PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Simulation > Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Acrid Placidity
Banned User

Tips for MG only award

If you're having troubles with this like I was on Mission 9, I'll try to help you out here with some pointers.

- Do this on normal. It shouldn't take more than 6 bullets to destroy it.

- Once everything else is destroyed that is destroyable, lock onto the cockpit and begin firing your machine gun. Watch where your bullets are going in the top left camera in your HUD as it is zoomed directly onto where you need to hit.

- It can be hit from flying directly into it, but it is easier to attack downwards from above the cockpit at an angle, flying in the same direction as it, because the airships cockpit is angled.

- Remember to use the green circle with the dot in the middle of it that comes up, and not the W, as the green dot tells you where your bullets are going to hit when attacking a moving target.

- As far as I know, you cannot be hit by the cruise missiles when they are launched. Only by their explosions which you do not need to worry about if you stay fairly close to the airship.

- There are homing rockets that you cannot destroy (2-4 on top I believe and 2 underneath), if you stay above the ship they will almost never hit you because you're moving forward. And on normal they can't lock very well or turn sharply upwards (or in any direction). The two underneath should pose no threat if you stay above your target.

- If you get damaged fly back out of the area and come back in to regain your health. You shouldn't attempt the MG only and 0% damage in one play anyways. There is no achievement for it, so unless you're going for some sort of personal record I wouldn't attempt both of these at once.

- It is very hard to hit the cockpit with the MG as it is quite small and your bullets must be precise. When you do hit it, it will tell you. And there is a health bar for it under the top left camera in the HUD. So even though it might look like every one of your bullets is making contact, if you aren't hitting it, you aren't hitting it.

I realise these are fairly straight forward procedure, but it's always good for someone to be able to read these things in case they feel they are missing something. I've only seen one other post in one thread on gamespot.com relating to this award so I figured I'd post one up here. If I think of anything else I'll add it to this post.

As for the rest of the game. Just use your ESM a lot and try to only do the ground target missions as it's easier to hit a slow or non-moving target than it is to clip an F-22 or an SU-33 with a few bullets.

Last edited by Acrid Placidity; 01-04-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Acrid Placidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
BERZERKER666666

BERZERKER666666's Gamercard
Bloodyy....Helll Someones been doing their homework :P! Well at least now I can Try and get the medal for Only using Machine guns. Yet another thank you to you!
BERZERKER666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
ZeGlobox

ZeGlobox's Gamercard
man that's hard !!
thanks, i'll try this method (been trying for 3hours !! no sucess :-( )
ZeGlobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
vhayste

Send a message via MSN to vhayste

paul vhayste's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Yes, try it on Normal. I finished it in hard and damn... I just could not forget that frustration...

Great tips for those still aiming to get the MG medal.

http://vhayste.blogspot.com
Ah... Firefox and Adblock. Great combination.
vhayste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
ZeGlobox

ZeGlobox's Gamercard
well tried again (in normal mode) ... spent 2 hours trying to hit that f$#%ing cockpit... Only hit it once (by chance)...
I give up, that gameplay is just NOT FUN (games are supposed to be fun... 5 hours trying to nail ONE target, it's just silly)...
Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Acrid Placidity
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGlobox View Post
well tried again (in normal mode) ... spent 2 hours trying to hit that f$#%ing cockpit... Only hit it once (by chance)...
I give up, that gameplay is just NOT FUN (games are supposed to be fun... 5 hours trying to nail ONE target, it's just silly)...
Then don't go for the medals. The game is really fun
Old 01-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Soldier 4 I AM

Soldier 4 I AM's Gamercard
Thank you for your post Acrid . I just beat Mission 9 with the A-10. Thank you so much for your tips.

GT: Soldier 4 I AM

1000:
200+ Retail Completed

Last edited by Soldier 4 I AM; 01-27-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Soldier 4 I AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Acrid Placidity
Banned User

No problem, man. I'm here to help!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
ZeGlobox

ZeGlobox's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrid Placidity View Post
Then don't go for the medals. The game is really fun
I did enjoy the game... I did the campaign a lot of times and it was indeed fun... Beside online achievements, all I need to complete the offline achievements is that 'all medals'... But without MG only campaign.. I can't...

