PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim > Hearthfire
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
IMPOSSIBLE DAN

DanielHimself's Gamercard
Question Anyone having difficulty buying a house in Falkreath?

I have been trying to buy a house in Falkreath for about 45 minutes now, and yes I have asked the steward as well about buying land, I have even went back to a save made about a week ago and I can't.

Thanks.

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/ImDanielHimself
IMPOSSIBLE DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Gnomestone

The only house that I was able to buy is the one from the Dawnstar Jarl.

I have no clue how to get the other 2 plots of land for the achievement. I've talked to nearly every Jarl, which ones sell plots of land besides the Dawnstar one?
Gnomestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
IMPOSSIBLE DAN

DanielHimself's Gamercard
In Morthal talk the the steward.

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/ImDanielHimself
IMPOSSIBLE DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Samurai Ralan

Samurai Ralan's Gamercard
Make sure you don't have a radiant open from another location as it locks out the Jarl, check this: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Becoming_Thane and scroll down to the Falk part. I had "The Mirror" open under Misc. quests, couldn't do anything until went back and finished it.

Samurai Ralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
ihlee

Talking Your suggestion is right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Ralan View Post
Make sure you don't have a radiant open from another location as it locks out the Jarl, check this: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Becoming_Thane and scroll down to the Falk part. I had "The Mirror" open under Misc. quests, couldn't do anything until went back and finished it.
Samurai Ralan's suggestion is spot on! I had a rare items radiant quest to find an Amulet of Arkay for a person in Windhelm. I couldn't find the amulet for a long time and gave up. After getting a hint from the Syrim Wiki site I found the amulet and completed the quest.

Once this quest was completed I could get missions from the Falkreath Jarl, for fetching Black Briar Meade and killing some bandits, and unlocked the ability to purchase land and build a house. Previously I spent an hour trying to buy land but the Jarl wouldn't grant quests and his steward kept giving me the same radiant slay dragon quest that led no where.

Thanks much to Samurai Ralan!
ihlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihlee View Post
Samurai Ralan's suggestion is spot on! I had a rare items radiant quest to find an Amulet of Arkay for a person in Windhelm. I couldn't find the amulet for a long time and gave up. After getting a hint from the Syrim Wiki site I found the amulet and completed the quest.

Once this quest was completed I could get missions from the Falkreath Jarl, for fetching Black Briar Meade and killing some bandits, and unlocked the ability to purchase land and build a house. Previously I spent an hour trying to buy land but the Jarl wouldn't grant quests and his steward kept giving me the same radiant slay dragon quest that led no where.

Thanks much to Samurai Ralan!
This has also been looked into at length. I've said that I have a character who HAS completed the Amulet of Arkay quests who can NOT buy Falkreath land and IS thane there and another who HASN'T completed the Amulet of Arkay quest and CAN buy Falkreath land.

This quest is NOT a deciding factor.
buggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Laxi

Laaxi's Gamercard
i have the same problem. when i talk to the steward there is no option to buy anything. i can buy morthal/dawnstar. and yes i am thane everywhere.

so i loaded a 50~ hours older savegame of the same character and suddenly i was able to buy all three plots. i have no clue what triggers this bug, but i would really like to build a house near falkreath on my current savegame -_-
Laxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Gnomestone

Yeah the only plot of land I can't buy is Falkreath. Guess I'll just keep completing miscellaneous quests hoping something triggers the land purchase.
Gnomestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Mr Yac

Mr Yac's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
having the same issue, falkreath just doesn't want to help me out. very annoying
Mr Yac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Arsenic 17

Arsenic 17's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Micro Guide - Silver   Submit - Diamond   Over Achiever - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Road Map - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Diamond   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
This thread explains what worked for me and many others. Just make sure if you have any of the quests listed, complete them. I had one open miscellaneous quest off the list, did it, then I was able to buy the land.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=386071

GOAL : 300,000 Gamersore by Dec 31, 2015 -
331 COMPLETED GAMES (116 WP / 83 360 /32 W8 / 2 GFWL / 14 XB1 / 81 XBLA / 3 Other)

Check out my 124 Achievement Guides <HERE>

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram: @Lumiatography < LINK
Arsenic 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
yourbreakfast99

Breakfas's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I was able to buy it without a problem.
yourbreakfast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #12
Skillet

Send a message via MSN to Skillet

Skillet x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Staff Club - Skillet   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   SOTF Runner Up   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
WOW.

Okay. So apparently... I was blocked because the Courier never actually gave me the letter to purchase land from Falkreath. The first time I played through this DLC, he only gave me the letter to upgrade Breezehome with a Child's Bedroom, and the one from the Riften Orphanage to adopt children.

My suspicions on why this happened is because the first time I was approached by the courier, I was in Whiterun. When he gave me the letter from the Steward in Falkreath, I was actually standing in Falkreath. It makes little sense that I would still be able to purchase the houses in Dawnstar and Morthal without letters, but was unable to purchase a house in Falkreath.

