PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Sonic CD
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #31
Miles Prower F6
 
Miles Prower F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forgeworld Graia
Posts: 438

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Just about every game in the late 80's through 90's that involved some kind of back and forth exploration element was confusing. Is it bad by today's standards? Yes. Everything today is taken care of for you.

Back in the day you had to read the instruction manual in order to understand what the game was asking of you the player. And even then they didn't always paint the perfect picture, which is why a lot of games back in the day required a lot of trial and error.

This is just an example of one of those trial and error games. It's designed to extend the game and increase replayability since the first time you beat the game you likely didn't create a good future.

Does it mean it's the worst game on XBLA? No. Does it mean perhaps it isn't the right game or genre for you? Probably.

The reason why Sonic CD was released is because SEGA wanted people to play it before Sonic 4 Episode 2 comes out. The reason for that is because Sonic 4 Episode 2 is going to be related to Sonic CD.

So think of Sonic CD as a prequel of sorts.
__________________
Untouchable...Unstoppable...
U N B R E A K A B L E !
A loyal fox with all of Sonic's 360 achievements!

Last edited by Miles Prower F6; 01-03-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #32
scorpion_tk04
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 102

DarkRedScorpion's Gamercard
i agree, i disliked sonic cd ever since i first played it. but being the sonic fanboy i am, i bought it anyway, especially since it was only 400 points

i agree with veedrick on sonic 06. it was a great game imo, despite all the glitches it had.
scorpion_tk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #33
Veedrock
 
Veedrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alaska, USA
Posts: 3,543

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingconduit View Post
How can a plot that literally writes itself out of the continuum be called good? I'm serious, I want to understand. How can ANY plot that includes time travel, yet has characters bitching about needing to get back in time (what?!), be considered good? Please, enlighten me. I'd really like to hear someone else's opinion on this travesty of a storyline.
Maybe I'm a sucker for a good time-travel plot, but I don't see how undoing the events immediately make it bad. TBH the game itself is about the story at hand, not its long term impact on the universe. Ocarina of Time for example writ 5/4 of the game out of existence at the end (until the official timeline came out anyways and gave us split continuities) and it wasn't bad at all.

And where do they bitch about getting back in time? Only thing I can possibly imagine you mean is Silver constantly saying he has to change the "past" (present). When he's saying that, he means with actions in the present, not by constantly going back and retrying the same instances. Additionally, none of the characters could time travel on a whim, it always involved two of them together.

If that's not what you mean, I'm at a loss. There's only 4 instances where they ever travel back and none of them involved whining. Spoilers I guess.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

If you'd like to be a bit more specific in your criticisms I can probably give you a clearer answer, but your post is quite literally saying "It sucks, defend it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower F6 View Post
The reason for that is because Sonic 4 Episode 2 is going to be related to Sonic CD.

So think of Sonic CD as a prequel of sorts.
Um, no? Considering we have zero plot details from Episode 2 that's one hell of an assumption to make. Their only relation is Metal Sonic being present, and by that logic Sonic Heroes must be closely related too. I heavily heavily doubt we see anything else from Sonic CD making an appearance. Sonic 4 is supposed to be a straight series (hence "Episodes," like Sonic 3 to Sonic & Knuckles), not a series of standalone titles that jigsaw all over the timeline.

EDIT: Alright I stand corrected, I apologize. I never bothered to watch the trailers because I've already played the game. I'm suddenly a lot more interested in Episode 2 now, though I still don't see how Episode 1 fits in there.

Also I wish this forum had strikeout enabled >.> Much better than whiting it out.

Last edited by Veedrock; 01-08-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Veedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #34
scorpion_tk04
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 102

DarkRedScorpion's Gamercard
veedrock, it has been announced that sonic cd is a prequel

scorpion_tk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #35
Miles Prower F6
 
Miles Prower F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forgeworld Graia
Posts: 438

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Haha usually I don't have to worry about people doubting my credibility on matters of Sonic the Hedgehog(being Sonic's sidekick carries some responsibility), but I forget that this isn't the SEGA forum. I should have posted my source alongside my claim.

