PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Japanese Games (NTSC-J) > Action > Catherine
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
FeLizP
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to FeLizP Send a message via Yahoo to FeLizP Send a message via Skype™ to FeLizP

FeLizP's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Catherine FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions – Please Read Before Posting (8/5/11)

Catherine Xbox 360 FAQ

Introduction
There was a feature that 360a began implementing a few years back to contain a FAQ in every forum for every game to help cover all the commonly asked questions posted in the forum. To avoid clutter(or minimize it for that matter) we have posted a FAQ to help make 360a your one stop shop for all your achievement needs!

I’ll try to avoid spoilers for the most part. However, some of the questions asked simply have no answer to be given without some spoiler. For the most part, a portion of the Gameplay Questions will contain at least some spoilers to inform possible buyers about the game, some of the General and Other Questions contain plot elements as well. So for those who care:

THIS THREAD CONTAINS MINIMAL SPOILERS

Before we go any further, please refer to the following FAQs and Guides for any and all questions not found in this guide:

http://vividgamer.com/2011/08/07/tro...-catherine/4/- Trophy Guide
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/605302-catherine/faqs/62439- General Walkthrough
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Characters - Character Guide
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Bosses- Boss Guide
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Everyday_Hero - Everyday Hero Guide
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wi...rough:Overview - Nightmare Stages Guide
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wi...rough:Overview - Confessionals Guide
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Rapunzel- Rapunzel Guide
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Endings- Endings Guide
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Endings- Text Junkie Guide

These are available for a reason – to be used!

General Questions
[101] What in the world is this game about?
[102] I've heard it's impossibly difficult...is that true?
[103] Thinking of buying this but does climbing blocks get old?
[104] Are there any differences between the NA version and the Japanese version?
[105] Does this game contain nudity?
[106] What is Law and Chaos? Which color belongs to which?

Gameplay Questions
[201] How long is this game, what difficulty should I start on?
[202] What is the difference between all the difficulties?
[203] What is 'Very Easy' difficulty? I don't see it on the menu.
[204] Is there any New Game +?
[205] How do I get more jukebox songs?
[206] People keep leaving the Stray Sheep before I can talk to them!?
[207] What events make time move forward at the Stray Sheep? What events don't?
[208] Is there any downside to drinking?
[209] How many levels does Rapunzel have?
[210] I'm completely stuck on level _____. Help
[211] How do I save my game?
[212] How do I skip a stage or cut scene?
[213] When I skip a stage does it also skip over the Landings and Confessional segments?
[214] Is there anywhere I can view the cut scenes when I want?
[215] How can I get more "retries"?
[216] Why are there other Sheep around while I'm trying to climb some puzzles?
[217] I shimmy around a block and get confused with my sense of direction, what's going on?
[218] What purpose does the Bathroom serve at the Stray Sheep?
[219] What's the deal with the spike blocks? I keep getting killed!
[220] I hate____ blocks! What do I do?
[221] The camera keeps getting me killed during Boss Stages, help?
[222] Where are all the rosaries for Rapunzel? I can't seem to find them.
[223] Will my gold prizes still be intact if my game saves get deleted?
[224] How do I replay the Stages?
[225] I can't seem to tell the time at the Stray Sheep for when patrons come in. Where's the clock?
[226] I'm stuck on a Normal/Hard difficulty puzzle. Is it possible to simply replicate a video walkthrough to get it done?
[227] The final two spheres for Stage 9(9-5, 9-6) on Hard are impossible! What do I do about the randomness?
[228] Is there a list of the puzzle techniques(from the Landings) I can use to get better?
[229] What happens once I get a Game Over with no retries left? Do I have to start a new playthrough?

Achievement Questions
[301] Is Catherine an easy 1000?
[302] How long does it take to get 1000 in Catherine?
[303] Do I have to play through on a certain difficulty to get achievements??
[304] Do the miscellaneous achievements still unlock on Easy difficulty?
[305] How many Endings are there? How do I get them all?
[306] How can I get my Karma meter in the middle for the True Freedom Ending?
[307] The patrons I am trying to help at the Stray Sheep keep dying! Help?
[308] How can I get 20 text messages sent? I never seem to get that many.
[309] When do I start to get the drinking achievements? Do I have to do it every day?
[310] How do I get the achievement for not going home?
[311] Babel. Come on, what is with this? It's ridiculous! How do I beat it?
[312] How many factoids are there for each alcoholic beverage?
[313] How exactly can I get a gold prize in a stage? What are the factors?
[314] Will the game save my gold prizes if I quit in the middle of "re-challenging" a Nightmare Stage?
[315] Do achievement tallies carry over to other playthroughs?(e.g beer tips, texts,etc.)
[316] I can't seem to get Bomberlamb, I Can Fly, etc.
[317] Can I unlock the block-related achievements in Rapunzel?
[318] Okay, Hard mode and Babel are way too difficult! How do I get better?
[319] How do I beat the _____ Babel Stage? They keep giving me crappy setups!
[320] In order to unlock Everyday Hero do I have to save all the patrons in one play through?

Karma Meter/Decision Making
[401] What is karma? Where is it located?
[402] How do I get a "Law"/"Chaos" rating for my answer at the confessionals?
[403] I'm about to do my 1st playthrough. What decisions should I make?
[404] How is the _______ confessional question considered Law/Chaos?
[405] Is there a way to check your karma alignment through command?

Ending Questions
[501] Which Endings should I go for first?
[502] Can I view the Endings at any time upon getting them?
[503] Why can't I get Catherine/Katherine's True Ending? My karma is in the appropriate alignment!
[504] How do I get the _______ Ending?
[505] How many playthroughs does it take to get all 8 Endings??
[506] How do I know what I need to say throughout the game to get the _____ Ending?
[507] Are any of these Endings the "True" conclusion to Catherine?

