PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Gears of War 3
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: Poor programming? Or developer lazyness
Poor programming with no foresight of achievement requirements. 86 32.82%
Lazy developers who want to stop coding new events. 176 67.18%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
lifeexpectancy

LifeExpectancy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
If you're wondering why you didn't get an event ribbon...

If you were on the fence about starting Gears 3's achievements because of War Supporter, do it NOW. Now is the best and possibly last time to do it if they change this.

Does anyone else find it a massive coincidence that they did this at Halo 4's launch instead of weeks or months ago? I think the supposed "hand-written letter" he says he received is a lie.

NEW INFO: SUPPOSEDLY (see above) some genuinely frustrated gamer sent PetNub (the guy who changes the events) a 2-page handwritten letter. Because of this letter (or maybe this was already in the works and the "letter" is a ruse), PetNub has bumped ALL players to 29/30 events, so that the next event that counts for you will onyx War Supporter for you.

It does NOT reset which unique event I.D.'s you've played in, so you still need to play in an event you haven't previously done to get your 30th. This makes this "fix" much better for new players than pre-existing ones.

For rest of original post, see below:

Up-to-date info: This is a long read, but if you want to UNDERSTAND the event system (as best as it's currently able to be understood) please read this entire post BEFORE replying to the thread.

Groundrules:

1. Understand that the Event name and the Ribbon name do not matter. Think of it this way: their server recognizes the event from Week 1 as '##Event##01/35' for instance. Week 35 would be '##Event##35/35' in this manner. Since they cannot repeat event 1, the cycle is 34 events. Event numbers 36-69 will be repeats of events 2-35 as far as the server is concerned. Then event 70 will start the cycle for a 3rd time if we get that far.

2. You CANNOT get credit toward War Supporter more than once for each unique event I.D. For instance if you played during Event 2, then Event 36 would not count for you since it is a repeat of Event 2's unique I.D.

3. If you're just starting Gears 3: DO NOT MISS MORE THAN FOUR EVENTS, or you will be forced to repeat the cycle, since if you miss more than 4 events you won't be able to hit 30 events played within any one 34 event cycle. Cycle 1 was 35 events. We can't repeat event 1 so we're down to a 34-event cycle now. Therefore, I would suggest not missing more than 3 events just in case, if you're just starting this game.

4. They aren't consistently starting events on Friday mornings anymore. As of Sep/Oct 2012 the past couple events have taken 3-5 weeks to change. Check this forum or the event twitter religiously, or play 2-3 games a week: one on Wed, one on Sat, and possibly a third on Mon, just to make SURE you don't miss an event.

5. At this point you have to ignore the event and ribbon names and focus on which event #'s in the 34-week cycle you've played.

I'm posting the events in the same format as the event calendar thread here and will update it continuously and as promptly as I can when new events are up.

Cycle 1, events 1-35 (ended)

Cycle 2, events 2-35 repeated (in progress)

Event #36 (repeat of event 2): RavenDown 24/7 -------- May 18 - 20
Event #37 (repeat of event 3): Stay Frosty -------------- May 25 - 28
Event #38 (repeat of event 4): One Shot One Kill -------- June 1 - 11
Event #39 (repeat of event 5): Shotguns And Snipers --- June 11 - 14
Event #40 (repeat of event 6): Assassination ------------ June- 14 - 18
Event #41 (repeat of event 7): Gnashty Guardian -------- June 19 - 27
Event #42 (repeat of event 8): Gnashty Guardian -------- June 27 - July 2
Event #43 (repeat of event 9): Wingman 2x XP ----------- July 2 - July 12th
Event #44 (repeat of event 10): Force Multiplayer ----------July 12th - 20th
Event #45 (repeat of event 11): Triple Threat --------------July 20th - 27th
Event #46 (repeat of event 12): Boom Snipes ------------- July 27th - Aug 3rd
Event #47 (repeat of event 13): Stay Frosty --------------- Aug 3rd - 10th
Event #48 (repeat of event 14): Stay Frosty (again) ------- Aug 10th - 17th
Event #49 (repeat of event 15): Raven Down 24/7 -------- Aug 17th - 24th
Event #50 (repeat of event 16): Raven Down 24/7--------- Aug 24th - 31st
Event #51 (repeat of event 17): 1 Shot 1 Kill --------------- Aug 31st - Sep 7th
Event #52 (repeat of event 18): KOTGnasher --------------Sep 7th - 16th
Event #53 (repeat of event 19): Bros to the End ----------- Sep 16th - Oct 11th
Event #54 (repeat of event 20): Torque Bow Tag --------- Oct 11th - 30th
Event #55 (repeat of event 21): Boom Snipes -------------- Oct 30th - Nov 5th
Event #56 (repeat of event 22): Boom Snipes -------------- Nov 5th - Nov 14th
Event #57 (repeat of event 23): Boom Snipes -------------- Nov 14th - 21st
Event #58 (repeat of event 24): Thanksgibbing ------------ Nov 21st - 30th
Event #59 (repeat of event 25): One Shot One Kill --------- Nov 30th - Dec ?
Event #60 (repeat of event 26): Bros to the End ------------ Dec? - Dec 14th
Event #61 (repeat of event 27): Hardcore Weekend -------- Dec 14th - Dec 17th
Event #62 (repeat of event 28): Can You Dig It? ------------ Dec 17th - Dec 21st
Event #63 (repeat of event 29): This is My Rifle ------------- Dec 21st - Dec 26th
Event #64 (repeat of event 30): One shot One Kill ----------- Dec26th - ??
Event #65 (repeat of event 31):
Event #66 (repeat of event 32):
Event #67 (repeat of event 33):
Event #68 (repeat of event 34):
Event #69 (repeat of event 35):
HALO:MCC >>>>>>> Interested in Online Customs, Squadmates for Ranked, and Co-Op Campaign. I am on 6am-4pm GMT on my nights off (Midnight-10am US Central). Copy this signature with your play times so we can populate our friends lists with fellow Halo:MCC players BEFORE launch!! If you add me do it on XB1 please; my 360 friends list is nearly full.

