Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
rvlution

H0B0 Santiago's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Valentine's Day... Ugh

I know this is a little early but in a couple of weeks all of us single men and women will have to endure that dreadful day. Let's confide in each other and combat this wretch of a holiday lol. I know with pretty good confidence that the only thing I'm getting action from is my Xbox haha.
rvlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
Psycho Chickan

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho Chickan Send a message via MSN to Psycho Chickan Send a message via Skype™ to Psycho Chickan

Chickan117's Gamercard
Maybe you should move to Australia! It's pretty much a non event over here. Nothing like I see on American TV.

I know it's not exactly what your topic was for but why is it dreadful where you are? What do people, shops, places do?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
Xerofox
were given today

Xerofox's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Artist of the Month   Staff Club - Xerofox   SOTF Winner   Staff - Graphics Team   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I like Valentine's Day, it's the only day of the year I send e-cards to all of my girlfriends.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
Captain Fantasm

Captain Fantasm's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerofox View Post
I like Valentine's Day, it's the only day of the year I send e-cards to all of my girlfriends.
I hope you were joking, because I'm laughing

Cheers Zippy 101, yeah?
Captain Fantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #5
Massa Siggy

Saint Sigmund's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chickan View Post
I know it's not exactly what your topic was for but why is it dreadful where you are? What do people, shops, places do?
Like the OP, I live in the southeast US, so I assume our situations are similar, as they're probably the same in the whole US. We get advertising shoved down our throats so much that if you're single, you're thankful you are, and if you're in a relationship, you're made out to feel like a misogynist if you don't shell out $200 for a box of Godiva chocolate with a diamond necklace tied to it.

Long live American consumerism!

Credit to Spazaz Man for the sweet sig
Massa Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
Absolutionz

Acclaimed I's Gamercard
Agreed. Even when I've been in relationships for this "holiday", I've still never really liked it or seen the point. I think it's a pretty trivial and pointless occasion. If you love somebody, I feel like you don't need a special day to overly express it - it should be expressed every day.

Absolutionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
Smashing Impacts

lsm warrior's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I have told my girlfriend that I will be buying her nothing on Valentine's Day. It is probably the worst celebrated event in the calendar. You buy cards and presents for someone you love that cost thrice the price than any other time of year just because the day has a name?! I simply refuse to pay 200% the price to go to a restaurant when I can go the day before and pay less.

I may sound miserable with this post, but it disgusts me.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
Euvel

Zendo0's Gamercard
Here is what I think of Valentine's Day.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
elephantd

frizzzlecake107's Gamercard

I hate v-day, girls never get me what i want and i have to pretend to like it.:/ No matter how many hints you can give, they always come up short.

RIP FRIZZLECAKE107
Looking to boost: RSV2(My hero!) Gears of war 1(anything)
elephantd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
What's to dread? It's just a regular day for me.
dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
Psycho Chickan

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho Chickan Send a message via MSN to Psycho Chickan Send a message via Skype™ to Psycho Chickan

Chickan117's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerofox View Post
Yeah that's a good point. Whilst we don't do much in Australia I do send e-cards to all of your girlfriends too....hope we don't double up or one of them might notice

On a more serious side I like the idea of having a day to take the time to tell my wife I love her. We're not overly "lovey dovey" and the kids and work occupy most of our day time so it's nice once a year to do soemthing just for us. Plus we got married on the 8th of Feb so I'm a lucky guy who can combine them both into one

@ Money Related Posts. I agree with you 100%. I hate the way restaurants and particular gifts jack up the prices on various holidays. Never really paid attention before but we normally do something on an adjoining day just to avoid the price hike so... yeah.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
Pootcrum

Pootcrum's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euvel View Post
Here is what I think of Valentine's Day.
That was messed up.

Hopefully the gf isnt expecting anything this year, because I dont have the cash, and Im generally apathetic towards the whole thing anyway.

Pootcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #13
Sizzlebuzz

I agree, that was pretty wrong.

Anyway, I don't ever even notice Valentine's day. It's just another day. I'd like it more if I had got a day off school for it.

