PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Borderlands
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Chrushev
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 114
For those that dont get the ending.. here is explanation **SPOILER**

I saw at least a couple people mention that they dont really "get it" when it comes to the ending of the game.

HERE COMES THE SPOILER OF THE ENDING!!!
|
|
|
|
Quote:
You are guided by the "mysterious voice" throughout the game. In the end it is revealed to be a program, that is embedded into the satellite orbiting the planet.

Every 200 years it chooses a random person that it believes can make it to prevent the Vault's inevitable opening.

The vault indeed has weapons, the weapon is a HUGE creature from another dimension that if let out would destroy the planet and possibly the universe.

So, once you defeat the creature's form in this realm (which is vulnerable as explained in the cut-scene.) It get pushed back and the vault closes for 200 years.

In another 200 years the same cycle will happen.

The program will chose another 'destined one' to march to the vault, and make sure the creature doesn't get out... and the cycle goes on and on and on...
Chrushev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
judogrrl
 
judogrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Napa, California
Posts: 162

judogrrl's Gamercard
OK I get it...i still really like the game, however the ending seemed rather...abrupt
judogrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Andreas_loel
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,433

mr fiskeh's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
That makes bad story good! or no it doesnt ><
__________________
GT: Mr Fiskeh

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoggson
Andreas_loel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
phatmuther
 
phatmuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 673

phatmuther's Gamercard

Awards Showcase A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
So why fucking have someone set out to find the key every 200 years? Just get the key, destroy it, end of.

Bad storyline, fun game.
__________________


How do you pronounce 'either'? I say 'either', but some say 'either'. Either is correct.

phatmuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
FlipSwitch
 
FlipSwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,101

ZERO7896's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
It's because the Destroyer will escape the confines of the vault, and the Adventurer needs to get the key so they can go in there and stop that from happening. I believe the idea is once the creature gets out of the vault we are all screwed.
__________________
Are you Star Trekking?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_fpspCq2c
FlipSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
neok182
 
neok182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,768

neok182's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
also the same shit probably happens every 200 years. Some dumbass gets the key and tries to open it not knowing whats going to happen.

Only thing that sucked about the ending was that they didn't explain it good enough in the game.

That and me and my friend took the thing down in about 30 seconds with our rocket launchers. yay for orange weapons that fire 15 rockets at the same time lol.
__________________


NO RANDOM XBL FRIEND REQUESTS PLEASE
neok182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
phatmuther
 
phatmuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 673

phatmuther's Gamercard

Awards Showcase A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSwitch View Post
It's because the Destroyer will escape the confines of the vault, and the Adventurer needs to get the key so they can go in there and stop that from happening. I believe the idea is once the creature gets out of the vault we are all screwed.
But he only comes out when the vault is opened with the key. So why not destroy the key? Just doesn't make any sense.
__________________


How do you pronounce 'either'? I say 'either', but some say 'either'. Either is correct.

phatmuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
elephantd
 
elephantd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,433

frizzzlecake107's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
What I didn't like about the ending is there wasen't enough good loot! I kiled that big mofo and all i got was a couple pointless weapons. FUCK that! I wanted millions of dollars and guns that acutally did something!><

But nontheless I'am loving this game, can't wait for DLC.
__________________
The Race is on.


RIP FRIZZLECAKE107
Looking to boost: RSV2(My hero!) Gears of war 1(anything)
elephantd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
a blind beggar
 
a blind beggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,085

a blind beggar's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmuther View Post
But he only comes out when the vault is opened with the key. So why not destroy the key? Just doesn't make any sense.
probably because the monster could break out but you couldn't break in.does that make sense?like you could go in and destroy him instead of waiting for him to break out.that's the only thing that makes sense i can think of.
__________________
"George, which do you prefer, mustard or hot sauce?"
a blind beggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
Chrushev
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmuther View Post
So why fucking have someone set out to find the key every 200 years? Just get the key, destroy it, end of.

