PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Limbo
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
anangke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 68

Anangke's Gamercard
I find this game offensive.

I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.
anangke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
donut77
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 75

donut77's Gamercard
The art style in my opinion lessens the impact of the violence, as the game is black and white and the main character looks essentially like a shadow, being killed by other shadows, its all 'stylized' i guess. Also the character doesn't make any noises when he dies, no screams or whatever, which further lessens the impact. Any which way you look at it the game has been appropriately rated M15+, as the overall feel of the game is very sinister.
donut77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
DarthKoRn
 
DarthKoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posts: 81

DarthKoRn's Gamercard
I completely agree with all the points you made, but I have to say that the game is rated T for Teen, with notes of animated blood and mild violence. Its not meant for young children and possibly some people who might find that type of material offensive. You obviously do, and that is your prerogative. You aren't wrong, up until your very last statement stating your disdain for the developers. Some things just aren't for everyone and this clearly is not a title for you.
DarthKoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
l Rebirth l
 
l Rebirth l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 149

l Rebirth l's Gamercard
Also, you can go to settings and turn on the gore filter. The game even warns you at the title screen.
__________________

Retail Games- 1000: 0/5 1250:0/1 1550: 0/1 1750: 0/1
Arcade Games- 200:0/5 250:0/2
Gamerscore- 2895/11050 26.19%
l Rebirth l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Law
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 339

Avisole's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
You have played almost every FPS to come out in the last year or two and you are just now being offended by killing/gore? You make no sense.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Gottle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Gottle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
You have played almost every FPS to come out in the last year or two and you are just now being offended by killing/gore? You make no sense.
Probably he's offended because in this game you can't kill (apart giant spiders), you can only be killed!
__________________

Gottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
RockWhore
 
RockWhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 235

DannyRock's Gamercard
Just out of interest, if it wasn't a small boy would you still find it offensive? Perhaps replace the small boy with...a...goat?
RockWhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Genesis x360a
 
Genesis x360a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pandora
Posts: 5,015

Schluballybub's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Gold   2,500 Posts   Road Map - Gold   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   Submit - Bronze   Call of Duty: WaW Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   Subscriber Uno - Third Place   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anangke View Post
I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.
If feel this strongly then i sugest you stay away from Dantes Inferno

OT:

Ive played and its isnt half as bad as you make it out to be. If you dont like it dont play it simples.
__________________



Genesis x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
amusedparrot
 
amusedparrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northampton, UK
Posts: 136

amusedparrot's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I can see where the OP is coming from although I don't find it disgusting I can see that people would think it was.

I think the OP's problem lies with the fact it is the silhouette of a young boy. Away from most FPS which show grown men / women. I haven't seen the promotional image of the boy being hung. But is that is true then that isn't particularly great.

I am going to get the game as I think it looks great but I can certainly see the OP's point.
__________________

100%
Retail
Hitman: Blood Money, Skate, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed 2, Madden NFL 10, Fable II, Lego Indiana Jones, Assassin's Creed,

100% Arcade
3D Ultra Mini Golf, 3 on 3 NHL Arcade, Uno Rush, Kingdom For Keflings

Currently Playing
Skate 2, Forza 2, GoW 2, FIFA 10, Wits and Wagers
amusedparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
l Rebirth l
 
l Rebirth l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 149

l Rebirth l's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
You have played almost every FPS to come out in the last year or two and you are just now being offended by killing/gore? You make no sense.
Um actually he does make sense. The protagonist is a little boy, that does get killed in pretty bad ways. While that doesn't necessary bother me, it may bother him, which in this case it does. A war game vs a little boy being hanged, stabbed, broken neck, etc.
__________________

Retail Games- 1000: 0/5 1250:0/1 1550: 0/1 1750: 0/1
Arcade Games- 200:0/5 250:0/2
Gamerscore- 2895/11050 26.19%
l Rebirth l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Frankie Godskin
 
Frankie Godskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 210

Frankie Godskin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by anangke View Post
I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.
Vote with your dollars and don't buy the game. I watched some gameplay videos last night and I think the deaths are jarring and an immersive part of the game, and I'm not bothered by them at all. I'll be buying this when I get home from work.
__________________
Frankie Godskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
DarthKoRn
 
DarthKoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posts: 81

DarthKoRn's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by l Rebirth l View Post
Um actually he does make sense. The protagonist is a little boy, that does get killed in pretty bad ways. While that doesn't necessary bother me, it may bother him, which in this case it does. A war game vs a little boy being hanged, stabbed, broken neck, etc.
Yep, I agree, it does make a difference sometimes. Like this scene...



