PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #31
Domerchuchu

DOMERCHU's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Now that is pricey...imagine you win the prize...hook everything up and dont use a surge protector and poof

Reached 100,000 GS on January 2, 2008
Reached 200,000 GS on April 25, 2009
Reached 300,000 GS on February 1, 2011
229 Completed Retail Games
Only NTSC Games
No Duplicate PAL/JPN/PC Games
Domerchuchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #32
ESJ is Shiznit

xShiZx ATX's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
People who use MACs are some of the most trendy lil pieces of turd. Get a PC and then get a MAC. put them side by side and then look at how gay the MAC looks. What you will witness next is the best part. The MAC will actually start to weep little iTears and start to iPee all over itself. Did you guys think it was a coincidence that they name their OS's after cats? They should call the next OS a 5 letter word that starts with P and ends with a Y. G37 PWN3D N\/B M@C U$3R$
ESJ is Shiznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #33
Parkerktm

Send a message via AIM to Parkerktm

JUST DO IT7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESJ is Shiznit View Post
People who use MACs are some of the most trendy lil pieces of turd. Get a PC and then get a MAC. put them side by side and then look at how gay the MAC looks. What you will witness next is the best part. The MAC will actually start to weep little iTears and start to iPee all over itself. Did you guys think it was a coincidence that they name their OS's after cats? They should call the next OS a 5 letter word that starts with P and ends with a Y. G37 PWN3D N/B M@C U$3R$
We are trendy lil pieces of turd? Besides the fact of that being the most immature line i've ever heard your statement is completely incorrect.

Loren and I were just explaining how good macs are, we both realize PC's have their strengths but we both view mac's as the best fit computer for this current generation.

Do you work for MS or something because your trashing macs for no reason. I bet you you don't even no a single spec about a mac to talk shit besides it can hook into a ipod and has itunes.....just like PC's.

Please, don't embarrass your self next time and don't make stupid immature statements like that.

God Bless America

Parkerktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #34
Ashz0r

Send a message via MSN to Ashz0r

RK I Ashz0r's Gamercard

Awards Showcase SOTF Winner   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Whats with all the PC hate lol? don't hate on PC's just because Windows is crap.. its not the only OS that you can put on a PC..

Mac's and PC's are just as good as each other..

Windows compared to Mac OS is another subject though.. but as a PC user your not obliged to use Windows.
Ashz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #35
Mustkill9

Send a message via AIM to Mustkill9

Mustkill9's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Without judging anything, I'd just like to point out that in the last 200 days, about 5078 programs for PCs were posted to Usenet. And about 2442 programs for Mac were posted to Usenet.

I am actually surprised the difference isn't greater considering the ratio of PC users to Mac users is so great. But the simple fact that so many more people are using PC translates into more software being developed for PC.

What can PC do that Mac can't do though? I don't know. I've never owned a Mac. But it must be something, if there are that many more programs for PC.
Mustkill9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #36
loren83

loren83's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustkill9 View Post
Without judging anything, I'd just like to point out that in the last 200 days, about 5078 programs for PCs were posted to Usenet. And about 2442 programs for Mac were posted to Usenet.

I am actually surprised the difference isn't greater considering the ratio of PC users to Mac users is so great. But the simple fact that so many more people are using PC translates into more software being developed for PC.

What can PC do that Mac can't do though? I don't know. I've never owned a Mac. But it must be something, if there are that many more programs for PC.
Like I said before, the difference in the number of programs being created for mac and pc is due to the platforms that the OS is built on. Not everyone knows how to program code on linux or unix as easily as on a DOS based OS. I believe that once Apple has a nice share of the business market they will open up development for business software so that they can compete in the business market and eventually become even with Microsoft. Sure this will take a while but i think that's where it is headed.

You have to understand that we don't hate PC's as Ash stated before PC's can run other OS's. What I hate is Windows and all of the issues within it. I think when you use the word PC in a statement like "PC's are still prone to viruses" we are using PC as a short way of saying windows.

Now back to the original topic. The machine that the OP was talking about is not a terrible machine I just figured that maybe people here didn't know that mac made a machine that is capable of running Vista x64 for your games and at the same time was less expensive and has better specs than the PC being discussed. If you like PC fine and if you like Mac that's fine too. Just figure I would throw out another alternative.

