PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > BioShock 2 > Minerva's Den
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Hoborg
Banned User

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Standing ovation

Bravo 2k, bravo. This is the end of what will be known, WHAT IS known as one the top ten games (franchises) of all time. There is no doubt about it. The original Bioshock has a 96 metacritic average which is amazing for a completely new IP.

Minerva's Den has to be the best DLC ever released so far. Lengthy, shocking, and fun.

What makes Bioshock so great is that the developers invented the universe from scratch. No existing license was used (such as star wars, D&D, etc). Brilliant story, art deco style, atmospheric, memorable characters, and an incredibly intelligent narrative.

This is a timeless classic. Only shame is that the developers decided to exploit it and add a tacked-on and largely infamous multiplayer.
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Graivul

Heroic Bishop's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Totally agree, especially about the tacked on afterthought of a multiplayer mode, really hating the way companies are doing that now, two eagerly awaited games for me have now been ruined in my opinion by naff MP modes, Two Worlds 2 and Assassin's Creed: The brotherhood. Really disappointed me.

I could not agree more strongly if I tried with your opinion of the Minerva's Den DLC. It is by far the best DLC I have ever bought and played, the achievements are good (could have lived without the Spitfire game though lol), and the story line and it's twists are stunningly well written and brilliantly executed.

I always loved the atmospheric, Art Deco feel of the game, even down to the Charleston style music echoing down the flooded halls in places making the atmosphere that little more eerie. I have found it very difficult to find fault with these games, they are definitley some of my favourite games of all time. As you rightly say as well, this is a completely original franchise unlike Star Wars etc which makes it an even greater accomplishment.

I really don't know what the new Bioshock Infinite will bring....I just hope they manage to achieve the same memorable experience up in the clouds.

But here is seconding your sentiment my friend, Bravo 2K indeed.

Graivul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
Glitch in the System

GlitchNDaSystem's Gamercard
I loved this DLC. Bioshock 2 was ok as a whole, but this was great. thanks to this and of course bioshock 1/2, i cannot wait to see how completely different bioshock infinite will be.
Glitch in the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
paul110582

paul110582's Gamercard
Thumbs up

i love the bioshock games an can't wait for the third game , i love raptor an its style an characters am just preparing for all the complaints about changing it to much wen the newest instalment comes out even tho i am a big fan of the games they shud now change it the reason being two great games shud not be spoilt by a third game squeezing out the left ova story , bring on the new version same general play new location , new characters an hopfully just as creepy an retro
paul110582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
cbssi

dude527's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul110582 View Post
i love the bioshock games an can't wait for the third game , i love raptor an its style an characters am just preparing for all the complaints about changing it to much wen the newest instalment comes out even tho i am a big fan of the games they shud now change it the reason being two great games shud not be spoilt by a third game squeezing out the left ova story , bring on the new version same general play new location , new characters an hopfully just as creepy an retro
Holy crap. I'm sorry, but holy crap.

"I love the BioShock games and can't wait for the third game. I love Rapture and its style, and characters. I am just preparing for all the complaints about changing it too much when the newest installment comes out. Even though I am a big fan of the games, I think they should now change; the reason being, two great games should not be spoiled by a third game squeezing out the left over story. Bring on the new version; same general play, new location, new characters, and hopefully just as creepy and retro."

There you go.

I myself have just downloaded the DLC, and I'm not having much fun... Does this pick up or something? Because thus far, it's rather abrupt, and I hate games that drop you into some character's shoes with no real explanation. Also, I thought Delta was the only independently thinking Big Daddy, and one of only few who could form a "temporary connection" with other Little Sisters. I could be wrong. Point being, playing a different Big Daddy felt wrong to me, and minimized Delta's impact in the main game. I guess I'll have to finish the DLC before I make any real, lasting opinions, though.
100% retail games: King Kong, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Assassin's Creed II, Saw, Mass Effect 2
80%+ retail games: The Orange Box, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Fallout 3, Fable II, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Resident Evil 5, Mass Effect, Halo Wars, BioShock, BioShock 2
cbssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Almsivi

Send a message via MSN to Almsivi

ArmedWithDanger's Gamercard
Ahem.. Systemshock?
Naa, I don't want to be a douche, I absolutely love Bioshock, and as I started playing Minerva's Den I started to crave after Bioshock Infinite, that game looks to be GREAT! Although, I'm going to miss having the water around, but I'm very sure that they'll manage to keep the amazing atmosphere of the series