GHWT: Legit Bling Bling achievement .
Sizzlebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #14
Boo47

BOO47's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantd View Post
I hate v-day, girls never get me what i want and i have to pretend to like it.:/ No matter how many hints you can give, they always come up short.
You should try asking for sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.
Boo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 AM   #15
Xerofox
were given today

Xerofox's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Artist of the Month   Staff Club - Xerofox   SOTF Winner   Staff - Graphics Team   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chickan View Post
Yeah that's a good point. Whilst we don't do much in Australia I do send e-cards to all of your girlfriends too....hope we don't double up or one of them might notice
Thank you, that will save me a lot of time this year. It's so hard to keep them satisfied.

I like the idea of a special day but there are so many special days in a year (rolls eyes). I love to show my girlfriend how much I love her but if I do it on Valentine's Day she would just roll her eyes. All restaurants are fully booked at that time, hell....even McDonalds is packed on Valentine's Day. I just don't follow the flock of sheep because I prefer it to be something spontaneous, not something that is set in time. I'll save that for our anniversary. And yes, she still loves me on 15th February.

Ps. I always had the thought that Valentine's Day is a day for most men to remind themselves they have a significant other that needs some personal attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo47 View Post
You should try asking for sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.
Maybe he is asking for sex but he never gets it?
Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
elephantd

frizzzlecake107's Gamercard

Quote:
So true, so true.

RIP FRIZZLECAKE107
Looking to boost: RSV2(My hero!) Gears of war 1(anything)
elephantd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #17
Pootcrum

Pootcrum's Gamercard

Quote:
When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.
Like pizza.

Pootcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #18
balance13

balance13's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootcrum View Post
Like pizza.
LOL!

I recently broke up with my GF so no worries for me on having to get anything, just play video games. Maybe go out pick up some random chicks since we don't have any school the next week.
balance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #19
MelangeAddict

melangeaddict's Gamercard
I just don't understand why couples make such a big deal about a day Al Capone (im too lazy to check my facts right now) massacred members of a rival gang.

"You know where the word 'slave' came from? Originally? There was some black guy being a 'slave' so they called him a 'slave'" Louis C.K. with Huck Finn changes in order to not overstep forum lines.
MelangeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #20
Euvel

Zendo0's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelangeAddict View Post
I just don't understand why couples make such a big deal about a day Al Capone (im too lazy to check my facts right now) massacred members of a rival gang.
Well that is not the principle or the bases of that day's event so the only reason it relates to the event at all is because it occurred during that specific event.
Lets say that on Ground Hog's Day Al Capone decided he was going to murder them. Well I guess we should stop caring about Ground Hog's Day. (But no really what the hell is the point of Ground Hog's Day? The thing always runs from his shadow and signifies nothing except maybe a good stew.)
Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
Lord Yamikage

lord yamikage's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Huh... interesting posts.

I don't believe you have to go out and purchased a product to make up the V-Day. Last year I made a 13 flowers (yes, I made them all personally) from the color papers (it has random two color on both side of the paper), put them in a small glass vase, and gave it to the girl I love. Did she like it? Well, seeing how she never got one, she was overwhelmed. Will she have to worry about the flower? No, and since it's made out of paper, she won't have to throw it away. Well, that's what she told me.

All I had to do was buy was the vase, which wasn't much, and pretty much did everything myself after asking my mother how to make the flower. Doesn't hurt my financial, and it's new.

The Forums Rules
[Read the Rules before posting!!]
[LINK]

Infraction!! Read it!!
[Read the Infraction "list" for obvious reason!![LINK]

Don't like the rules? Go report it to Admin.

