PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
HoorayItsMike

Lots of Questions about EQ and other things

First off, I'm playing on Earth difficulty and I'm going for Lymle's battle trophy for under 10 minutes.

1. What is the best strategy for Lymle? Hound Grenade or Extinction+ cards?

2. If I do about 1.4 mill damage on Gabriel with a rush combo, would I do a similar amount on the EQ? You will do slightly less damage vs. the EQ. I would estimate around 10% less damage.

3. Can the EQ stun you? Yes, but not very often.

4. Does stacking Critical Hit Rate Up on the same piece equipment still improve my odds of getting critical hits? What about Add Stun Effect to Attacks?

5. Is the Rush Combo method or the blindside method better for dealing the most damage quickly on the EQ?

6. Does using berserk with 9999 ATK still double your actual damage value? What about Enhance?

7. What is Meracle's most damaging special art in a rush combo? If it is Claws of Fury, would it be more beneficial to use the second-best art due to the time constraint and how long Claws of Fury takes to use?

8. What percentage of health does the EQ have left when she reaches her perma-rush stage? Supposedly 5%, it seems about right.

9. Does anyone know for sure how much health she has on Earth difficulty? It is about 10 million.

10. If I'm in the middle of a Rush Combo when she gets to her perma-rush stage, will I know it immediately by her rush gauge jumping to 100? Or will I have to wait until after the rush combo is over to see the rush gauge? The rush gauge does not ever just stay at 100. Once she is in her perma-rush stage, her gauge still goes down, but very slowly. Whenever she attacks, her gauge increases. So it is only technically a perma-rush sort of thing.

11. Can magical skills (particularly Lymle's Hound Grenade) have critical hits?

12. Will the 10 minutes include any menu time that I have during the battle?

13. Once I defeat her and have the trophy, will I always have that trophy even if I were to die? Or do I have to save first and then it is permanently saved on all files?

I have Super Tri-Emblems and Laser Suits with 15 Tri-emblems on them.
My weapons will give everyone 9999 ATK/INT, but I haven't quite decided on what effects to use. My neck accesories are all blue talisman's with +2, +2, and +3 Rush Gauge charge rate on them.

I'm planning on using Arumat, Meracle, Lymle, and Sarah for the whole fight. Before the fight, I'm going to have Sarah and Lymle both eat an Otherworldly Cuisine. In the beginning, I will put Sarah and Lymle in opposite corners and Lymle will be put on manual and Sarah on stay out of trouble. I think I will also start the battle with Arumat and Meracle on manual for two reasons:

1. They will get hit in the beginning and hopefully their rush gauges will be charged.
2. They won't do any damage that I am unaware of.

Depending on the percentage of health the EQ has when she begins her perma-rush, the second reason may become obsolete. I will basically just control Arumat and Meracle for the first 90% of the fight doing Rush combos constantly. Once she reaches perma-rush (depending on her health percentage) I will put both of them on manual and take off any chain combos that they have on. I will then take control of Lymle and basically Hound Grenade the EQ until she dies through Rush combos. I will also use Mindflare during this time if it actually does double my damage output with her.

Is this probably the best strategy? My biggest fear is doing too much damage before Lymle starts fighting, but I don't want that fear to cause me to not do enough damage so that Lymle can't win it in under 10 minutes.

I know this is a lot, but if someone with a lot of experience in this game could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Well, I went and gave it a shot, and failed. It was my own fault. I was calculating the amount of damage and I got to 8.5 mill (out of the estimated 10) then decided to keep hitting her until she went into perma-rush mode. I didn't realize that it wasn't ACTUALLY perma-rush and that her gauge wouldn't show that she was in that mode. So I used 2 dragon roar chain combos and accidentally killed her. It was only at about 5 minutes, too, so it was a pretty big let down. I went on to beat her 2 more times, and I just saved on a different file. I'll go back sometime I guess.

I also answered some of my questions that I figured for myself out in bold. The rest of them could still help me out a bit, even if you know just one please respond and let me know.