Was pretty - I don't want to say shocking... but just very intense. There was a very emotional response when I first saw that.
DarthKoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
l Rebirth l
 
l Rebirth l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 149

l Rebirth l's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKoRn View Post
Yep, I agree, it does make a difference sometimes. Like this scene...



Was pretty - I don't want to say shocking... but just very intense. There was a very emotional response when I first saw that.
Yeah... Now while that is pretty wrong, I can't say I'd get the same emotional response if it was in say, a CoD game.
__________________

Retail Games- 1000: 0/5 1250:0/1 1550: 0/1 1750: 0/1
Arcade Games- 200:0/5 250:0/2
Gamerscore- 2895/11050 26.19%
l Rebirth l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Machina22
 
Machina22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46

Machina22's Gamercard
The stuff that offends the OP is a large part of what makes this game so fantastic imo. It's creepy, brutal, atmospheric, shocking etc., all of that, and as I play through all those moments I'm just sat there thinking 'wow, what an amazing game'.
__________________

Last edited by Machina22; 07-21-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Machina22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Shelton
 
Shelton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,285

Tully123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
It is a game! I honestly will never understand why people get upset over these things. The boy is not real. The world that he is in is not real. Maybe it's just me, but I've never been affected by violence in videogames. If it were to really happen, then sure, I'd be disgusted. In a game however, the devs can do whatever they want to a fictional character in a fictional world.
__________________
Done with achievements.
Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
BlocTaz
 
BlocTaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Posts: 73

BlocTaz's Gamercard
It's not real!
BlocTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
guillermo316
 
guillermo316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midgar
Posts: 3,580

Fantasychampion's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Its not offensive, beacuse worst stuff happens in real life and people don't care. Yeah, you can chainsaw trough a alien that's Ok, i mean the alien if they saw it they would be pretty ofended, what about how people say they never put black people in ads or they only like the white perfect familes for casual game ads. there are so many offensive stuff in the video game industry but When LImbo comes out you get offended!
guillermo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
DiegoCaldo
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sao Paulo
Posts: 47
Send a message via MSN to DiegoCaldo

DiegoCaldo's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by anangke View Post
I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.
You've killed alien babies in Dead Space and now complain about Limbo? WTF?
__________________
DiegoCaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
w4cky wiz4rd
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
I think it depends on how you interpret the game. If you take it as the boy is in "Limbo" then one could assume that he is already dead. Maybe that could ease your moral grief and allow you to experience one of the most creative and unique games, full retail or otherwise, to have been released this gen. If not well, I guess you could always just not play it.
w4cky wiz4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
W1tchHunter
 
W1tchHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 80
Send a message via MSN to W1tchHunter

Butterfly Bat's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by anangke View Post
I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.
Its a game wow i hate people who get all butt hurt about this stuff, the kid isnt real ok
__________________
W1tchHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
VocalAntagonist
 
VocalAntagonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26

VocalAntagonist's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by anangke View Post
I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.
But...you've earned the Dastardly achievement in Red Dead Redemption.
VocalAntagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #22
xduderx
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 64

xDUDERx's Gamercard
yea man, good point on the dastardly achievement
__________________
xduderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
L0cke89
 
L0cke89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 789
Send a message via ICQ to L0cke89 Send a message via MSN to L0cke89

L0cke89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
This is just part of the tale. They don't show it mocking the death. It's just more realistic and helps people immerse in the world. If you donÄt like the deaths, don't play further, because you won't like a certain puzzle (I won't spoiler but people who played the section know what I mean)

Sometimes media have to show it (And it's only a shadow) to get you more emotional involved in the game. I don't wanna go against your opinion, but sometimes people have just to calm the fuck down a bit.
__________________


1st on x360a to 200/200 Bastion and 400/400 THPS:HD
L0cke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
ITD Soldierboy
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 972

oO H3RO1C Oo's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by anangke View Post
I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.
Definition of Limbo:
1. ( often initial capital letter)Roman Catholic Theology . a region on the border of hell or heaven, serving as the abode after death of unbaptized infants (limbo of infants) and of the righteous who died before the coming of Christ (limbo of the fathers or limbo of the patriarchs).