SPOILER RELATED QUESTIONS

Other Questions
[601] Katherine or Catherine?
[602] So what's the deal with Erica? She's a what?
[603] So why sheep? Is it symbolic for something?
[604] Will Catherine be getting any DLC?
[605] Can I still get the Love Is Over package or is it too late?

Last edited by FeLizP; 09-07-2012 at 05:26 PM.
FeLizP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
FeLizP
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to FeLizP Send a message via Yahoo to FeLizP Send a message via Skype™ to FeLizP

FeLizP's Gamercard

--------------------------------
GENERAL QUESTIONS
[101] What in the world is this game about?
Maturity, relationships, fidelity, commitment, love, and sheep. It's an action/adventure/puzzle/horror game from Atlus, made by the same development team that has done Persona. The game is split up into 3 main parts: the action gameplay, where you have to shift blocks around to make a path to the top of a tower. The cutscenes, both animated and in-game engine, which is the primary story-telling mechanic. And the exploration in the Stray Sheep (a bar the main character hangs out in), where you can talk to people, play mini-games, or text your girlfriend (either one!).

[102] I've heard it's impossibly difficult...is that true?
When the game was released in Japan, a lot of people thought so. They released a patch later to try to fix it, but it still wasn't perfect. With the North American release, Atlus had the time to really reconstruct a lot of the areas that were just too difficult, as well as 'baking in' the patch to make it easier. As a result, Very Easy, Easy and Normal are very manageable, whereas Hard has remained untouched (a true test of skill!). So the answer is -- they've done a great job making it exactly as hard as you want it to be, whether you just want to see the story (Very Easy mode) or you are a master of blocks (Hard).

[103] Thinking of buying this, but does climbing blocks get boring after a while?
That's the action portion of the gameplay, yes, but there's a lot more to this game. If you're intrigued but unsure, you should definitely download the demo, which is free for both Xbox and PS3, to get a taste of what it's all about. Be reminded that the game does a good job of keeping the block based puzzles feeling fresh and dynamic as you progress in the game while introducing new elements to the gameplay. If you are truly interested in Catherine you can download the demo by clicking HERE.

[104] Are there any differences between the NA version and the Japanese version?
When Catherine was localized for North America, there were bound to be some changes from the original content. Things like the changes to the Difficulties were well-publicized, but here is a list of more obscure changes that occurred. For a list of all the differences click HERE.

[105] Does this game contain nudity?
The game does not contain as much nudity as the "suggestive" trailers and box-art lead you to believe. Frankly, the game doesn't contain any blatant account of nudity. The player is sent text messages of suggestive photos throughout the game but apparently reveal no nudity, a teaser if you will. It could be that some of it was removed once it got imported from Japan. There is however a degree of nudity in one of the Endings for the game featuring Vincent and his succubus lapdogs.

[106] What is Law and Chaos? Which color belongs to which?
Law and Chaos are the 2 alignments in Catherine that the player has the given choice of following based on the decisions they make. Law is represented by the blue colored side on the right of the karma meter. Chaos is represented by the red colored side on the left of the karma meter.

GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS
[201] How long is this game, what difficulty should I start on?
The game's length depends a lot on how good you are with the puzzles, and how much you explore and talk during events. It takes most people between 8-15 hours for their first playthrough. It's recommended that any person starting the game begins on 'Easy' to grasp the gameplay first. If it's too hard, you can drop down to Very Easy, and if it's too easy, you can raise it to Normal or Hard. You are able to change difficulty at any point during the Stray Sheep segments of the game.

[202] What is the difference between all the difficulties?
Easy, Normal and Hard have different block layouts. A Mystic Pillow gives you different amounts of retries on each difficulty (3 on Easy, 2 on Normal, 1 on Hard). Easy has a score multiplier of 2, making it easier to get Golds...Normal has 1.5, and Hard has 1 (no multiplier), meaning you have to really nail it to get a Gold. On every difficulty but 'Hard', you have the ability to rewind your turn up to 10 times at once.

[203] What is 'Very Easy' difficulty? I don't see it on the menu.
Very Easy is the same as easy, only there's a high chance of a Power Drink coming out of every block you move. This drink allows you to jump up 3 blocks for a limited time, which makes tricky parts a lot easier. You have to specially activate it, by holding down on the main menu (highlighting 'Golden Playhouse' -- not the Difficulty select screen). After about 5 seconds, a chime will sound and the screen with flash with the message Very Easy has been activated. Just start a game on 'Easy', and it will be Very Easy. You can deactivate the mode the same way.

[204] Is there any New Game +?
Not strictly speaking, but some data carries over between all new games. All your Rapunzel progress, Jukebox song unlocks, and level trophies (for the difficulty you beat) will carry over, as well as your game running time. Also, if you play on the same difficulty, you can skip any Nightmare Stage you've previously gotten a Gold trophy on.

[205] How do I get more jukebox songs?
Each song is linked to 1 achievement, so there are 50 unlockable songs in all. Maybe sure to keep checking back whenever you get a new one.

[206] People keep leaving the Stray Sheep before I can talk to them!
They each have their own schedules, and talking to people advances time...it's impossible to see every scrap of text in a single playthrough, so you have to prioritize who you want to talk to each night. There is a guide to people's schedules from Day 2 on HERE.

[207] What events make time move forward at the Stray Sheep? What events don't?
The set actions that never take any are: playing the jukebox, playing Rapunzel, using your phone, talking to Erica, watching the TV, washing your face, and drinking. Talking with your friends (Orlando, Jonny, Toby) takes time, but it takes 2-4 conversation to move time ahead. Speaking to everyone else results in time moving forward once per conversation.

[208] Is there any downside to drinking?
Nope. There is only an upside: you move faster in the Nightmares. So make sure to get plastered every night!

