PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Half Life 2: The Orange Box
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Falk3r
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 172

Falk3r's Gamercard
Aperture Science - Everything You Need to Know

You want the gold medals? I've got 'em. They're entirely do-able with a little cheating, though, not stupid-easy. You still need to work quickly to beat a few time-levels and pretty carefully to beat a few step-levels.

Cheats?!
Yep. Cheats.

Disclaimer: When you use a cheat on a level, you cannot finish the level without being labelled a cheater. Approach the exit elevator, but before entering save the game. Quit to the Orange Box Main Menu. Relaunch Portal

CRITICAL STEP
Load a "New" Game, pick the same level. Let the game load the start of that level and then load the saved game. Walk in the exit elevator, boom. Gold Medal.

If you do NOT load the "New" level first, the game will glitch and you will lose ALL MEDALS. Additionally, you will have to play out the last chapter of the story again to even unlock the challenge levels.

Cheats:
Generate a Block
Down B A B Y Down B A B Y

Shoot an Energy Ball
Up Y Y X X A A B B Up

Enable Portals on ANY Surface
Y A Y A B A B Y Left Right

Invincibility
LB Up RB Up LB LB Up RB RB Up

  • Those are all I used. More exist, but aren't needed.
  • Directions indicate D-Pad
  • Before doing this, disable X,Y,A,B from your Controls. Let LB and RB manage jump and item-pickup. LS will be duck. This way you won't be accidentally adding extra steps when you're entering the cheat codes.
Yeah, this information already exists somewhere but I had a hard time finding it all in one spot. Enjoy the shortcut to imaginary victory points.
Falk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
Ivan Mendez
 
Ivan Mendez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 217
Send a message via Yahoo to Ivan Mendez

eyes of artist's Gamercard
whats the point of cheating
__________________
Ivan Mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
d0ct0rscarecr0w
 
d0ct0rscarecr0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,620

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mendez View Post
whats the point of cheating
I'm going to guess that means you got this legitimately. Well great job on that you truly are an expert gamer.

If you by chance haven't gotten this achievement then realize that lots of us like to actually get the achievement, and for 40G I'm not going to go cry in a corner about how I wrecked my chances to get it normally.

And with Still Alive out you can still get a actual score seeing as cheats are disabled there :3
__________________
If I ever wrote a long statement and you think it's too long just read the last paragraph, it's usually my tl;dr paragraph.
d0ct0rscarecr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
XxSamuraiHeroxX
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21

XxSamuraiHeroxX's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mendez View Post
whats the point of cheating
hay ill tell you why beacuse i think that your supposed to beacuse it is nearly impossible.
XxSamuraiHeroxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
d0ct0rscarecr0w
 
d0ct0rscarecr0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,620

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSamuraiHeroxX View Post
hay ill tell you why beacuse i think that your supposed to beacuse it is nearly impossible.
obviously that's not true seeing as they made cheats turn of achievement, only reason you can do it is because they missed a step.
__________________
If I ever wrote a long statement and you think it's too long just read the last paragraph, it's usually my tl;dr paragraph.
d0ct0rscarecr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
TRIIGGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 48

TRllGGER's Gamercard
The code for PORTALS ANYWHERE is Y A B A B Y Y A Left Right.
TRIIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Castlevania1995
 
Castlevania1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 596

Castlevania1995's Gamercard
I realize that everyone should be able to play a game as they want to play it, so if you want to use cheats, that is perfectly fine. However, I just don't understand the point of using cheats to gain achievements.

What is the reason that many of you just simply want the achievements and gamerscore? My view on the subject is the following; If you did not have to put in an effort to gain something that should be a reflection of your skill and patience, then doesn't that make it worthless? What is the point of having a high gamerscore if you gained it by playing the easiest games and using exploits to gain the achievements?

If the achievement was easy to obtain, doesn't that make it essentially meaningless? I can only think of 3 reasons to cheat to gain achievements: Having a high gamerscore because you're a collector, but without the points having a real meaning, Creating the illusion of being an experienced gamer, or Claiming to have gotten the achievement legitimately to increase your internet status.

Now, please note that I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just want to know what the point is of cheating to gain achievements.
__________________
Proudest Achievement:

From Ninja Gaiden II, known as one of the most difficult games on the Xbox 360

I completed the entire game without glitching, farming essence, skipping fights or skipping Tests of Valor. It was extremely difficult (being my first action game), but I'm proud of having been able to destroy everything the game threw at me.
If anyone knows any difficult (but fair) and cheap game, please let me know so that I can try to beat it
Castlevania1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
Dcon6393
 
Dcon6393's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 919

dcon6393's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlevania1995 View Post
I realize that everyone should be able to play a game as they want to play it, so if you want to use cheats, that is perfectly fine. However, I just don't understand the point of using cheats to gain achievements.

What is the reason that many of you just simply want the achievements and gamerscore? My view on the subject is the following; If you did not have to put in an effort to gain something that should be a reflection of your skill and patience, then doesn't that make it worthless? What is the point of having a high gamerscore if you gained it by playing the easiest games and using exploits to gain the achievements?

