Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dark Souls
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Playing w/friends.

Here is how it works for those still not clear.

Here is a link to a level calculator.
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/...nge+Calculator

Level gap between characters is 10 + 10%
You NEED to be Human to summon others and make sure you sign is not down while looking for others or they will not appear.
If you are looking to be summoned yourself, you don't have to be human...dead players can be summoned.

If you want to play with a friend, whoever is the one who is summoning phantoms into his world can not have defeated the area Boss.

Simply put down your sign to be summoned, if you are in private chat with your friend this can work better. You keep putting the sign down until it appears for your friend (should be fairly instant depending on your ping)

Seeing different msg signs all over the ground does not mean you are on different servers and can not play together, it does not work that way...what happens is each time you put down your sign it is putting it on servers that are visible to other players on other servers, keep doing it and it will eventually show up for your friend.
Tried this a few times with my brother and it worked very well on multiple occasions.

You can play with people who are on New Game+ even if you are not.
(Thanks to Auburok for this information!)

Hope this is helpful

Edit:
Seems like the game is set up on several server clusters. What that means for playing with your friends is, they need to be on the same one as you to even have a chance to see your summon sign. How it picks what server you are on is beyond me, quitting out and reloading MAY cycle you to a different set of servers I am not 100% on that though. Easy way to tell if you are on the same server as your buddies is, wait around the same area for a few moments and you will see a phantom of them. If you can see them, you are on the same server and should have few issues summoning.

EDIT:
Ok after some more testing, sometimes the sign will not ALWAYS show up right away. But if you find an area to play with your friend what you can do is put the sign down for 1 minute, if it does not show...repeat until it does. Doing it this way I was able to play almost every area with my brother so far.
Re-edit: This doesn't seem to really apply anymore since the update, much easier to find your friends.

After helping people with bosses and asking them what level they were, I can now definitely confirm that the level gap is at least 10. Not 10%
Edit: (Plenty of people including myself have been playing with others far beyond 10 levels apart from each other, at one point I summoned a guy into my game who was level 427...I was level 12. (This was before any patches, I have not played since then so I don't know if it's still broken like that or not)

Note: PRIVATE CHAT works, and will not kick you back to the dashboard.
PARTY CHAT WILL KICK YOU.

I will continue to update this if things change or new info gets confirmed. If you have confirmed information that differs from what I have please msg me and I will update this post!

Last edited by Gackt; 01-08-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
locoloco

xXxLocoLocoxXx's Gamercard
Thanks, I'll try this out later. Hopefully, everything you said is true because it would be great to actually get to play with friends.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Raesvelgr

I can confirm this works, as I was the one you played with.

Also being in the same Covenant may help you find each other better.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
HeavenSoldier

HeavenSoldier's Gamercard
Wait...does private chat allow you to remain online? Every time I go into party chat, it bumps me into offline mode.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Raesvelgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
Wait...does private chat allow you to remain online? Every time I go into party chat, it bumps me into offline mode.
Correct, Private chat works, Party does not.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
locoloco

Shameless bump from me; I think it's really useful information to people who want to get summoned or play with friends.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Crinkstar

Crinkstar's Gamercard
So the level gap is definitely 10 souls? There has been a lot of confusion between it being 10 soul levels or 10%.

My friend and I will check this out later today and see how it goes.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
GameLover

dragonblade2469's Gamercard
ya it was a big help.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Mandalorian831

Mandalorian831's Gamercard
Looking to get some help with Blighttown. I made it to the bonfire but can't get past the poison mud(or whatever it is). SL is 45.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
Kinky Buns

Send a message via MSN to Kinky Buns Send a message via Skype™ to Kinky Buns

Kinky Buns's Gamercard
I just got this game the other day, but I've managed to kill every boss solo up until Smough and Ornstein. I've used over 20 humanity trying to summon help from people, but most of the time I get invaded before I even get to the boss fog. So now I'm stuck in Anor Londo with no humanity and I don't have a sufficient weapon to solo both of them (I'm using a +5 Black Knight Sword but it's way too slow)

I'm currently level 57, the past couple hours I've just been trying to get humanity from from +rating on my messages but I haven't gotten a single one yet which kind of sucks lol xD.

If anyone could help me out that would be awesome.

"Truly if there is an evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Tales of Phantasia -

Old 10-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
locoloco

Glad to see this information was stickied; it's originally what I was hoping when I kept bumping it.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
llll epic llll

llll epic llll's Gamercard
This isn't working for me and my friend. I am guessing this is because were on different servers? He is seeing different "messages" on the ground than me. I have put down the stone like 30 times and wait a minute, but it never shows up in my friends game. Any help???

Last edited by llll epic llll; 10-15-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4ckyb0y1 View Post
@Gackt: How close is your brother to you that you tested this with?

