! Older than Battlefield 2, more people play Battlefield 2, they shut down the servers for BF2, yet CoD2 is still up. Honestly, EA shouldn't even be selling their games on retail if you're paying for a portion of the game, and not the whole game. I could give a shit less about their whole "We have full rights to shut down servers for our games, we will give a thirty day notice." It's bullshit.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
gamerscorhunta

Quote:
Yeah, but how the fuck are games like SOCOM 3 still up? That game was in the LAST gaming generation, and yet, Zipper Interactive keeps those servers up. No company should shut down the servers for a game, and then be stubborn as hell and not hand the servers over to somebody else to manage. I also have obviously not had the luxury to be able to boost the damn game until this "thirty day notice" came up and everybody was frantic to max out all those EA games they left in the dust. Honestly, it's the fact EA doesn't give a flying fuck about the people they leave behind when they shut down those servers. They don't unlock the online achievements for those who don't already have those, they don't hand over the servers to somebody who actually care about the game still. Nope. They are stubborn as hell, and is a primary reason why EA will always remain the biggest asshole of the industry.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
2Bad2Fast

most games are use MS servers that are paid for 4/5 years lase or more

thats why say like * hour of victory* ther makers gone bust but due to ther bean ms servers they will not get shutdown untill ther time is up.

EA use ther very own servers so they can close them in 1 year or less its totaly up to EA.

other games are not ther MS servers so when / if they go bust severs dont shutdown till ther time is up.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
gamerscorhunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bad2Fast View Post
most games are use MS servers that are paid for 4/5 years lase or more

thats why say like * hour of victory* ther makers gone bust but due to ther bean ms servers they will not get shutdown untill ther time is up.

EA use ther very own servers so they can close them in 1 year or less its totaly up to EA.

other games are not ther MS servers so when / if they go bust severs dont shutdown till ther time is up.
Sorry, this isn't legible at all, haha.

Basically, EA seems to not give a damn about anybody but themselves. I say, Kotick is cooler than EA.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
2Bad2Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerscorhunta View Post
Sorry, this isn't legible at all, haha.

Basically, EA seems to not give a damn about anybody but themselves. I say, Kotick is cooler than EA.

think as you wish

Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
bfmc

xXROBO NUG3NTXx's Gamercard
battlefields modern combat 2

hi all i just wanna say that i am also devastated that bfmc has been taken off line, and would have loved for it to stay on-line because no matter what we all spent money on these games, and then got blatantly robbed by ea, bcos no matter what games should be left on, but ea are defo money grabbing cxxts who keep bringing a load of games out at once just so they can do what there doing, so we all need to fight on to get that brilliant game bfmc 2 back on-line and get what we paid for, so to all you bfmc hardcore players dont just walk away lets get it back.
bfmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
123abc

ShotByRevolver's Gamercard
i havent even bought this game yet so i probably wont
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
gamerscorhunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123abc View Post
i havent even bought this game yet so i probably wont
You're not missing much, to be honest. It's good, but nowhere near as good as the Bad Company series.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
likeitwas1980

urbgottimus's Gamercard
yea not too happy about them shutting it down, i should of kept going instead of going to a different game
likeitwas1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
Space Cadet

Pajolero's Gamercard
Boy do I hope they don't shut down Bad Company servers for at least another year. I love that game so much.
Space Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
Jimbo Dredd

Jimbo Dredd's Gamercard
OP is right...

The OP is right - they should never take a game offline altogether. It isn't like they can't afford some limited support - or hand some servers to microsoft so they can keep it running on XBL as long as they keep selling it.

Seeing as they are pushing this in the XBOX fan appreciation sale on now:

http://majornelson.com/2011/11/22/xb...eciation-sale/

with just the slightest note at the end of the blurb:
"Some multi-player functionalities may no longer be supported."

which most people are likely to miss.

Bit of a scam for them to keep selling it if they don't want to support it anymore....
Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
Johnysnake

Yeah, it sucks. And i cant believe that they shut down the BF2MC servers. I loved that game so much and im a huge fan of Backstab.

But maybe we are able to play Backstab once again. Wouldnt that be awesome? Ive added a suggestion on the BFP4F Forums to create a remake of our favorite BF2MC map! But of course we need to show the devs that there is enough support for this map. Therefore, I need your help. Head over to the suggestion thread and sign it. Im sure you guys are interested in it.

You can find the suggestion here:
[Map idea] Backstab (28 signs)

No Battlefield Play 4 Free account yet? Create one here:
Enter Your Email - Battlefield Play4Free - Free FPS Online Action!

Ive also made a video, you can find it here:
BFP4F Backstab map suggestion (promo video) - YouTube

Johnysnake
Johnysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #20
icecrazy

Alefelippes's Gamercard
aww, i wish a had more time to do the 5 chieevos i had left, i liked this game, the first game i've played online, i think instead of closing they should merge games with a lower frequency of players into a single server, slower but still online
Old 01-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #21
HMS Resolution

HMS Resolution's Gamercard
I was playing this back before I even had a 360. In '05 this was raging on the PS2...I would have had all the achievements too. When I bought a 360 though I sort of forgot about my long lost friend. I did manage to get a couple of online cheevos before they pulled the plug. I was 13 when I played this for the first time, now I am 20 and I still have fond memories of this game...You will be missed indeed. I am keeping the 360 game disc forever. You can still listen to the menu music which brings me back.

HMS Resolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
CoziestParasite

coziestparasite's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnysnake View Post
Yeah, it sucks. And i cant believe that they shut down the BF2MC servers. I loved that game so much and im a huge fan of Backstab.

But maybe we are able to play Backstab once again. Wouldnt that be awesome? Ive added a suggestion on the BFP4F Forums to create a remake of our favorite BF2MC map! But of course we need to show the devs that there is enough support for this map. Therefore, I need your help. Head over to the suggestion thread and sign it. Im sure you guys are interested in it.

You can find the suggestion here:
[Map idea] Backstab (28 signs)

No Battlefield Play 4 Free account yet? Create one here:
Enter Your Email - Battlefield Play4Free - Free FPS Online Action!

Ive also made a video, you can find it here:
BFP4F Backstab map suggestion (promo video) - YouTube

Johnysnake
You're not even being subtle with this. 0/10, EA viral advertising at its worst.
CoziestParasite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
quickhhh

General E Quick's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Man I really miss this game. I want to play a game on bridge too far like I did back in the day.
quickhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
Ninja Eagle

Captain Cotchy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I only had 25G on this game FUCK ME!

Proudest Completions:
Call of Duty 2
Transformers: WFC
Crackdown 2

"He's not just a regular moron. He is the product of the greatest minds of a generation coming together for the express purpose of creating the dumbest moron that ever existed. And you just put him in charge of the entire facility." - Portal 2.

I agree with Buzz, post count is everything. Seeing that number go up every time I post makes me tingle inside.

Ninja Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #25
Goblin93

this was one of my favorite games in the early days of the 360 sucks it had to go down and now those online achievements can never be attained again...EA blows...up to this day some 2006 game servers are still up lol
Goblin93 is offline   Reply With Quote