PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Sports and Fitness > Major League Baseball 2k7
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
SteelerXBox360

Send a message via AIM to SteelerXBox360 Send a message via MSN to SteelerXBox360 Send a message via Yahoo to SteelerXBox360

iZoSo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   Gears of War Annex Challenge Third Place   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Question Pitching Help, I'm begging...

I hate to create a new thread but I must as I can't get any of the pitching achievements, except I did get league leader in strikeouts, so I do know basically how to pitch just not how to do a few important things.

1. please explain once and for all how to get "payoff" pitches consistently, I try to hit the area and usually strike the guy out but I do not get the payoff credit...

2. somewhat related, is this correct? You start by setting the breakpoint of the pitch by moving LS and lock it in with the type of pitch ('A' for fastball), now do you just let the pitch go or do you move LS again to control it or is it too late at this point...

3. This one is pissing me off ...when runners are on base, my pitchers all of a sudden start throwing wild pitches and I can't seem to control it, what am I doing wrong. I pitch the same way and even hold LS the opposite way of where the ball ends up going and it is still a WP, WTF?

TIA

SteelerXBox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Shaaady Souljah

Send a message via AIM to Shaaady Souljah

Shady x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Doom Tournament - 2nd Place   Submit - Bronze
when pitching you actually have to use 'A' (or whatever button/pitch you throw) twice.

hold it down to charge it up--this determines how much effort you put on the ball for speed or break. and then release it.

and THEN...you push it again right as it closes and time it so it is the size of the original white dot. if you only push it once, you will have no control over accuracy and thus, throw wild pitches in certain situations.
Shaaady Souljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Seandor

Seandor's Gamercard
That being said, if you're having trouble hitting the target for a payoff pitch, just throw a fastball (as it doesn't break like other pitches). Also, use the right analog stick to get the catcher to move his glove to an area that you find easier to hit. The payoff pitch achievement was probably the second or third one I got.

And if you really want it, play on rookie. It's easier to get the perfect pitch on the lower difficulty setting.
Seandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
SteelerXBox360

Send a message via AIM to SteelerXBox360 Send a message via MSN to SteelerXBox360 Send a message via Yahoo to SteelerXBox360

iZoSo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   Gears of War Annex Challenge Third Place   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaaady Souljah View Post
when pitching you actually have to use 'A' (or whatever button/pitch you throw) twice.

hold it down to charge it up--this determines how much effort you put on the ball for speed or break. and then release it.

and THEN...you push it again right as it closes and time it so it is the size of the original white dot. if you only push it once, you will have no control over accuracy and thus, throw wild pitches in certain situations.
This is exactly what I was missing, Thank You! I will try this later tonight after I get home from work/mall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandor
That being said, if you're having trouble hitting the target for a payoff pitch, just throw a fastball (as it doesn't break like other pitches). Also, use the right analog stick to get the catcher to move his glove to an area that you find easier to hit. The payoff pitch achievement was probably the second or third one I got.

And if you really want it, play on rookie. It's easier to get the perfect pitch on the lower difficulty setting.
I will try it on Pro 1st as I still need 15 SOs also but I will keep this in mind...Now I know how to move the catcher too, Great!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Shaaady Souljah

Send a message via AIM to Shaaady Souljah

Shady x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Doom Tournament - 2nd Place   Submit - Bronze
good luck steeler...

when you master all of the single player hit me up and i will help you with the online as well.
Shaaady Souljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Prius Owner

I think it's easier to hit payoff pitches if you change the settings to pinpoint instead of breakpoint. Also anytime you get a strike with the suggested pitch with a 2 strike count, it counts as a payoff pitch even if you miss your mark.
Prius Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
SteelerXBox360

iZoSo's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaaady Souljah View Post
good luck steeler...

when you master all of the single player hit me up and i will help you with the online as well.
Thx for the offer Shaaady, I am starting to get the hang of it, so maybe I will look you up this weekend as I only have this game out until next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius Owner
I think it's easier to hit payoff pitches if you change the settings to pinpoint instead of breakpoint. Also anytime you get a strike with the suggested pitch with a 2 strike count, it counts as a payoff pitch even if you miss your mark.
I will look for this pinpoint setting? Thx for the suggestion

I don't know about the payoff pitch counting if you miss your mark because I always use the suggested pitch and have had 15 or more strikeouts many times and still not gotten my 10 for the achievement. I was finally getting the hang of this last night and I should have gotten this achievement as I was close to 10 but I can see that when your pitch stats go "red" instead of "blue" after your attempted payoff pitch, it counts as a payoff pitch. I was always getting it to go "blue" before but was getting many "red" flashes last night...does it matter what game mode or setting this is done on?

Last edited by SteelerXBox360; 03-09-2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Seandor

Seandor's Gamercard
Red means you hit the payoff pitch. Blue of course means you missed. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. The thing to pay attention to is the number change. To see the rating of each pitch press the right trigger and move the analog stick. Each pitch will have a number rating. If you hit the payoff pitch the number goes up.

Kinda funny that they chose red for color that flashes when you successfully throw a payoff pitch, since red usually = bad.
Seandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
SteelerXBox360

iZoSo's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandor View Post
Red means you hit the payoff pitch. Blue of course means you missed. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. The thing to pay attention to is the number change. To see the rating of each pitch press the right trigger and move the analog stick. Each pitch will have a number rating. If you hit the payoff pitch the number goes up.

Kinda funny that they chose red for color that flashes when you successfully throw a payoff pitch, since red usually = bad.
This is one of the other things (PP rating) that I was wondering about since I do not have a guide with my rental...now I can keep track of things easier...I agree about the coloring, they should have went red (missed) and green (hit) instead...

Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
StormShadow 11B
Banned User

TwiIight's Gamercard
Also if the catcher is calling for a curve, sinker, or slider on the payoff, you can always pitch outside the zone and hope he calls for a fastball on the next pitch. Fast balls are the easiest for hitting a payoff pitch. For getting strikeouts, use the cheats posted in another thread to turn on the 2 strikes and yer out cheat. I like to pitch sliders so that the break point is right around the batters balls and just just nicks the inside edge of the zone. Doesn't take too much practice. For the final strike, a high fastball on the inside corner almost always does the trick. Curves that just nick the bottom outside corner work well too but are more risky.
StormShadow 11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
jasonisco0l

jasonisco0l's Gamercard
i still haven't gotten the payoff achievement i've tried everything, throwing in the square, just throwing the ball, nothing works man. i wonder in mine is glitched
jasonisco0l is offline   Reply With Quote