[209] How many levels does Rapunzel have?
64 in the main mode (worth 1 achievement), and 64 in the extra mode (2 more achievements), so 128 all together.

[210] I'm completely stuck on level _____. Help.
Video guides for the Nightmare stages are incredibly helpful, because you end up learning lots of new techniques you may have not been using before. Keep in mind the layouts of the levels change with the difficulty, so make sure you're viewing the guide for the proper one. If you're trying not to use video guides, just keep in mind any techniques you've learned on the landings, and think about buying an item from the Merchant Sheep - it will lower your score, but it might be just what you need to beat the level. For a video walkthrough for gold prizing each stage, click HERE.

[211] How do I save my game?
There are 2 ways to save your progress in Golden Playhouse. There's your cellphone which can be pulled up by pressing and going to DIARY. Or you can use the sign-in logs at each Landing during Nightmare segments by walking up them and hitting . You can hold up to 10 save slots.

[212] How do I skip a stage or cut scene?
Press . There will be an option to skip at the pause menu, select it to skip the Stage or scene. This feature is only available for Stages you have won gold prizes on. Difficulty setting applies.

[213] When I skip a stage does it also skip over the Landings and Confessional segments?
No. There will be a loading screen and you will be sent to that Stages Landing just as if you completed the Stage manually.

[214] Is there anywhere I can view the cut scenes when I want?
No. Catherine has no gallery mode where you can view artwork, endings, cut scenes, or anything of the sort. However, if you just want to play Catherine for the story and scenes for a future playthrough, try getting gold prizes on all the Stages so that you can skip the Stages and watch the scenes as if it were a movie.

[215] How can I get more "retries"?
There are pillow pickups throughout the Stages. Picking these up gives you more retires but the number varies based on difficulty. Retries really should not be an issue on Easy difficulty and as for Normal, there are time's where you can continually pick up pillows after retying from each checkpoint adding 2 retries each go round. With the re-challenge feature on your cell phone(which grants infinite continues) retries become pretty useless as your progress further into the game.

[216] Why are there other Sheep around while I'm trying to climb some puzzles?
Those are other sheep trying to survive just like you. Some are trying to climb to the top while others can get in your way so you will have to be assertive at times and push through them. On the higher difficulties other sheep may even attack you so be careful.

Last edited by FeLizP; 07-31-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
FeLizP
Banned User

FeLizP's Gamercard

[217] I shimmy around a block and get confused with my sense of direction, what's going
on?

When using the spider technique around a block you have to visualize what's left from right from your point of view, not Vincent's. If you can't see Vincent then it's important to pan your camera around to try and get a view of him. Controls tend to become inverted as you spider around blocks.

[218] What purpose does the Bathroom serve at the Stray Sheep?

The bathroom is the only place Vincent can go to view photos sent to him by Catherine. Washing your face also triggers foreshadowing type scenes of your next Boss(in the mirror) when you go to sleep that night.

[219] What's the deal with the spike blocks? I keep getting killed!

It is vital that you are pro-active when dealing with spike blocks. This becomes especially important in Hard mode. Spike blocks are easy enough to point out as they have blood on them, so to keep yourself from being skewered be sure to dangle from the edge of one immediately upon stepping on one. To dangle more easily simply hold the d-pad in the direction you wish to dangle from as you step onto a spike block. If you're trying to move forward while stepping on spike blocks then don't lose your pace because stopping for even a second on these blocks means the end. Once they have deployed their spikes they no longer pose a threat. You can even walk right back over them while the spikes are still deployed once they miss you.

[220] I hate____ blocks! What do I do?
It's all about adjusting to the situation of when and where specific block types appear. This is particularly difficult for the Stage 9 Stages with monster blocks.

Cracked Blocks: Can be very annoying, especially on Babel stages. Make it a priority to pull a non cracked block over one to provide more sturdy footing. Stepping on a cracked block twice will cause it to crumble so it's best to deal with these as soon as possible.

Spike Blocks: These are easy to avoid getting punctured once you're used to it. Just keep moving! If you have nowhere else to go then immediately dangle from one by holding the d-pad in any direction that has no block supporting it below.

Ice Blocks: Ice blocks will get you killed if you're not thinking. Remember you need to shimmy up to one before pulling a block that's on top in front of one. If there is a row of these that you're using for support be sure to shimmy around them at all times before proceeding to pull anything. Don't get too ahead of yourself and you'll be fine. There are time's when you may be lucky enough to have normal blocks divided in between ice blocks to help prevent you from slipping off of edges.

Bomb Blocks: Only step on these if you really have to and even if you are, plan ahead. You don't want to have these completely ruining everything you work so hard to build. So make sure you are already moving up by the time you ignite these unless you're doing controlled demolition.

Monster Blocks: These can make life very difficult for you. Let it be noted that these can be pulled and pushed at anytime, the only time they are offensive is when you shimmy around their mouths which is where they will lick you causing you to fall. Taking a simple step onto the top of these will deactivate them but they also move on their own at times. Don't feel bad about restarting or undoing if you have to sometimes these move arbitrarily ruining integral parts of stages. These become a bigger issue when playing the Stage 9 phases on higher difficulties. Learn to move quickly and get passed these as soon as possible to avoid having them ruining any path you have created.

Random Blocks: Simply stepping on these causes them to transform to any of the blocks mentioned above. Learn to treat these as if every single one will turn into a spike block because if you get unlucky enough it will change into one skewering you within an instant. Another scary possibility is a random shifting into an Ice Block so be sure to hang from the outside and not the sides to ensure your chance of staying alive when running across one. If it's a false alarm and you get a normal block then you're good to go.

Vortex Blocks: Keep away from these at all costs! These are pretty easy to spot as they contain a purple whirl at the top of them waiting to suck anything in. Warp Blocks will also swallow any other block that lands on top of it so plan your moves carefully. If you ever spot one of these your best bet is to push these off any surface and let it fall below to avoid problems.