If the achievement was easy to obtain, doesn't that make it essentially meaningless? I can only think of 3 reasons to cheat to gain achievements: Having a high gamerscore because you're a collector, but without the points having a real meaning, Creating the illusion of being an experienced gamer, or Claiming to have gotten the achievement legitimately to increase your internet status.

Now, please note that I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just want to know what the point is of cheating to gain achievements.
True, but sometimes people just want to get the achievement and move on. I have 18/19 gold medals (stupid least steps on 16) and love the challenge. I really and almost pushed to glitching the last one because it is so ridiculous to get the stupid energy balls to go randomly into a receiver using a box while going around 5 walls. I got lucky once, but got 152 steps and realized it was my first part where i got the extra steps. So 3 hours of work for nothing. That is truely the only puzzle in the game where I find it ridiculous to be forced to do that to get gold (maybe the camera trick on 18 is ridiculous to for some people, as well as the camera trick on time on 17). But that is just my rage induced rant haha.

I agree with you, but sometimes an achievement will bug me because I know I can glitch it and it will take a lot of luck to get it. I just want to move on with this one to still alive so I can try to compete with the leaderboards, but I will give it a few tries

EDIT: Finally got it, I got 148 steps because I got really really lucky. I actually just fired a portal and started texting and the energy ball found the reciever, finally haha. But as kind of a slap in the face my internet cut out right after I dropped the cube in the incinerator, so no time stamp. Ah well.
__________________

Last edited by Dcon6393; 06-16-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Dcon6393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Delow317
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 914

Delow317 XBL's Gamercard
Angry Any videos online showing OJ Box on 360 gold challenges using cheats?

Nice thread but I'm ready to give up on finishing the orange box with 100% because of these portal challanges. There are absolutely no videos online that are captured from a 360 while using the cheats and the save glitch. I don't want to have to even wrap my head around this crap and I never liked Portal to begin with.

It's a damn shame too, If I would have known that aperture science achievement would have prevented me from total completion, I wouldn't have bothered with the other cheeves.

All these people that claim they did this in a day using cheats, I have one thing to say to you, "I've been gaming since 1978 on consoles exclusively (yeah I despise pc gaming) and never in my life have I come accross such a ridiculous challange as these Gold Challenges!"

I have 3 games to complete before my gamefly trial runs out and am seriously considering just saying fugit with this game. I'd rather put up with trying that Mile High Club again in COD4 or even put up with getting that last cheeve in COD Classic then to have to hurt my brain and waste my time with this.

Does anyone know of any video guides for gold that were actually captured on 360's and also show them using cheats? If not, then this game will just have to stay uncompleted.

Thanks
Delow317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
Delow317
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 914

Delow317 XBL's Gamercard
Angry

Actually nevermind what I said about finding those cheat videos. I never cared for Valve's games anyhow and Have decided to delete my save of 6 golds and am returning this peice of shit back to gamefly tomorrow. Not worth my time or effort as these challanges were clearly designed for pc and I don't do pc gaming.

Anyhow I'm done here and done with Valve as well. Never liked Half Life or Left 4 dead either tbh.
Delow317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
RyanfaeScotland
 
RyanfaeScotland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: U.K.
Posts: 56

RyanfaeScotland's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delow317 View Post
Actually nevermind what I said about finding those cheat videos. I never cared for Valve's games anyhow and Have decided to delete my save of 6 golds and am returning this peice of shit back to gamefly tomorrow. Not worth my time or effort as these challanges were clearly designed for pc and I don't do pc gaming.

Anyhow I'm done here and done with Valve as well. Never liked Half Life or Left 4 dead either tbh.
That's a shame that you're giving up but I guess it isn't for everyone. I've only played Portal on the Orange Box so far and enjoyed it, the humour was brilliant and the game play was good fun, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy Half Life or Team Fortress as much but we'll see. Anyway what I was going to get to before starting rambling is that although the Orange Box is a great deal with the amount of games provided, if you don't like the games on it then it doesn't matter how many there are it's not worth getting. So yea, returning it is probably your best option.
__________________
Currently playing:
Quake Wars: Enemy Territory
Dead Rising 1
RyanfaeScotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
AtomicThumbs
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 59

AtomicThumbs's Gamercard
Just got Aperture Science. Probably the toughest achievement I've done. I used a combination of glitches and cheats (yeah, I cheated) and it was still damn hard. Probably the toughest one by far is the time trial in Chamber 13. Cheats won't help you and you have to do everything absolutely perfect.
AtomicThumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
playman1
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 63

LeeroyThornhill's Gamercard
Thanks so much man. This really helped me a lot
__________________
playman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Namaste
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mendez View Post
whats the point of cheating
I'll never understand these "legit" people. This site is about achievements, with any and all ways of obtaining them including cheat codes, glitches, boosting, etc.
Namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Lady Bamelot
 
Lady Bamelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 164

MelissaOliver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
I'll never understand these "legit" people. This site is about achievements, with any and all ways of obtaining them including cheat codes, glitches, boosting, etc.
This may be so, however - anybody can cheat. Skill is hard.
__________________


Lady Bamelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:01 PM.