2. a place or state of oblivion to which persons or things are regarded as being relegated when cast aside, forgotten, past, or out of date: My youthful hopes are in the limbo of lost dreams.


3. an intermediate, transitional, or midway state or place.


4. a place or state of imprisonment or confinement.



There are no niceties in Limbo. No rainbows or unicorns, no happy times. I think they did a perfect job and create a nice location for the meaning of Limbo.

I understand that you think it's violent, but not everything is pleasant in life or after death.... I'm not giving you grief, but to feel like it's disgusting when the name says everything is just idiotic with no research done before hand.
__________________



Join me on November 8th, 2011 in a friendly game of Battlefield 3 as we watch the threads pile up about how bad Modern Warfare 3 is and how millions still buy it!

October 25th - The day when a true online warfare gaming experience is released!
ITD Soldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #25
Der Nacho
 
Der Nacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 422

DER NACHO's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - TemporalWizard
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Man there are more than a few assholes in here... While I won't go as far to say I'm disgusted by the developers, and there may be more games out there with increased gore factor, gruesome violence against a child like character, without upbeat music, can be a little harder to stomach. It's obviously subjective or there wouldn't be so many people trying to convince him that it's not a big deal. The point is that there are more people in this room that are "butthurt" just because someone doesn't like the violence against a child or child-like figure.

And one more point. He's not a hypocrit just because he has the Dastardly achievement from Red Dead Redemption. Mainly because it's a Rockstar game. We know by now what to expect from a Rockstar game.

Bring it.
__________________
Der Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #26
ooTEXASoo
 
ooTEXASoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas - Texas
Posts: 23

ooTEXASoo's Gamercard
I haven’t looked at his gamer card...but if he has the dastardly achievement which a you all mentioned, there shouldn’t be any concern for disgusting or offensive. I haven’t played this YET, but my understanding is that it’s a shadow. I understand how it’s implied and suppose to be a boy. Pretty edgy, I agree. But, this society basically puts women and children in the same category. You here it all the time', "Save the woman and children", or "Let the woman and children go". So to say, this is bad taste or can’t believe it was published...You’re being hypocritical. You hogtied a woman, placed her on your horse, rode to the nearest railroad tracks, removed and placed her down on those tracks, waited for a train as she continually trys to remove herself, and watched the train approach. You get what I’m saying anangke?


Der Nacho, you say you know what to expect in RockStar games. What if you’re that first time player? Basically in the system we live in now, expect the unexpected in any video game. Who expected the Airport scene in MW2? And you said bring it’, it’s not a fight...it’s a forum with comments and opinions dude.

Last edited by ooTEXASoo; 07-21-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: add a comment
ooTEXASoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #27
Gottle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Gottle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Nacho View Post
And one more point. He's not a hypocrit just because he has the Dastardly achievement from Red Dead Redemption. Mainly because it's a Rockstar game. We know by now what to expect from a Rockstar game.
...are you joking?! What do you expect from a game called LIMBO, developed by PLAYDEAD?!?!

Don't be an asshole yourself.
__________________


Last edited by Gottle; 07-21-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Gottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #28
tripleb2k
 
tripleb2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,455

BobZombie3k's Gamercard

Awards Showcase GRID 2 Award   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
IF the main character was hanging the kids from trees or you saw that happen, I'd be incredibly offended. After games have asked you to tie a woman to the rail road tracks and see her ran over (Red Dead), fought unbaptized babies in hell (Dante's Inferno), save or kill little girls (Bioshock), run over multiple people without a second though (Grand Theft Auto), and use a nuke to kill innocent people (Fallout 3), this game isn't as offensive as it should be.
__________________




tripleb2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #29
Utako
 
Utako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 393

Le Benjo's Gamercard
Thumbs down

say no to drugs
why did i say that : you got 850 gamerscore on dead space your last game played
__________________
Utako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
SubtleSarcasm
 
SubtleSarcasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 44

SubtleSarcasm's Gamercard
It is not my intention to offend the OP per se, but I think that there is usually a bigger problem with someone that lets themselves be personally offended by certain words or images. You can like it or not like it, but for something artificial to bother you on such a level that it disgusts you and causes you to bash the creator, maybe you should look at yourself and figure out why you let things that are entirely insignificant and completely harmless get to you.
SubtleSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 AM.