I tried once again.. Well I have to face the reality.. I'm just not good enough.. in 2 hours, I couldn't hit the cockpit a single time !

The thing is that when I face the cockpit.. since the plane's moving forward, I only have like a few seconds to shoot... And when the green circle appears, It's already too late to adjust anything.. the plane passes by me...(Yeah.. obviously, I've slowed down as much as possible, but it's still too fast)...
I tried different angles.. mostly from below... looked at the HUD to check where my bullets are going... Usually I manage to see them in the HUD. but that's it...

... kinda depressing :-(
Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
Darth Cuda

Darth Cuda's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Which plane is best to use for the Machine gun medal (if there is one) that is good for all levels?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
raixen

hootieblowfish's Gamercard
Use the A-10, although you're going to have to adjust your aim when firing.
raixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #12
PG_MaxPayne

MaxPayne2004's Gamercard
Beating it with only the MG is next on my to do list after beating it with only Attack aircraft.

Then a blazing run through on normal without taking any damage and S ranking all Ace missions and I'll be good to go.
PG_MaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #13
Sprostini

Sprostini's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_MaxPayne View Post
Beating it with only the MG is next on my to do list after beating it with only Attack aircraft.

Then a blazing run through on normal without taking any damage and S ranking all Ace missions and I'll be good to go.
Do attack craft and MG award at the same time. Works like a treat, good manouverability and durability so you can take a few knocks and still get it

Micrsoft Speech recognition: I was trying to say "stop listening" - apparently I said:

"Finding years urine standalone slightly your mind a cough and the rhythm that a lack the the had already put reach them away for a your mother had died in April to December 9 of January structure last finding foreign cough up"
Sprostini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #14
Li85

Li85's Gamercard
any1 kn any video for MS at mission 9 on this i try it for around 9-10 hrs total since i read this but can get it, maybe if i see how other ppl doin it i can make it.
Li85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
penny stacks

After about 5 pain-staking days trying to pull this off, I used the A-10 t-bolt. Flys almost like a helicopter plus machine gun is symmetrical (nose mounted, which makes aiming without the riticule alot easier). When just the Aigon's cockpit is left, fly ahead of it enough to G-turn andf flip your plane around so you are Above/in Front of it and descending toward the cockpit, aim for the middle black bar (cockpit). Also as a side note, try using your missle lock-on (without firing of course) to get the target diamond exactly where you need to shoot, may take 3 to 4 runs to fully deplete the cockpit's damage bar.
Best of Luck.
penny stacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
SithFloor

SithFloor's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrid Placidity View Post
If you're having troubles with this like I was on Mission 9, I'll try to help you out here with some pointers.

- Do this on normal. It shouldn't take more than 6 bullets to destroy it.

- Once everything else is destroyed that is destroyable, lock onto the cockpit and begin firing your machine gun. Watch where your bullets are going in the top left camera in your HUD as it is zoomed directly onto where you need to hit.

- It can be hit from flying directly into it, but it is easier to attack downwards from above the cockpit at an angle, flying in the same direction as it, because the airships cockpit is angled.

- Remember to use the green circle with the dot in the middle of it that comes up, and not the W, as the green dot tells you where your bullets are going to hit when attacking a moving target.

- As far as I know, you cannot be hit by the cruise missiles when they are launched. Only by their explosions which you do not need to worry about if you stay fairly close to the airship.

- There are homing rockets that you cannot destroy (2-4 on top I believe and 2 underneath), if you stay above the ship they will almost never hit you because you're moving forward. And on normal they can't lock very well or turn sharply upwards (or in any direction). The two underneath should pose no threat if you stay above your target.

- If you get damaged fly back out of the area and come back in to regain your health. You shouldn't attempt the MG only and 0% damage in one play anyways. There is no achievement for it, so unless you're going for some sort of personal record I wouldn't attempt both of these at once.

- It is very hard to hit the cockpit with the MG as it is quite small and your bullets must be precise. When you do hit it, it will tell you. And there is a health bar for it under the top left camera in the HUD. So even though it might look like every one of your bullets is making contact, if you aren't hitting it, you aren't hitting it.

I realise these are fairly straight forward procedure, but it's always good for someone to be able to read these things in case they feel they are missing something. I've only seen one other post in one thread on gamespot.com relating to this award so I figured I'd post one up here. If I think of anything else I'll add it to this post.

As for the rest of the game. Just use your ESM a lot and try to only do the ground target missions as it's easier to hit a slow or non-moving target than it is to clip an F-22 or an SU-33 with a few bullets.
Finally, I got this damn level passed. A-10 IS the plane to use. I tried just about every other one from every possible angle with no luck.

Here's how I managed it.

Destroy everything, obviously, then when only the cockpit is left come in from behind and slightly to the right and about 100-200 feet above the Aigaion ship.

I did not use the afterburner when I got close enough to missile range.

Then after the Aigaion shoots these pesky rockets out, maneuver yourself inline to pass right over the ship at the 100-200 foot mark and fly level.

Start shooting the MG as soon as you want to get a feel for the trajectory of the bullets.

The A-10 is perfect because the bullets come straight out of the nose and arc down just enough to get into the cockpit.

It took me 1 pass to completely destroy the cockpit.

Coming in 100-200 feet above the Aigaion gives you enough room to slightly adjust your stream of bullets to find the cockpit as you move closer up on it.

I had about 40% damage coming up on my run and got hit by on of those rockets or Shamrock flew into me and was ok.

Good luck.
SithFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #17
mikeshalo

Smile

The F15 worked really well for me, I just flew straight at the cockpit and shot the direct center of the target.
mikeshalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
PhilKill

PhilKill's Gamercard
I DID IT! Used the A10. Came in directly from the front at 15000 Altitude. Ignored the missiles coming at me, just kept the trigger squeezed at the exact centre of the cockpit and WHAM!!!

Last edited by PhilKill; 02-17-2010 at 04:28 PM.
PhilKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
Ronin Oishi

Ronin Oishi's Gamercard
Used porpoising tactic with A-10 of coming in about 315knts from slightly low behind center. Tough angle for missiles so didn't bother me except for the beeping. Then popped up through the split opening of the aft section about 1000 feet above Aigaion. After auto pilot to level and center, shallow dive machine gunning target. Very important not to rush and stay shallow descent until you are almost over target then dive down to walk the bullets into the cockpit. Fly past cockpit then immediately dive roll 180 and head back beneath Aigaion to repeat. Do not dilly dally in front of Aigaion or you will be missile killed by the forward missiles.

First pass took out 1/3 of cockpit. Second pass rushed it, got off centered and missed. Third pass stayed patient with a slightly more than shallow dive and slowly walked the bullets up to the cockpit. BAM mission complete.

Tried this with Tornado earlier and the gun just did not stream like the A-10 which was more helpful.

Anyway having a more difficult time with weapons of mass destruction using A-10 due to number of targets and time pressure. Hopefully Missions 13-15 won't take that long. Going for 3 medals on this run of 200 aircraft machine gunned, Attacker aircraft, and 100% Machine Gunning during campaign.

Last edited by Ronin Oishi; 04-26-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Ronin Oishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #20
count23

count023's Gamercard
On normal, with an F117, I strafed the cockpit area from above and behind, took one volley to take the thing out (I think the splash damage from the MG killed the cockpit), but as long as you're close and aim for that grey panel directly behind the cockpit window, you'll easily rip it to shreds.

I tried all the other approaches, flying into it, flying above it, etc... coming in from behind and above took 1 pass on the first try to kill the Aigiaon.
count23 is offline   Reply With Quote