Bad storyline, fun game.
There could be a ton of reasons... just a couple off top of my head:

1) People are too greedy to destroy something that could be very valuable
2) Its made of something indestructable? lol I mean it was broken into pieces remember? You had to collect (I think it was 4 pieces).. before you could use the key. So perhaps someone has tried?
3) If they destroyed it they wouldnt be able to make a sequel.. or DLC. or something.
Chrushev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
phatmuther
 
phatmuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 673

phatmuther's Gamercard

Awards Showcase A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Well this game, and many other's storylines are like Swiss cheese. Full of holes
__________________


How do you pronounce 'either'? I say 'either', but some say 'either'. Either is correct.

phatmuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
Snipper CTP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12

Snip CTP's Gamercard
I took it like this:

The 'Key' was intentionally broken up into pieces, forcing a single person or group to travel all over Hell's half-acre killing monsters and getting stronger and stronger so that when it came down to it, they could handle fighting the Destroyer.
Snipper CTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
itsbulmer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 95

itsbulmer's Gamercard
Theres got to be way more to that.
itsbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
Kira Panic
 
Kira Panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 246

E R i S E Dx's Gamercard
Now it makes so much more sense.
I couldn't hear half the time through some character interactions cause it was so loud in my house.
__________________
Kira Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:34 AM   #15
Drunky The Dave
 
Drunky The Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 33

Drunky The Dave's Gamercard
i got something different from the ending. I thought the satellite, and corresponding clap trap, was a rival company to ATLAS using you to stop them from getting the upper hand. The humor and atmosphere don't really go with the whole saving the world hero thing. Just my opinion about that.
__________________

Drunky The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 AM   #16
FrankMcClane
 
FrankMcClane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perryville, MD
Posts: 55
Send a message via AIM to FrankMcClane

InteligentMoron's Gamercard
Good game, shitty storyline. I expected so much more and yes I agree with the loot problem. On my kill I didn't even receive a purple and got one blue.
__________________


30,000 -- June 7, 2010

FrankMcClane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:03 AM   #17
Tj1zzle
 
Tj1zzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 196
yea story and ending gets a big fail in my book

i took the last boss down easier than most of the badass bruisers in the game lol
__________________


PM ME FOR U.S. XBOX 360 REPAIRS AND FLASHING INQUIRIES. Have Your Xbox 360 Serviced, Cheap and professional.

i will be more than happy to conduct all transactions through ebay upon request.

I AM LOOKING FOR XBOXES PRE 09 SUMMER UPDATE (old dash, or 7371 nxe dash).
BROKEN OR WORKING!!! PLEASE PM IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SOME $$$$$!!!!

Tj1zzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
TheOnlyDogMan
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 292

TenaciousDogMan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Wait, are you saying the satellite was put their by the vault building aliens? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but it looked more like the human technology in the game than the rarely seen alien technology. I assumed the lady was an alien, and that the satellite was how she was tracking you, but I thought she was either alive or a guardian-like ghost hacking into the satellite. Where did you get that she was a program? The aliens left long before the humans arrived, so how would a program get onto the human satellite?

Also, I thought that the vault had remained closed on the previous opening dates, and once you destroyed the monster it was gone for good. It could potentially be opened every 200 years but it wasn't. The point of the lady guiding you there was that she finally found someone who was alive at the right time and capable of killing it, so she sent you there to destroy it and remove the threat once and for all.
In that scenario having her get you to gather the keys and open the vault makes a lot more sense. She's doing it because she knows eventually someone will figure it out and open it, and she figures it might as well happen on her terms (when there will be someone capable of fighting it nearby).

This only leaves the reason for creating a prison/gateway that can be opened rather than just destroying the monster and/or permanently closing the vault. I can only guess that the aliens couldn't destroy the monster but also saw a potential situation where opening it was a good idea, but because of how dangerous it was they kept it on a timer (perhaps the other dimension has something they want/need, so they were waiting until their technology was strong enough to defeat it). After they died out/left the galaxy/whatever, they left the guardians to mind the vault. When humans landed and started poking around it became clear the situation needed to be resolved or else they would poke around and accidentally release the monster, and as luck would have it, you showed up.

If your scenario comes from an official source then I'll accept it, but if its just a fan theory I think we can work out most of the kinks.

Last edited by TheOnlyDogMan; 10-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.
TheOnlyDogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
G315T
 
G315T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 742

G315T's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The satellite was most certainly of human origin. If you watch, not only is it a classic human satellite design =p... but along with the "Guardian Angel" logo on the side it says, "HYPERION" in big letters on the side. Hyperion being one of the weapon manufacturers in the game.

