PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Red Dead Redemption
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Cable Player

Send a message via MSN to Cable Player Send a message via Skype™ to Cable Player

Cable Player's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
"Mowing Them Down" - Known issues & solutions

Hi guys, I realise this may have been posted a couple of times before, but I would like to explain to you and warn you of some issues with this achievement, and how to work you way around them.

For a detailed explanation on the glitch and how to avoid it, see the "Summary" at the end.

The achievement is: "Mowing Them Down - Kill 500 Enemies with a mounted weapon in any mode - 20 "

Seeing as you cannot re-play story missions, to get this achievement, you must do it during a single player/public/private free roam. (Any kills you get whilst re-doing levels do not count towards the statistic.)

There are known issues with the "Browning machine gun." Any kills with this weapon do not count towards your 500 kills. However, carry on reading and I can easily explain how to sort this problem.

On the Social Club, Rockstar hint that you should head to this location. This would suggest that the achievement is glitched, rather than deliberatley avoiding the Brownin Machine Gun.

Head over to "El Matadero" (South) Eastern Mexico.
There is a Browning machine gun on top of a small building, just infront of the stable.
Use this machine gun to get 500 kills.
The easiest way is to do it in a Private free-roam with (as many friends) as possible to help you.
Just stay on the roof and let your friends protect behind the house, as the Browning gun cannot aim there, but the police will be able to shoot you. Have your friends help thin-out the amount of police. If you are firing in one direction and there are police shooting your back, have your friends take them out quickly! (As to who they kill is entirley down to stategy. Talk between yourselves in your party and find the best method of not dying but still getting a respectable amount of kills with the Browning machine gun)

Once you have hit 500, (Check under the pause menu\Stats\Combat), head over to "El Presidio" which is marked on the map with a cannon (North) East Mexico.

Simply obtain a wanted level and use the Gattling gun/ Cannon on the main gate, (this is the easiest to get a kill with as the police have to run through the gate below you)
Once you get the kill, the game will realise you have 500+ kills and the achievement will unlock!

Mowing Them Down - Kill 500 Enemies with a mounted weapon in any mode - 20

On a foot-note, alternativley you could head to El Presidio and use the gattling gun/ cannon on the main gate. However, my personal experiance suggests that heading to El Matedero is faster for kills, and as long as you have a friend protecting you, you should only take roughly 50 minutes to get all 500 kills.

Summary:
  • The Browning machine gun is glitched.
  • If you get 500 Kills with the Browning machine gun, the achievement will not unlock.
  • To fix this, simply get another kill with either the cannon or gattling gun.
  • If you have X amount of kills in Single-player and Y amount of kills in multi-player, these do not add up. You must have 500 kills in one of these game-types.
  • From my own personal experiance, "El Matedero" is the easiest location to get the fastest amount of kills. You just need a buddy to protect you from those who you physically cannot shoot with the Browning.
  • "El Presidio" is a lot safer, but may not neceserily be so quick. Remember - as long as you have a friend who is protecting you, "El Matedero" is perfectly fine. I would certainly suggest going to "El Presidio" if you are solo'ing this though.
(Final changes/ edits to the original post have been completed)

Last edited by Cable Player; 05-26-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Final changes/ edits have been completed
Cable Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
golobayj

I got all 500 kills on the gattling gun over the entrance to El Presidio. Why can't you just start there?
golobayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Cable Player

Send a message via MSN to Cable Player Send a message via Skype™ to Cable Player

Cable Player's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by golobayj View Post
I got all 500 kills on the gattling gun over the entrance to El Presidio. Why can't you just start there?
You could start here, but I found it easier to use El Matedero.
I shall edit the OP and suggest that El Presidio could be an easier location.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
kzone1991

dl kryzi's Gamercard
I'll try that today.

kzone1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
shulamm

Shulamm's Gamercard
Just a quick question... or three: can't you get this achievement repeating several story missions? Do the kills stack in this case? Wouldn't be easier this way?
shulamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Cable Player

Cable Player's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shulamm View Post
Just a quick question... or three: can't you get this achievement repeating several story missions? Do the kills stack in this case? Wouldn't be easier this way?
You cannot repeat story missions for this achievement as it does not add it to the statistics.
There is no way to get 500 kills during story line with the mounted weapons.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Valiant Goat

Valiant Goat's Gamercard
What a dumb achievement, that's too many kills for a weapon where you are stationary(not fun).
Valiant Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Fizzmatix
Banned User

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Gold   Bright Idea   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Player View Post
You could start here, but I found it easier to use El Matedero.
I shall edit the OP and suggest that El Presidio could be an easier location.
There is no reason to do all the stuff before El Presidio, you can just head on there and use the Gatling Gun in a private free roam. Earning 500 kills with the browning is just a waste of time really, it takes forever and it doesn't count towards anything.
Fizzmatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Cable Player

Cable Player's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzmatix View Post
There is no reason to do all the stuff before El Presidio, you can just head on there and use the Gatling Gun in a private free roam. Earning 500 kills with the browning is just a waste of time really, it takes forever and it doesn't count towards anything.
I have tryed to explain how I personally found it easier to do the achievement.
In the OP I clearly state the bug and how to work around it, and the two methods of doing it. If your solo'ing it, then head to El Presidio, if your not, then it will take a lot less time if your mates help you at El Matadero.
This is from my personal experiance.

Although it doesnt count towards anything, it technically does as if you get 500 kills with it and then move to El Presidio to use either the cannon or gatling gun, the achievement will then trigger.

As I said, this is just my own personal experiance. Others may find it different, but for those who don't know much about the game or need some tips, then I think this is a good place to start.
If it turns out they are struggling at El Matadero then by all means move on. Its all about how they can play, and how comfortable they are with it.

I have found, as long as I have a friend who is willing to cover my back, that El Matadero is an aweful lot faster for getting kills.
El Presidio, however, is a lot safer.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Ganon113

father of pain's Gamercard
i just tried this method and it worked. thanks cable for the info

Thanks xFortySeven for the sig!

Ganon113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #11
Valiant Goat

Valiant Goat's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzmatix View Post
Would this require other players to watch your back, or could you do it alone with no hassle?
Valiant Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
golobayj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant Goat View Post
Would this require other players to watch your back, or could you do it alone with no hassle?
At El Presidio, you can hop on the gatling gun and shoot guys coming in but they will get behind you coming in the second entrance. You can have a guy watching your back and that works. But I did it solo. I just watched the mini-map for guys coming behind me and hopped off the turret momentarily to pop them with my pistol. That said, I didn't get all 500 without dying at least a few times. It only takes a minute or so to get the wanted level back up after you die so it's not a huge deal. Pretty simple if you're doing it solo, just sit on the gatling gun and pick off the endless waves coming in the front entrance and occasionally hop off to clear the enemies off your backside.
golobayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:28 AM   #13
Mister Buds

Mister Buds's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
At El Presidio, you can hop on the gatling gun and shoot guys coming in but they will get behind you coming in the second entrance. You can have a guy watching your back and that works. But I did it solo. I just watched the mini-map for guys coming behind me and hopped off the turret momentarily to pop them with my pistol. That said, I didn't get all 500 without dying at least a few times. It only takes a minute or so to get the wanted level back up after you die so it's not a huge deal. Pretty simple if you're doing it solo, just sit on the gatling gun and pick off the endless waves coming in the front entrance and occasionally hop off to clear the enemies off your backside.
if it's not too much trouble could you (or anyone) tell me where the gatling is at el presidio? i'm pretty sure it's at the highest point, correct? if so, how did you go about killing? i was trying this a little while ago and it seems that all the police just spawn inside the walls of el presidio, so i can't shoot them no matter what gun i'm on.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 AM   #14
T00ms

TO0ms's Gamercard
There are 3 gatling guns at presidio. One is in a hole in the wall right by the southern gate. One is way up top watching the western gate. A third is in the back corner eastern side looking out over the railroad and roads way down below presidio.

I got this achievement in singleplayer by using my 100% bureau outfit and bandana and sitting on the browning gun in El Matadero mowing down the constant supply of civilians. When I got to 500, I discovered that it's glitched of course and read the info here. So then you need to go to Presidio. I changed outfits, got a wanted level, led the law guys to presidio, and manned that first gatling gun right by the gate to shoot them as they ran in. It triggered the achievement right away.
T00ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:55 AM   #15
Mister Buds

Mister Buds's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00ms View Post
There are 3 gatling guns at presidio. One is in a hole in the wall right by the southern gate. One is way up top watching the western gate. A third is in the back corner eastern side looking out over the railroad and roads way down below presidio.

I got this achievement in singleplayer by using my 100% bureau outfit and bandana and sitting on the browning gun in El Matadero mowing down the constant supply of civilians. When I got to 500, I discovered that it's glitched of course and read the info here. So then you need to go to Presidio. I changed outfits, got a wanted level, led the law guys to presidio, and manned that first gatling gun right by the gate to shoot them as they ran in. It triggered the achievement right away.
thanks for the clarification and extra tip. going to give that a try tomorrow. i think it would be better to do in story mode since i already have cannon kills from the missions, plus the enemies seem a lot stronger in free roam.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 AM   #16
bob101910

bob101910 rfp's Gamercard
Quote:
About an hour per person here, just finished it. Fun
Most Recent: Guacamelee (X1)
bob101910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #17
Cable Player

Cable Player's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganon113 View Post
i just tried this method and it worked. thanks cable for the info
No problem I'm glad to help.

As others have said, the law enforcement can get behind you in El Presidio, but as long as you keep an eye on the mini-map and press to have a larger map, you should be fine.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #18
jirvine64

I JaMii3 I's Gamercard
Can i get like 250 kills with the browning then the rest with the gatling gun?, cause i already have 256 with the browning
Modern Warfare 2, Call Of Duty :WaW , Call Of Duty 4,Halo3,Halo3ODST, Fable 2 ,Skate 2,Harry Potter HBP, Harry Potter Ootp, Lego Harry Potter,TNA: IMPACT!, LEGO Star Wars: TCS,LEGO Batman,LEGO Indiana Jones,KING KONG,TMNT,SmackDown Vs Raw 2008,WWE Legends, Smackdown vs Raw 2010 ,Terminator Salvation, Frontlines: Fuel of war, Avatar TLA TBE, Nba 2k6, Nhl 2k6, Tekken 6
jirvine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #19
Quid Squid

elKamikazeSquid's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I did this same thing on single player earlier today and it works the same way. When I first started by shooting the army guy on the roof I had a bounty until I killed all the local officials around the house. most would just come up the ladder and I would be ready for them. After that I could just go on killing people that rode by making sure I did a quick save by using a different horse paper in my inventory. (that way I didn't lose the kills I received if I was in fact killed).

Then went to El Presidio and shot the cannon at the wall a couple times to get 1 kill and the achievement popped up. (i found that I could never get enough guys at El Presidio, so I went with the OP method, which worked like a charm. )
Quid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #20
Nayr

PANDEMlC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00ms View Post

Ummm how does this work? I'm trying it but there's only 2 civilians that spawn.. and it's not quick like the Black Water spawn.

Seems like not wearing the Bureau Outfit would be a better way.

Uhh doing this in SP is retarded, killing hundreds of people and still no cops are coming.

Last edited by Nayr; 05-28-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Nayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
T00ms

TO0ms's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
Ummm how does this work? I'm trying it but there's only 2 civilians that spawn.. and it's not quick like the Black Water spawn.

Uhh doing this in SP is retarded, killing hundreds of people and still no cops are coming.
Weird, people were constantly riding into town when I did it. Maybe just camp in the house there and try again in the morning. There should be people riding in from both right and left, wagons, horse riders, etc.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #22
T00ms

TO0ms's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvine64 View Post
Can i get like 250 kills with the browning then the rest with the gatling gun?, cause i already have 256 with the browning
Yes, as long as all those kills are in either single or multiplayer, not across both.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #23
Fire_Twisted

Twizted Deity's Gamercard
OMG thank you for explaining this trick! Just got it woot!
Fire_Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #24
MADasaHatter

MADRUCKIS's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post

Actually it's not retarded at all. When you call the police into it, you need to get off the gun to shoot people coming up the stairs trying to flank you. The civilians spawn during the day. I'll be getting a video of this tommorow. Thanks to the OP for the idea and I'll post you your credit.

The gang's all here.

MADasaHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #25
yevinorion

Dirty Machete's Gamercard
So wait, are you guys saying the OP strategy works in single player as well?
yevinorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #26
xSUBxMAXx

Not working for me in single player, went to el matadro? got on the "machine gun" , not called gatling or browning for some reason, and it's not registering the kills still stuck on 104 after killing probably 50 or so with it, no change.
xSUBxMAXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #27
SpinelesS

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevinorion View Post
Yes it does (I would also recomend getting 100% so you can use the Bureau Uniform to avoid the law )

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSUBxMAXx View Post
Not working for me in single player, went to el matadro? got on the "machine gun" , not called gatling or browning for some reason, and it's not registering the kills still stuck on 104 after killing probably 50 or so with it, no change.
Wierd, I just did this in single player, and killing with the machine gun on the roof of the house near El Matadero increased the stat for my Browning Gun under combat in stats... Reached over 500 with that gun alone, then went to el presidio and shot a cannonball from one of the cannons at someone on a nearby building to unlock the achievement.

Last edited by SpinelesS; 05-30-2010 at 08:46 PM.
SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #28
MADasaHatter

MADRUCKIS's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevinorion View Post

It does work. I just got this last night. I tried recording it but it just took too much time. Going for this achievement after you complete 100% was a cakewalk.
  • Look, get your kills on the browning while using your outfit to keep off the law. (It took me 45 minutes to an hour to get my browning numbers up by killing roughly 3-6 citizens a minute).
  • Add up your kills cannon, gatling and browning. Your numbers must total over 500.(I had 5, 110 and 410 respectively- equating to 525 kills).
  • Save and take off your duds. Change to something else (I wore the bandito clothes)
  • Go to Chuparosa and hang out in the back exit of town (near the railroad tracks). Get in a firefight with the law and rack up at least a $500 bounty or until all lawmen are dead.
  • Leave town and fast travel to the fort.
  • The Mexican federales will instantly find you when you spawn. High tail it to the fort and use a mounted gun. (I spawned behind the fort forcing me to enter the back gate and run up to the rear cannon. The federale will enter that gate and I just fired one cannon blast to get the achievement to pop).

The gang's all here.

MADasaHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #29
ArachAU

I can confirm what other people have said about getting this in Single Player.

1. Use the Browning in El Matadero to get your 500.
2. Use a Cannon/Gatling to pick up a kill in El Presidio.
3. Doink.

I found a NPC at the top of the fort next to the Gatling. You can a south facing cannon on the tower and the splash will kill him.
ArachAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #30
corbin813

corbin813's Gamercard
Thanks a lot, Cable. This method worked great. Helped me get a bunch of my 'Become Public Enemy 50 Times' challenges out of the way, too. I did it solo at El Matadero, and was able to get between 20-50 kills each life. Got to 504 mounted kills, went to El Presidio and it unlocked on the first kill with the cannon.
corbin813 is offline   Reply With Quote