[221] The camera keeps getting me killed during Boss Stages, help?
Just slow down. There's not much you can do during the cinematic portions when you're trying to escape a Boss but to watch it. You are still free to move but it's best to slow your pace and wait for the camera to focus back on you to avoid messing up or even death.

[222] Where are all the rosaries for Rapunzel? I can't seem to find them.
There are 8 total hidden rosaries out of the 128 Stages of Rapunzel which means 4 for the 64 Normal Stages and 4 for the 64 Extra Stages. The rosaries appear in the same stage numbers as well: 52, 56, 60 and 64 for both modes. For the Extra Stages you will need to pick up the magic lamp in order for the rosary to appear. Interestingly, rosaries can still be picked up in the Extra Stages even without collecting the lamp, they will just be invisible.

[223] Will my gold prizes still be intact if my game saves get deleted?

This has not yet been tested. So it's safer to not tinker with your save data to avoid losing everything. A memory card helps too.

[224] How do I replay the Stages?
At any point during Golden Playhouse, you have the ability to replay stages that you have completed by pulling up your phone and going to AWARDS. From here you can re-challenge the Nightmare Stages for the gold prizes. You won't be able to re-challenge Stage 9 until you have beaten the game and started a New Game under the same difficulty you beat the game on. You can then re-challenge Stage 9 once you gain access to your cell phone on the 1st Day at the Stray Sheep.

[225] I can't seem to tell the time at the Stray Sheep for when patrons come in. Where's
the clock?

There is no clock. The schedules presented in the Wiki allow the player to fathom just who appears at the Stray Sheep sooner or later than whom.

[226] I'm stuck on a Normal/Hard difficulty puzzle. Is it possible to simply replicate a video walkthrough to get it done?
Yes, but replicating Hard videos can be much more problematic especially for Stages 9-5 and 9-6 where things get a bit random and luck based. It is in no way impossible to replicate Stage 9-5 and 9-6 however it will take some adjusting to as some areas can get very heated plus monster blocks will not always move the same way as you see in a video walkthrough of the stages. It basically comes down to luck and the players ability to improvise if everything doesn't go the same as the video. Don't give up, just keep trying.

[227] The final two spheres for Stage 9(9-5, 9-6) on Hard are impossible! What do I do about the randomness?
Stage 9-5 on Hard requires the player to manipulate exactly when and where they need a certain block type to change during certain areas of the stage. Thomas Mutton will shift the types of certain blocks every so often however there is a distinct patter. It is up to the player to time themselves when they approach certain areas to get the block they want. Primarily stay away from bomb blocks and try to wait for Thomas to change them again if you're in an area that requires stable foundation. When Mutton is aiming with revolver, try to bait his attacks so they don't destroy a block you need. Stand in front of an empty space (or a useless block) until he locks on, and then move out of the way. It becomes easy to distinguish between his main attacks as you play, so learn to read his boot attack, and make sure you're out of his way when he executes it.

Stage 9-6 is arguably easier than 9-5 but you may need to get lucky on some spots. If you haven't noticed, half way into the Stage Damuzid will yell out "Curse!" and cast a spell on you that will cause a purple flare to surround Vincent. Once this is happens every time Vincent pulls out a block, it will cause other blocks to transform into different types. If you learn to take control of Damuzid's spell when he casts it and intentionally pull blocks until you get the spring one then this Stage can be a cake walk. You only have the added worry of monster blocks and meteors catching you while dangling outside of a block but once you get passed that this Stage is not so bad. Easy to beat, difficult to get gold on however. Click HERE for a strategy guide on dealing with Damuzid.

[228] I can't seem to avoid the meteors on Stage 9-6 they are giving me tons of problems when I get so close! Help?
There is a trick to this. Primarily meteors won't hit you unless you have just pulled out a suspended block or are shimmying around one to the outside. So during the section of Stage 9-6 when meteors begin to fall make sure you hold position before pulling out a block, wait for a meteor to fall, then make your next move quickly. Usually there won't be more than one meteor on screen at once so when you see one falling make sure it's not from above before making your next move. Try to make moves as the meteor falls past you for safer moves. Then once it's off screen wait again, let if fall, move, rinse repeat.

Last edited by FeLizP; 08-23-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
FeLizP
Banned User

FeLizP's Gamercard

[229] Is there a list of the puzzle techniques(from the Landings) I can use to get better?
Yes. Most of the more important techniques become instilled in players after a while regardless. However, sometimes you may forget some shared with you at the Landings so if you need a refresher there's a full list of them that can be found HERE.

[230] What happens once I get a Game Over with no retries left? Do I have to start a new
playthrough?
No. You will simply have to load up your last saved game.

ACHIEVEMENT QUESTIONS
[301] Is Catherine an easy 1000G?
No, although 800G of it is fairly doable. The most difficult portion of Catherine comes from getting gold prizes on all Stages with difficulty set to Hard and Babel Mode. Aside from those the other achievements can be obtained in time with the use of the Achievement Guide located in the forum.

[302] How long does it take to get 1000G in Catherine?
Time required to 1000 Catherine largely depends on the players skill involving puzzles. Most of the Golden Playhouse related achievements(Conquer Stages, Endings, Beer tips, patrons, etc.) can be done in 3 playthroughs which could take up to 25-30 hours. However gold prizing all the Hard Stages and completing all Babel Stages takes time and skill from someone who is adept at the game. Story only achievements plus the learning curve to improve enough to conquer the harder achievements could total up to 50 hours or more to 1000G the game however this varies greatly.

[303] Do I have to play through on a certain difficulty to get achievements?
There are 9 achievements linked to difficulties. 4 are from getting Gold trophies on all Nightmare Stages in Normal Difficulty or higher (and unlocks Babel stages), and 1 is for getting Gold trophies on all Nightmare Stages on Hard difficulty. The remaining 4 are from beating the Babel stages you unlocked from the first 4. All the other miscellaneous achievements will still unlock, difficulty won't matter.

[304] Do the miscellaneous achievements still unlock on Easy difficulty?
Yes, although you won't be able to unlock any Babel stages though on Easy which also net you achievements.

[305] How many endings are there? How do I get them all?
There are 8 endings, though you only have to play through the entire game 3 times if you do some save game management at the end of the game. Your ending depends on your Karma Meter (Law/Chaos/Neutral) and the answers to the last set of confessional questions at the end of the game. Refer to HERE for help on each one.

[306] How can I get my Karma meter in the middle for the True Freedom Ending?
Following a guide for the Confessionals and Phone Mail is a good way to balance this out. Just keep in mind where your meter is at all times -- if it seems to be heading into Order, focus on some Chaos answers in the confessionals to bring it in line. Keep in mind if you're just speed running the game to get the True Freedom ending, you can ignore all the texts, which makes Confessionals the only real source of alignment changes.

[307] The patrons I am trying to help at the Stray Sheep keep dying!
This is a prickly achievement; it requires you to answer sets of questions in a specific way (generally encouraging), and talk to the patrons every chance you get. It also involves talking to all the random sheep on the Landings, and encouraging them as well. The easiest ways to miss people are when they come in late to the Stray Sheep. For example on Day 3, both Morgan and Todd/Archie come in late. Archie comes in late on Day 4, Morgan comes in late on Day 5, and Anna comes by herself on Day 6. They all need to be talked to at least once. If everyone shows up on the Landing of 7-4, you're home free. There is a list of all characters and their schedules that can be found HERE plus a guide to saving them all located HERE.

[308] How can I get 20 text messages sent? I never seem to get that many.
Keep in mind that in almost all cases, a positive response (based on who you're talking to) will get you another text to respond to. All in all, there are 25 possible texts you can respond to, so it doesn't leave you a lot of room to miss things. Make sure you act Law-like with Katherine texts, and Chaos-like with Catherine texts: there is a full guide HERE.

[309] When do I start to get the drinking achievements? Do I have to do it every day?
You can start drinking on Day 2, and you have to get one trivia for each of the four drinks every day (Day 2 - 8). All four achievements will then unlock on Day 8. The trivia pops up after you empty your glass, which is three sips. Don't worry -- time doesn't advance while you drink.

[310] How do I get the achievement for not going home?
You can get this on a few different days: the first day is Day 5. It's very easy to get, as long as you never leave the bar before it closes down for the night. There is always a way to pass time: talking to Boss or your friends multiple times, along with everyone else will easily catapult you past Stray Sheep's hours. Once your buddies are the only patrons left at the bar take a seat with them at the booth and speak to one of them. There will be an option for you to say "Be careful" that you can select and net you the achievement.

[311] Babel. Come on, what is with this, it's ridiculous! How can I beat it?
Unfortunately, there's nothing a guide can help with on Babel. All the levels are randomized, so it truly is a test of how good you are with the puzzle mechanic of Catherine, and thinking on your toes. There is no undo, so try to get some practice in Hard mode before attempting it. If you find yourself stumped by any of the Babel Stages then you can always play in Pairs with a friend or by swapping controllers, this supposedly decreases the amount of steps needed to complete each Stage plus block drops are easier to deal with. Vivid Gamer also has some nice strategies for each Babel Stage which can be found HERE.

[312] How many factoids are there for each alcoholic beverage?
There is a total of 7 factoids for each drink but you can only get 1 per drink a night. Starting on the 2nd Day you can start getting beer tips all the way up until the 8th Day. Any further drinking will only result in Erica/Boss asking if you want more to drink.

[313] How exactly can I get a gold prize in a stage? What are the factors?
A number of things influence your final score upon completing a stage. There's your step multiplier which is the total combo of blocks you jumped without letting your fuse run out. There's the Enigma coins bonus that you get from collecting them throughout the stage. And finally your safety bonus which is based on the difficulty you are playing on. This is important to know when going for the gold prizes on all stages on Normal and Hard difficulty. Skipping Normal difficulty and getting all gold prizes on Hard first will unlock "The Golden Child" and "Taking on the Gods" if you want to save time, since they stack! For more info on scoring click HERE.

Last edited by FeLizP; 09-07-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
FeLizP
Banned User

FeLizP's Gamercard

[314] Will the game save my gold prizes if I quit in the middle of "re-challenging" a
Nightmare Stage?
No. You must complete all floors of that Stage when re-challenging it in order for the gold prizes to count. This can be troubling when trying to gold prize all the phases of Stage 9 as there are 6 total spheres you must do in one sitting or else you must start all over! There is also the option of just leaving your Xbox 360 on idle and coming back to the puzzle when you're ready. Just make sure you don't return to the bar before finishing the final floor/phase of a Stage when gold prizing everything or else you will have to start from the first floor next time you challenge again with all gold prizes forfeited. To avoid this issue, one could always play the Stage 9 spheres from the Golden Playhouse and make saves in between to avoid having to do them all in one sitting.

[315] Do achievement tallies carry over to other playthroughs?(e.g beer tips, texts,etc.)
No. The only things that carry over are jukebox songs, total time played, Rapunzel progress, and gold prizes won(difficulty dependent). Upon starting a New Game everything else is reset.