@ESJ - If you can't discuss an issue without using stupid little comparisons with absolutely no facts, please keep the comments to yourself. And as far as design is concerned, if you really want to go there, Mac keeps the design clean and simple and PC's are over the top with crazy colors and shapes. It's called marketing.
loren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #37
Mustkill9

Send a message via AIM to Mustkill9

Mustkill9's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by loren83 View Post
Now back to the original topic. The machine that the OP was talking about is not a terrible machine I just figured that maybe people here didn't know that mac made a machine that is capable of running Vista x64 for your games and at the same time was less expensive and has better specs than the PC being discussed. If you like PC fine and if you like Mac that's fine too. Just figure I would throw out another alternative.
Just as long as everybody realizes that the "PC being discussed" is from a January 2008 article, and made by a guy who put what two posters called obsolete graphic cards, tons of useless extras, and $5000 worth of tech support. A much better PC than the one being discussed can be built for this money. Its an unfair comparison.

Last edited by Mustkill9; 09-11-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Mustkill9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #38
Sheeples

Quote:
Sorry but if I a going to spend almost $30,000 on a computer I'll take the Mac Pro. Here are the max specs.

Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32GB (8x4GB) RAM
Mac Pro RAID Card
(4) 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB
Two 16x SuperDrives
(2) Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + User's Guide
AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)
Quad Channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express Card
iWork '08 preinstalled
Final Cut Express preinstalled
Aperture preinstalled
Logic Express preinstalled

Total - $24,273

Run Boot Camp for Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and that machine will think Crysis is Pong.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but a Quadro won't be playing Crysis in anything higher than Medium without choppy FPS. They can just about be compared to the performance of a 8800GT. And since that's only a single one and the 30K build has 2x8800 Ultras which as mentioned prior are still pretty obsolete and crappy, but it'd still perform much better than your Mac build.

However if it was a competition for doing 3D Design, that's when the Quadro would make it's voice heard.

On the topic of security between Windows and Mac OS, Last year's pwn-2-own contest would be all I need to refer to, Safari was hacked in 2 minutes, giving the attacker full root access to the Macbook, which in comparison to Vista and the linux distro of choice was absolutely shocking.

Now before someone goes off on one calling me a rabid Windows fanboy, i'll clearly admit here that out of all of the major OS distributors Windows is the weakest. If it wasn't for the market share of Windows and compatibility with both games and apps i'm sure a lot of people wouldn't be using it. However for ease of use i'll just take a dual boot on my hard drive, Vista SP1 64-bit on one partition and my Linux distro of choice on the other, got Backtrack 3 on a USB stick as well. Using an Emu to run an OS just wouldn't be efficient.

Sorry for the wall of text ;D <3
Sheeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #39
ezekiel 08

ezekiel 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Gold   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi18 View Post
My new Dell will kick the crap out of your apple.
Dell? Are you serious? Please tell me you're not serious.... Oh God, I think you are! *runs like hell*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arCtiK AsSaSsIn View Post
Without having to even build my own computer
One of the best parts about building your own computer is that you know you've build it, not some Chinese guy in a sweatshop.

Quote:
I got a GeForce 8800, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 duo, 2GB Ram (runs like 4)
First up, how does 2GB RAM 'run like 4GB'? The more RAM you have doesn't mean the RAM itself will run faster. If you install 2GB or 24GB, it still runs at the same speed. The only way to make it run faster is by overclocking it.

Quote:
Most of the time, to get a better deal for money, you have yo build your own pc which is prone to viruses (especially to you torrenting whores) and much more.
How is building your own computer prone to viruses more so than a prebuilt? I much rather install the OS myself so it doesn't come cram packed with bloatware which itself is considered by many as a form of malware. Why would I want 10+ trial application installed when I don't want any of them? The first thing I did when I bought my laptop was completely wipe the HDD with 0's and then do a fresh install.

Anyone who is smart would not download from torrents. One word: Usenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
...And in 1 year, you'll have to upgrade the graphics card!
What is so bad about upgrading the graphics card? That's almost like saying "You have to buy the 360 to play Halo 3". Plus, why would you not want to upgrade the GPU when the next-gen cards come out ever few years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCB Disco View Post
Wow. Interesting.
Much unlike your post...

Quote:
This is obviously a quote from someone who has never owned a mac. If you owned one you would know that OSX is capable of things that Windows can't even dream of.
I have owned both but stick to PC's (not Apple's) as I enjoy building/upgrading/overclocking and any other acts that can be classed as 'enthusiast worthy'.

Just want to know, what can Mac's do that PC's can't? I find I can do much more tweaking/modding/anything on my Windows machine than I could ever do on my Mac.

Quote:
As far as viruses are concerned, people don't make viruses for mac because Apple doesn't release development tools to just anyone to build on OSX.
Yes, and those tools haven't been leaked and aren't all over the net...