Last edited by HoorayItsMike; 02-06-2010 at 06:45 AM.
HoorayItsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
zelgadissan

1) I have tried both methods and prefer Hound Grenade, although I used that method (successfully) second so I had the learning experience from attempting Extinction+ cards (unsuccessfully). If I had done it the other way around, maybe I'd prefer the cards.
4) I've never seen a definitive answer but I believe the answer to both is yes.
5) Rush Combos take a whole lot of time, blindsides are a pain to maintain. Personally I just stand there and let loose with Dragon Roars.
6) Unsure, so I'll let vex undoubtedly come answer it
7) Neat little fact: at the end of a Rush Combo, the 7th attack (the uncontrolled move) will be the strongest available against that enemy, even if you don't have it currently equipped for potential use. I would guess Claws of Fury.
11) Yes they can - I know that I got some of Faize's "X number of critical hits" trophies using Stone Rain.
12) I believe it's a running counter even during the menus but I don't know for sure.
13) The trophy must be saved. If you unlock the trophy and then in your celebratory dance unplug your 360 without saving, enjoy your 20 floor trek again.

As far as general strategy, I would switch out Lymle for Edge or Reimi, then once you know you've done 80% or so damage switch them out for Lymle.

I'm starting to become a PC gamer, so who knows if this will ever get finished.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
zelgadissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Finnan

Finnan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoorayItsMike View Post
1. What is the best strategy for Lymle? Hound Grenade or Extinction+ cards?
I personally used Hound Grenade when I succeeded, I wouldn't recommend the cards.

Quote:
3. Can the EQ stun you? Yes, but not very often.
I gave everyone anti-stun and anti-paralysis factors to ensure this would not be an issue.

Quote:
4. Does stacking Critical Hit Rate Up on the same piece equipment still improve my odds of getting critical hits? What about Add Stun Effect to Attacks?
Yes, but each successive factor is less effective. I would use at most 2-3 factors per character.

Quote:
5. Is the Rush Combo method or the blindside method better for dealing the most damage quickly on the EQ?
Unfortunately, my answer to this is neither. I used plain old rush mode. Blindsides are too finicky and only work with one character really, and rush combos take too long to execute (we're on a time limit here ). I set everyone up on BEAT: B and just used regular rush mode, which basically becomes perma rush if you have it at level 20 since you'll be taking such a beating that it'll pretty much stay at 100.

Quote:
6. Does using berserk with 9999 ATK still double your actual damage value? What about Enhance?
I would have to double check this, but my best guess is that no, it doesn't. I believe berserk doubles ATK, but if you're at the cap, double it is still the cap, so no extra damage. Same thing goes with abilities that raise INT, if you're at the cap, you get no added benefit.

Quote:
7. What is Meracle's most damaging special art in a rush combo? If it is Claws of Fury, would it be more beneficial to use the second-best art due to the time constraint and how long Claws of Fury takes to use?
As per above, I used regular rush mode, so I would use using X-Claw, which is very quick and quite powerful.

Quote:
11. Can magical skills (particularly Lymle's Hound Grenade) have critical hits?

12. Will the 10 minutes include any menu time that I have during the battle?
11. Yes.
12. No.

Quote:
13. Once I defeat her and have the trophy, will I always have that trophy even if I were to die? Or do I have to save first and then it is permanently saved on all files?
Unfortunately you must first save, but after that you're good on all of your saves with it.

Quote:
I have Super Tri-Emblems and Laser Suits with 15 Tri-emblems on them.
My weapons will give everyone 9999 ATK/INT, but I haven't quite decided on what effects to use. My neck accesories are all blue talisman's with +2, +2, and +3 Rush Gauge charge rate on them.
Since my characters were in perma rush mode already, I didn't use many +Rush guage factors. I had one on the super Tri-Emblum after synthing on the Tri-Emblems, but that was it i think. I had some immunity factors, damage prevention factors, increase critical chance factors, and the like. If you would like, I can go back to my save to see exactly what I used.