Last edited by lifeexpectancy; 12-29-2012 at 12:20 PM.
lifeexpectancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
well that explains it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
In that case, people will have to download more RAM for it. Consoles have come a long way since they first appeared, so this is very possible.
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
lifeexpectancy

My money says that after the legit seekers started unlocking Socialite around week 30-33 Epic saw the population in matchmaking plummet faster than the stock market in 2008 and said "Fuck it, let's just set this thing to loop the 35 events we've made and call it a day".
HALO:MCC >>>>>>> Interested in Online Customs, Squadmates for Ranked, and Co-Op Campaign. I am on 6am-4pm GMT on my nights off (Midnight-10am US Central). Copy this signature with your play times so we can populate our friends lists with fellow Halo:MCC players BEFORE launch!! If you add me do it on XB1 please; my 360 friends list is nearly full.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
SR x FUZiON

UGM Assassin's Gamercard
This really sucks, I missed the Christmas ones (is that really surprising? its fucking Christmas, im not going to be playing gears.). I will vote in the poll but I doubt nothing will be done about it just like the rank resetting, that has been around since Gears of war 2.

EDIT: how can they have a maximum amount of unique events?

Started on 21/08/2011

Last edited by SR x FUZiON; 05-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.
SR x FUZiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Robbo1991

Robbo1991's Gamercard
So glad I was done with that event BS when the socialite glitch happened to me, allowed me to play when I want not religiously having to play every weekend to get them stupid ribbons! Anyway I thought they were going to add in something to the ribbon section to show people which event ribbons they have? I'm sure I read something about that on these forums
Old 05-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
lifeexpectancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo1991 View Post
So glad I was done with that event BS when the socialite glitch happened to me, allowed me to play when I want not religiously having to play every weekend to get them stupid ribbons! Anyway I thought they were going to add in something to the ribbon section to show people which event ribbons they have? I'm sure I read something about that on these forums
People want them to, but I haven't read anything about it here. Maybe on Epic's forums? I avoid those like the plague.

Even knowing which ones you missed won't take the sting out of waiting an extra 6 months if you played early on and missed recent events. As long as they don't randomize them, adding in the ability to see which ones we have would at LEAST allow people to plan ahead which weekends to play. But that's a baby step. Socialite has been a clusterfuck since day 1 and they need to just give up and let people unlock it in private matches. Enough people did at launch that it defeated the purpose of having it as a badge of honor for Gears fanatics anyway, so enough with the dog and pony show already.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
fullmetal289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo1991 View Post
Amen to that, and we supposedly got more "events" than anyone can legitimately lol

Since there are only 35 events and you can only earn each one once. I have over 60 events completed lmao
fullmetal289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
smashingrascal

smashingrascal's Gamercard
I missed 6 or 7 events somewhere down the way but don't know which one. I don't play GoW3 that often anymore and I have to get 1-3 events for socialite but it's a pain to try and find out so I guess i'm not getting the achievement.
smashingrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
MMMDI

MMMDI's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingrascal View Post
I missed 6 or 7 events somewhere down the way but don't know which one. I don't play GoW3 that often anymore and I have to get 1-3 events for socialite but it's a pain to try and find out so I guess i'm not getting the achievement.
If you're that close, don't give up. Keep an eye on this thread, and if you see a new event mentioned, spend the ten minutes to play a round of warzone or something.
MMMDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
TrishTheDish

Becky Black Ops's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexpectancy View Post
My money says that after the legit seekers started unlocking Socialite around week 30-33 Epic saw the population in matchmaking plummet faster than the stock market in 2008 and said "Fuck it, let's just set this thing to loop the 35 events we've made and call it a day".
QFMFT.

This is so bloody ridiculous! I was raging last night when I figured out what was going on.... definitely lazy programming at its worst. After all, these are the same people who "can't make Guardian Private".
Old 05-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
BosmaniaK

Bosmaniak's Gamercard
i missed about 7 events in march/april
now I feel seriously F'd in the A.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
lifeexpectancy

Welcome to the cash grab that video game development has become, for the most part, these past few years or so. It's so mainstream now that devs care less about originality, quality development, thorough bug testing, or their fan base's opinions (for the most part on this last one, some still do). Game development is rapidly becoming just like Hollywood. Shovel shit out year after year with no regard for quality or sustainability, let alone the people you're trying to sell it to, in order to reap as much profit in as short a time span as possible.