Lord Yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #22
Hammer 5O2

Hammer x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Best strategy is dump the girl a week or two before valentines day then pick things back up after it. Save some cash and a few weeks of headaches

178 Completions
141 Retail
37 Arcade

Everyone Please Check out my Blog and Follow It
http://hammerx360a.blogspot.com/
Hammer 5O2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #23
Revolver

Send a message via AIM to Revolver Send a message via MSN to Revolver

RevolverOcl2's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Are you kidding me?!
I'm thankful that I am single this Valentine's Day!!!
For 5 years I had to endure that awful day, not to mention that my ex's birthday was on that very same day so every year I ended up owing money to the bank!
Hurray for being single!!!!
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #24
MisaaAmane

Send a message via ICQ to MisaaAmane Send a message via MSN to MisaaAmane Send a message via Skype™ to MisaaAmane

MisaaAmane's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
I've always ignored the day as I always managed to not have a bf right around that time by coincidence untill recently that I had the same bf for 2 years ;p
But I don't think people should be forced to look for a date or anything or try and get in a relationship specifically for that day
Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #25
DOOKH8R

DOOKH8R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 4   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 5O2 View Post
Best strategy is dump the girl a week or two before valentines day then pick things back up after it. Save some cash and a few weeks of headaches
This dude knows where its at. However, he is missing a subtle nuance.
You've got to dump her before Christmas/Hanukkah and then require her or a girl of equal/greater value in late February.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
Outline

Send a message via Skype™ to Outline

Abylities's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massa Siggy View Post
Like the OP, I live in the southeast US, so I assume our situations are similar, as they're probably the same in the whole US. We get advertising shoved down our throats so much that if you're single, you're thankful you are, and if you're in a relationship, you're made out to feel like a misogynist if you don't shell out $200 for a box of Godiva chocolate with a diamond necklace tied to it.

Long live American consumerism!
Oh Christ, this.

American consumerism, English consumerism, advertising in general... All evil.

Being a student (a broke ass bro) I regret having a girlfriend every year, for the coins I have to shell out to avoid a fight. It's meant to be the most romantic day of the year. I think most men see it as the day they most resent their other half.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #27
Giblets 2000

It's just one of the duties a boyfriend has to perform. No matter how much we whinge we aren't getting out of it, unless you are one of the lucky few who has a gf who agrees it is a dumb idea.

If you put the effort in, the next day all your hard work will be forgotten, but if you don't, you'll be dealing with the fallout for some time afterwards.

Besides, she puts up with hours of me stuck in front of the Xbox, so fair play.

If you can, organise something on another day (less inflated prices) and explain it's because you feel the actual day is forced on you, so less special. That, and try and organise something you can both enjoy doing, rather than buying some piece of sparkly tat...unless diamonds:

Giblets 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #28
AngelHeva

AngelHeva's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
omg. i hate occasions. barf. ugh. i always end up so disapointed because it never ends up how it looks on tv and i end up arguing with my bf that he doesn't love me haha so now we don't bother and it's great. the kids never miss out on occasions obviously, just me and bf don't bother with each other.

as much as i get dispointed i do know that v/day (occasions in general) is sooo over rated! everybody makes out you have to be a couple otherwise the world will stop. reguardless of if you have somebody or don't it's still a day like any other. if you love somebody then you don't need to prove it on 1 day by getting them a card in a red envelope. surley they should know through out the year they are loved? the amount you spend on valentines day you could split up through out the year and buy something every month/every few months. gifts are always more special when they are for just being you, than some occasions.

xXx

Last edited by AngelHeva; 02-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.
AngelHeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
NinjaPhilly

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Been with my Mrs over 3 years and we don't do anything too special. At most we'll order a takeaway and cuddle up with some films, she'd actually throttle me if I paid for us to go out to a restaurant with their jacked up V-Day prices.

NinjaPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
B1GM13

B1GM13's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Bright Idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlution View Post
I know this is a little early but in a couple of weeks all of us single men and women will have to endure that dreadful day. Let's confide in each other and combat this wretch of a holiday lol. I know with pretty good confidence that the only thing I'm getting action from is my Xbox haha.
Whats wrong with your hand??

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantd View Post
dude it's not your birthday or christmas... it's valentines day... what do you ask for?

on this occasion you can get away with anything..... Anal is there for the taking!
B1GM13 is offline   Reply With Quote