PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Rainbow Islands: Towering Adventure
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
[Waggly Bean]

Waggly Bean's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Is this the same game as the Wii Ware title?

As the title says - is this a straight across port of the WiiWare title? I assume it is. If so, it got bad reviews pretty much across the board. So what does everyone think on this game?

I'm still going to have to try it because:
1.) I love Rainbow Islands (and Taito in general!)
and
2.) I actually think it looks pretty good!

Check out the trailer:

Looks like it's co-op too, which is always a plus. Just hope it's Live co-op not just local like Bubble Bobble.

Last edited by [Waggly Bean]; 09-17-2009 at 10:28 PM.
[Waggly Bean] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
F Swan

Ferocious Swan's Gamercard
Oh well I don't like the look of that at all ... what happend to the cutsey looking Bub and Bob characters?
F Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Katzii_Yataki

Katzii's Gamercard
It looks to be the same as the Wiiware version, and as such, this reply will be based on that assumption.

Basically, as a Rainbow Islands fanatic, I will say that Towering Adventure isn't quite the terrible game everyone says it is, but it's not exactly a fantastic game, either. I'd say a little above average; probably a 6.5/10, if I were to stick a numerical rating on it. Fun, but not exactly great. The visuals are nice, although obviously have lost the charm of the original.

It's kind of like the "Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts" argument to me; if you can play the game without constantly comparing it to the original and saying how it isn't the original, then it's quite an enjoyable, if very difficult, title. If you're the type who, at every turn, says "this isn't Rainbow Islands", and would chastise it for that reason alone, it's probably not your sort of game.

And yes, to answer the question, it is a co-op title, which I hope gets the XBL treatment. Bubble Bobble lost a sale to me because of that issue.

Hope some of that helps! At the very least, try the demo to see what you think.
Katzii_Yataki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
ColdMolasses

coldmolasses's Gamercard
Sweet, I was wondering what this game was like (wasn't around the xbox to try it). Thanks for the mini-review Katzii_Yataki, ill def. try it out.

ColdMolasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
MC Kazoo

MC Kazoo's Gamercard
I'm with Waggly. I love Taito stuff (fan of the original) and it looks cool. Plus, seems to be an easy 200 GS.

And the demo shows an option for Xbox live matches unlike Bubble Bobble Neo.....

Looking for Otaku friends on XBL!
-_-R.I.P. mygamercard.net 2005-2011-_-

3DS FC: 0130-1836-9252
MC Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
[Waggly Bean]

Waggly Bean's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Kazoo View Post
I'm with Waggly. I love Taito stuff (fan of the original) and it looks cool. Plus, seems to be an easy 200 GS.

And the demo shows an option for Xbox live matches unlike Bubble Bobble Neo.....
Well, I tried the demo, and I think I like it. Sure it's not a patch on the original, but then I never expected it to be. Shame they didn't throw the original game in as well though... maybe as an unlockable or something.

But I'm unsure about the XBox Live.... from the description when you exit the demo, it suggests it's head-to-head multiplayer over Live. What I want to know is if you can co-op the main story mode over Live! I'm betting that the answer is no tbh...

Can anyone confirm?

[Waggly Bean] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
litepink

litepink's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Submit - Platinum   Referrals - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
sadly, you can't play co-op over Live. However, the co-op is frustrating because your constantly waiting for or catching up to you partner. You get penalized 10 secs if you go off screen.

I still highly recommend the game.
litepink is offline   Reply With Quote