If the gaming industry keeps its current pace of deteoriorating standards, it will soon implode.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
lotsanoisy69

lotsanoisy69's Gamercard
Just read your post and compared games, and you sir have quite the amazing list!!!
lotsanoisy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
MMMDI

MMMDI's Gamercard
I can confirm... I was at 4/30, signed in after reading some posts here, and instantly jumped to 29/30. Awesome!
MMMDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
ZXEVA

ZXEVA's Gamercard
I just sign in and suddenly it pop up on main menu screen! 29/30!
I got one free ribbon since I'm already 28/30.
..........just one.........
Anyway it become 29/30, should I thank to Epic? Ha ha...
ZXEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Sidn22ey

Legit completion is the ONLY completion worth aiming for.

Sidn22ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #17
dotCody

dotCody's Gamercard
It's still Cupid's Wingfuckingman.

dotCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #18
PG_MaxPayne

MaxPayne2004's Gamercard
Just tried playing the Cupid's Wingman playlist after picking up a used copy at GameStop and it didn't unlock for me, although I did see my progress get bumped up to 29/30 like everyone has been saying.

1...MORE...EVENT!!!! Just give me my f***ing event so I can get the 70 gamerscore and be happy with my 1,800/2,000 in GoW3!
PG_MaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
XoNiNjAlEoNoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexpectancy View Post
Poor programming? Or just developer lazyness...
None of them... just Epic motherfucking Games

Just another freak, in the freak kingdom.
XoNiNjAlEoNoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
KingBroly

KingBroly's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
I wish I could choose both.

Completed Games:
TMNT, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (1250), Halo 3 (1750), Fable II (1350), Tomb Raider: Underworld, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (1250), Resident Evil 5 (1300), Tales of Vesperia, Halo 3: ODST, Modern Warfare 2, Bayonetta, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Madden NFL 11, Borderlands (1750), Mass Effect 2 (1355), Sonic Generations
KingBroly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
ernestolefty

ernesto lefty's Gamercard
tats confusing... u see i did not play the first event aftr the game was launched.. so according to the post i sld be getn it this week as its been reset this week.. rite.. im sure i havnt played raven down 24/7 before.. so i tried it thirce today and didnt get the medal!!! why?! this is real bullshit from epic.. the gamers must do something about this.. they cant do this to us.. what garantee do i have that i might get the ribbons in the second cycle.. as i did not today... this is not right!
ernestolefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
ExtremeRugburn

Extreme Rugburn's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
It would be nice if they made an individual ribbon for each event and added them to the ribbon page so you could see which you need. That way every time an event happens they can announce which ribbon you get and then players can cross referrance with their list.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
Dongo 3

Dongo 3's Gamercard
Angry Grrrrr

I know it's not the end of the world, but I am really ticked about this. I needed one more event and took a few weeks off, thinking it didn't matter. Now, who knows if/when I'll get it now?

Poll makes no sense to me, as nobody here actually knows. If I had to guess, I'd say both are probably true.
Dongo 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #24
lifeexpectancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongo 3 View Post
I know it's not the end of the world, but I am really ticked about this. I needed one more event and took a few weeks off, thinking it didn't matter. Now, who knows if/when I'll get it now?

Poll makes no sense to me, as nobody here actually knows. If I had to guess, I'd say both are probably true.
I just put the poll on there as a kind of "What's your opinion?" thing. Like I said my opinion is that they're just too fucking lazy, although the explanation that they want to keep their numbers up seems equally likely. What a bunch of fucktards.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #25
Gonzogasm

Bobblehead Jay's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongo 3 View Post

I'm in this boat too. 29 ribbons out of 30 I've gotten and I have no idea which one I'm missing.
Gonzogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
fohf

fohf's Gamercard
Should be a "both" option on the poll.

Of course they were going to run out of original ideas for events. What they should have done is set it up like Valve did for L4D2 and just count participation in the weekly event, not count the number of SPECIFIC events.

As for their excuse for not being able to change it (or any of the other stupid decisions) that's complete bullshit. They are simply done working on this game and have abandoned making improvements.
fohf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #27
AJCKTA

AJCKTA's Gamercard
Well this sucks, I played for the first few weekends then stopped playing, can't remember why was ages ago. I know i came back and played every now and then.. I'm at 7/30 and I have no idea which ones i've done.. I haven't gotten a ribbon these last 2 weekends so we'll see. Sigh epic.. such fail
AJCKTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #28
lifeexpectancy

Original post updated to contain latest event tagging information as I understand it, given that this week's ribbon had a 'new name' but is still a recycled event # from week 4.

Last edited by lifeexpectancy; 06-12-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
Avernar

Avernar's Gamercard
You mean week 4, right?
Avernar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #30
lifeexpectancy

Oh you're right, this last one that started late was week 39, or week 4 of the 2nd round of the 35 week cycle. Updating OP. Thanks!