[316] I can't seem to get Bomberlamb, I Can Fly, etc.
Block related achievements may take a few attempts before unlocking. Going for them on Easy difficulty tends to be the easiest solution for novices. The most ideal Stage to do "Bomberlamb" would be on level 6-2 on Easy difficulty. Soon after the first checkpoint is reached, you'll run into a tower (about 4-5) of spring blocks. Move one over to be able to spring onto the top of the main wall you need to climb. On top of the wall there will be a bomb block. Light it, and then wait for it to explode. Under one of the newly made crumble blocks, you'll notice a superchared bomb block (one with higher explosion radius). destroy the crumble block and fall onto this bomb block. Let it explode and "Boom" more than 15 blocks should explode. You can also get this while going for "The Golden Child" as some of the later Hard stages give you many opportunities for this if you're patient in waiting for this achievement. There's a video of Bomberlamb being done that can be found HERE.

"I Can Fly" is easier than most people think. The common error made while going for this is that most players grab on to a ledge after their third jump which usually voids the achievement. So at Stage 5-1 Quadrangle, hit 3 of the spring blocks that appear earlier into the stage and be sure not to grab onto a ledge after your third jump. You can also simply pull two spring boxes together and alternate jumps between them to net this achievement. See it being done by clicking HERE.

"Have An Ice Day" is easily obtainable on any Quadrangle stage but 5-2 seems to be most convenient. All you have to do is push an ice block over the length of 5 other ice blocks. Plenty of situations are creatable by just looking around. There's a video of this being done by clicking HERE.

[317] Can I unlock the block-related achievements in Rapunzel?
The achievement description states for the block-related achievements that it can only be unlocked under Golden Playhouse mode. Although Rapunzel is a game that the you can play while in Golden Playhouse it's not yet confirmed if some of the block achievements like Push It to the Limit will unlock while playing Rapunzel.

[318] Okay, Hard mode and Babel are way too difficult! How do I get better?
There is no mode where you can practice, however with time you will improve. Most of the Hard mode puzzles simply require memorization once you figure out how to solve them. Video walkthroughs can be a life safer if you ever get stuck at certain points on what to do next for certain stages. By watching video walkthroughs you can learn new techniques to help you along the way to improve your climbing abilities. Babel is rather different as the only memorization that can be used there is that of the techniques you know. It's more of your ability to respond to predicaments whenever they arise. There are also video runs of people completing Babel which can help you learn techniques to respond to more situations. Click HERE for a video guide of each Babel Stage. The more you play and learn the game the better you get with time. Be patient.

[319] How do I beat the _____ Babel Stage? They keep giving me crappy setups!
The thing about Babel is the setups you usually receive are based on how you make your way to the top. Babel is considered not so much random but non-preset as there are some consistencies in each of the Stages. When you collapse a side of blocks because you left gaps this could leave whatever was dropping below uneven and make things even more difficult for you. That's why it's vital that the player uses the right thumb stick to look above and see what they're dealing with before making moves. You can also keep hitting restart if you don't like the drops they give you from the start until you find something you can work with feasibly. Playing in Pairs instead of Single decreases the amount of steps needed to complete some Babel stages, however you will need an equally skilled friend to avoid ruining things for you. Babel is one of those things you must repeatedly play until you get a grasp on things. There are tips that were recently posted for each Babel Stage that can be found HERE. It's frustrating, but with enough time you will get better. For extra help with Babel click HERE.

[320] In order to unlock Everyday Hero do I have to save all the patrons in one play through?
No. Since the achievement actually unlocks once you have unlocked all the other individual patron achievements for saving them, you don't really have to save all 5 of them in one playthrough. On your second playthrough you are free to save whichever ones that died in your initial playthrough(while ignoring the ones you saved from the previous one and let them die) and it will still unlock.

--------------------------------------
KARMA METER/DECISION QUESTIONS
--------------------------------------
[401] What is a karma meter where is it located?
Your karma meter is a red/blue morality bar that represents what alignment you stand in based on various decisions you make in the game. The karma meter is broken up into 3 sections, a red zone on the left representing Chaos, a blue zone on the right representing Law and a clear zone in the middle representing Neutrality. It will pop up at the lower right hand side of the screen every time you make certain choices when answering questions in conversations, confessionals, and text messages. Based on where it stands towards the end of the game dictates what type of Endings you get upon completion of the game.

[402] How do I get a "Law"/"Chaos" rating for my answer at the confessionals?
You must answer the questions accordingly to at confessionals to the alignment that the answer supports.(e.g Does life begin or end with marriage?) Replying with "It ends" will grant you more Chaos alignment whereas answering with, "It begins" will put you over towards the Law alignment.

[403] I'm about to do my 1st playthrough. What decisions should I make?
This is entirely up to you. Catherine is all about the player making decisions based on where they would like to take the storyline. For achievement purposes it is recommended that you go with Law based choices to net you more achievements in your first playthrough. There is plenty of time to do a Chaos and Neutral run in future playthroughs.

[404] How is the _______ confessional question considered Law/Chaos?
Law and Chaos is often looked at as Good and Bad, but this is a common misconception. Law is more along the lines of order, rationality, and balance upon a disciplined society whereas Chaos is more of the opposite. For a list of all the Law and Chaos answers to confessionals click HERE.

[405] Is there a way to check your karma alignment through command?
No, there is no way of voluntarily checking your alignment through command. Keep track of your alignment and make sure you don't make any hasty decisions when going for certain Endings.

Last edited by FeLizP; 02-22-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
FeLizP
Banned User

FeLizP's Gamercard

----------
ENDINGS
----------
[507] Which Endings should I go for first?
This is entirely up to the player based on the decisions they make. Let it be noted that there you can get up to 4 endings for your first playthrough by following either the Law or Chaos alignment. Law is recommended as it's easier to obtain the Everyday Hero achievement if you're into getting achievements.

[502] Can I view the Endings at any time upon seeing them?
Unfortunately, no. There is no Gallery mode in Catherine. There is a fair alternative you can do by making 8 game saves at the Empireo at 9-1 and making the confessional choices for each save per ending all the way to 9-5 then saving from there. This way you can defeat Thomas Mutton and see any of the 8 endings you want. Catherine Endings can also be viewed on Youtube.

[503] Why can't I get Catherine/Katherine's True Ending? My karma is in the appropriate alignment!
For the True Endings it is required that the player is 100% in the particular alignment(be it Law or Chaos) in order to unlock the True Ending, not 1/2 or 3/4 of the way. In other words, for Catherine's True Ending your Chaos need to be 100% with the dial pointed all the way to the left, no less. For Katherine's True Ending your Law needs to be 100% with the dial pointed all the way to the right. If you don't meet these requirements but choose the correct confessional answers (for the True Endings) during the Stage 9 Landings then you will receive the respective Normal Endings instead.

[504] How do I get the _______ Ending?
Each Ending for Catherine has specific requirements. First of all you must be a specific alignment(Karma meter pointed in the Law, Chaos, Neutral zone, etc). Then, once you reach Stage 9 you must answer each levels confessional questions a certain way, Stage 9-1's doesn't matter. There is more than one way to get each Ending by making various choices. For a list of the required decisions to make for each ending go HERE.

[505] How many playthroughs does it take to get all 8 Endings?
A minimum of 3 playthroughs are needed to obtain all 8 endings. You can use each playthrough to focus on each alignment: Law, Chaos, and Neutral. There are 3 endings that require you to be in the Law alignment, 3 for Chaos, 1 for being Neutral, and another ending that requires you to be either Law or Chaos but by making specific choices in the later confessionals. By making a save at around Stage 9-1 under each playthrough alignment, you can obtain all 8 endings.

[506] How do I know what I need to say throughout the game to get the _____ Ending?
There is no specific choices you really need to make throughout the game to get a desired ending other than keeping your karma meter in whatever alignment is necessary to get the ending. The only hefty choices that dictate what ending you receive are at the confessionals from the last 5 phases of Stage 9. In simply comes down to whatever alignment you are at after the 8th Day when you leave the Stray Sheep. So it basically comes down to sticking to choices that will put you over to whichever alignment you need to get the ending you want by the time you reach Stage 9.

[508] Are any of these Endings the "True" conclusion to Catherine?
Not necessarily. There is no True "canon" Ending to Catherine as the game is not even part of a series with any following. The most logical "True" ending would probably be considered to be Katherine's True since it is most ideal and Lawful.

-------------------
OTHER QUESTIONS
-------------------
[601]Katherine or Catherine?
This is a matter of opinion and relates to the player's personal taste. This may however reflect what decisions the player makes on their first playthrough based on the Catherine they favor more.

[603] So why sheep? Is it symbolic for something?
Sheep play a large role in the mythology and environment of the game. From the literal form men in the Nightmares take, to the often-cited 'herd' mentality that goes with living a life of Order instead of Chaos, references are everywhere. Sheep were chosen as the vehicle for the narrative for a number of reasons, as it fits many common themes to the game: 'sheep' and their relation to 'sleep', the idea of sheep going astray much as the characters do, and the thought that in order to live a normal life like others, you have to stay within the herd. Sheep mindlessly follow, and require a shepherd to guide them properly, or they'll follow each other off a cliff to their death, as one sheep on a Landing stated. It's easy to see the symbolism of that within humanity itself, especially when viewed through the eyes of the god that created this entire trial. The fact that each victim on the Landing sees themselves as the only human in a crowd of sheep speaks volumes to human nature, and how we can fool ourselves into thinking we are independent and free-willed, but in reality are just another sheep in the herd.

By getting certain Endings the player is revealed multiple things about Erica, however you see other accounts throughout Golden Playhouse as well. See HERE for more information.

[603] Will Catherine be getting any DLC?
No. Being a Japanese ported puzzle game it is very unlikely. Atlus has probably already moved on to other projects.

[605] Can I still get the Love Is Over package or is it too late?
Gamestop usually won't sell pre-order bonuses that were not used, they are usually sent out to other shops who need them. Your best bet is Ebay, Amazon or other online retailers.

SPECIAL THANKS: Goes to Saruthelemur for assisting me with this FAQ. Without you and your wikia posts this would not have been possible! If there are any known questions that you would like to have answered, let me know and I'll add it to the FAQ! Thank You.

Last edited by FeLizP; 08-15-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
SteamboatWi11y

Send a message via MSN to SteamboatWi11y

Steamboat Wi11y's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Donator - Level 1
amazingly through FAQ, awesome job FeLizP!

Only thing I noticed was that the link was missing here:
Quote:
By getting certain Endings the player is revealed mutliple things about Erica, however you see other accounts throughout Golden Playhouse as well. See HERE for more information.
But I'm guessing that you are gonna go back through it all and add in the links where they are needed.

Special Thanks to MabusScarab for the Signature
SteamboatWi11y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
FeLizP
Banned User

FeLizP's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamboatWi11y View Post
amazingly through FAQ, awesome job FeLizP!

Only thing I noticed was that the link was missing here:

But I'm guessing that you are gonna go back through it all and add in the links where they are needed.

Yes, I just added it now. I carried the FAQ over to the forums a few days ago and had to re-add the links. Now you may click the Erica link to appease your curiosity.

I'm glad you find the FAQ amazing. I really had to pull out all the stops with finding every possible question about the game and answering them thoroughly. Something tells me people will still find a way to post random threads asking some of the stuff that's already answered above though. Well as long as this minimizes that I'm appeased.