That really begs the question as to how long humans have been messing around on Pandora. Clearly the Eridians and their ruins preceded human settlement, but the guardian angel and her statements are man-made.

TBH I think trying to make sense of it is pointless, the story was too thinly presented for us to have any idea what was going on. Every side quest was just filler and didn't add anything to the main story line. I suppose you could argue Tannis journal collection quests added to the main story, but she doesn't add anything of substance.

I feel like the game was very rushed after the salt flats area. It's like they got through that part and went, "Hmm.. we need to end this." It's like they started out with the first 3/4 of a weak story to drive game play and didn't know how to end it. Somebody at the monday morning design meeting comes in after a weekend of drugs and depravity and goes, "Hentai monster.", and that's what we end up with. =p
__________________


Quid quid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Killing with a vehicle mounted gun is nothing, doing it while airborne is impressive, but upside down while airborne? F***, THAT's an achievement!
G315T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #20
The Mad Ronin
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by G315T View Post
I feel like the game was very rushed after the salt flats area. It's like they got through that part and went, "Hmm.. we need to end this." It's like they started out with the first 3/4 of a weak story to drive game play and didn't know how to end it. Somebody at the monday morning design meeting comes in after a weekend of drugs and depravity and goes, "Hentai monster.", and that's what we end up with. =p
Now that explanation gets my vote!
The Mad Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #21
NinjaSquirrel85
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by G315T View Post
Somebody at the monday morning design meeting comes in after a weekend of drugs and depravity and goes, "Hentai monster.", and that's what we end up with. =p
I love this forum. I ought to bake you cookies.


But yeah, that Hyperion Logo...assuming then that the Guardian Angel is human, or of human design, why on earth would the big-wig gun companies leave it to just 1-4 treasure-seeking schmucks to stop a near-immortal evil weapon thing? I mean, we (the players) are badass, but I have to assume that 150 or so Crimson lance could've dropped it just as fine.

There ARE bigger plot holes, I guess.
NinjaSquirrel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #22
zI RAGE Iz
 
zI RAGE Iz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 244

zI RAGE Iz's Gamercard
I think the "HYPERION" logo and the CL4P-TP turning evil at the end clearly shows that it is a plot by a huge corporation. I'm betting that the monster isn't the weapon, but it's just protecting the technology inside the Vault. The company is using you to gain access and then will backstab you and steal the technology in a sequel/DLC.

ALso, big props on the 'hentai monster' comment. Haha.
zI RAGE Iz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
Ionus
 
Ionus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medford, Oregon
Posts: 321

Nezron's Gamercard
I don't care why the monster was there, but I do care that I didn't get jack for killing it !!!

I am a Merc, gun for hire. You need big ugly monster killed, well no problem.... BUT I WANT PAYMENT !!!



story was stupid...
game is pretty fun...
Ionus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #24
judogrrl
 
judogrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Napa, California
Posts: 162

judogrrl's Gamercard
I just like how in the beginning the holograph lady asks you "would you kindly" like in Bioshock. Now, if they would have kept that up it would have been cool!
judogrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
G315T
 
G315T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 742

G315T's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Hahaha I thought the same thing, "Omg who do you think you are, Fontaine?"
__________________


Quid quid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Killing with a vehicle mounted gun is nothing, doing it while airborne is impressive, but upside down while airborne? F***, THAT's an achievement!
G315T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #26
hgroce15
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 137

flipflipadelfia's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky The Dave View Post
i got something different from the ending. I thought the satellite, and corresponding clap trap, was a rival company to ATLAS using you to stop them from getting the upper hand. The humor and atmosphere don't really go with the whole saving the world hero thing. Just my opinion about that.
I hadn't thought of it from that point of view. Makes sense as much as anything else
__________________
hgroce15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #27
Chrushev
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyDogMan View Post
Wait, are you saying the satellite was put their by the vault building aliens? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but it looked more like the human technology in the game than the rarely seen alien technology. I assumed the lady was an alien, and that the satellite was how she was tracking you, but I thought she was either alive or a guardian-like ghost hacking into the satellite. Where did you get that she was a program? The aliens left long before the humans arrived, so how would a program get onto the human satellite?