Quote:
Also, Linux is much harder to program than DOS.
Who said anything about Linux? And Windows hasn't used DOS in a long time... Over 10 years in fact.[/QUOTE]

Completed Games [125] | Gamerscore Completion Rate [90.74%]

* retired gamerscore whore *

Last edited by ezekiel 08; 10-01-2009 at 12:29 PM.
ezekiel 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #40
phobzy85

Send a message via MSN to phobzy85

Phobzy85's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I use Mac os x leopard at work and seems better than my PC.

I prefer a PC but I still enjoy using Mac at work

That PC would be a beast. Prices are out lol

Last edited by phobzy85; 10-01-2009 at 12:40 PM.
phobzy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #41
Pez

Cheemosaurus's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Submit - Gold
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel 08 View Post
All of the post
Just so you know, this thread was just over a year old before you posted in it, and you didn't really contribute anything proactive apart from replying to things that didn't ask for a reply and didn't ask to be proved wrong...

Nice Gamerscore though!

Last edited by Pez; 10-01-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #42
VladimirK

VladimirK's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
I see.
PC World.

So the price in the real world will be closer to $10,000/$15,000?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice it was necroed till I looked up. And the guy has over 1,300 posts, shouldn't he know better?

Last edited by VladimirK; 10-01-2009 at 02:20 PM.
VladimirK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #43
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Well, now that it's been bumped anyway I'd just like to say all you Mac vs Windows people are stupid. Dual boot Windows 7 and OS X (which I'll have done in a few days when I get 7) and get the best of both worlds.
dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #44
boblosanchez

xl SeksNinja lx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1n3t33nd3lta View Post
Ahhh, way overpriced, just like alienware. I built one on alienware's website and it'd cost me about 1/2 as much to build it myself as it would on there, with the same exact parts.
I did the same thing just 'cus I was curious, and I would build it myself but I'm no good at building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3R3L3CT View Post
If anyone posts a Jonas Brother I'm gonna puke out my internal organs.
Currently Looking for Boosts In:
Street Fighter x Tekken
Halo: Reach
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Ascension)
boblosanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #45
My Gamertag is Papa Skull
Banned User

Papa Skull's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Where's the picture for it? I want to see how tight it looks. I think 30 grand for a computer is pathetic too. I mean, why would you want to spend that much on just one computer? I'd rather buy a normal computer with a good connection for about $1500 and save the $28,500 for a sweet corvette with nice rims or something like that.

By the way, how are you allowed to participate in the contest?
My Gamertag is Papa Skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #46
dudecrazy108

dudecrazy108's Gamercard
Good things although almost everything is overpriced.

trueachievements.com
gamerc.net
dudecrazy108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #47
jimi_stephen

jimistephen's Gamercard
could you imagine running something like puppy linux which is like 96MB total?

jimi_stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #48
Blue Radium

Blue Radium's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Gold   1,000 Posts   Road Map - Gold
To (sadly enough) contribute to the topic at hand-
Question: Does it matter if Macs or PCs are better? Another question: does anyone ever get convinced to change sides in a fanboy argument? I'll make it easy for you; the answer to both questions is no.

That PC would be a dream, no doubt. It would keep you gaming at high detail no matter what game you played for at least 3 years.

Blue Radium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #49
Phydeaux

Send a message via AIM to Phydeaux Send a message via MSN to Phydeaux Send a message via Yahoo to Phydeaux

XBD Phydeaux's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSpilly View Post
Miscellaneous

Labor for building and troubleshooting -- 100 hrs at $50/hr - $5,000.

Are they being serious?
What, you think you just slap the parts together and expect it to work?

Well, sure, sometimes. But if you're making a promise on a prize worth 25k to be a usable piece of machinery, you've got to work some labor in there.
Phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #50
Phydeaux

Send a message via AIM to Phydeaux Send a message via MSN to Phydeaux Send a message via Yahoo to Phydeaux

XBD Phydeaux's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESJ is Shiznit View Post
People who use MACs are some of the most trendy lil pieces of turd. Get a PC and then get a MAC. put them side by side and then look at how gay the MAC looks. What you will witness next is the best part. The MAC will actually start to weep little iTears and start to iPee all over itself. Did you guys think it was a coincidence that they name their OS's after cats? They should call the next OS a 5 letter word that starts with P and ends with a Y. G37 PWN3D N/B M@C U$3R$
Please tell me this is someone trying to be funny.

You've got a board full of people who come from IT backgrounds here, man.

All machines are tools for a job.

Just because you only use yours to play games, look at porn and troll on the internet doesn't mean that we're not making your reality possible.