Curious how the servers work and are located. Could someone from the UK and USA pull this off or are the way the servers are setup make this impossible?
My brother was level 10 and I was level 20. Also just did it at levels 30 and 20.
As for the servers, I have no idea how they work, I am fairly sure we can not play with Asia, they have their own. But Europe and North America can play together, I have played with a few Europeans so far(I am in America/East Coast) So yes, USA & UK should have no issues playing together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llll epic llll View Post
This isn't working for me and my friend. I am guessing this is because were on different servers? He is seeing different "messages" on the ground than me. I have put down the stone like 30 times and wait a minute, but it never shows up in my friends game. Any help???
Make sure you are within 10 levels of each other. If you are both in the Way of White covenant...it makes it easier to find each other, but not required.
Also, make sure the area boss is not dead on the person who is doing the summoning, or it wont work.
Different messages do not matter, those seem to cycle through different servers.
Try waiting longer on your summon sign, sometimes it takes a bit longer to show up, if after a few minutes it doesnt work...put it down again and wait. I know that is a pain in the ass but it has worked for me so far. Goodluck
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
J4ckyb0y1

Ix J4ckyb0y xI's Gamercard
Hehe, when I asked how close your brother was, I meant distance not levels

I'm on the west coast. Going to try to pull this off with someone in Scotland.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4ckyb0y1 View Post
Hehe, when I asked how close your brother was, I meant distance not levels

I'm on the west coast. Going to try to pull this off with someone in Scotland.
Oh, we live together so...5 feet? lol. Both of our consoles are in our gaming room so that may help in us finding each other so quick/easily.
BUT I know it can work for different countries so, just keep at it and you will get it to work I am sure
Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
smokevf

Lxepicxbeastxl's Gamercard
I had no problem on demons souls. It's the other way around for dark souls. I can't get in to my buddy's he can't get in to mine. Tried for 2 hours nothing! And you can privet chat on xbox lol. Idk maybe it was easier on ps3 cuz not to many ppl played it or it was better coop idk. If anyone finds a easier way let me know or keep the forum alive so we can figure this out.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
Auburok

Send a message via Skype™ to Auburok

auburok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokevf View Post
I had no problem on demons souls. It's the other way around for dark souls. I can't get in to my buddy's he can't get in to mine. Tried for 2 hours nothing! And you can privet chat on xbox lol. Idk maybe it was easier on ps3 cuz not to many ppl played it or it was better coop idk. If anyone finds a easier way let me know or keep the forum alive so we can figure this out.
Huh? There's literally tons of info above your post on how to do it, and why it doesn't work sometimes.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #18
smokevf

Lxepicxbeastxl's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburok View Post
Huh? There's literally tons of info above your post on how to do it, and why it doesn't work sometimes.
What I ment was. If you's find a way to get it going right away. Im guessing because I just started dark souls it's hard to get my friend in cuz a lot of ppl are at my level demon souls was easy to find cuz me and my friend were at high levels so there wasn't too many to find with in my level cap
Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
Auburok

Send a message via Skype™ to Auburok

auburok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokevf View Post
What I ment was. If you's find a way to get it going right away. Im guessing because I just started dark souls it's hard to get my friend in cuz a lot of ppl are at my level demon souls was easy to find cuz me and my friend were at high levels so there wasn't too many to find with in my level cap
This way is the only way. Find a secluded area. Be as close to each other's soul level (the closer, the better we found). Cycle the sign every few minutes. If you see an apparition someone standing around, and you picked a secluded area, chances are it's your friend. At that point, you just have to cycle until you see each other. Takes anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes, depending on servers. Past that, and you should wait on it.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Gackt
Banned User

Where is the patch already!? lol
I spent 45minutes the other day infront of a boss door where there were summon signs popping up all over the place and every single one I tried, failed. Even my forest covenant summons are failing lol.
This is really killing the game for alot of people.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #21
paulodawkins

Almeida Brazil's Gamercard
cool

thx for the explanation
Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
Zeylex

Zeylex's Gamercard
one of my friends could join my game and he was 15 lvls under me.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #23
xMANNY FRE5Hx

xMANNY FRE5Hx's Gamercard
The multi-player aspect of the game worked pretty damn good last night. I was able to summon my two friends anywhere at will & I must have gotten invaded over 10 times. After soooooo many hours of unsuccessfully trying to co-op, it was nice to finally play with my buddies.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #24
Enki GT

Enki GT's Gamercard
I don't know if it was just my imagination but I think I saw much more summoning-signs yesterday evening .. hope it will be even more with the patch.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #25
Gackt
Banned User

If anyone still playing this finds something wrong with my original post let me know so I can edit it(I don't have the game anymore). And of course ill credit you with any new correct info.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #26
Quid Squid

elKamikazeSquid's Gamercard
how does the final battle work with co-op?

seems to be that is there are two of you the person summoning beats the boss and goes onto NG+ while the person summoned is left behind to defeat the boss again with randoms or by themself. Is this right?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
mike3991

LBJ TAKENFLIGHT's Gamercard
Unhappy Need friends

If anyone knows how this works and needs a friends send me a friend request. My gt is= lbj takenflight
Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #28
Drewbayeor

Drewbayeor's Gamercard
I am looking for some help taking on the four kings in NG+. I am at SL 119 and am getting rocked by them. I don't have very strong weapons as I have high sorcery. If you are able to distract them and beat them I can stand at a distance and pound them with magic!

GT: Drewbayeor send me a message first and we will figure out how to meet!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #29
FactSay

FactSay's Gamercard
Hi guys, I'm looking for help with Kalameet (especially to get his tail), he's kicking my ass and has been for a few days, heh. SL 98, xbox name is FactSay,. Thanks in advance guys!

Edit: I didn't see any summon signs for days, posted here, almost immediately found two awesome summons. Dunno if they were from here or not but thanks anyway :-D

Last edited by FactSay; 02-22-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
sicpayne

Hi guys, I'm having my ass handed to me by demon firesage, and haven't seen any summon signs, anyone care to help me? Plus running low on humanity and oh my SL is 67 on first playthrough
Closed Thread