PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Moon Diver
Subscribe    Donate

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Taiyz

Taiyz's Gamercard
Achievement Guide and Road Map

Hey! There's a companion thread for this achievement guide! Look for links underlined in blue! Links in the guide itself go straight to the relevant post in the thread.

Under Construction:
My guides are not yet complete, but I will finish them someday. Please don't send me any PMs; I'll be paying attention to the threads posted in this sub-forum.
Notably, I have a few assumptions at the moment, but you can view my ponderings and things that I'll be testing in the coming days over in the companion thread.

COPYRIGHT/RIGHTS OF USE:
This guide may not be used without written permission by either the author or website admins. This guide has been put together for x360a and should not be used without permission.

Feel free to ask questions about the game in this thread, and I'll do my best to answer them. For anything that you think is worth discussing, however, you should make your own thread.

Moon Diver marks the return of famed designer Kouichi Yotsui, revisiting the formula that set the gaming world ablaze with Strider. Prepare yourself and up to three friends for some hardcore side-scrolling, ceiling-climbing, hack-and-slash action, because in the man's own words, "It's a good game to die!!!"

Overview:
-Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10
-Single Player Possible: 8 (160 )
-Co-Op Required: 4 (40 )
-Approximate amount of time to 200: 10 hours minimum.
-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1+ (grinding for experience after first playthrough will be necessary for one achievement.)
-Number of missable achievements: None.
-Do cheat codes disable achievements: No cheat codes are available.
-Does difficulty affect achievements: No.
-Glitchy achievements: None.
-Unobtainable achievements: None.
-Extra equipment needed: Three extra controllers will be necessary if you do not have an Xbox Live Gold subscription.
-Important: only the host will unlock achievements in online co-op.

Introduction:
Moon Diver is the spiritual successor to the Strider franchise, a game to fill the void left after Strider 2 since ol' Hiryu seems more concerned with fighting games at the moment. The series was always about side-scrolling action gameplay and very little focus on platforming, where you chop up tons of robots with rapid sword strikes. It differs from the previous games in three key areas, Moonsault Combinations which are essentially magic spells that you can mix and match with varying effects, RPG elements that allow you to level up and bolster your HP, MP and strength, and 4-player co-op which is a real asset due to a steep increase in difficulty half-way through the game. Think of Strider mixed with Castle Crashers, and you've got a pretty accurate summary.

Step 1: Main Playthrough
There are no missable achievements, or anything based on specific stages. Simply beating the game will unlock three achievements tied to the completion of levels. Like I said earlier, if playing solo, grinding will be inevitable as enemies begin to deal more damage. There are no general strategies for this, the game is intended to be very arcade-y and there are plenty of achievement-relevant reasons to revisit stages (see the following step.) Multiplayer decreases MP use with multiple-player Moonsault Combinations, makes enemy projectiles focus on different targets, you have more people defeating enemies and making boss battles quicker, and you have the ability to rescue one another when killed in battle. The game was very much intended to be played in co-op.

Step 2: Clean-up
After unlocking all the stages, you will have to replay most of them and access all of the secret areas, many containing hidden Moonsault Combinations which you will require 50 of. You'll need to get a 100 kill combo at one point, of which there are multiple locations to do so (Score Attack is not eligible,) kill 10000 enemies across your career, and level up your characters enough so that when you average their levels out, the number is 50. The remaining achievements all involve co-op interactions; reviving other players 10 times in the same lobby, and perform 10 multiplayer Moonsault Combinations with every possible number of players.

Conclusion:
Moon Diver is not a long game by itself, nor are the achievements particularly difficult, but they are fairly grind-heavy due to the average level 50 achievement and the late-game difficulty level for solo play. As a game, if you're looking for an arcade throwback with a lot of button mashing, amazing synth music and four-player co-op, this is an excellent and very underrated pick.

Last edited by Taiyz; 07-12-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Taiyz is offline   Reply With Quote