If S4E2 goes for some type of gameplay like Sonic CD, I think that'd turn out to be an interesting game. After all, they release a Sonic game every year, why make more of the same thing? This is a good opportunity for them to take STH 2D gameplay in a different direction.
__________________
Untouchable...Unstoppable...
U N B R E A K A B L E !
A loyal fox with all of Sonic's 360 achievements!
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
scorpion_tk04
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 102

DarkRedScorpion's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower F6 View Post
Haha usually I don't have to worry about people doubting my credibility on matters of Sonic the Hedgehog(being Sonic's sidekick carries some responsibility)
you are not tails.... if you were, you would be too young for this site
scorpion_tk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #37
Miles Prower F6
 
Miles Prower F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forgeworld Graia
Posts: 438

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_tk04 View Post


you are not tails.... if you were, you would be too young for this site
Don't forget that not every incarnation of MTP is so young. He's 38 in one of his incarnations.
__________________
Untouchable...Unstoppable...
U N B R E A K A B L E !
A loyal fox with all of Sonic's 360 achievements!
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #38
JaxTH
 
JaxTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 779

jaxth's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower F6 View Post
Don't forget that not every incarnation of MTP is so young. He's 38 in one of his incarnations.
Don't you mean 41?
__________________


Friggin SEGA fanboy FOR LIFE!!!

My Achievement Guides & Roadmaps:

Retail
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Arcade
Space Channel 5: Part 2 Sonic CD Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 NiGHTS Into Dreams... Sonic the Fighters
JaxTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #39
Miles Prower F6
 
Miles Prower F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forgeworld Graia
Posts: 438

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxTH View Post
Don't you mean 41?
Well that's just it. Depends on which X Years Later.
__________________
Untouchable...Unstoppable...
U N B R E A K A B L E !
A loyal fox with all of Sonic's 360 achievements!
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #40
scorpion_tk04
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 102

DarkRedScorpion's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower F6 View Post
Don't forget that not every incarnation of MTP is so young. He's 38 in one of his incarnations.
when was he 38?..... or 41?......
scorpion_tk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #41
JaxTH
 
JaxTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 779

jaxth's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_tk04 View Post
when was he 38?..... or 41?......
In the comics.
__________________


Friggin SEGA fanboy FOR LIFE!!!

My Achievement Guides & Roadmaps:

Retail
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Arcade
Space Channel 5: Part 2 Sonic CD Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 NiGHTS Into Dreams... Sonic the Fighters
JaxTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #42
scorpion_tk04
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 102

DarkRedScorpion's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxTH View Post
In the comics.
you mean this tails? http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Tails_(MxYL)

if so, its a poor counter argument considering this is a "future" version of tails. he's still about 8 years old in the present time
scorpion_tk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #43
JaxTH
 
JaxTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 779

jaxth's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_tk04 View Post
you mean this tails? http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Tails_(MxYL)

if so, its a poor counter argument considering this is a "future" version of tails. he's still about 8 years old in the present time
Yeah, that one.

In the Prime Zone he is only 11.
__________________


Friggin SEGA fanboy FOR LIFE!!!

My Achievement Guides & Roadmaps:

Retail
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Arcade
Space Channel 5: Part 2 Sonic CD Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 NiGHTS Into Dreams... Sonic the Fighters
JaxTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #44
Miles Prower F6
 
Miles Prower F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forgeworld Graia
Posts: 438

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_tk04 View Post
you mean this tails? http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Tails_(MxYL)

if so, its a poor counter argument considering this is a "future" version of tails. he's still about 8 years old in the present time
The timeline is that there is a video game canon, and comic canons. This is the most true statement.

So you'd have to try and state which canon is more superior, or more relevant to move your argument further ahead. The ongoing(never ends on SEGA forum) discussion of which canon is, or is not, more or less relevant isn't very meaningful to me, so it doesn't matter at all to me if you view my counter argument as poor.
__________________
Untouchable...Unstoppable...
U N B R E A K A B L E !
A loyal fox with all of Sonic's 360 achievements!
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #45
scorpion_tk04
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 102

DarkRedScorpion's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower F6 View Post
The timeline is that there is a video game canon, and comic canons. This is the most true statement.

