PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Unreal Tournament 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Tufty

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Exclamation Warning: Do not buy!

EDIT: Buy it! I just got back into it, I'm having so much fun at the moment, too bad the storyline is so damn bad.

So, tonight I finished my last achievement on Gears of War 2 (2.0), so I thought I'd go on Unreal Tournament 3 to get some of the achievements. I was able to play this game for about 5 minutes before I stooped, it was so bad I couldn't bare to play it any more.

Bad Controls
This was one of the most annoying things about the game. The sensitivity for looking horizontal is really low, which makes it hard to follow your targets, but your vertical axis sensitivity is very high. This wouldn't be a problem if you could change the sensitivity for each axis separately, but guess what? You can't.

Boring Campaign
The story mode is so boring, it's a collection of multiplayer modes (Teamdeath match, Capture the flag, ect.), which gets very repetitive and very, very boring.

Worst Storyline ever put in a game?
The story line lingers in one spot for about 3 acts then all of a sudden *SPOILER* aliens come from nowhere and take over the earth.

It's too simple to make a F.La.G a flag!
There has to be a reason for everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! Take the 'Capture The Flag' game mode as an example. In Call of Duty the flag is a flag. In Halo 3 the flag is a flag. In Unreal Torunament is the flag a flag? Nah, Epic decided it would make more sense to make a flag an important component to keeping your 'respawner' powered. They even went as far to call it something stupid, a 'Field Latice Generator', you know, a FLAG.

Anyway, this annoyed me that Epic even dared to kill off the tradition fact that "the enemy just wants to steal your cloth on a pole", and replace it with "the enemy wants to steal your flag... because then our army will no longer be able to come back to life.

Dead Multiplayer
The one place this game was good was the multiplayer, which is a shame because not a single damn fucker plays this game any more. If you have a bunch of friends who want to play this and you're able to over look the other 'super, ultra, mega flaws' this game has, then by all means get it. If you want a better way to spend your $15, then buy Avatar: TLA. It too is crap, and you'll never play it once you max it out, but Avatar takes around 400 hours less to complete.

Last edited by Tufty; 08-04-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
why couldn't you post this a year ago...

I was a HUGE fan of Gears and my brother in law kept saying how awesoem this game was and it's "similar" to Gears.

Now my gut was telling me not to trust him (he likes Perfect Dark Zero), but I thought if it's half as good as Gears then I'll be all set.

BOY was a wrong. This game sucks donkey balls...everything posted above is SO TRUE. God I wish I could get the $26 I spent on this game.

Michigan Members Unite!
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
jines1284

jines1284's Gamercard
Most people whom have ever played a unreal tournament knew exactly what they were getting into. Im down to 3 achievements in this game that I should have this week. Ive beaten both gears and gears 2 and neither one of those completions are ever going to be attainable. 100,000 kills what a joke. And why would you waste a forum thread with this junk. If you dont like a game return it! Its people like you that keep people from getting decent knowledge from a forum, Same the helpful threads for something helpful.
jines1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
jines1284

jines1284's Gamercard
PS if you have 400 hours in this game you should choose a new genre of games, stick with avatar. That might be your skill level.

I have less than 30 and only 4 day from 50X200
jines1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Trikke

Trikke den 1e's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jines1284 View Post
PS if you have 400 hours in this game you should choose a new genre of games, stick with avatar. That might be your skill level.

First, the OP has fully completed Gears 2, which can't be said about you.
So, I wouldn't question his skill level if I were you.

Second, I'm glad someone posts this kind of information as the reviews aren't always clear on that matter. The information I got here is important to me, to carefully pick my next game to buy amongst all the other available on the market nowadays.

I agree the game is 'old' and so is the engine, but I know of other games released back in 2008 where you already had the possibility to set the X and Y-axis sensivity.

Last edited by Trikke; 07-26-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Trikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Tufty

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
^^Hi Trikke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jines1284 View Post

I love the way you think if someone doesn't like a game, they're automatically the worst gamer ever. The story line for this game sucks, the sensitivity problem isn't that bad, but it's still annoying.
Tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
mihai7645

Send a message via Yahoo to mihai7645

mihai7645's Gamercard
"De gustibus et coloribus, non disputandum"

Personally i like this game. I got it a year and a half ago and after all that time, i'm still enjoying it now.

I may not have all the skill to finish it by myself on insane and it may have all the flaws the OP said it does, but it's the only game i find that i relaxes me when i'm angry or had a bad day at the office....or just want to kill hundreds of hundreds of bots on a small map with a rocket launcher up close and personal.

I don't care the FLAG is not a FLAG or that the controls are not customizable in increments of mm or that the campaign is indeed boring and the storyline is dull or that the multiplayer is kinda dead (but you can always have a friend over)....i do think that they could've packed in a flamethrower, because i think the game has the "burning-people-with-monsters-and-cutting-them-in-half-itude"

In my opinion and only mine, i think the game is good at what it does and that's pure fun and personally that is what i want in a game: FUN.
mihai7645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Siegfried

Send a message via MSN to Siegfried

SiegfriedX's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I had this game for over a year with less than 500 gs on it.

Finally I decided to finish it once and for all, I'm already with 860 gs and can't say it was boring. Pretty fun game if you like the style, but if you don't... it's a hell of a LONG game to finish.

Siegfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
PinguDaPenguin

ZombiCrakPingu's Gamercard
I dont know why ppl hate this game. I love it. and the vehicles are so original. The original game is just an arena shooter and every game since then is focused on that so of course theres like a bad story.
PinguDaPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote