Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
macgyver893

MACGYV3R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I know what you mean man, sometimes I even wish they were never around. I do miss the days of non-achievement games for the first Xbox. Sometimes if I'm even on the fence about getting a game, I'll check this site to see how easy the achievements are. If they're super hard then that's the deciding factor in not getting it (I've played FEAR2 and FEAR3, but not the first one for this reason).

But they are here and you can't change it. I've been trying lately just to play the games and not look at the achievement list. If I end up getting points for playing, then fantastic. But you can't let them control you and how you play.

Going and boosting for some achievements once in a while isn't bad either. Every so often I might pop on here to see if someone wants to help with a Horde achievement in Gears, or help a random multiplayer achievement in a game I really like. I don't try to 1000/1000 games before moving onto the next though.

If I had more time and I was younger, like in high school or still even an undergrad, I would probably be achievement grinding a lot more. But my fiance, dogs, job, and bills are my top priority now!

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
macgyver893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #32
xXxDave69prxXx

xXxDave69prxXx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep View Post
No, because I'm not that addicted. I play a game for fun, achievements are a bonus. I'm not going to go out and buy a game just for achievements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coadster1 View Post
I don't think we should be able to turn off certain achievements. But I wouldn't mind being able to delete certain games off our list, like games with unachievable achievements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
GOD ALL MIGHTY....why the hell would you post on a forum on a site dedicated to getting achievements a stupid thread like this?

You honestly think we are gonna say...yeah...I agree....I just post on these forums to hang out with all the awesome Black Ops community.

xXxDave69prxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #33
Mister Spraggsy

Spraggsy's Gamercard
Disable achievements, no!

Who cares if you have 100% completion. I have and never will buy games based on there achievements, if there is achievements I cant be bothered to do (usually collecting things) I just don't bother. I try to get as many as I can on a game but if I cant be bothered I wont. I don't care if its not complete.

For games like Minecraft and more please visit and subscribe to my Youtube.
www.youtube.com/SpraggsyHD

Last Gen Reflection
Favourite Game: Fallout 3
Favourite Series: Mass Effect
Favourite Multiplayer: Gears of War 2
Mister Spraggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #34
Damian227

The Real DB's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by icypinksmurf View Post
Yes, but the point is not to 'test' games it's to continue playing games in the old way. For the fun of them. Not for some number.
I get this... but why can't you just play the game and not care about the gamerscore, if you no longer have the time to chase it anyway? I've played Fallout 3 about four times... but had finished the gamerscore by the third. I really think gamerscore has become crack to some gamers... a stupid, senseless addiction.
Damian227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #35
otaking live

Send a message via MSN to otaking live

Otaking Live's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Silver Medal   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Silver   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
A recovering addict of achievements? Is there AA for this? Achievements anonymous?

There are worse things to be addicted to. Like tacos.......mmmmmmm.

Last edited by otaking live; 08-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.
otaking live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #36
Pyrochaos

AOS Pyrochaos's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Some of you people take video games WAAAAAY to seriously.

Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #37
Coadster1

Coadster1 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by icypinksmurf View Post
I don't want to turn off certain achievements, I want people who decide they want to, to be able to turn off achievements for themselves only. Dong ma?
I didn't say you wanted to turn them off, I said I wouldn't want that feature available...

Seriously 3.0 (4/17/12)
Unlocking Seriously 3.0 (Click)

1 - HELL Difficulty Mode Cleared. (9/3/12)
(Achievement to hit 100K)
Hitting 100,000 GamerScore (Click)

TrueAchievements
Coadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #38
KeepEmRolling

KeepEmRolling's Gamercard

Deja vu all over again.

No, I don't want to be able to turn off achievements...at least you didn't start a petition to get MS to enable that. It's not going to happen.

This is a site dedicated to gaining achievements. If you're a completionist, that's one thing, but if it drives you to make posts like this, you need to lighten up, imo.

As mentioned, if it bothers you that much, use an alternate account to test a game out. If "testing a game out" rubs you the wrong way, then don't let gamerscore bother you so much. If you just want to play for fun, then do it.
KeepEmRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #39
Paulson

I think it sounds like you don't need a feature to turn off achievements, but rather a different gaming mindset. If you want to play a game just for enjoyment than do it! Avoid the temptation to look at the achievement list and just have fun!
Paulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #40
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver893 View Post
I know what you mean man, sometimes I even wish they were never around. I do miss the days of non-achievement games for the first Xbox. Sometimes if I'm even on the fence about getting a game, I'll check this site to see how easy the achievements are. If they're super hard then that's the deciding factor in not getting it (I've played FEAR2 and FEAR3, but not the first one for this reason).

But they are here and you can't change it. I've been trying lately just to play the games and not look at the achievement list. If I end up getting points for playing, then fantastic. But you can't let them control you and how you play.

Going and boosting for some achievements once in a while isn't bad either. Every so often I might pop on here to see if someone wants to help with a Horde achievement in Gears, or help a random multiplayer achievement in a game I really like. I don't try to 1000/1000 games before moving onto the next though.

If I had more time and I was younger, like in high school or still even an undergrad, I would probably be achievement grinding a lot more. But my fiance, dogs, job, and bills are my top priority now!
Not to be mean, but if you honestly feel this way you might need to see a shrink. You are taking something that is suposed to be a recreational hobby and turning it into a adiction...you are missing out on the fun gaming is suposed to give you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
Some of you people take video games WAAAAAY to seriously.
So true...

Michigan Members Unite!
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #41
caustic christ

Caustic Christ's Gamercard
What a stupid thread, What do you expect for people to be like," oh hell yeah, i want to turn off achievements and lose the 90000GS that took me 2 consoles and 5 years to get"

caustic christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #42
HabsCen10ial

HabsCen10ial's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWolve View Post
This really is a stupid thread. If you don't care about achievements, then why would you care if you got them or not? If you do care about achievements then why would you want to turn them off? I really do not understand what you are trying to get at and why you think this is a good idea. I am sorry if I am not seeing your thought process but I honestly can not think of any reason why anyone would want the option to turn off achievements. It just does not make sense...
When my friends come over and want me to try a game they bought that I have no interest in then yes, I would like the option to turn them off. I suppose I could tell them to take their game and stick it but I'm not that mean.

Credit goes to Xerofox for the amazing Montreal Canadiens sig!

HabsCen10ial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #43
ExtremeRugburn

Extreme Rugburn's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
This is an intriguing prospect. I would use this option if it was available. That way I could try games out without having to worry about unlocking one achievment and then never playing it again. Demos are good for this but sometimes demos are not a good measure of the entire game.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #44
EmporerDragon

EmporerDragon's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeRugburn View Post
That way I could try games out without having to worry about unlocking one achievment and then never playing it again.
Or you could just play it on a throwaway account if it bothers you that much.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #45
otaking live

Send a message via MSN to otaking live

Otaking Live's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Silver Medal   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Silver   XBA Promoter
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmporerDragon View Post

As like 10 people already said.

otaking live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #46
Spanish Assault

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmporerDragon View Post
Why is this so hard to comprehend?

This is a perfect example of people over complicating an issue.

Michigan Members Unite!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #47
addymartini

Send a message via MSN to addymartini Send a message via Skype™ to addymartini

addymartini's Gamercard
Wow, just wow! One of these days achievements and gamerscore and what not is going to end up being a class A drug there that addictive!

Wow people need to come back to reality and grow up...

addymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #48
Der Fuhrer

Panzer x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
That would be good, it has happened to me twice now, with MOH: Airborne and GRAW 2, that while I wasn't at my house but my friend was, he played both those games on my gamertag and got me achievements in them, now I have to try and finish them since I am trying to raise my completion percentage above 90%.
Der Fuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #49
macgyver893

MACGYV3R's Gamercard

Quote:
Not to be mean, but if you honestly feel this way you might need to see a shrink. You are taking something that is suposed to be a recreational hobby and turning it into a adiction...you are missing out on the fun gaming is suposed to give you.
Yeah true, what I said was probably so terrible I need to see a shrink. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #50
Spanish Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver893 View Post
Yeah true, what I said was probably so terrible I need to see a shrink. Thanks for the help.
Don't remember saying it was terrible, drama queen.

But if you feel the need to whine to complete strangers that you can't play a game that you know would be too hard to get all the achievements, then you are right...you dont need to see a shrink...you need to get your ass kicked for being a whinny little baby.

Michigan Members Unite!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #51
macgyver893

MACGYV3R's Gamercard

Quote:
Don't remember saying it was terrible, drama queen.

But if you feel the need to whine to complete strangers that you can't play a game that you know would be too hard to get all the achievements, then you are right...you dont need to see a shrink...you need to get your ass kicked for being a whinny little baby.
lol I make a sarcastic comment and you go make a dick comment. I guess I should have expected that though. For the record, I wasn't "whining" to anyone, I was commenting to the original poster about his topic. Don't really understand why you have to be so hostile....

And stop taking things I say out of context. I said if there's a game I'm on the fence about getting, I'll look at the achievements and that might help me decide if I'll get it or not. Please learn to read.

Edit: Let's just drop this and let the topic not get derailed, ok?

Last edited by macgyver893; 08-09-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #52
rekikire

rekikire x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - rekikire   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   1,000 Posts   x360a Representer   GSL 10 Winner   GSL 10 MVP   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Fuhrer View Post
That would be good, it has happened to me twice now, with MOH: Airborne and GRAW 2, that while I wasn't at my house but my friend was, he played both those games on my gamertag and got me achievements in them, now I have to try and finish them since I am trying to raise my completion percentage above 90%.
Use the tools that you currently have available. Either keep your gamertag on a USB stick and carry it with you, or put a passcode on your gamertag so that if they don't know the passcode they can't sign in on that tag.
rekikire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #53
RufftyMan

RufftyMan's Gamercard
Not at all.

I don't play games to gain achievements. I play game to enjoy myself. The achievements are just an added bonus and are sometimes there to add a little longevity to a title.
RufftyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #54
LtMajorMuffin

LtMajorMuffin's Gamercard
Sure, why not? Wouldn't hurt anything or anyone if the option was available.

A lot of the replies to this are, "No, that would be stupid because I wouldn't use it." Well then, DON'T USE IT. The option's there, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. If you do, then go ahead and do it, disable your achievements. I wouldn't use it, but if some people wanted to disable them for whatever reason then more power to them. (Hypothetically speaking.)

Fact of the matter is, if it were available to disable achievements, it's a simple option that most people won't have to worry about. You want achievements? Then they're there, nothing changes for you. You don't want them? Then disable them. Problem solved. (Hypothetically speaking.)

icypinksmurf doesn't need the hate. It was a 'what if' sort of question. Nothing to start thrashing the guy about. It was just a thought of his he wanted to share with the people here.

That being said, Microsoft would probobly never give something like this a second thought; they have no real reason to give us this option.
LtMajorMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #55
Worhammer

Worhammer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsCen10ial View Post
When my friends come over and want me to try a game they bought that I have no interest in then yes, I would like the option to turn them off. I suppose I could tell them to take their game and stick it but I'm not that mean.
Or you could create a dummy profile and play it on that. Or tell them to bring their profiles on a USB stick.

You have hundreds of options that would not take more than 5 minutes to solve your supposed problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMajorMuffin View Post
Sure, why not? Wouldn't hurt anything or anyone if the option was available.

A lot of the replies to this are, "No, that would be stupid because I wouldn't use it." Well then, DON'T USE IT. The option's there, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. If you do, then go ahead and do it, disable your achievements. I wouldn't use it, but if some people wanted to disable them for whatever reason then more power to them. (Hypothetically speaking.)

Fact of the matter is, if it were available to disable achievements, it's a simple option that most people won't have to worry about. You want achievements? Then they're there, nothing changes for you. You don't want them? Then disable them. Problem solved. (Hypothetically speaking.)

icypinksmurf doesn't need the hate. It was a 'what if' sort of question. Nothing to start thrashing the guy about. It was just a thought of his he wanted to share with the people here.