So you'd have to try and state which canon is more superior, or more relevant to move your argument further ahead. The ongoing(never ends on SEGA forum) discussion of which canon is, or is not, more or less relevant isn't very meaningful to me, so it doesn't matter at all to me if you view my counter argument as poor.
i didnt mention anything about canon. i know the videogames and comics use a different canon. the tails in that link, is from the "Mobius X Years Later" universe. with a name like that, it's clear that it is a future universe, and not one that takes place in the present time. he is only 11 in the present.
scorpion_tk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #46
Miles Prower F6
 
Miles Prower F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forgeworld Graia
Posts: 438

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_tk04 View Post
it's clear that it is a future universe, and not one that takes place in the present time. he is only 11 in the present.
The timelines are tied to the canon, so they are one and the same when we talk about incarnations of this or that character.

But, that's about as far as I want to get into all this time and canon and contiuum discussions(no one ever wins) so it really just comes down to this: Don't matter to me who disagrees with me.
__________________
Untouchable...Unstoppable...
U N B R E A K A B L E !
A loyal fox with all of Sonic's 360 achievements!

Last edited by Miles Prower F6; 01-11-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #47
scorpion_tk04
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 102

DarkRedScorpion's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower F6 View Post
The timelines are tied to the canon, so they are one and the same when we talk about incarnations of this or that character.

But, that's about as far as I want to get into all this time and canon and contiuum discussions(no one ever wins) so it really just comes down to this: Don't matter to me who disagrees with me.
thats as far as you want to get into it? you havent explained anything. not trying to say youre wrong, just trying to understand what youre trying to say. i dont read the comics, all i know about the situation is what i got from that link, and that link says its a future version of tails.
scorpion_tk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #48
Miles Prower F6
 
Miles Prower F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forgeworld Graia
Posts: 438

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_tk04 View Post
thats as far as you want to get into it? you havent explained anything. not trying to say youre wrong, just trying to understand what youre trying to say. i dont read the comics, all i know about the situation is what i got from that link, and that link says its a future version of tails.
That's right. I am just choosing not to go into it.

There's a lot of excuses I could use like it's off topic. But the real reason is that I just don't feel like it. Constant arguing on the SEGA forum does that to people over time.

You just get tired of proving yourself and tired of explaining things over the years.

So I choose to do the simple thing - not get into it.

But in other news: did anyone see that progressive commercial featuring Sonic in it?
__________________
Untouchable...Unstoppable...
U N B R E A K A B L E !
A loyal fox with all of Sonic's 360 achievements!
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #49
JaxTH
 
JaxTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 779

jaxth's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I don't even post on the SEGA Forums anymore let alone any of the Sonic boards (sans the comic board when I am there).
__________________


Friggin SEGA fanboy FOR LIFE!!!

My Achievement Guides & Roadmaps:

Retail
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Arcade
Space Channel 5: Part 2 Sonic CD Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 NiGHTS Into Dreams... Sonic the Fighters
JaxTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #50
Miles Prower F6
 
Miles Prower F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forgeworld Graia
Posts: 438

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxTH View Post
I don't even post on the SEGA Forums anymore let alone any of the Sonic boards (sans the comic board when I am there).
Well you made this guide, and it works. So you did something more productive than they did.

I wrote the Sonic Free Riders achievement guide(inspired by 360a) on the SEGA forum, unfortunately since the game wasn't extremely popular, it only helped a few people.

