PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Silent Hill HD Collection
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
CalSlayer

Mystonedgoose's Gamercard
This Or Downpour?

I'm stuck deciding between this or Downpour, I have never played any of the Silent Hill games and have hardly played any Survival Horror Games, I've read some reviews and I've been edged into buying the HD Collection, but I want to know which one has the more in depth story line and the one that is sure to spook me out!
CalSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Downpour or flip a coin.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
O918

O918's Gamercard
im in a similar situation, stuck between downpour or HD, but i have played several silent hills (1,2,4, origins, homecoming). if you want a "newer" experience but dont want to spend the money, im sure you can buy homecoming for $20 or less now. its been several years since i played it, but i really enjoyed it at the time.

I bought the HD collection, but i havent opened it bc I am still deciding whether to take it back and get downpour. i dusted off my ps2 to play the original SH2 to help weigh in on my decision, damn game still creeps me the hell out!
O918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
CalSlayer

I really do want a game that will creep me the hell out, Dead Space did a fine job of that for me, but I want a different experience, and Im stuck between these 2 games!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Creazil

iCreazil UK's Gamercard
Since Homecoming (or was it Origins), Team Silent wasn't working on the games anymore. Which made Silent Hill controlled by a western developer. Now, SH1, 2, 3 and 4 were all Japanese developers. Japanese is the way to go with horror. SH2 & 3 are easily the greatest Survival Horror games in existence. But then again, it's still hard not to get annoyed at the freezing in this game, especially in 3. Waiting for bosses to die for 5 mins instead of 2 seconds.

Creazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
CalSlayer

I'm edging towards the HD Collection, a lot of people do say Silent Hill 2 was amazing - I'm sure I can withstand glitches!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Alan Fake

The Slam Van's Gamercard
HD all the way, played Downpour and thought it was dirt
Alan Fake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Sgt Scyther

Sgt Scyther's Gamercard
I know you already made your decision but I would have gone with Downpour. All the technical issues surrounding the HD collection doesn't make it worth the asking price and Downpour is the best Silent Hill game since SH3.

Last Completed Retail: BioShock Infinite
Last Completed Arcade: Sonic the Fighters
Nothing personal, but I do not accept random friend requests.
Sgt Scyther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
HellspawnRei

HellspawnRei's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
HD Collection all the way.
Downpour is nothing compared to SH2 and SH3.
And SH2 is the best in the series.

I'm glad you made the right choice.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Devin Caitlyn

Devin Caitlyn's Gamercard
I'd definitely pick up downpour and just buy these two games (1 and 2) for their original platforms. The collection was very glitchy and really wasn't worth the money.
Devin Caitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Madame Kennedy

makeSHIFTxNine's Gamercard
I've heard that the HD Collection was glitchy mainly (and ironically) for PS3 folks. Being a 360 user, I haven't experienced much in the way of glitches, per say. I have come across audio looping, but that's not really an end of the world kind of thing. About the only thing really that upset me with the collection was the changing/removal of certain sounds present in the original PS2 version. For instance, veteran players no doubt knowing, the certain boat horn noise that usually plays when going down a certain looooooong staircase (don't want to spoil for newbies) is no longer there. There's only a bizarre clicking noise amongst silence. Being one of my favorite sounds in the game, that really ticked me off, and I personally don't see Konami planning to fix any of that. If they can't be assed to pay the original voice actors, I doubt they'll commit much more to the gamers.

But anyway, to the initial question at hand, I would personally choose the HD collection over Downpour. In my honest opinion, every Silent Hill game after 4 has pretty much sucked and only diluted the quality of the series. If you want to get the true feeling of Silent Hill, I would DEFINITELY recommend the Collection, hands down.
Madame Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Catwoman

Grotesque Fiend's Gamercard
silent hill games are awesome

Silent Hill Downpour is okay, although it is not very scary. It is a short game, and I completed it in 2 days, I like the Otherworld parts of the game though, but I thought the storyline for this game was weak. This game is kind of a departure from the survival horror theme/genre.

This game is reletively easy to complete, except boss fights like fighting the bogeyman,on hard dificulty/hard puzzle difficulty was extremely hard for me. I got stuck there and eventually sold the game, although if I got past that then, I would have completed most of the stupid side missions that are only worth 5 Gamerscore. The difficulty in the game affects the location of puzzle items, that you need to find, and how difficult it is to beat a boss in the game. For example on easy difficulty, when I fought the bogeyman, I had a handgun, and lots of health, on hard dificulty I had a fireaxe, and barely any health, it was impossible. At least Silent Hill Homecing still has the creepy survival horror feeling, that game was slighty better, than Downpour.

I've started playing the HD Collection, myself so far it is good. If you like survival horror games then you'll like this series and resident evil among others.

Last edited by Catwoman; 10-18-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Kizaru Jiruga

Kizaru Jiruga's Gamercard
mmmm... downpour is a very good game, but if you like the old times you choose will be HD collection
Kizaru Jiruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Miss Allen86

Miss Allen86's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
If you played the original games 1, 2, 3, 4 and then you play Downpour, you'll notice a big change from then to now. I believe the newer Silent Hill title are developed by a different company along side Konami of course but the changes in Downpour are noticeable. Downpour to me seemed more action filled and had you using weapons alot more often as for the older ones were more like a puzzle solving mind F game. Anyway enough of my ranting. Play the HD collection their classics but also play Downpour. Their all great games.

Join my group - Survival Horror Lovers

Miss Allen86 is offline   Reply With Quote