PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
xFortyseven

xFortyseven's Gamercard
so, did she do the right thing? [major ending spoilers]

I really can't decide. Of course enslaving people is wrong, but Pyramid gave them a life, hope and dreams. In the wasteland there's nothing left but deadly mechs and ruins.
Did she really do the right thing?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
eddywatson

T3ddy B4gW3LL's Gamercard
I was abit confused at the ending am i right in thinking this is correct...

The slavers picked up the people after the war and then put them suits and masks on them and then they lived a virtual life? full of good things? so they didnt have to put up with the bad memories from the war?

And then *SPOILER*..... Trip "unplugged" there virtual machine and they came back to reality?

Is that right? lol

If so it could open a way for a second version of the game
Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
xFortyseven

xFortyseven's Gamercard
yeah, i think that's it pretty much. Pyramid made them live in a world like ours today, instead of this wasteland that the world had become. And then Trip destroyed that illusion and brought them back to reality.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
LFC Alevop

LFC Alevop's Gamercard
I think she did the right thing. Those people cant live like that forever. They need to try and work to rebuild the world.

LFC Alevop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
TimespliTT

splittmark's Gamercard
what i dont understand is the wasteland WAS NOT RUN BY the pyramid right. yet there are slavers and locations. where are the humans where are the human bosses. (like when youre in the ship flying to the location and the guy comes on the radio. who are you, do you have clearance to fly hear.? that WAS A PERSON. yet all through the levels its robots. who are under a tree of command. who is in control? the pryamid guy(s) is isolated from the outside.

i liked the game and the story. even with the fish and birds and grass, it felt more desolated than fallout.

they better make a book detailing EVERYTHING that happened to this world beforehand

Last edited by TimespliTT; 10-24-2010 at 09:48 PM.
TimespliTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
ChinaWhiteII

China White II's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimespliTT View Post
what i dont understand is the wasteland WAS NOT RUN BY the pyramid right. yet there are slavers and locations. where are the humans where are the human bosses. (like when youre in the ship flying to the location and the guy comes on the radio. who are you, do you have clearance to fly hear.? that WAS A PERSON. yet all through the levels its robots. who are under a tree of command. who is in control? the pryamid guy(s) is isolated from the outside.

i liked the game and the story. even with the fish and birds and grass, it felt more desolated than fallout.

they better make a book detailing EVERYTHING that happened to this world beforehand
It is clearly explained at the end of the game why you hear a "human" voice despite this you still don't understand? At the start of the game you see humans who are doing jobs who are slaves working for the salver pyramid, the guy on the radio is exactly the same... a slave. He even says they have jobs they have marriages, not all in a virtual world as we clearly saw at the start of the game. They're being controlled by Robot mind similar to the matrix.

The wasteland isn't run by Pyramid no, the mechs there are left over from a previous war. The slavers come looking for Humans pick them up and then take them to Pyramid, but why tthey didn't take trips family and friends remained a mystery, but then it is a sadistic guy so...

Was it the right thing she did though? Yes it was, they made the point that trying to save the old life before the war was hurting the present world not saving it, when really they should be creating a new one. Plus the fact they weren't really free to do what they wanted is never a good thing.

There are lots of things they could do to make a new game, the people fixing up new york, other pyramids around the world other slaves need freeing etc.

Last edited by ChinaWhiteII; 10-25-2010 at 12:25 AM.
ChinaWhiteII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Brambledamble

Brambledamble's Gamercard
If you ask me, free will is always better.
And I would love to see a sequel where Monkey works together with the freed slaves to hunt down and kill all remaining war robots while at the same time they try to rebuild the world. Providing details from the war and putting a Skynet-like robot mastermind behind the scenes, this could make for an equally epic storyline.
100% Retail: Avatar, Lost, CSI, King Kong, TMNT, NBA 2K6, Cloudy, Saw, Night at the Museum 2, Quantum of Solace, Too Human, X-Blades, Sega Mega Drive UC, Terminator, Wolverine, Brütal Legend, Modern Warfare 2, Bayonetta, Halo: ODST, Transformers WfC, Blazblue CT, Dead Space, [PROTOTYPE], Halo Wars (1200), Halo 3 (1750), Gears of War 2 (1750), Fable 2 (1350), Borderlands (1750), Resident Evil 5 (1400), Splinter Cell (1250)
Brambledamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn
Banned User

gqxshadow's Gamercard
I have to say yes she did the right thing, they were slaves they were living a lie being a slave is not living its being imprisoned in a lie that does not exist who wants to live that kind of life, she freed them from the lie now the hard part is dealing with it once they awake from there dream state lol
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
FroZeNSouL