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbssi View Post
I myself have just downloaded the DLC, and I'm not having much fun... Does this pick up or something? Because thus far, it's rather abrupt, and I hate games that drop you into some character's shoes with no real explanation. Also, I thought Delta was the only independently thinking Big Daddy, and one of only few who could form a "temporary connection" with other Little Sisters. I could be wrong. Point being, playing a different Big Daddy felt wrong to me, and minimized Delta's impact in the main game. I guess I'll have to finish the DLC before I make any real, lasting opinions, though.
Don't you worry, it will all make sense in the end - but I'm not gonna spoil anything...!
Almsivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #7
R0Y4LEwitCHEESE

R0Y4LEwitCHEESE's Gamercard
Absolutely fantastic DLC. I saved this until after I had done with the multiplayer and it has left such a brilliant impression. Bravo 2K Marin.
R0Y4LEwitCHEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
macgyver893

MACGYV3R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Loved it. Played BS2 campaign last July and this was a great reason to pick up the game again. Sooooo glad they had the sale recently. Most likely onto the Protector Trials now. But Minerva's Den was just the perfect addition to an already awesome game. One of the best DLCs by far!

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
macgyver893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Jay Leon Hart

Jay Leon Hart's Gamercard
I'm sorry I left it this long to play through Minerva's Den tbh. Truly excellent DLC across the board - story, content, character. Love it.

Bravo 2k, indeed.
- The Baconing - 11/12 - 175/200
- Vanquish - 49/50 - 950/1,000
Jay Leon Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
zombielord24

zombielord24's Gamercard
I think my favorite part of the bioshock series was the audio diaries. I felt they were a good way to convey story they couldn't show any other way. Plus, you never got the diaries in a logical order, which paralleled Raptures disjointed, chaotic atmosphere. You also got to learn things about they characters that they would not reveal if met face to face.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #11
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbssi View Post
I thought Delta was the only independently thinking Big Daddy, and one of only few who could form a "temporary connection" with other Little Sisters. I could be wrong. Point being, playing a different Big Daddy felt wrong to me, and minimized Delta's impact in the main game. I guess I'll have to finish the DLC before I make any real, lasting opinions, though.
Yeah, it's a good ending. Also, I think it's the entirety of the Alpha series that're different, the ones marked by Greek letters (Delta, Sigma, etc.), compared to the Bouncer and Rosie models.

I'm not sure I'd go so far to say it's my favorite DLC, but it's definately...how to put this. Of all the DLCs I've played, this one feels the most like a game in of itself. If games were expected to be a mere couple hours long, Minerva's Den would easily pass as a "full game".

Also, I know it's off-topic, but I'm sick of hearing it: how does a "tacked on" multiplayer mode ruin an entire game? Ever since this particular game, I've heard that same sentiment over and over again about other games since, like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. It baffles me! o.O
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
DayV3d

DayV3d's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
im.. wow, amazing. loved the ending! this is how dlc should be done. not half assed quick money, but every minute worth the price!
it really felt like an expansion, a story on its own. *sheds manly tear*
Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Stoney Twist

stoney twist's Gamercard
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoborg View Post
Bravo 2k, bravo. This is the end of what will be known, WHAT IS known as one the top ten games (franchises) of all time. There is no doubt about it. The original Bioshock has a 96 metacritic average which is amazing for a completely new IP.

Minerva's Den has to be the best DLC ever released so far. Lengthy, shocking, and fun.

What makes Bioshock so great is that the developers invented the universe from scratch. No existing license was used (such as star wars, D&D, etc). Brilliant story, art deco style, atmospheric, memorable characters, and an incredibly intelligent narrative.

This is a timeless classic. Only shame is that the developers decided to exploit it and add a tacked-on and largely infamous multiplayer.

I couldn't agree more with you.
I "Love" the Bioshock universe in all its splendor (multiplayer not included).

It has been a brilliant thrilling ride. Both of the main plots (I and II) and the expansion (MD) were all well done. These games were obviously labors of love for the developers and I can feel it, everytime that I dive into watery depths of Bioshock...

Glad to hear that others loved it as much as I did.

-- Stoney Twist
Stoney Twist is offline   Reply With Quote