Last edited by FeLizP; 08-08-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeLizP View Post
No. The only things that carry over are jukebox songs, total time played, Rapunzel progress, and gold prizes won(difficulty dependent). Upon starting a New Game everything else is reset.
From what I've personally experienced and from what I've seen others say on the forum the "achievement tallies" for the bar patrons carry over. I didn't help Justin out in my first playthrough and in my second he was the first one I finished helping out and as soon as his achievement popped "Everyday Hero" popped (before talking to anyone else on that playthrough). Several others have reported having the same experience.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130

Quote:
"You looked inside me and saw hatred. That is not victory. Victory would have been a good Dalek." -The Doctor
"I am not a good Dalek. You are a good Dalek." -Rusty
bigbear2face is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
FeLizP
Banned User

FeLizP's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post
From what I've personally experienced and from what I've seen others say on the forum the "achievement tallies" for the bar patrons carry over. I didn't help Justin out in my first playthrough and in my second he was the first one I finished helping out and as soon as his achievement popped "Everyday Hero" popped (before talking to anyone else on that playthrough). Several others have reported having the same experience.
This is a common misconception. Everyday Hero actually unlocks once you have unlocked every individual patron achievement, once you have unlocked the last one(in your case, "Read All About It") then Everyday Hero unlocks.

Many people tend to think that you get it for saving all the patrons and if you miss one then the "saved patron tally" carries over(and you can just save the one's you missed) but this is not the case. It is the patron achievement themselves that keep tally for Everyday Hero, not the game save files themselves. Think of Everyday Hero as a(unlock all other achievements to unlock this one) type achievement like you "Cheers to You" it functions exactly the same way! The Japanese site for Catherine made note of this before it was even released in North America.

The English translation can be found HERE. Notice how it mentions that you must unlock the patrons respective achievements to get Everyday Hero and not save them all in one playthrough which is apparently optional. Which can make it seem that they carry over(just because you unlocked their achievement) but they are not. The achievement is the tally not the save.

Last edited by FeLizP; 10-15-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeLizP View Post
Nope, this is a common misconception. Everyday Hero actually unlocks once you have unlocked every individual patron achievement, once you have unlocked the last one(in your case, "Read All About It") then Everyday Hero unlocks.

Many people tend to think that you get it for saving all the patrons and if you miss one then the "saved patron tally" carries over(and you can just save the one's you missed) but this is not the case. It is the patron achievement themselves that keep tally for Everyday Hero, not the game save files themselves. Think of Everyday Hero as a(unlock all other achievements to unlock this one) type achievement like you "Cheers to You" it functions exactly the same way! The Japanese site for Catherine made note of this before it was even released in North America.

The English translation can be found HERE. Notice how it mentions that you must unlock the patrons respective achievements to get Everyday Hero and not save them all in one playthrough which is apparently optional. Which can make it seem that they carry over(just because you unlocked their achievement) but they are not. The achievement is the tally not the save.
I see. That is actually incredibly fascinating. But in the end is there any real difference? Something is still effectively carrying over the tally making it so you don't have to save all of them in one playthrough to get the achievement and that is the real point. People are going to be asking if things carry over because of how it will affect their achievements. So in the context of that line of questioning the simple answer is: Yes, bar patrons saved carry over.

The only difference that occurs as a result of the tally not being carried over in game saves is that it affects (or more accurately doesn't affect) the storyline of each individual playthrough. So, regardless of whether you saved a patron in a previous playthrough, you still have to do the work to save that person in every subsequent playthrough if you want them saved. Then the question becomes: If you have all the achievements for saving bar patrons why bother saving them? Does saving them change the story or endings in an significant manner?

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130

Quote:
"You looked inside me and saw hatred. That is not victory. Victory would have been a good Dalek." -The Doctor
"I am not a good Dalek. You are a good Dalek." -Rusty

Last edited by bigbear2face; 08-08-2011 at 12:39 AM.
bigbear2face is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
FeLizP
Banned User

FeLizP's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post
I see. That is actually incredibly fascinating. But in the end is there any real difference? Something is still effectively carrying over the tally making it so you don't have to save all of them in one playthrough to get the achievement and that is the real point. People are going to be asking if things carry over because of how it will affect their achievements. So in the context of that line of questioning the simple answer is: Yes, bar patrons saved carry over.

The only difference that occurs as a result of the tally not being carried over in game saves is that it affects (or more accurately doesn't affect) the storyline of each individual playthrough. So, regardless of whether you saved a patron in a previous playthrough, you still have to do the work to save that person in every subsequent playthrough if you want them saved. Then the question becomes: If you have all the achievements for saving bar patrons why bother saving them? Does saving them change the story or endings in an significant manner?
Don't worry, the whole idea of it "not really mattering since in essence something tallies over" did cross my mind as I typed that post. But when it comes down to it, the achievement unlocks once all 5 patron achievements are unlocked, that is it.

Once you unlock Everyday Hero there is no need to save them unless you're trying to work towards a Law ending but during a Chaos playthrough saving them would be incredibly for naught. Unless you enjoy the dialogue between Vincent and the patrons and want to work towards Law then there really is no other reason to bother with them. Now as for your theory on still having to save each patron the next playthrough when you missed some this actually seems to only apply with Todd and Archie as they are linked together. If you don't save one of them you seem to miss them both every time. Justin, Morgan, and Daniel are all unrelated patrons and can be saved individually regardless of any other discrepencies. How would I know? Because when I first got the game I was only able to save Justin my first playthrough. My 2nd playthrough I didn't bother with Justin and only saved Daniel and Morgan but still no Todd and Archie.

On my 3rd and final playthrough I was able to nab Todd and Archies achievement and then Everyday Hero, I didn't even bother with anyone else. This would make it appear that the patron saves I made carried over right? But it could also be looked at as I got all their achievements so thats why Everyday hero unlocked.

So however the way you want to look at it, whether patron saves carry over or not is up to the person playing. Saving all patrons will regardless get you Everyday Hero whether one looks at it from a "game save tallied" perspective or an "unlock these achievements to unlock this one" perspective. There's really no way to prove otherwise unless you choose to believe the unlock requirements for it.

Last edited by FeLizP; 09-12-2011 at 11:27 PM.