FroZeNSouL's Gamercard
To many open questions for me.
What was the war, was it between humans and mechs, who created them?
If like the AI guy said, and they are not slaves, why even call them slaves, and the ships 'slave ships'. Because even the AI over the intercom says this.
Also that guy over intercom to pigsys ship really doesnt sound anything like an AI.
Are the mechs under control by Piramid? Coz they sure look like they are protecting it, rather than sourounding it to destroy slaveships.

And how long has trip supposed to have been on that slave ship that her father has died of stavation!?

Please msg if working on:GTA4, GTA5, All GoW
FroZeNSouL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #10
MetalGearMax

MetalGearMax's Gamercard
they were pretty much plugged into the matrix, living out a life from the past while the world of today rots around them.
As Trip hinted, it's better to try and build a future then just relive the old days. Sure the world as been turned into a dump, but through unity they can rebuild a better tomorrow....

....though it's more than likely a future generation will just tear it down again.
MetalGearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
RuYi

Location: It's not the end of the world. But you can see it from here.

Westraid's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I think it was a good decision. The way I see it, they might be living a perfect illusion, but there's still this world. Why not make that one a little more perfect, for themselves, but maybe even more for the next generation?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
TimespliTT

splittmark's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaWhiteII View Post
It is clearly explained at the end of the game why you hear a "human" voice despite this you still don't understand? At the start of the game you see humans who are doing jobs who are slaves working for the salver pyramid, the guy on the radio is exactly the same... a slave. He even says they have jobs they have marriages, not all in a virtual world as we clearly saw at the start of the game. They're being controlled by Robot mind similar to the matrix.

The wasteland isn't run by Pyramid no, the mechs there are left over from a previous war. The slavers come looking for Humans pick them up and then take them to Pyramid, but why they didn't take trips family and friends remained a mystery, but then it is a sadistic guy so...

There are lots of things they could do to make a new game, the people fixing up new york, other pyramids around the world other slaves need freeing etc.
it takes me longer to understand things i'd need to see the ending again. i wasnt really paying attention fully to the end more than watching a guy talk and another guy type fast on a computer with plugs.

so were the people at the bottom in the pyramid in training for placement or something because they didnt look like they was doing anything but standing. when monkey put on that mask it sure didn't look like he wanted to "move"

how do you train these slaves to analyze the virtual vs the real since monkey was to entranced in the mask to respond to trip. you cant do a job and look at beautiful grass at the same time i guess the threat of termination/death answers that. but thats NOT something I'd like. I'd be to afraid of being killed by the pyramid to enjoy his mirage so in a sense this thing the pyramid calls good doesn't seem good at all

i hope in the next one that have communities. these slaves heading to the pyramid had to have come from somewhere. and if they have another pyramid id like to see controlled slavers doing its bidding!!?
TimespliTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #13
mosin360

mosin360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I say she did the right thing. As the game showed, humans have been able to carve out a life and prosper until the mechs come to get them. The game really could've added a backstory fully explained so we'd connect to the story more. I can easily see them making a second game and I hope they do.

Easily one of the best games I've played lately. If I had to QQ about something, it would be the heavy amount of platforming in the last couple levels.

Last goal met: 200k - Oct 6, 2013

mosin360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
swatnflyz
Banned User

She did the wrong thing, and she even knew it but what kills me is the fact that Monkey didn't seem to mind. In my opinion Pigsy was the hero of this game.
swatnflyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
acurate bob

Acurate Bob's Gamercard
It's was the right thing to do. I would rather live in a real shitty world, than live in a false nice world.

But many of the enslaved may not be able to remember the real world. They may have mentally "deleted" it from their memories. Or they may not be able to adjust.
100,000 - 19:50, 28/10/10. Apache Air Assault - Touchdown.

