PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Half Life 2: The Orange Box
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Fire Mage

HARDLUCKDUCK's Gamercard
Anybody Else... *SPOILERS*

Get pretty damn sad when Eli got killed at the end of Episode Two, but not give a damn when Alyx was stabbed at the beginning?

Personally... I hate Alyx really. And I know it's grieving, but her moaning at the end actually served to lessen the intensity of Eli's death and make it more annoying.

I don't know, I was just wondering if anybody else dislikes her and has any thoughts on why I feel like this.

Fire Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
ONI recon 111

Oni Recon 111's Gamercard
I was sad when he died, and Alyx annoys me too. Never helps me when i need help, helps when i don't need it, gets in the way, makes annoying comments...

Poor Eli :'(
TES IV Oblivion, Fable II, Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Lego Star Wars TCS, Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty World at War, Modern Warfare 2, Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood, The Saboteur, Star Wars TFU, Civilisation Revolution, Dash of Destruction, Dead Rising Case Zero, Halo Reach (w/o DLC), Metro 2033, Mass Effect 2 (w/o DLC), Call of Duty Classic, Mass Effect

Working on-
The Orange Box, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, Medal of Honor
ONI recon 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
RadiantViper

radiantviper's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Why don't you like Alyx? I usually don't feel much emotion for video game characters, but I actually liked Alyx a lot.
RadiantViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Herr Shaun

Herr Shaun's Gamercard
I like Alyx as a support character. She's not really that annoying, unless she's telling me to hurry up or something. I wasn't worried when she got stabbed at the beginning, because it was 2 seconds into the game and I doubted anything bad would come of it. It would be sadder if say, you recovered the larval extract but she was too fargone and died anyway, then you had to go to White Forest yourself and give Eli the bad news.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
klokwerk

Kl0kwerk's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Shaun View Post
I like Alyx as a support character. She's not really that annoying, unless she's telling me to hurry up or something. I wasn't worried when she got stabbed at the beginning, because it was 2 seconds into the game and I doubted anything bad would come of it. It would be sadder if say, you recovered the larval extract but she was too fargone and died anyway, then you had to go to White Forest yourself and give Eli the bad news.
That would be difficult as Gordon doesn't talk.

May 28, 2010 April 2, 2011
klokwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
pauly_27

I was just glad DOG survived...

And I won't believe Eli is dead until it's confirmed in the next Half Life game. I admit it looks bad, but those Vortigaunts are pretty handy with their healing hands.
pauly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #7
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
True enough but I'm not sure how the Vorts would be able to put bits of his brain back together.

I liked Alyx, glad her and DOG both survived. Glad to have a female main character who is an ass-kicker instead of the woe-is-me protect me crap and she is instrumental in getting One Free Bullet in Ep. 1 blasting enemies left right and everywhere. She rocks.

Though I'm not sure if I can forgive Valve for her "Zombine...get it? Zomebine?" quip from Ep. 1 though. I know it was lame on purpose, written to be so, but that doesn't stop it from being lame.

Portal 2 is coming, and Ep 2 ties Aperture Science and the HL universe together, wondering about the impact of Eli's death as well if Chani from Portal will make an appearence in HL3..or Ep 3....whichever Valve finally gets out there!!!

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
Battosai343

Battosai343's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly_27 View Post
I was just glad DOG survived...

And I won't believe Eli is dead until it's confirmed in the next Half Life game. I admit it looks bad, but those Vortigaunts are pretty handy with their healing hands.
...like Opiate stated, his brains were sucked out. There's no coming back from that.

I love Alyx; she adds a lot of depth and personality to the story/atmosphere. Since Gordon is silent, someone needs to be vocal. Episode 2 had the saddest ending to any game I've ever played. So...so sad.

Working on
Bulletstorm
Battosai343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
COBHC Kthulhu

COBHC Kthulhu's Gamercard
I think it's a pretty good ending. Eli is one brilliant guy in Half-Life 2 story he did a lot, so it's a big loss. But war never change, sacrifice are necessary. I guess Gordon is angry and will kick more ass with blue gravity gun !
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Schism

Schism Octopus's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Alyx was pretty annoying but as Battosai said..some one needs to talk in the game lol Gordon is quiet so there has to be a character that adds "emotion". I think it would be cool if in the next game at the very end...gordon talks and says something epic
Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
METALBOMBr

Send a message via MSN to METALBOMBr

METALBOMBr's Gamercard
I don't have a problem with Alyx, but I was pretty damn sad when Eli died
METALBOMBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
JustiBoy

JustiBoy's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Alyx was pretty annoying but as Battosai said..some one needs to talk in the game lol Gordon is quiet so there has to be a character that adds "emotion". I think it would be cool if in the next game at the very end...gordon talks and says something epic
It would have to be something unimaginably epic to make Gordon have a speaking role lol. But seriously, Gordon will probably never speak that's the way he was designed to be.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
ozgoon56

Ozgoon56's Gamercard
Yes, Eli was very sad, no happy endings for this episode.

I didn't mind Alyx, but I got a bit worried by all the goo-goo eyes she was making at Gordon. Episode 3 = Half Life Happy Families?

And nobody's mentioned the saddest part of the ending - waving a tearful farewell to the Gnome!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
Viking Kong X

viking kong x's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustiBoy View Post
It would have to be something unimaginably epic to make Gordon have a speaking role lol. But seriously, Gordon will probably never speak that's the way he was designed to be.
It's LOADS of fun going through hl2 and the episodes and making Gordon quote Master Chief. XD

Guy: "Seeing as how you brought that chopper in on your tail, you wanna, maybe, help us take it down?"
Gordon: "I need a weapon."

Alyx: "Do you worst, Gordon. But be careful."
Gordon: "Tell that to the covenant."
Viking Kong X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Tim1601

Tim1601's Gamercard
Well if you ever played Half-Life 1...you should know that there are hundreds of other Eli clones running around in lab coats somewhere, as well as Kleiners and Barneys and that guy with the mustache that is still yet to make his appearance.
Tim1601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #16
cebiaw

cebiaw's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
like Silent Bob (Clerks II)

"...I got nothing."
Old 12-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Vanilla Coke Zero
Banned User

canzz's Gamercard
why would you hate alyx? she's one of the only female game characters who wasn't made to appear overly bad ass... i'm actually curious now, why the fuck do you hate her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Kong X View Post
It's LOADS of fun going through hl2 and the episodes and making Gordon quote Master Chief. XD

Guy: "Seeing as how you brought that chopper in on your tail, you wanna, maybe, help us take it down?"
Gordon: "I need a weapon."

Alyx: "Do you worst, Gordon. But be careful."
Gordon: "Tell that to the covenant."
No, no it isn't. Gordon Freeman > Master Chief.

Last edited by Vanilla Coke Zero; 12-14-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Vanilla Coke Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
The Taymanator

The Taymanator's Gamercard
Personally, I like Alyx. I thought they did a fairly decent job with the rendering of facial emotions and the subtle flirting that she engages in with Gordon.

And, I was genuinely upset when Eli died. That just goes to show you how well the game was made....caring for characters is a hallmark of excellent writing.

Hell, I even like Dog, and he isn't even alive! (well, as much as a videogame character can be alive.....you know what I mean....)
The Taymanator is offline   Reply With Quote