PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Apple

Deez Apples's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Gold   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Call of Duty: WaW Subscribers Tourn. - Runner Up   Submit - Gold   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Rumor: Xbox Natal Is Actually Microsoft's Next Console

Quote:
So you know how Microsoft is saying Natal will be as big as a console launch? Well...yeah.
By Sam Kennedy, 06/12/2009

Earlier this week gaming blog Kotaku quoted Microsoft's Shane Kim as saying that the launch of Natal, Microsoft's new controller-free motion control technology, would be as big as the launch of a console. Not surprising. That's because Natal is going to be a new console.

On this week's Listen Up podcast we discussed Natal, and David Ellis and I talked about what we've been hearing regarding the new technology -- and how it's actually the cornerstone of Microsoft's next evolution of the Xbox. Microsoft will not only release Natal as an add-on for the Xbox 360, it will come standard with the next Xbox console.

Yes, there will be a new Xbox console next fall.

However, the new console won't just be an Xbox 360 with a camera, though -- we've heard it will be considered a new platform and carry a new name (Xbox Natal?). It's not clear what sort of upgrades we might see, but some have suggested it will be an slight upgrade of the current Xbox 360 technology. Current Xbox 360 games would be playable on it, but future games would be able to take advantage of the added muscle. Similar to what we see in the PC space, games played on the more advanced Xbox would look or perform better, but publishers will still be able to support owners of both systems. Some developers have complained that they've already maxed out the Xbox 360; perhaps this will give them room to expand.

Make no mistake, we wouldn't be talking about the sort of hardware leap we've seen with Xbox (or most other) platforms in the past, and we're not talking about Microsoft ending one console cycle and starting another. We're talking about an evolution of the Xbox 360; similar hardware but upgraded, repackaged, and rebranded. It's actually not that unlike what Nintendo did with the Wii, where it essentially took the GameCube hardware, stuck in motion controls, and successfully relaunched it. The new Xbox console is said to be aimed directly at a mainstream audience -- and will launch before Nintendo is able to release its Wii HD.

What's interesting is that Nintendo and Microsoft are on a course to deliver very similar products yet are coming at them from opposite directions. Microsoft currently has the HD hardware and will in the future introduce motion controls, while Nintendo has motion controls and will in the future introduce HD hardware. Sony's PS3 will also be providing motion controls next year, though as a peripheral for its EyeToy camera.

As John Davison pointed out on the podcast, the Wii was the first console to do this, but it's likely that all future hardware will be more iterative than substantive. The distinction between new consoles will become far less marked -- similar to what we've seen in the handheld space, such as with the transitions from the Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance, the DS to the DSi, or the PSP to the PSP Go.

So when would we first hear about this new Xbox console? Our sources point to next year's Game Developer's Conference as the target for its unveiling and Fall 2010 as the target for release.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174762

Holy shit, never saw this coming.

Last edited by Apple; 06-13-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
NathAttack

NathAttack's Gamercard
Eh, not buying it (The story, not the console).

Most proud completion: IKARUGA - 200/200

First
on x360a (and first in Australia, according to MGC.net) to complete Green Day: Rock Band
First
on x360a (and first in Australia, according to MGC.net) to complete Dance Central
NathAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
pinksheets

pinksheets's Gamercard
Not sure if that's such a great idea. Sega taught us all what happens when you overkill add-ons and new systems. Plus, it would be risky creating a wall between Xbox owners. At some point, developers may make a game that only runs on the better system, which would make everyone who bought a 360 feel like they got jerked around.

Let me add, I am not sure if I believe the story. Microsoft has been making way too many solid decisions this generation to make such a clumsy decision.

Why would they tie their ultimate casual outreach to a more beefed up (probably more expensive) console? Bundle it with current 360s, drop the price, make Sony cry.

Last edited by pinksheets; 06-13-2009 at 07:47 AM.
pinksheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
TheVoidRose

TheVoidRose's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksheets View Post
Not sure if that's such a great idea. Sega taught us all what happens when you overkill add-ons and new systems. Plus, it would be risky creating a wall between Xbox owners. At some point, developers may make a game that only runs on the better system, which would make everyone who bought a 360 feel like they got jerked around.

Let me add, I am not sure if I believe the story. Microsoft has been making way too many solid decisions this generation to make such a clumsy decision.

Why would they tie their ultimate casual outreach to a more beefed up (probably more expensive) console? Bundle it with current 360s, drop the price, make Sony cry.

Agreed, but I LOVE HD games. I pretty much gave up hope on my wii because it didn't look good on my new HDTV even with the composite cables. The graphics can look as shitty as they want, I just want to be able to see clearly what I am playing.

I would by this new 360 if it be true, hell I bought the new DSi because it looked pretty and looked awesome. Its like x4 better then the old ds systems and I see nothing wrong with that. I would even get wii HD and go enjoy me some Mario Kart or Pokemon for once
Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Glowin Smurff

Glowin Smurff's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
it's not a new platform. it's a new bundle.

Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Pro
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 Natal

plus i don't really listen to much 1up reports on, cuz meh to them, they jump at almost EVERY rumor-mill.

Glowin Smurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
TheVoidRose

TheVoidRose's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin Smurff View Post
Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Pro
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 Natal
Xbox 360 Halo Edition
Xbox 360 Simpsons Edition
Xbox 360 Gears of War Edition
Xbox 360 Resident Evil Edition..

Can be said our littl' buddy is a whore for marketing.

I agree with your Xbox 360 Natal(Edition), thats probly what it will be. I hope for it to have a better system inside, like 360 with a nas button.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
katesith

Send a message via Skype™ to katesith

Katesith x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Word of Mouth
i hope it wont be a new console but a bundle like yall are saying. i think the xbox 360 has atleast 4 more years out of it.
katesith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
What The Buck?

MetallicaChan's Gamercard
The sad thing is i'm probably going to buy it even if it is ridiculously over-priced...

Quote:
I bought a new Xbox, because it was red. RED.
What The Buck? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
pinksheets

pinksheets's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Buck? View Post
The sad thing is i'm probably going to buy it even if it is ridiculously over-priced...
Old 06-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
What The Buck?

Quote:
Sig-Worthy!

Quote:
Old 06-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
TheVoidRose

TheVoidRose's Gamercard
Quote:
I would get it to, as long as it is black and has a bigger hard drive. Somehow 120 gigs isn't enough space.

Also the person below me has some great advice!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
What The Buck?

I have great advice. But i can't think of any at the moment.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
katesith

Quote:
I would
Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Buck? View Post
Sig-Worthy!

im Doin the same as you

umm. if it is a new console i dont think it would sell well. I think its gonna be a attachment like the HD Movie thing and would be about $150
Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Apple

Deez Apples's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Gold   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Call of Duty: WaW Subscribers Tourn. - Runner Up   Submit - Gold   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katesith View Post
umm. if it is a new console i dont think it would sell well. I think its gonna be a attachment like the HD Movie thing and would be about $150
If it were sold separate, it would definitely be under $100.00.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
katesith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
If it were sold separate, it would definitely be under $100.00.
i was makin an estimate for the fact that it has it where you can play with no controllers.

Either of us could be right. i see where your getting at bc its an attachment

<THANKS AUDACIOUS!>
Old 06-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
Rowey 94
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to Rowey 94 Send a message via Skype™ to Rowey 94

Monstter Energy's Gamercard
yeah im not buyibg the console ' bundle ' but i will buy the natal
Rowey 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
v_thorne

Verkolac Thorne's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   A+ Thread Award   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I'm pretty sure when they announced it, they said "It will come with all xbox bundles in the future." Someone just has wishful/hopeful thinking to make them hear otherwise.
v_thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
Pheonix_Assassin
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to Pheonix_Assassin

Phe0nixAssass1n's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold
Quote:

Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Pro
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 Natal

plus i don't really listen to much 1up reports on, cuz meh to them, they jump at almost EVERY rumor-mill.
Im agreeing with what Smurff said!

Since they confirmed at E3 the xbox 720 or whatever you like to call it will not be released to 2015+ but thats what i heard but im still not buying the story one bit.
Pheonix_Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #19
syntax419

Rev Speezo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I could really care less at this point about Natal. Yeah the tech is kinda nifty, but if they take my controller away (make the next wave of games Natal only) then I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #20
ZundayXx

ZundayXx's Gamercard

Uuhm, lol?? More Rumors for the Trashbin!!

''All warfare is based on deception.'' - Sun Tzu
ZundayXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #21
[Waggly Bean]

Waggly Bean's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax419 View Post
I could really care less at this point about Natal. Yeah the tech is kinda nifty, but if they take my controller away (make the next wave of games Natal only) then I'm gonna be pissed.
I agree with this.

This Natal stuff looks interesting, but I wouldn't want to end up playing everything this way, no chance! That's why I have a Wii - if I want to jump around like an idiot it's there.

I also have a slight dislike for the Natal already - the advertising movie that Microsoft have put out reeks of Nintendo, complete with the extreme cheesiness. The way the one is racing the car, then the dad gets up to do the wheel change at the pit stop - it's just all so stupid. The Natal could and probably will have some great features, but that video sure as hell didn't show them! It showed stupid 'family gaming' which lets face it probably doesn't appeal to us 'real' gamers much.

[Waggly Bean] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #22
syntax419

Rev Speezo's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Waggly Bean] View Post
I also have a slight dislike for the Natal already - the advertising movie that Microsoft have put out reeks of Nintendo, complete with the extreme cheesiness. The way the one is racing the car, then the dad gets up to do the wheel change at the pit stop - it's just all so stupid. The Natal could and probably will have some great features, but that video sure as hell didn't show them! It showed stupid 'family gaming' which lets face it probably doesn't appeal to us 'real' gamers much.
lmao, I forgot about the cheesy vid already, guess my brain was trying to block that out.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #23
minigolfhool

minigolfhool's Gamercard
Yeah, Natal looks good but it doesn't look good enough to buy a new console just for being able to talk to virtual kids or driving Burnout Paradise with my hands instead of a controller. I'm all for innovation but as soon as Natal would become necessary to play top tier titels I'd think twice about my relationship with Microsoft.

minigolfhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #24
laundryman

Send a message via AIM to laundryman

a laundryman's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth
Meh. Wasn't planning on buying it anyway. Not surprising that they would do that. It would be a good excuse to overcharge for it.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
LoveAGramm

Send a message via MSN to LoveAGramm

LoveAGramm's Gamercard

It still seems interesting. I'm curious to try not to buy.
LoveAGramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #26
KostinKid

Im A ZomBay's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:

Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Pro
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 Natal

Yeah I agree^^ and I think they are aiming the bundle(Natal) for people who don't have a 360 now.

Are you a #menswear bro? If so click the box logo to check out the social group!

KostinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #27
Jappe XBA

Send a message via Skype™ to Jappe XBA

Jappe XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   GSL 12 Winner   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Donator - Level 3   Submit - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Gold   Staff Club - Jappe x360a   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
We'll see about the reviews on it first and then decide to buy it or not.

Microsoft Fanboy:
Xbox One 500GB (Day One Edition <3) Xbox 360 4GB + 320GB (NTSC) Xbox 360 E 250GB (PAL)
Xbox 360 E 250GB (NTSC-J) Nokia Lumia 1020 (WP8) Windows 8.1 Pro
Jappe XBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #28
D.A.N.

Send a message via MSN to D.A.N.

pZ Uncanny Doom's Gamercard
I think they're just going to bundle Natal with every version of the 360 once it's out. The story sounds unreasonable and weird. You have to think of it from a business perspective, and if the story were real, it would be a terrible business decision.

D.A.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #29
xXChiddyXx

Send a message via MSN to xXChiddyXx

xXChiddyXx's Gamercard
that would really piss me off, I got my 360 last Christmas, they better not bring out a new console :O

http://www.trueachievements.com/xXChiddyXx.htm

xXChiddyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #30
Evil Demon55

Send a message via AIM to Evil Demon55 Send a message via MSN to Evil Demon55

Evil Demon55's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Submit - Silver   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Dumb name=dumb product.

688 days left to go!
Evil Demon55 is offline   Reply With Quote