Most Proud 1000: Dead Space/The Saboteur
Most Depressing 1000: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
acurate bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #16
ohioman101

ohioman101's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroZeNSouL View Post
And how long has trip supposed to have been on that slave ship that her father has died of stavation!?
I might be wrong, but I took it that her father committed suicide. He didn't exactly look like he starved to death, the way he was positioned made it look like he shot himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimespliTT View Post
it takes me longer to understand things i'd need to see the ending again. i wasnt really paying attention fully to the end more than watching a guy talk and another guy type fast on a computer with plugs.

so were the people at the bottom in the pyramid in training for placement or something because they didnt look like they was doing anything but standing. when monkey put on that mask it sure didn't look like he wanted to "move"

how do you train these slaves to analyze the virtual vs the real since monkey was to entranced in the mask to respond to trip. you cant do a job and look at beautiful grass at the same time i guess the threat of termination/death answers that. but thats NOT something I'd like. I'd be to afraid of being killed by the pyramid to enjoy his mirage so in a sense this thing the pyramid calls good doesn't seem good at all
The whole thing with the ending is that Pyramid took the memories of a person (the guy talking) and essentially used it to recreate Earth from the past. The people with the masks on were living in that world, as though the war with the mechs never happened. They are living normal lives, and that's what Pyramid wanted. It didn't want people to have to live in a Wasteland, but in a world where they can have jobs, families, etc.

OT: I think Trip did do the right thing. I know I wouldn't want to live in a dream my whole life, no matter how crappy the real world is. However, I think Pyramid had a good intention, but just went about doing it the wrong way.

ohioman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:32 AM   #17
OptimusPrime76

KnightFall 539's Gamercard
I thought the ending was a bit of a cop out to be honest, just felt like a rip off of the matrix.

I know that andy serkis voiced monkey so when I first saw the images when I was collecting the masks and saw andy serkis I was expecting the images to be linked to monkeys past life or something sobwas expecting a different ending.

Plus I never understood what happened to trips village, was it simply destroyed by a mech attack? It was implied the slavers killed them so if they were rescuing them why kill them? This would have been a great bit of dlc, to discover exactly what happened to them.

Despite all the above I absolutely loved the game. Good overall story (despite my thoughts on the ending), lovely graphics depicting a wonderful post apocalyptic world, great characters and voice acting and some satisfying platform and combat action.

I loved monkey magic the tv series as a kid and this was a great alternative take on these much loved characters.

Last edited by OptimusPrime76; 12-19-2010 at 02:57 AM.
OptimusPrime76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
SpinelesS

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I think she did the right thing at the end, its causing the ship to crash killing almost everyone on it at the start of the game that I think was wrong.

A virtual world, no matter how detailed is stagnant. without real world testing, technology wouldnt advance. Without that posibility life truely is pointless.

As for the mech's, they were a tool of the old world. Some of the current Mech's are controlled by the Pyramid like they originally would have been, and Some are probably still running on their old orders of Killing the enemy, defending a position, etc.

as for the "slave ship" at the start, that could simply be a refering to the ship being slaved to a central control (pyramid)

EDIT: though that doesn't really explain the "affirmative slave 949" bit you hear shortly after it, or the grading of slaves etc. Though that does bring up another question. Why is monkey called a prisoner, and not a slave? just because he isn't wearing a headband at the time?

Maybe there is more than 1 slaver faction...

Last edited by SpinelesS; 12-24-2010 at 12:04 PM.
SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
F Swan

Ferocious Swan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime76 View Post

Plus I never understood what happened to trips village, was it simply destroyed by a mech attack? It was implied the slavers killed them so if they were rescuing them why kill them? This would have been a great bit of dlc, to discover exactly what happened to them.
Perhaps because the villagers didn't surrender that they were killed for fighting back? Maybe some of them were taken to be slaves.
I guess the mechs if attacked would just attack until the target is dead, no surrender possible if fired upon.
There is alot of unanswered questions I think, although I really enjoyed the story.
I'm not even sure if I think she did the right thing, initially I thought she did wrong, not so sure now.
F Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #20
Tsukasa117

Tsukasa117's Gamercard
It was a matter of living the lie or suffering the reality in all honesty this threw me back to the Matrix when it happened. My opinion if she did the right thing yes, should she of made the decision for all those thousands(possibly millions) of others no. In the end its there decision whether they can face the reality or not and those who cant well...you all know were I'm going with this.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
TJP

Trip made the correct decision. Who wants to live a life where dreams replace reality? What kind of life is that to stand around living through the memories of others?

Don't forget these people were hunted down and rounded up against their will, graded whilst being processed (think back to the opening chapter where the higher grade slaves are asked to move. We never find out what the grading means, sadly). Those who did not submit to this new life are killed.

TJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #22
Fusirion

Fusirion's Gamercard
Myeah I guess she did the right thing. But I wonder if the slaves reallyw ant to live in a world like that at all. But at least there is hope for rebuilding now. She couldhave at least let monkey make up it's mind first though haha.

it's beautifull.. wait what bluescreen?

Bazinga
Fusirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #23
maur1c1o

s1mple maur1c1o's Gamercard
I really enjoyed the game i thought the story could have had more it was too short and basic hopel theres will be a number 2 i personally loved the game and gameplay loved the cloud so reallly looking forward to a second one they have loads of possibilities they can go back to the past or the second can be about taking down the mechs finding the leader or something or like posted before free more slaves personally they need to have a better storyteller and have some twist add a couple of new fighting moves and some cool new mech and the second will be amazing it also needs to be a bit longer and no collecting freaken orbs lol
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
Gamma

Gamma621's Gamercard
A lot of the story is left to the player's imagination, and this is what I came up with.

The war was a world war between humans, and the mechs were simply a tool of that war. After the humans finished killing each other to near extinction, and leaving the world in ruins, the mechs were simply left over without anyone to take commands from. It's like Monkey said, "Killing is all they know." However, some of the mechs, like the ones on the slave ship, are under Pyramid's control, and Pyramid uses those mechs to maintain control. So while the mechs in New York are simply mindless killers, the ones on board the Leviathan are there as security.

As for the humans on board the slave ships, Pyramid clearly states that they have jobs. I'm assuming people don't just always stand around staring into space. They still have to eat after all. Maybe the headbands are able to blend the virtual world with the real one so the humans can perform their work without even realizing anything is different. I'm still not sure why they're call slaves though or what the grading system means. You would have to think like an AI and use their logic though. Perhaps a person's behavior inside the virtual world determines how expendable they become in the real world. The A-Grade slaves are like the virtual world's VIPs. That's why A-Grade slaves were sent to escape pods, while B-Grade slaves were left to die.

Now on to the reason why Trip's village was wiped out. It's stated that the slaver ships fly all over the world searching for people to bring back to Pyramid. Most people would probably allow themselves to be captured instead of facing death at the hands of the mechs. I'm thinking that Trip's community didn't want to go. They were perfectly happy in their village, and were willing to fight to protect it. Once again you have to think like an AI, and see everything as black and white, or 1s and 0s. Any show of resistance from the humans would probably be seen as a threat to Pyramid's safety, and it would sooner eliminate the problem rather than risk an uprising. Sacrifice the few for the good of the many as it were.

Now on to the main question of the day. Did Trip do the right thing by destroying Pyramid? Honestly, no I don't think it was right, and I think it was rather selfish. She was thinking more about revenge than what everyone else would have wanted. Even though most people probably didn't come into the virtual world willingly, I bet quite a few of them were much happier once they got there. Hell, even Monkey looked like he was about to lose himself in it before Trip went human wrecking ball on the old man. She had no right to make that decision for everyone else. While Pyramid obviously had no right to do what they were doing either, I think people should have at least been given the choice of staying in the virtual world, or trying to build a future in the real world.

And also check out Punching Distance Gaming for more!
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 AM   #25
Yaymez

Yaymez's Gamercard
Pyramid was full of good intentions and at the time, when the robots were at their peak of dominance, it was a perfect haven for humans.

However.

These humans were not just being plugged in, they were being used as slaves to man the slaver ships and so forth. We all saw the price paid for disobedience. No choice was given to any of these people.

If you look at the areas which did not have heavy mech presence you have a lush green paradise full of animals to hunt and eat, fruit and vegetables to consume and a clean environment to live in.

I would say she did all of the people in that structure and all of the people that were being used as pawns to facilitate bringing more into pyramid a massive favour.

Regardless of how utopian their mind-controlled lives were, they were still slaves.

Retail 100%

Dragon Age:Origins + DLC, KoA:Reckoning, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 3 + DLC, Assassins Creed, Assassins Creed II + DLC, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Lego Pirates, Dead Space, Dead Space 2 + DLC, Majin & the Forsaken Kingdom

Arcade 100%
Stacking, Beyond Good & Evil HD, Deathspank, Deathspank: T.O.V, Banjo Kazooie.
Yaymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #26
maur1c1o

s1mple maur1c1o's Gamercard
Like yaymez pointed out she definitly did the right thing.