That being said, Microsoft would probobly never give something like this a second thought; they have no real reason to give us this option.

Why not? Because in order to get such an option, it would require time and money spent by Microsoft. Time and money I would rather they spent on something that benefits us, not something that you can SOLVE BY LOGGING OUT OF YOUR FRICKING PROFILE, or JUST STOP CARING ABOUT COMPLETION PERCENTAGE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER. Time and money they could spend fixing the party chat issues, or making the dashboard not be so slow, or making xbox.com not be so slow. Or any of another million things that actually need to be fixed. The old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." - well, achievements ain't broke.

Although, you are right. he did ask "What if." - he asked a question. We gave him an answer. Another old saying comes to mind, "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer."

"The average white man thinks about sex every six seconds, but he only thinks about sex with a black man once a year."

Last edited by Worhammer; 08-09-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Worhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #56
Der Fuhrer

Panzer x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekikire View Post
Use the tools that you currently have available. Either keep your gamertag on a USB stick and carry it with you, or put a passcode on your gamertag so that if they don't know the passcode they can't sign in on that tag.
I think I am going to have to, GRAW 2 happened while I was on vacation so I hadn't bothered to hide my power cord or anything.
Der Fuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #57
Spanish Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worhammer View Post
Or you could create a dummy profile and play it on that. Or tell them to bring their profiles on a USB stick.

You have hundreds of options that would not take more than 5 minutes to solve your supposed problem.

Why not? Because in order to get such an option, it would require time and money spent by Microsoft. Time and money I would rather they spent on something that benefits us, not something that you can SOLVE BY LOGGING OUT OF YOUR FRICKING PROFILE, or JUST STOP CARING ABOUT COMPLETION PERCENTAGE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER. Time and money they could spend fixing the party chat issues, or making the dashboard not be so slow, or making xbox.com not be so slow. Or any of another million things that actually need to be fixed. The old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." - well, achievements ain't broke.

Although, you are right. he did ask "What if." - he asked a question. We gave him an answer. Another old saying comes to mind, "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer."
good point....of course this time and money they invest would get passed right down to us...

so again...no thanks.

I'm done with this stupid topic.

Michigan Members Unite!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #58
MORON2

You do know achievements are optional and you don't have to get them if you don't want to right?.
MORON2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #59
LtMajorMuffin

LtMajorMuffin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worhammer View Post

Hey, I do agree with you on the point that it doesn't need to be an option. I also said that Microsoft wouldn't even give this a thought.

I could care less about my achievement/completion ratio and I'm certainly not gonna waste time logging in and out of my profile. I would never use it, but it wouldn't bother me if this was made available. I also agree that it'd be more practical to fix the things you listed (although I never use xbox.com), over adding something as trivial as this. All I was saying it was unnecessary to tell this guy he's stupid and that this is a stupid thing to want to ask.

You're exactly right when it comes to why they shouldn't do this, and in saying that achievements aren't broken. I take back saying that this wouldn't hurt anyone- Microsoft shouldn't bother with anything like this; but they never would anyway.

I just didn't see the need to bash the guy for asking, as some others have, that's all.
LtMajorMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #60
Capn Doug
Graphics Team

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - rekikire   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 48 (more» ...)
Hey, Microsoft! I got the Living Legends achievement in Guitar Hero 3, but I forgot to re-enable achievements! I demand that you give me credit for it! Same thing happened with Final Fantasy XI! I want my achievements!

Alternate joke answer, though more serious: I'm a rabid completionist. If I have no chance of completing a game, I won't play it. My cat, on the other hand, has no such problem. She went and played Guitar Hero 6, Forza 2, all the hard games. Actually, it was her recommendation that these games were actually completable that made me take a second look at them and start them up. She's very nice that way. Even helps me get some multiplayer achievements. We should all be lucky to have pets that can game.

I know others have already suggested the latter, but, really. It is invaluable. Even if you are just not ready to start a game yet.