I also hosted the the Sonic 4 poll on the SEGA forums which even caught the eyes of their staff.
__________________
Untouchable...Unstoppable...
U N B R E A K A B L E !
A loyal fox with all of Sonic's 360 achievements!
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #51
Sprites7
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 20

Sprites7's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyClay87 View Post
So then the question is, which is the "worst" of Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles and CD?
It's sonic 2!
this one was cool , though I didn't played it back then , I didn't have the mega CD

This race ... I spent some hours to get that achievement! the most frustrating is when you beat your record, didn't got hit, but finished second and thus die.
Sprites7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #52
eicapt
 
eicapt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 60

eiCapt's Gamercard
this "Sonic CD" is proabably the best Sonic game that has been ported for achivements, also graphic and has the best game physics out of all of them as well.

have really enjoyed playing this game (frustrated at times), but Sonic 3 is still my fav overall
__________________

eicapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #53
Aussie Rage
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in my own little world
Posts: 123

Aussie rage's Gamercard
You obviously never played it on Mega CD, these re-releases are (I think) for nostalgia and maybe also to show the history of sonic games to people who are too young to have been there. So please take it for what it is and keep your negetive opinions of the game to yourself.
Aussie Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #54
YiazmatXII
 
YiazmatXII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 309

YiazmatXII's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Rage View Post
You obviously never played it on Mega CD, these re-releases are (I think) for nostalgia and maybe also to show the history of sonic games to people who are too young to have been there. So please take it for what it is and keep your negetive opinions of the game to yourself.
You obviously never read my post properly.

I said the meal sonic race has clearly been changed. This would imply to most people that I had played the original!!
__________________
YiazmatXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #55
o CrAsH MaN o
 
o CrAsH MaN o's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24

o CrAsH MaN o's Gamercard
I remember playing this on PC...

Sonic CD is a hidden gem
This is definitely going to be the next arcade game I get, as this is the one Sonic game that I truly never got to experience fully!
o CrAsH MaN o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #56
Optomistic
 
Optomistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 409

timutimu's Gamercard
I'll probably pick this up when it goes on sale next week. Just finished the train wreck that was sonic adventure. What the hell sega!?! Get some GOOD bug testers, or a decent QA department and iron out your stupid sonic glitch and bugs. Laaaaazy.
__________________
Proudest XBLA 100%

Limbo, Catan, Yu Gi Oh!, Hexic, Sonic adventure, SSF2HDR
Optomistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #57
Rodni Demental
 
Rodni Demental's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 227
Send a message via MSN to Rodni Demental

Rodni Demental's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0961 View Post
If you watch both of those from start to finish and still don't see how anyone can honestly dislike the game, I really don't know what to say to you.
How can watching a video convince me to dislike actually playing a game. It's quite a different experience really, deliberately trying to watch all the bad things you can come up with versus actually just playing the game as an experience. If you wanna get frustrated that's your choice as well and I'm not blind to the things that people have a problem with, they just didn't bother me as much. I still manged to really enjoy playing Sonic 06 and I still go back to it to play on occasion.
Rodni Demental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #58
Kaiser779
 
Kaiser779's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7

kaiser779's Gamercard
Just because I don't like the game, doesn't mean it's a bad game... It just did a lot of things differently. Out of the classics, I would say it's the worst though. Best being S&K, then S2, S3, S1 and then CD.

As for Sonic 06... Ugh. I am a pretty big Sonic fan. I'll buy the games regardless of what is said about them and make my own opinion. I've sat down and grinded speedruns on certain games, even achieving world records at times, so I'm pretty patient I'd say; But I had to kinda of force myself to finish 06. It was just rushed sadly.
Kaiser779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #59
WiltonStreet
 
WiltonStreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 24

WiltonStreet's Gamercard
Picked this up recently when it was in the sale for 160 points. I'd heard so many people raving about it so I was looking forward to playing it.

Not liking it so far at all. Maybe it's just because it was the only 'classic' Sonic game that I hadn't played when I was younger.

Always hear people saying how great the soundrack is/was as well. It sounds like 90s gay club music.

I do like the game, and I like the time travel idea. But in terms of level design and overall feel, it doesn't really compare to Sonic 1,2,3 & S&K for me. Again though, that might just be my (lack of) nostalgia talking
WiltonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #60
Dramatic Unknown
 
Dramatic Unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex
Posts: 458

Dramatic Unknwn's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Wow. So wrong.
Dramatic Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:03 AM.