Also, I thought that the vault had remained closed on the previous opening dates, and once you destroyed the monster it was gone for good. It could potentially be opened every 200 years but it wasn't. The point of the lady guiding you there was that she finally found someone who was alive at the right time and capable of killing it, so she sent you there to destroy it and remove the threat once and for all.
In that scenario having her get you to gather the keys and open the vault makes a lot more sense. She's doing it because she knows eventually someone will figure it out and open it, and she figures it might as well happen on her terms (when there will be someone capable of fighting it nearby).

This only leaves the reason for creating a prison/gateway that can be opened rather than just destroying the monster and/or permanently closing the vault. I can only guess that the aliens couldn't destroy the monster but also saw a potential situation where opening it was a good idea, but because of how dangerous it was they kept it on a timer (perhaps the other dimension has something they want/need, so they were waiting until their technology was strong enough to defeat it). After they died out/left the galaxy/whatever, they left the guardians to mind the vault. When humans landed and started poking around it became clear the situation needed to be resolved or else they would poke around and accidentally release the monster, and as luck would have it, you showed up.

If your scenario comes from an official source then I'll accept it, but if its just a fan theory I think we can work out most of the kinks.
No the satellite was put there by someone who knew the secrets of the vault... for example, someone who opened it 200 years ago.. and wanted to make sure that in 200 years when someone else opens it the creature is stopped.

The vault has definatelly been opened before and it will be opened again. It says so after you defeat the monster. She says that in 200 years the vault will be opened again.

And when you fight the monster from the vault she explains that the creature can not be killed in its realm, when it enters into our realm it is vulnerable.

I assume that when you kill it... you dont actually "kill" it... you just push it back and close the gate behind it for another 200 years, because there is never a body, it goes back in.

And the creature IS the weapon, the treasure... there is nothing else in the vault.. otherwise after you defeat it, you could go in and get the treasure from the actual vault. Why would you defeat the guardian and not get the actual treasure? And why would you close the gate so fast and suddenly if there is stuff inside and the thing that was guarding it is dead?

Who says the vault was even built by the aliens? It could be just a black hole to another dimension... aliens at one time inhabited the planet, but possibly left because of the danger of the vault.. or perhaps they couldn't defeat the creature and it killed them all? There are many theories on this...

Most of this other stuff is explained in the cut scenes/quests. Some of it is assumed from those explanations.

PS -the following is my train of thought: Who gets the treasure? The fittest right? Its always a big brawl between people/factions etc.. and in the end the fittest gets the treasure, the most powerful one(s). So, by creating a legend of a tresure creates a conflict, with people racing to be the best to get it... this makes sure that the person that actually gets to it IS the best... who is powerful enough to open the vault and stop the creature... to do the task that has to be completed every 200 years.

Last edited by Chrushev; 10-29-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Chrushev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #28
Phyrd
 
Phyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 155
Send a message via AIM to Phyrd

Phyrd's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogrrl View Post
I just like how in the beginning the holograph lady asks you "would you kindly" like in Bioshock. Now, if they would have kept that up it would have been cool!
I thought the same thing.
__________________
GT - Phyrd


ADD ME FOR BOOSTING THE FOLLOWING


Culdcept Saga - Online Matches
Sacred 2 - Anything, I suck at it!
Bioshock 2 - lvl 50, currently 36
MK vs DC Universe - All MP
Phyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #29
xxevilgremlinxx
 
xxevilgremlinxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 51

xxevilgremlinxx's Gamercard
This is definitly th worst videogame ending ever bad enough there isn't a story to the game except "get to the vault, got to open the vault" and when you open it, there's nothing in it but some giant hentai vagina monster and after killing the stupid thing you don't even get to go and the damn vault that you heard about for the last 20 hours, freaking monster didn't even drop anything that was worth picking up. worst ending ever
xxevilgremlinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #30
yeadude
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 11
Send a message via AIM to yeadude

yeadude's Gamercard
this is just another shitty game with a shitty ending not the worst but very close I fuckin raped this game through all the bs glitched enimies and now am breezing through second playthrough maybe a third will keep me awake the only decent part was the first couple hours loved me the dancing walle/gir robots and momma jokes + the guy had 3 balls why didnt this humor continue at least to keep my attention THIS GAME IS MEH AT BEST!
Ps: worst ending of a game in recent years would have to be fable 2 suck it lionhead
yeadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 AM.