Originally Posted by eenieakane
Anyone completed it that would like to share some tips? Only just scraping through the hard mode was daunting enough but this game seems somewhat underplayed so finding strategies for this game is difficult.
Although I have not completed it, I've come close so I'll try to help. Arcade Mode is basically a cut above the rest of the Story Mode play-through difficulties(Easy, Normal, & Hard). It removes the cut-scene and story aspect of the game and pits in you in a traditional linear "Arcade" style of gameplay where Score, Time, and Survival are your main objectives. Some other things that separate it from other game modes:
- You start out with 2 Lives (More can be acquired from microwaves or shops)
- Stage Layouts and Locations of items have changed here and there
- All Special Moves / Abilities are available from the start
- You CANNOT save your game
- Shop Items are more expensive
- You only replenish 2 Health Bars after completing a Stage
- There are more enemies present in stages
- Bosses and Enemies all require more damage to defeat
- Bosses and Enemies have new attacks and also deal more damage
- You receive damage more frequently, you are invincible for shorter time after taking damage
- There are NO Continues upon a Game Over
As far as Tips are concerned, all I can really say is to take it VERY slow. Even though there is a Timer is has no effect on you other than score I believe so even if it hits 00:00 you're fine. Play each Stage deliberately and start memorizing where everything is located and where and what type of enemies spawn. Use the R-Thumb Stick to move the camera around to anticipate what lies ahead or beyond. It's a progressive Trial & Error achievement so you may start out being unable to beat Stage 1, then Stage 2, then Stage 3 etc. but after a while you'll slowly improve and conquer them one by one. Once you start getting the gist of everything, it becomes fairly predictable.
The Boss Fights will be pretty tough at first but it's all about Strategy & Practice really. Stage 1's Knight Boss doesn't even count as a true boss since he later becomes a common enemy but there are others, for example:
- Stage 2 Boss: Wolf Bane: You can fire Black Hellebore at his head as you run away from him, then do Charged Sword Slashes as he backs off. Position is everything if you want to avoid his bites. Use your Magic Attacks when you can, but try to save some for the Chicken Boss.
- Stage 3 Boss: Chicken: There are 2 parts to this fight. When fighting the Chicken, you'll use charged sword slashes at his head and double jump over his beams of fire. Use Magic when you can. For the Shmup portion, have a Turbo Controller handy and assign it to X button. Eat every fruit you see and dodge by focusing on bullets and not the enemies.
- Stage 4 Boss: Spider: One of the easier Bosses. Use 2 Charged Sword Slashes to take out its Gas mask then camp out(stay crouched) in the left or right corner. Keep spamming your Charged Slash by jumping and hitting the Spider Legs above, stay crouched when charging. If the Spider attacks, use your Evasive Roll to dodge(Down+A). Magic can also be used here if needed. On the escape section, be sure to take the right route as it is quicker and easier.
- Stage 5 Boss: Princess & White Knight. Come into this fight with 1 or 2 lives at least to give you leverage. So long as you make it to the White Knight with 1 Life you will respawn against him. Spam X button to shoot your Sword Projectile at him or use all 4 Magic Attacks and he'll go down easily. As for the Princess, be sure to Practice against her in PRACTICE MODE and have Black Hellebore fully leveled up.
Another vital thing is what you spend your hearts on. Make sure you kill every enemy you see(if possible) but don't do anything that will put you in danger. For instance, on the Stage 2 flood boat portion. Don't risk falling into the water when trying to kill the flying tiki heads but you want to do your best to kill most of the enemies in Arcade. It's best to spend your hearts on:
- Health Upgrades: Upgrade this 3 or 4 times
- Black Hellebore: Fully Upgrade this(3 purchases)
Focus on upgrading Health for Stage 1 and half of Stage 2, then level up Hellebore before the Stage 2 Boss to make the fight easier. Upgrade health again before the Chicken Boss for survivability and then from Stage 4-5 have Hellebore maxed out. After that buy what you wish but don't waste hearts on magic or 1-ups until maybe right before the end of Stage 5, you need your hearts for Health and Hellebore mainly. A fully upgraded Hellebore will be needed to beat the Princess.
That's basically all I can say about Arcade really. I've never actually beaten it before, but I've made it to the Princess on occasion. Stage 5 has a harder version of the Walnut Boss from Stage 3, apparently you take DOUBLE damage from his bullets. Once again, focus on the bullets and find openings, eat as much fruit as possible when he spits it at you between phases, and you should be okay so long as you dodge and keep your health high.
Originally Posted by The Wyzerd
Save often, take your time and enjoy!
Save option is disabled actually in pause menu. There is no Save Option in Arcade, however I completely agree with taking one's time and enjoying the game. Is it difficult? Yes. But with time it will become more manageable and maybe even, fun. I wish the best to all with becoming a True Knight!
Most of what I basically spoke of here was thanks to some help from Black Mesa so you can check out more details of Arcade from him.