The only conclusion I can make on this matter is that by receiving and reading the letter about available land in Falkreath, it created a quest for buying land in Fakreath, and essentially forced the Jarl's Steward, Tekla, to make the dialogue available.

What sucks... is that the only way I was able to fix this was by reloading a save from 20 hours ago... the last possible save in my rotation... from before I bought any land or even started the Hearthfire DLC.

So to anyone who is still having trouble with Falkreath.

Try to reload a save from BEFORE you started playing Hearthfire. And then fast travel to Falkreath and wait for the courier to approach you. If he doesn't give you a letter to purchase land in Falkreath, repeat that process until he does, or until you give up.

Just might end some of your frustration.

Read them.... apply them.

Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #13
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels N Skins View Post
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Becoming_Thane
Interesting that certain quests must be completed before Falkreath Jarl will give a quest. Hopefully this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels N Skins View Post
I can confirm that this works. Just clear the listed quests.
Thanks for looking that up again but it isn't that simple.

Most people on the several threads with Falkreath problems are beyond most of these issues.

Out of the misc quests I've completed at least 6 of the 7, the one I might be missing is the half moon mill as the female vampire was with the male vampire when I completed the DB quest to kill him. However as we're only required to complete 3 of these that's not likely to matter and I was able to become thane there long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
WOW.

Okay. So apparently... I was blocked because the Courier never actually gave me the letter to purchase land from Falkreath. The first time I played through this DLC, he only gave me the letter to upgrade Breezehome with a Child's Bedroom, and the one from the Riften Orphanage to adopt children.

My suspicions on why this happened is because the first time I was approached by the courier, I was in Whiterun. When he gave me the letter from the Steward in Falkreath, I was actually standing in Falkreath. It makes little sense that I would still be able to purchase the houses in Dawnstar and Morthal without letters, but was unable to purchase a house in Falkreath.

The only conclusion I can make on this matter is that by receiving and reading the letter about available land in Falkreath, it created a quest for buying land in Fakreath, and essentially forced the Jarl's Steward, Tekla, to make the dialogue available.

What sucks... is that the only way I was able to fix this was by reloading a save from 20 hours ago... the last possible save in my rotation... from before I bought any land or even started the Hearthfire DLC.

So to anyone who is still having trouble with Falkreath.

Try to reload a save from BEFORE you started playing Hearthfire. And then fast travel to Falkreath and wait for the courier to approach you. If he doesn't give you a letter to purchase land in Falkreath, repeat that process until he does, or until you give up.

Just might end some of your frustration.
Hmm...

Problem with the letter theory is you're not supposed to receive one from any of the holds you're already a thane in, does that fit in with the letters you did/didn't receive?

I've tried reloading a pre-HF save game several times and I've only ever received letters from the orphanage and whiterun which goes with the thane thing.

The more I read the more I think the most important thing is to remember to hand in radient bounty quests as soon as possible to allow another steward or jarl to offer you another of the same type.

Last edited by buggss; 09-07-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Skillet

Send a message via MSN to Skillet

Skillet x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Staff Club - Skillet   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   SOTF Runner Up   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggss View Post
Thanks for looking that up again but it isn't that simple.

Most people on the several threads with Falkreath problems are beyond most of these issues.

Out of the misc quests I've completed at least 6 of the 7, the one I might be missing is the half moon mill as the female vampire was with the male vampire when I completed the DB quest to kill him. However as we're only required to complete 3 of these that's not likely to matter and I was able to become thane there long ago.

Hmm...

Problem with the letter theory is you're not supposed to receive one from any of the holds you're already a thane in, does that fit in with the letters you did/didn't receive?

I've tried reloading a pre-HF save game several times and I've only ever received letters from the orphanage and whiterun which goes with the thane thing.

The more I read the more I think the most important thing is to remember to hand in radient bounty quests as soon as possible to allow another steward or jarl to offer you another of the same type.
That's just it, I wasn't a thane of Falkreath. But I was also unable to become thane of Falkreath. I completed the Stormcloak questline so the Jarl was Dengeir and the steward is Tekla. And they wouldn't give me any quests to complete so that I could become thane.

Also, the letter didn't reference becoming a thane. It just informed me that land was available. I had completed all of the quests I could on my previous attempts and I was never made a thane, nor would they sell me the land.

So for me, at least, reloading a previous save and receiving the letter to buy land was the only way I was able to purchase the plot.

Read them.... apply them.

Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
That's just it, I wasn't a thane of Falkreath. But I was also unable to become thane of Falkreath. I completed the Stormcloak questline so the Jarl was Dengeir and the steward is Tekla. And they wouldn't give me any quests to complete so that I could become thane.

Also, the letter didn't reference becoming a thane. It just informed me that land was available. I had completed all of the quests I could on my previous attempts and I was never made a thane, nor would they sell me the land.

So for me, at least, reloading a previous save and receiving the letter to buy land was the only way I was able to purchase the plot.
I'm glad someone got their problem sorted.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
Darkbee007

Darkbee007's Gamercard
Become Thane of the hold, then the jarl should offer the land.
Darkbee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
Arsenic 17

Arsenic 17's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Micro Guide - Silver   Submit - Diamond   Over Achiever - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Road Map - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Diamond   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbee007 View Post
Become Thane of the hold, then the jarl should offer the land.
Hey retard did you read any of this thread before posting? Of course you didnt! Thanks for the tip though. If Bethesda could actually program a game, you would be correct!

GOAL : 300,000 Gamersore by Dec 31, 2015 -
331 COMPLETED GAMES (116 WP / 83 360 /32 W8 / 2 GFWL / 14 XB1 / 81 XBLA / 3 Other)

Check out my 124 Achievement Guides <HERE>

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram: @Lumiatography < LINK
Arsenic 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic 17 View Post
Hey retard did you read any of this thread before posting? Of course you didnt! Thanks for the tip though. If Bethesda could actually program a game, you would be correct!
LOL!

Well I was gonna word it slightly differently but let's go with yours.

Incidentally, something new on that new character I decided to go with. I received the letter from Siddgeir early on to visit which I did sometime later, was asked to clear out the Ember bandits and upon returning to him was offered the chance to buy the land there and then. No mead quest, hadn't even started the helping 3/3 falkreath denizens, wasn't thane so it has nothing to do with those. Only difference thanedom made was the housecarl appeared out of thin air as soon as Siddgeir pronounced me thane and gave me a crappy blade.

Definately a very weird system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarMattRach View Post
Did you manage to get the falkreath land ? I've tried everything, using previous saves, uninstalling dawnguard and hearth fire, but still no joy ?
Nope, not on my problem character. I've tried getting radiant quests everytime they appear from there, helping with farming collections and quests from the tavern owner for hours and hours. Nothing.

Pretty sure it'll require either a miracle or a fix and we know which of those is more likely eh? :/

Last edited by buggss; 09-16-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
squirrely1

I am having he same problem and it's sooo frustrating. Here's my situation.

First off I am on level 59 and I have completed all the main quest lines and I am thane in all the holds and have the weapons to prove it. What's weird is like after the Dawnguard DLC and now the Hearthfire one it's like the Jarl's all lose their minds and can't remember you or something :S

I completed the civil war quest long ago and sided with the Stormcloaks so I have Jarl Dengeir and Tekla as steward. Helvard is still alive in my game too and I didn't join the DB... I killed Astrid and everyone in the DB so...maybe that has something to do with it?

I have NO radiant quests open...finished those ages ago...and I have even opened up new quests by going to both Tekla and the chick running the Tavern there and I after I complete them I just get a reward and NO DIALOG FOR PURCHASING LAND from either Tekla or the Jarl....GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! THis is so frustrating because I too am anal and want to finish this achievement!!

My husband is on level 59 and he did complete the DB questline and he joined and killed Helvard and he got the option to buy land without any problem and he sided with the storm cloaks and dealt with Dengeir too.

The only thing I can figure out is after I installed the Dawnguard DLC ...one day a bunch of vampires showed up in Falkreath and practically wiped out the whole town. It killed most of the citizens. the only people still alive are the two brothers running Gray Pine Goods, the inn keeper chick and the people who are in there like that singing bard..and the alchemist chick in Grave Concoctions. Everyone else is dead...so if I have to win favor all over again by doing nice things for people I'm going to be screwed :S

It's just really amazes me that Bethesda tries to make this so complicated because it's obvious this is a really bizarre bug and I have yet to see anything that could be the cause just by scanning through this thread. It's weird. I am so frustrated!

EDIT: One more thing... I do have 2 unresolvable quests listed as "return to Skald for reward" listed that will not go away. I go back to Skald and there is no dialog that will release that from my quest log.

Last edited by squirrely1; 09-17-2012 at 04:21 AM.
squirrely1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
Homaz

Send a message via ICQ to Homaz Send a message via Skype™ to Homaz

A7 Homaz's Gamercard
I'm not able to buy a house, too. This sucks

Homaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #21
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrely1 View Post
....EDIT: One more thing... I do have 2 unresolvable quests listed as "return to Skald for reward" listed that will not go away. I go back to Skald and there is no dialog that will release that from my quest log.
That's one of the issues I have too, unable to hand a quest in to skald or his steward while he's in the palace of the kings in Windhelm.

A question; can you change your skald quest in your journal from inactive to active? Mine won't change from the diamond to the arrow in my journal.

Last edited by buggss; 09-19-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
MarMattRach

MarMattRach's Gamercard
Did you manage to get the falkreath land ? I've tried everything, using previous saves, uninstalling dawnguard and hearth fire, but still no joy ?
MarMattRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #23
ListlessDonkey

ListlessDonkey's Gamercard
Just a heads up to anyone have difficulty with this. When I was not given the option to become thane I started doing all the radiant quests. It was after an hour of so of doing this that I realised I hadn't killed the bandits the Jarl wanted me to kill...

It is possible to have more than one bounty with the Jarl so make sure you do the 'kill the ___ at ____' quests before panicing.
ListlessDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote