PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
BIGbivvie

Phil Bardsley's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Good/Bad game?

I can pick this up for cheap, so wondering if it's worth it?

He turns to me, and he says, "Why so serious?".
Comes at me with the knife, "Why so serious?!".
Sticks the blade in my mouth, "Let's put a smile on that face."
Aaaand, why so serious?

BIGbivvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
The Duke of Darkness

The Allslayer's Gamercard

Yes it's a good game and if you can get it cheap then you should be happy if you buy it. But that's just my opinion. Do you collect or are you intrested in warhammer 40K if so you should like it, also you can play the demo if you havn't already treid it.
The Duke of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
Darth Bambrox

Darth Bambrox's Gamercard
Really it depends how cheap you can pick it up for

I picked it up for 20 and feel that was a fair price, I certainly wouldnt have been happy if i had paid 40 for it and I will elaborate as to why, I will keep this spoiler free

At many various points the game just feels plain empty, with no atmosphere, You will see what I mean no doubt, then suddenly you will be overwhelmed by enemies, the space marine feels very clunky, his evasive manoeuvres are almost obsolete and pointless, many many times I have been trying to dodge to no avail, I am guessing that this was done on purpose and is probably true to the character as power armor is no doubt heavy but it still blows that you can't effectively evade, the other problem i have is no cover system? wtf is with that, i know ultra marines are supposed to be badass but come on

The story is quite good, some have said its been milked in the warhammer franchise but I certainly didnt see a couple of the twists coming, I didnt find myself as immersed in it as I had hoped though having been a fan of warhammer for some 20 years and that may be down to the voice acting which I feel could have been better, its almost emotionless, i dont know whether that was intentional....

Overall though I have enjoyed the game, I only wish the enemies had been more consistantly thrown at you, its a good fun blow, bash and smash the crap outta everything that gets in your way
Old 11-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
IWi11KickU

IWi11KickU's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze
It's funny, I am of almost the exact opposite of Darth Bambrox. I thought that the story was a bit cliche. I wasn't surprised or impressed by any of the twists, as they are similar to twists in many other video games. I would post examples, but I'm following your lead of trying to keep spoiler free. On the other hand, I found the game play and the atmosphere to be the strongest points of this game. I stopped to check out background art, sculptures, scurrying gretchins just barely within reach, orcs who hadn't noticed you yet fighting each other, etc. I thought that the setting and atmosphere were outstanding. I also liked the gameplay precisely because it wasn't your typical "strike, evade, cover" tactics. You must kill to stay alive. I loved being immediately swarmed by orcs from out of nowhere, and not being able to hide and strike.

I agree with you that this game is definitely worth picking up cheep, but not at full retail price at this point. But the reasons I like and dislike this game are the complete opposite of yours.

As an adjoiner, the multiplayer has a bit of a learning curve, as the tactics and gameplay are vastly different to Halo, Gears, MW, or any of the other popular pvp shooters, but if you stick with it and learn the game grinding to level 41 is a lot of fun too. Of course, that means either picking it up new (which will make it more expensive) or buying the online pass. But the campaign alone makes this worth a mid-price purchase.
IWi11KickU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
GrimSovereignty

Send a message via Skype™ to GrimSovereignty

GrimSovereignty's Gamercard

I think its a great game but I would say that regardless of the story or multiplayer I just really love the warhammer 40k universe I actually blew one of my checks from work on just books alone. Now I do wish the campaign had more depth and variety, won't go into to much detail don't want to spoil. I also think the multiplayer is pretty solid and quite fun.
Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision? - Huey Freeman

GrimSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
AX S16

AX S16's Gamercard
I really liked it. While in a sense it felt slightly lacking in polish, I thought it was a good immersion of the 40k world. Graphics, soundtrack etc aside, I found it really fun to play and had the "one more go" factor that so many games are missing nowadays.

Now to dig out some of my old miniatures and paints...
AX S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Forch Desole

ForchDesole's Gamercard
I liked it.
Forch Desole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Penguino Rojo

penguino rojo's Gamercard
Totally worth it. Completion isn't to far off as long as you keep in mind how to play and communicate with other players for the MM stuff.

The story is pretty much what you would expect with this sort of setting, its hard to have something totally original when there is already so much done in the setting and similar settings like it. But there are no weird plot holes or weird explanations for tasks, nothing that leaves you confused as to what is going on.

I honestly feel the graphics are appropriate for the game, voice work is exactly what I would expect from the setting. My only beef is with the vengeance launcher, rather pointless weapon.

Anyway, yes, get the game. Even if you don't play the MM, you can still enjoy the story and get a lot of the achievements solo.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
BoxCar63

BoxCar63's Gamercard

Although I don't play the tabletop game, I do paint WH40K miniatures and love the lore associated with the different Space Marine chapters. Also enjoy the Dawn of War series and this Game just fuels that interest.

The Ultramarines movie could have taken a different route, but like most "first time" productions, hind-sight is always 20/20.

I hoping developers will elaborate on the next iteration of Space Marine as well as correct/fine tune their server issues.

Just my $0.02.
BoxCar63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
H0p3sfalL
Coconut Dracula

ATT4Ck XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   Subscriber - Silver   x360a Representer   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimSovereignty View Post
I think its a great game but I would say that regardless of the story or multiplayer I just really love the warhammer 40k universe I actually blew one of my checks from work on just books alone. Now I do wish the campaign had more depth and variety, won't go into to much detail don't want to spoil. I also think the multiplayer is pretty solid and quite fun.

. if you dont know the WH40k lore you may be a little lost in SP. Also MP is bootable.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
DannyAwesome

hardstyle b3ast's Gamercard
I got this game for 7$ online (shipping was 3 something) I like it because I get to kill a bunch of dudes at once and its fun because its just a simple game. At times its a little annoying and the fights can be repedative for some people. I think if you can get it for under 10 bucks do it.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Penguinzan

I personally don't like the game too much, but i can see why it would be enjoyable for people
Penguinzan is offline   Reply With Quote