Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Halo 3: ODST
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Telekiller7

Telekiller5's Gamercard
elites

when i was searching for audio files i came across an alley where i saw 3 dead elites, which is surprising itself, but then i thought, why arent elites enemies? this takes place during halo 2 doesnt it? before they broke away from the covanent? actually, i think in halo 2, the level in this city before the ship jumped there was still elites as enemies, but i dont recall any brutes there. thoughts

I got my high GS thanks to www.Gamefly.com, you should too! (I WISH this was a paid advertisement )
Telekiller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Kaiyo

KaiyoOrganiz000's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The elites in Halo 3: ODST are all dead and that the H3 engine interprets them as allies.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Reggiez

Reggiez's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver
I just found the same alley close to one of the store rooms if I don't remember it wrong. Though it was a little funny seeing them lie there dead without any trace of enemy casualties.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Unterofficer

Unterofficer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
There are dead elites in many places at the game. But anyway, yeah you are right. Elites should be enemies at the time that ODST takes place, but Bungie explained, that Truth had send a second fleet of Covenants to Earth with Brutes in charge, and orders to kill all Elites. So in english: "we were lazy, and made up a bogus explenation to some small problem.".

Yeah the problem is reusing Halo 3 engine without tinkering with Elites.

14 completed games. 7 retail, 7 arcade.
Unterofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
Kaiyo

KaiyoOrganiz000's Gamercard

Too bad we didn't get to fight any elites(multiplayer ones not included) in H3: ODST.
Well Halo: Reach should not have such problems as Elites are gonna be back as enemies and it uses a different engine.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Reggiez

Reggiez's Gamercard

Yes the elites were sorely missed (by me at least) in ODST. After looking at the Reach trailer yesterday I however feel confident that they will be back stronger than ever in this upcoming game. Which looks really nice from the bits I've seen so far.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
balance13

balance13's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
It takes place before Halo 3 not halo 2

Hence it's called Halo 3 : ODST
balance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Son of Kyuss

Son of Kyuss's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Except that still doesn't make sense considering you're dropped into New Mombasa right as the Prophet of Regret's carrier goes into slipspace and heads to Delta Halo, thus it's still during the Halo 2 time period. If you were talking about the Coastal Highway and onwards then yes those events occurred prior to Halo 3.

The only reason why it's called Halo 3: ODST is because it's based off of the Halo 3 engine.

Last edited by Son of Kyuss; 12-20-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Son of Kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
nappster187

Nappster187's Gamercard
It takes place like 2 weeks early than the beginning of Halo 3.... IT wasn't a prequel at all.... So they would be allies....but ODST is about the Rookie and his group of ODST, so we wouldn't be against them, or playing with them...

Completed Retail & DLC: 28
latest: Madden NFL 25(xb1 & 360)

Completed Arcade: 7
Latest: Uno Rush
nappster187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
crazy W01f 816

crazy W01F 816's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unterofficer View Post
There are dead elites in many places at the game. But anyway, yeah you are right. Elites should be enemies at the time that ODST takes place, but Bungie explained, that Truth had send a second fleet of Covenants to Earth with Brutes in charge, and orders to kill all Elites. So in english: "we were lazy, and made up a bogus explenation to some small problem.".

Yeah the problem is reusing Halo 3 engine without tinkering with Elites.
They aren't lazy, this actually happened in Halo 2. The prophets decided to cut the elites out of the covenant because they had let the humans destroy one of the halos. After that the brutes took over as the prophets new body guards and main attack force. That is why you don't fight elites in ODST, not becuase of lazy developers.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Keywork Groover

Keywork Groover's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyo View Post
The elites in Halo 3: ODST are all dead and that the H3 engine interprets them as allies.
I seriously think the engine can handle a simple enemy/ally flag to any character.

I'm Retired...

...For Now.
Keywork Groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
McKaystyles

McKaystyles's Gamercard
In halo 2 the city wasn’t getting glassed yet… in odst the city it literally hours from being glassed… so time has passed… I wish I knew to get all the audio logs before the data hive mission… anywho… did anyone notice in the final stand that romeo says “ its true! The brutes are a lot more fun to fight than the elites!”… I beat it last night on legendary alone… I was cracking up!

McKaystyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Unterofficer

Unterofficer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy W01f 816 View Post
They aren't lazy, this actually happened in Halo 2. The prophets decided to cut the elites out of the covenant because they had let the humans destroy one of the halos. After that the brutes took over as the prophets new body guards and main attack force. That is why you don't fight elites in ODST, not becuase of lazy developers.
Brutes started to replace Elites only after Elites failed to save Regret, and this happened a week after the battle of New Mombasa. And the enmity between Elites, and Brutes only flared up to war after the transition, and only then was Covenant broken down, so the lack of Elites in ODST is because Bungie was lazy.

14 completed games. 7 retail, 7 arcade.
Unterofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #14
iNiko

N1ko oGn's Gamercard
First time I saw the dead Elites I was confused and surprised.
iNiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
awesomepizza

Send a message via Yahoo to awesomepizza

AwesomePizza's Gamercard
No, it is too early for this to have happened here. At least, they should still be fighting. And it is especially too early for the Flashbacks for there to be Brutes. You should be fighting the remains of the first attack fleet.

Yea, it's lazy. Yes, it doesn't make sense. You can toss out any explanation you want, and it is just making an excuse. There should be elites all over the city.
awesomepizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #16
Reggiez

Reggiez's Gamercard

Just played the mission "Tayari Plaza" again today and I ran into a line of dialogue I hadn't heard playing through before. Basically Buck will start asking captain Dare about some bodies of elites he (you) can find under a bridge fairly early on in the mission.

It was something along the lines of "found some dead elites and it looks as if they have been killed by brutes. Could it be a family fight?" or something like that. Captain Dare simply answers that the information is classified. So I guess they took the easy way out by saying it is classified? By doing that they don't have to give you any more explanations about why the elites are absent or dead.

I still miss them though.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #17
ethanl2k7

Ethanl2k7's Gamercard
doesnt anyone listen to Buck "musta been a family fued or something" he says something close to that in the first level of the GAME!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP George M. Steibrenner III owner of the world renowned baseball team of the Bronx.
ethanl2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #18
Reggiez

Reggiez's Gamercard

That sounds quite a lot like the piece of dialogue I just mentioned in the post right above yours. If it isn't it means that Buck mentions it several times throughout the game. Either way it would have been nice to get to know a little bit more about how the elites ended up dead (without anyone actually noticing them fighting).

I suppose I could just play Halo 2 (if that is the game with that information?) to learn a bit more about all this.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #19
Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyo View Post
Oh, snap son!

"Everyone is entitled to their own sorrow, for the
heart has no metrics or form of measure. And all of
it... irreplaceable."

Thanks to Rajeanero for the excellent signature!
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote