PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Exhausted Dad

ddi0994's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
What I always wanted Fable to be

I had to ask this but does anyone else feel this way. I have played every Fable but to me they have gotten worse instead of better. I mean running around making fart and burping sounds only takes you so far. But Amalur is exactly where I was hoping Fable would have went. Its long but not drawn out, there is a ton of loot and the fighting is on par with any RPG. So far it just seems like a lot of fun and no real chore to it. Great job Big Huge Games, Look forward to your next project.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
KirbyTheAlmighty

foxhound kirby's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I actually disagree 100%.
I played Amular for about 20 hours, and after that, everything was an absolute chore. I just couldn't play it anymore. Whereas, Fable 3 was better than Fable 2, in my opinion.

To each their own, though.

Xbox One / Day One
KirbyTheAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I just ran through the two DLC's for this after not playing it for a couple months and I can say I agree with both of you a bit.

Pros
-The combat is constantly fun especially being able to change classes at anytime with a Fateweaver.
-The menu system is damn near perfect, other RPG's should take note.
-The length. No shortage of quests to do here.

Cons
-The story. I didn't care about anything anybody was saying the entire time I played this, DLC included. All dialogue skipped by mashing the "X" button. I seriously didn't find a single character interesting.
-Fetch quest hell. There might be hundreds of quests in the game but there are about three variations of the type of quests you get. I can acutally only think of two, "go kill it" or "go get it."
-Some finicky achievements (Green Thumb, Exterminator, Murder Most Fowl) again based on fetch questing and grinding.

I played The Legend of Dead Kel late last night, trying to finish the quest to fully restore Gravehal Keep and I really started to think it would never end.

Go find 15 of "this item."
Exit the area of the quest-giver.
Load.
Fast travel.
Load.
Gather the 15 items.
Save.
Fast travel.
Load.
Enter the area of the quest-giver.
Load.
Here's 15 of "that item."
Quest Giver: "Oh good. Come back later, I'll need some time."
Me: "You and me both."
Exit the area of the quest-giver.
Load.
Fast travel to my house.
Load.
Enter my house to get to my bed to wait 48 hours.
Load.
Goto the bed.
Wait.
Load.
Save.
Exit the house.
Load.
Fast travel back to the fetch quest giver.
Load.
Quest complete.
New Quest: Go find 15 of "this item."

I literally spent more time waiting around in this fictional world than I did playing in it.

Last edited by WalterWhite; 05-08-2012 at 08:25 AM.
WalterWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
xKRAIZEEMANx

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I can see where you are coming from. It did have some hint of "Fableness" to it. It was a great game.

xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Exhausted Dad

ddi0994's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
@Kirby, I may have come off a little harsh because I did enjoy Fable otherwise I wouldn't have played all 3 and some of things were pretty good in 3 especially the whole kingdom and ruling as King. But overall I feel the game was getting a little silly where the 1st was a more serious game. Remember the commercial for the 1st Fable with the guy in the subway, that was awesome and I think they have gotten away from the feel. But do respect your opinion.
@Walter, love the sig. You are right some things are a little tedious but to be fair most RPG's are a lot of running and fetching. I'm enjoying the story so far and thats a big element for most games if you don't enjoy the story it is going to make for a big chore.
Yeah Krazy it really does have that Fable feel to it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Mommox

Mommox's Gamercard
Agree with Exhausted Dad.

I've played Fable TLC, Fable 2 and 3... TLC was an amizing action-RPG, with armors, bosses, and intresting magic powers (that stuck with the "karma" of the char) and a good challenge level.

Fable 2 was an horrible action-rpg, with useless clothes (no stats, WTF?), no bosses (just one near the end of the game...), an HORRIBLE ending, and no challenge... (I've beat the game in 9.30 hours with ALL the sidequests done, without being defeated once). No exp, no mana... what? Still an RPG? And the story... with that ending... non sense.

Fable 3 was even worse if possible... framerate issues, no challenge (1 achievment obtained for being not defeated. WTF?), stil no bosses, just a bunch of more-powerful normal enemies (but the last one, that "tried" to be a boss... this amazing enemy with the power of a chicken)... with just a bit better story than Fable 2 but with a lot of time wasted by farming gold (like 4-5 hours of the 14 total).

Then comes Amalur... maybe not an epic story, but armores are back (a LOT of armors), hp, mana, exp, classes, a huge world map, endless hours of gameplay (9-14 hours Fable2/3... 60+ Amalur, just for Main quest).

For me? Amalur = Fable wannabe. Or at least, Fable without all the useless things that Moulinex loved to insert, like "funny" emotes (farting and co.), kick-the-chicken competition, stupid npc gifts etc.
Mommox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Darth Cuda

Darth Cuda's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Comparing any game to the Fable series is an insult. 1 was good for its time thats it (I own and completed all 3). As far as people complaining about fetch/kill quests.....its an rpg what did you expect?

EDIT: you will love Dragon's dogma better than all the rest mentioned here including elder scrolls the epic battles are second to none.

Last edited by Darth Cuda; 09-16-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Darth Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I was having a discussion with 2 friends earlier. All 3 of us were playing KoA, and we came to the conclusion that its Fable with an Oblivion sized world. Probably better analogies out there, but the only Fable I ever liked was the first. I've played 2 and 3, and I have to say, I don't like either 1 bit. Completely disappointing, and not much to do in them. Yeah they employed great voice actors, but that's where all the money went.

I will admit, I have been skipping dialogue,which is unusual for me, as I like to find out what's going on, but I don't rightly care for any of the characters in the game. 17 hours in, and I'm level 13, and I've been running round completing side quests and have hardly touched the main quest. Plenty of loot available, which is nice, and my mage elf is already tearing enemies apart with ease. Can see I'm gonna be making a beast character quite soon.

One thing I will say, skill trainers are bloody extortionists! But at least the world of Amalur is a bright, vibrant and colourful one. Shame that I won't have much time for it once the new Minecraft update comes out. But until then, I'm going to enjoy every minute I get on it.

Some may chastise me for this, but I think its better than Skyrim. KoA and Two Worlds 2 have been my favourite RPG's played since I first played Oblivion. Yes, I enjoyed the Two Worlds series, and loved every minute. I know I'm strange, so no need to tell me.

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Darth Cuda

Darth Cuda's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Nothing wrong with loving TW2. I enjoyed 1 despite the horrible frame rate issues. Riding a big albino lizard won me over.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
FrozenRage1989

FrozenRage1989's Gamercard
This is what I told my roommate cause we have both been long time Fable fans, but he just doesn't care for slightly more serious games. He likes his farting and burping. It just sucks we probably won't see a sequel to this.
FrozenRage1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
VitaminAmy

VitaminAmy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Donator - Level 1   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
I have played every Fable but to me they have gotten worse instead of better.
I totally agree.
I love Kingdoms of Amalur.. one of my favorite sandbox RPGs.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
Slaughter XBA
CAPITAL LETTERS

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
The thing about Fable and Reckoning was that you can't relate or connect with ANY of the NPCs. Sure they have names and actually have interesting stuff to say in Reckoning, but they all look the same, talk the same, are a tad to expressive, and just have relatively dull personalities. BUT, the combat is awesome when you gracefully maiming and massacring monsters.
Slaughter XBA is offline   Reply With Quote