Macs are appropriate for some jobs, PCs are appropriate for others.

Let's be honest with ourselves though. Desktop publishing and the subsequent web development industry (yeah, World Wide Web, not "internet", I know.) wouldn't be a reality without the creative professionals that used the Mac exclusively.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #51
Jethrow

Jethrow Mulisha's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Those prices are so up the ass its not even funny. But if some retard out there is willing to pay 5000 grand labor to build a gynormously overpriced piece of shit. . . . . well cutos to him for finding a way to squeeze money out of a retard.

People, this is just silly bullshit, i mean really. . . . . .. .$4,000 for a fucking monitor lol lol, jokes!

Last edited by Jethrow; 10-04-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Jethrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #52
Tufty

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSpilly View Post
Miscellaneous

• Labor for building and troubleshooting -- 100 hrs at $50/hr - $5,000.

Are they being serious?
Ha ha yeh I think they are. When I saw the title for this I was expecting some sort of joke. Possiably a Gateway with diamond casing.

Last edited by Tufty; 10-04-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #53
radar616

Send a message via MSN to radar616

Radar616's Gamercard
8800GT's in SLI? Why not 5870 in Crossfire or even a GTX295? On the topic of windows vs mac. OSX run better but windows is cheaper thus Windows wins.

radar616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #54
ezekiel 08

ezekiel 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Gold   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar616 View Post
8800GT's in SLI? Why not 5870 in Crossfire or even a GTX295? On the topic of windows vs mac. OSX run better but windows is cheaper thus Windows wins.
Or why not two GTX 295's in SLI . Or four GTX 285's in SLI using the EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI?

Yes please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Just so you know, this thread was just over a year old before you posted in it, and you didn't really contribute anything proactive apart from replying to things that didn't ask for a reply and didn't ask to be proved wrong...
Sure it was old but I did know that before I posted as I still made many valid points. This thread is still worth discussing as the parts mentioned aren't that old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Nice Gamerscore though!
My completion rate is more impressive you'll find .

Completed Games [125] | Gamerscore Completion Rate [90.74%]

* retired gamerscore whore *

Last edited by ezekiel 08; 10-05-2009 at 03:29 PM.
ezekiel 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #55
Phydeaux

XBD Phydeaux's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar616 View Post
On the topic of windows vs mac. OSX run better but windows is cheaper thus Windows wins.
I can also open cans of soup with a $3 screwdriver, but why bother when I can use an electric can opener. It may be "3 times the price!" but the it's worth the value to me.

Look, I know there may have been some Mac, ahem, maggotry in this thread, but I've been using Apple equipment for on and off two decades now. Regardless of what anyone thinks or says, on the backend they DO propel the industry in the areas of Research and Development. You don't have to look further than Firewire and the undisputed proliferation of USB as a standard interface for peripherals to know and understand that (before some guy comes in here and goes "blah blah there's no way the Mac was the first with USB-" I have to point out that up until that time everyone else in the industry was clutching onto legacy ports and legacy storage devices thinking that it was what the customer wanted/needed, whereas by going all USB, it forced a paradigm shift in the manufacturing industry and everyone started following suit, even after CEOs of the competitors at the time bad-mouthed the decisions before changing their tune about six months later).

So you don't want/can't afford/don't have a job that needs a Mac. Wonderful! Let's leave alone those that do and only call bullshit on the individual people that make ridiculous claims.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #56
Spanky4G63

Send a message via AIM to Spanky4G63

Spanky4G63's Gamercard
My pc runs four differen't os' Vista 64, Win. 7, Ubuntu, and Snow Leopard Best of all the worlds lol.

Last edited by Spanky4G63; 10-08-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: whoops I meant 4
Spanky4G63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #57
VladimirK

VladimirK's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
So you don't want/can't afford/don't have a job that needs a Mac. Wonderful! Let's leave alone those that do and only call bullshit on the individual people that make ridiculous claims.

I just want to say something about this.

See, a lot of people would.
But Mac owners tend to always want to shove the fact that they own a Mac in peoples faces and talk about how great and easy to use and how well everything works in a discussion.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #58
jennydick

Nice discussion. I gathered lot information from this post. Thanks for sharing with us.
jennydick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #59
Barad
Back from Dubai!

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
that is some super computer! lol

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #60
Phydeaux

XBD Phydeaux's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirK View Post
I just want to say something about this.

See, a lot of people would.
But Mac owners tend to always want to shove the fact that they own a Mac in peoples faces and talk about how great and easy to use and how well everything works in a discussion.
See, those people are usually 10. They're not limited to Macs. They've apparently got a horse in every race.