Quote:
I'm planning on using Arumat, Meracle, Lymle, and Sarah for the whole fight. Before the fight, I'm going to have Sarah and Lymle both eat an Otherworldly Cuisine. In the beginning, I will put Sarah and Lymle in opposite corners and Lymle will be put on manual and Sarah on stay out of trouble. I think I will also start the battle with Arumat and Meracle on manual for two reasons:

1. They will get hit in the beginning and hopefully their rush gauges will be charged.
2. They won't do any damage that I am unaware of.

Depending on the percentage of health the EQ has when she begins her perma-rush, the second reason may become obsolete. I will basically just control Arumat and Meracle for the first 90% of the fight doing Rush combos constantly. Once she reaches perma-rush (depending on her health percentage) I will put both of them on manual and take off any chain combos that they have on. I will then take control of Lymle and basically Hound Grenade the EQ until she dies through Rush combos. I will also use Mindflare during this time if it actually does double my damage output with her.

Is this probably the best strategy? My biggest fear is doing too much damage before Lymle starts fighting, but I don't want that fear to cause me to not do enough damage so that Lymle can't win it in under 10 minutes.
What worked for me was using Arumat, Edge, and Reimi for damage, and Myuria for healing. I had the DDs all on auto, but would manually control Arumat. Myuria was set to Do Nothing, and I would flip to her whenever I needed healing (menu time is not counted, so don't worry about the time it takes to flip between characters). The reason I used Myuria instead of Sarah is quite simply Fast Cast, this makes her by far the best healer. I would just chain Dragon Roars and let Edge and Reimi go to town using their best moves. Once EQ enters "perma rush" I would wait 10-15 seconds (the 30 seconds I was given by many guides was far too much and resulted in me killing her too soon). Actually, I was on galaxy, so since you're on Earth mode, you may not want to wait at all once she enters perma rush. Once I was done using Dragon Roars for those 10-15 seconds, I would set all characters to Do Nothing and swap out Myuria for Lymle. Of course, as you stated, she had eaten an Otherworldly cuisine prior to the fight. As soon as I bring her out, I use a fainting potion on whoever the EQ is targeting to give her 60 seconds of beating on a char who cannot die (Repeat this as necessary if it wears off) and just went nuts with Hound Grenade. When this worked, I got it in ~7 minutes, leaving lots of time to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexacion View Post
Finnan is correct on every point based upon my experiences.
Finnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
HoorayItsMike

Thanks a lot to both of you. I will definitely try out your strategy Finnan. My first time around I was looking for her rush gauge to jump to 100 whenever she enters the so-called "perma rush" mode. It doesn't work that way, and so I basically killed her way too fast. I'll try out your strategy and hopefully it'll work out for me.
HoorayItsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
vexacion

falcron's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Finnan is correct on every point (Including #6) based upon my experiences.

Achieved a worldwide first (and only known):
May 11, 2010: PS3 Platinum - Star Ocean: The Last Hope International [YouTube]
July 26, 2009: XBox 360 1000 Gamerscore - Star Ocean: The Last Hope [Youtube]

Currently Working On:
Need a break!
vexacion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
Massa Siggy

Saint Sigmund's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Jeez, wish I had seen this thread when I still had the game. I might've actually been able to kill the bitch.

Credit to Spazaz Man for the sweet sig
Massa Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Omega Supreme

Predaking GT's Gamercard
What does the OP mean by 'killed her too soon' ? Isn't the objective to kill her in 10min?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
zelgadissan

The objective is to kill her within 10 minutes with Lymle, whose strongest attacks are fire based, and EQ is immune to fire for the majority of the battle. AKA it sucks.

"Killing her too soon" would imply that OP spent the majority of the battle on a damage dealer like Arumat, and did too much damage before switching over to Lymle for the final shots.

I'm starting to become a PC gamer, so who knows if this will ever get finished.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
zelgadissan is offline   Reply With Quote