You are just a slave with the heaadband on theres no choices and if you disobeyed an order then the headband will kill you, so you don't have freedom you are doing what pyramid wants or trip in monkey's case LOL therefore how can a person be happy. So yeah she definitly did the right thing and its definitly a game where you need to fill in the story to your own imagination personally i loved it that wished there was more to the story it was too short
Old 01-23-2011, 03:06 AM   #27
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
You can't just live in a fantasy world forever (funny coming from a guy that spends every free minute of his day playing videogames.) It's good to have hopes and dreams and it's alright to occasionally have a means of escaping, but what good are those dreams if you can never attempt to fulfill them. There's an entire army of humans out there, included one very powerful human named Monkey, ready to take back Earth from the mechs one city at a time and to begin rebuilding civilization from the ground up.

Trip is proof that computers and technology in general aren't an extinct practice, so there's no reason why they wouldn't be able to return to a lifestyle similar to what we have in real-life. The miles and miles of mech shrapnel could be melted down and used in the construction of new and superior buildings to the concrete jungle that inhabits the first half of the game. All it takes is a leader willing to stand up and lead the masses to making a brighter future for the generations in decades to come.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #28
Neverender

Deadpool x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Neverender   Over Achiever - Silver   x360a Representer   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   Bright Idea   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I think she did the right thing. Everyone there was a slave in some context. The mere fact that the Pyramid guy referred to them as slaves should give an indication that they were doing something against their will.

And abducting (or possibly killing based on Trip's village, but that might have been the rogue mechs) people to join their utopia? I don't know about you, but that just seems wrong. If someone doesn't want to be a part of your society, they shouldn't be shoved into it and forced to join, no matter how great you think it is.

Another point: The Pyramid was just a virtual reality. If everyone stayed in their little virtual reality world, the Pyramid would be overrun eventually. Sure, they have defenses, but the Leviathan annihilated their defense system. That leaves them wide open for an attack, and even if they do rebuild their defenses, something else will come along to destroy it eventually, and they'll all die. You could enlist the slaves to fight, but then you're making them fight for a cause they don't believe in or may not even know exists. And in the meantime, the real world will rot. Does that really sound like utopia? Is that really a life you'd want to live?

Furthermore, what would happen when the Pyramid leader died? The world would be devastated, and these slaves would have no idea what to do, where they were, or what reality was. The future of any human civilization would be riding on one man's back, and he's using it to coerce people into a virtual reality, full of empty promises and white lies.

Then, there's the most blatant problem, that you're depriving people of their lives. Freedom is a basic human right, and it's being sucked into a virtual program. If it was voluntary there wouldn't be a problem, but it's obviously not, so there is.

To me, it's just an example of failed utilitarianism. The idea looks great on paper, but when it's tried it fails miserably, like what you saw in the game.

My Staff Club

Neverender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #29
Mr Popek

Mr Popek's Gamercard
I liked the ending. Pyramid was created for people to live in a "dream", like in Matrix...

I hope they make 2nd part, i loved this game and i hope they explain more about the world and how pyramid created the robots or who...
Mr Popek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #30
Gamma

Gamma621's Gamercard
I agree that Pyramid was wrong for forcing those people into the virtual reality. However, doesn't that mean that Trip is also wrong for forcing them out of it? I believe that freedom is all about choice, and I believe that each and every one of those slaves should have been allowed to choose if they wanted to stay in the virtual world, or leave and face the real world.

You have to imagine what's awaiting them in the real world. The population of the Earth has been reduced to 50,000. How many of those people would die in the war to exterminate the mechs? And exterminating the mechs might not even be possible since it's stated that they can self replicate. And how many more of those people would die of thirst and starvation? The game implies that food and drinkable water is not exactly easy to come by. Trip's village was able to provide for themselves, but like Trip said, they were a closed ecosystem with very few people.

If people want to spend their lives trying to bring the world back from the brink of extinction, then more power to them. However, the sad truth is that the world may be too far gone to save. If this was the case, wouldn't you rather live in a lie rather than in a world without hope? At least then you might be able to find a little happiness and meaning for your life instead of wandering the wastelands waiting for the end.

So like I said before, I don't believe that Trip had the right to make that decision for all those people.

And also check out Punching Distance Gaming for more!
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote