Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
KillerChris8814

KillerChris8814's Gamercard
Want someone not involved opinion

Okay I'm on the sports board in the wrestling thread and say I like wrestling but don't think it's a sport and then get bitched at constantly. It's not like I sat there and said how wrestling was horrible and all wrestlers should die or anything, really does anyone see anything really wrong with my original comment. I admit to being an ass after I got bitched at for a while, I just can't see the problem with my original comment.
KillerChris8814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Tyrion619
Banned User

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Wrestling IS a sport.

WWE is NOT a sport. It's just a form of entertainment. Even they recognize that. That's why they changed from WWF to WWE...the "E" stands for "Entertainment".

Problem here is that most WWE fans already know this (if they don't, they need to re-evaluate their lives).

Your best bet is to let it go and forget about it.

If you like wrestling, then talk about something relevant to those interests. Otherwise, don't say shit.

Last edited by Tyrion619; 02-20-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Tyrion619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
KillerChris8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der8180 View Post
Wrestling IS a sport.

WWE is NOT a sport. It's just a form of entertainment. Even they recognize that. That's why they changed from WWF to WWE...the "E" stands for "Entertainment".

Problem here is that most WWE fans already know this (if they don't, they need to re-evaluate their lives).

If you like wrestling, then talk about something relevant to those interests. Otherwise, don't say shit.
Sorry I wasn't 100% clear I meant WWE not Greco Roman and Freestyle, I pointed this out, saying Pro Wrestling would be a sport when it was in the olympics. My statement was more about where the thread was placed, not that I had a problem just stating my opinion. Thanks for your input though. I don't have a problem with being disagreed with, if you do fine, give me a reason, you know, don't just say "FUCK U YOUR A IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by KillerChris8814; 02-20-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Auburok

Send a message via Skype™ to Auburok

auburok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Wrestling IS a sport.

WWE was sued by the World Wildlife Fund, and basically settled by changing to WWE on their own. It had nothing to do with their own realization that it's not wrestling, because they still masquerade as "wrestling" and not "entertainment". Many fans do think it's actual wrestling still, which I discovered unfortunately first hand.

Auburok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Chaosx721

ChaosX217's Gamercard

Quote:
That is not way they changed it from WWF to WWE. There was a lawsuit by The World Wide Fund for Nature because it used the WWF initials, so they changed it to WWE to avoid the lawsuit.

EDIT: Also what Aburok said, because I type too slow sometimes >_<
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Mr Bungle
Banned User

As previous posters say: Wrestling = SPORT, WWE = NOT A SPORT!
Mr Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
guillermo316

Fantasychampion's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
WWE is a sport because they sweat like in any sport.
guillermo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Auburok

auburok's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermo316 View Post
Just because they sweat...?

I guess lying in the hot sun is a sport, then, too. Or perhaps sweating bullets over a deadline. My favorite sport is holding a controller too tightly.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Mr Bungle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburok View Post
My favorite sport is holding a controller too tightly.
Ha. Sir, that line has made my day!
Mr Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
RichXbox360
Banned User

RICHYALLEN's Gamercard
TNA is also NOT a sport, hence why here in the UK it's shown on a channel dominated by game shows.
RichXbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
CovertDog

covertdog's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - CovertDog   2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Pro wrestling isn't a sport, but that doesn't mean they aren't athletes. The are as much athletes as anyone playing any other pro sport.

Space for rent.

CovertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Skepsis93

Send a message via MSN to Skepsis93

Skepsis93's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
No, it's not sport. Sport is competitive. Wrestling's outcome is pre-defined.

Skepsis93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
RichXbox360
Banned User

RICHYALLEN's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertDog View Post
Pro wrestling isn't a sport, but that doesn't mean they aren't athletes. The are as much athletes as anyone playing any other pro sport.
My Bolds.

Contradict yourself much?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
duff28

duff28's Gamercard
WWE isnt a sport, its just a bunch of buffed up actors putting on a show for an audience (like a theater)

Obviously greco roman and other types of wrestling are real and they are well respected forms of athletics.

If you watch WWE and like it then i would recommend putting some UFC on and see what you think of real fighting.
duff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
RichXbox360
Banned User

RICHYALLEN's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff28 View Post
WWE isnt a sport, its just a bunch of buffed up actors putting on a show for an audience (like a theater)

Obviously greco roman and other types of wrestling are real and they are well respected forms of athletics.

If you watch WWE and like it then i would recommend putting some UFC on and see what you think of real fighting.
UFC = real fighting? What the actual fuck? UFC is even more "fake" than WWE has ever been and ever will be.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
Sampson

Quote:
You saying that if you sweat while doing anything then it's a sport? Some gamers sweat while gaming but casual gaming is not a sport!

"Everyone is entitled to their own sorrow, for the
heart has no metrics or form of measure. And all of
it... irreplaceable."

Thanks to Rajeanero for the excellent signature!
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
duff28

duff28's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichXbox360 View Post
UFC = real fighting? What the actual fuck? UFC is even more "fake" than WWE has ever been and ever will be.
HAHAHA Thats funny, i was just making a point. If you believe that WWE "TABLE SLAM SWANTON BOMBS" are real then who am i to tell you otherwise?

And if you think that MMA isnt real then why dont you take it up and find out

Many thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
i NatrlKilla i

Killa x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   x360a Representer   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerChris8814 View Post
Okay I'm on the sports board in the wrestling thread and say I like wrestling but don't think it's a sport and then get bitched at constantly. It's not like I sat there and said how wrestling was horrible and all wrestlers should die or anything, really does anyone see anything really wrong with my original comment. I admit to being an ass after I got bitched at for a while, I just can't see the problem with my original comment.
Your original comment was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerChris8814 View Post
Just felt the need to point out pro wrestling isn't a sport it's entertainment and I like it, but anything with a scripted outcome isn't a real sport.
It comes across like you think we're stupid because the thread is in the sport's section, but it's probably safe to say that everyone in that thread already knows it's not a sport.

@duff28 I watch WWE and like it. I also watch UFC, and think it's good. I like it just as much as WWE, but just because I like one, doesn't mean I cant like the other.

Black Ops Multiplayer Updates Here

i NatrlKilla i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
You just confirmed my theory that you are indeed actually retarded.

On topic though, I agree with what Covert said, it's entertainment but they are still most definitely athletes.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
EliteShadowMan

EliteShadowMan's Gamercard

Quote:
HAHAHA you got to be joking me! Omg this is going in my sig, since that's got to be the dumbest thing i've ever heard. You just confirmed to me that your IQ is probably pretty low.
EliteShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
duff28

duff28's Gamercard
HAHA thats exactly what i did, Thats probably the funniest quote i have seen on this website
Old 02-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
HAHA thats exactly what i did, Thats probably the funniest quote i have seen on this website
LOL! Three of us already have it in our signatures...that is just fantastic
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
BLanKSteRR

BLanKSteRR's Gamercard
UFC is the definition of real fighting.
BLanKSteRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
EliteShadowMan

EliteShadowMan's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
LOL! Three of us already have it in our signatures...that is just fantastic
lmao. Nice use of two quotes to make him seem like he's asking himself if he's retarded
EliteShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #25
duff28

duff28's Gamercard
Yeah i think he deserves the attention after that quote. We're so cool lol
Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #26
Capn Doug
Community Completionist

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 47 (more» ...)
Even most "Pro" Wrestlers don't call themselves athletes. They put themselves in the same category as stuntmen, they are performing acts that will likely get them injured in some way, shape or form, and may even result in death. However, the moves and results are all choregraphed like a ballet or Backstreet Boys concert.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
You saying that if you sweat while doing anything then it's a sport? Some gamers sweat while gaming but casual gaming is not a sport!
Not much I can add there. See two other above for two other non-sports that work up a sweat.

Quote:
UFC and Boxing are in a different category from WWE. They are in the category of "Rigged," not "Choreographed." UFC chooses matches based on entertainment value, and awards titles the same way. The "best MMA welterweight" will not necessarily be the belt holder (or whatever they award), since the match up is chosen not based on putting the two best up against each other, but the two people that will provide an entertaining bout that will last for a few rounds. It has been established that you can lose badly and keep your UFC contract, but if you lose a close but boring fight, you get fired. It is not fake (nor is WWE, for that matter), but it is controlled to a large extent.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #27
duff28

duff28's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post

UFC and Boxing are in a different category from WWE. They are in the category of "Rigged," not "Choreographed." UFC chooses matches based on entertainment value, and awards titles the same way. The "best MMA welterweight" will not necessarily be the belt holder (or whatever they award), since the match up is chosen not based on putting the two best up against each other, but the two people that will provide an entertaining bout that will last for a few rounds. It has been established that you can lose badly and keep your UFC contract, but if you lose a close but boring fight, you get fired. It is not fake (nor is WWE, for that matter), but it is controlled to a large extent.
See now i can understand what you are saying but when you say "rigged" you basically mean that the fights are put together on a fightcard based on what match-up would be the most entertaining.

That is partially true, but for a title fight there would be a fight between 2 challengers to determine who would fight the title defender.

The main point was that in MMA you get punched in the face with a real fist but in WWE it is all acting and not real fighting.

So nobody is contesting that the match-ups arent chosen by the higher powers, but the actual "combat" is real in MMA and it is not in WWE.

Also i would just like to point out that the UFC does not "Award titles based on entertainment value", that is only the WWE.

Example:- WWE's Kane becoming WWE champion because he is popular

:- UFC's Shogun Rua being UFC light heavyweight champion because he is hard as fucking nails, and gave somebody a good pasting to have the title

Not busting balls but thats my opinion and thats also the truth
Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #28
KillerChris8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertDog View Post
I wasn't saying they aren't athletes all I meant is it was a tv show not a sport. I actually think they're very good athletes to be honest.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #29
amistoned

amistoned's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
Sport1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.

3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.

5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.

6. an object of derision; laughingstock.

7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.

8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.

9. a sportsman.

10. Informal . a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.

11. Informal . a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.

12. Informal . a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.

13. Biology . an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.

14. Obsolete . amorous dalliance.

Im on the border, but i know a few people that STILL TO THIS DAY think its real.

As definition 1 stated, the do have physical prowess and skill...
BTW, i cant stand pro wrestling personally.OR UFC.
Fallout 3(1550)
http://www.tweeks-rc-land.com
amistoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #30
Auburok

auburok's Gamercard

Quote:
Not busting balls but thats my opinion and thats also the truth
I agree with you, however:

It's poor practice to equate your opinion with truth. Opinions are like a scientific hypothesis and lack hard facts; they only gather influence from circumstances, which individual reaction to is far from the truth.