Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Fallout 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Madd Prerow

Madd Prerow's Gamercard
Is anyone else scared of this game?

I don't know what it is, but I find this game to be freaky. The odd music, the random shootings, the bizzare characters; It just makes me freak out.

Example: I was walking through the wastlands and there sudenly was something shooting at me, and I couldent find what. I ran and ran but it still shot me. PLEASE LORD, STOP THE SHOOTING!!!!

Example: The feral ghouls - enough said

I know im just a big scaredy cat, but im just curious if anyone else felt this way. Post examples if you would like.

-Paul
Madd Prerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Dz06lt

DZ06LT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
i wouldnt say scared, however sometimes the deathclaws or yau Gui will creep up on you.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Vigor

vigor mortivore's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Scared hmm, you would love Point Lookout in that case
Vigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
mikeymud

Mikey Mud's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Prerow View Post
I don't know what it is, but I find this game to be freaky. The odd music, the random shootings, the bizzare characters; It just makes me freak out.

Example: I was walking through the wastlands and there sudenly was something shooting at me, and I couldent find what. I ran and ran but it still shot me. PLEASE LORD, STOP THE SHOOTING!!!!

I know im just a big scaredy cat, but im just curious if anyone else felt this way. Post examples if you would like.

-Paul
Spoilers ahead.

Oh, yes. I took a break after "The Power of the Atom". Then I decided that I was going to finish it and get all the achievements, gosh darn it, and power through. I've done some side quests, and I'm ready to talk to Dr. Li in Rivet City to find my father. I'm halfway to level 13, and do decently in combat. I usually have to reload saves when Dogmeat dies. But some of this "dungeon crawling" is pretty freaky. I'm taking a break from it for a while. Who knows how long this time?
mikeymud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
friedmad

cribbet's Gamercard
if you want freaky, hook up your console to home theater system and play it in 5.1 surround sound. i've got noises coming out of my surround sound speakers that ive never heard before. throw in playing it at night and turning suddenly to see a deathclaw crawling up your butt and yeah, youll jump a few times out of your skin
friedmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Spade.
A La Rev

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Jacob XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
I have a bit of arachnophobia so the scorpions don't exactly help when they jump out of random corners.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Skillet

Send a message via MSN to Skillet

Skillet x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Staff Club - Skillet   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   SOTF Runner Up   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
After so many horror movies, on top of games like Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill... Fallout 3 is far from a scary game. In fact, I find it laughable.

If you really can't stand it, just listen to Galaxy News Radio all the time. Listening to songs about sunshine and happiness while eviscerating raiders is a recipe for good times.

Read them.... apply them.

Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
StevenNeill

stevenneill's Gamercard
Personally I love the game, but the Post Apocalyptic stuff is my favorite...I love a game that can set you on edge and Fallout does a great job of it.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Quote:

-Paul
When I first got this game a few years ago it kinda creeped me out, too, not a lot though and I got used to it pretty fast... It actually creeped me out a LOT more before I got it, watching YouTube gameplays and such, I almost didn't want to get it because it looked SO just... well fucked up, lol, but it proved too tempting. You'll get used to it soon, though and by the time you get to New Vegas you probably won't get scared (although there are some places that still get me going).
WOLFkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Clocktowers

The place that scared me most was Dunwich Building, I don't like ghouls
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
If by "scared" you mean "hated"...yes. I hated this game and it's follow up, "NV". I tried them but just could not get into it. I had friends hope I'd like them but I just couldn't.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
That's clearly not what he means, so why bother posting.

===
I really really hated going into Vaults. Enemies, no enemies, doesn't matter, those were the creepiest things in the universe in my book. I also REALLY REALLY REALLY hate underwater in ANY video game, so I didn't enjoy getting to Pinkerton one bit. I think there was also a cave with a large underwater section? Or maybe that was New Vegas.

I don't handle scary too well though, so when I was new to the game I did get jumps from random enemies popping out from the dark and other sudden things like mines going off. I eventually got used to the general vibe of the game, making it easier on the nerves; it also helps when you mash the VATS button like a bitch to preempt anything that wants to jump you :P
Veedrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
flyestsquire

Flyest squire's Gamercard
Quote:

-Paul
Might I suggest you go outside for some fresh air!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
combustible lemon

unsnaggedfive3's Gamercard
after playing bioshock which trumps any freakyness in this game I wasnt really bothered besides anytime I was uneasy I kept tapping vats so I instantly saw any nasties trying to jump me.
I would have disliked the dunwich building a lot more if I had no follower and I found point lookout to be very creepy (in the swamp with real tough swamp folk, that underground cave with their holy book and the PoW camp were all real bad) with no followers for company and I left my trusty op anchorage power armour behind and took reileys combat armour so felt more vulnerable. you can be sure I jumped on the boat back as soon as I got all the achevs.
combustible lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
Blink

JDS Karma's Gamercard
I've jumped a few times, I must admit. Compared to Dead Space though, this is a childrens game!
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
jeaton85

jeaton85's Gamercard
you could possibly man-up then shoot back.
jeaton85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
When I explored parts of the wasteland as a low level, I kept getting paranoid and turned around frequently to double check if a deathclaw was there. Other than that, not so much.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Going alone in the tunnels, listening some feral ghouls that you canīt see but you know are gonna come sometime for you can scared me sometimes.

Specially playing on a not very good stealth character with not much range for the enemies to appear on your radar (If i do remember correctly there was a S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attribute that affects that didnīt?).

I really dislike closed dark spaces, primary those filled with zombies and alike creatures, both in real life and gaming.

Thereīs too lots of creatures in the game that, without been scary, are pretty creepy. Ants and cockroaches seem very unpleasant to have near, been attacked by or even touch.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNeill View Post
Personally I love the game, but the Post Apocalyptic stuff is my favorite...I love a game that can set you on edge and Fallout does a great job of it.
Totally agree with you!

Achievements completion : 99,39%
Gamerscore completion : 99,35%
Retail games completed : 70/74
I'm a completionist!!!

If you send a friend request, please send a message telling why, otherwise I will just ignore it
Snoop QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #20
Benny34
Banned User

Nah its not scary at all, the only game i played that was remotley scary was condemend criminal orgins.
Benny34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #21
HarakiNinja

HarakiNinja's Gamercard
Nah, it's not really that scary. Looking at Washington like that makes feel a little relieved that the pride of the country could still survive something like that. You know, for a guy who lives in DC...
HarakiNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Scared? No.

Tense? Some areas.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #23
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakiNinja View Post
Nah, it's not really that scary. Looking at Washington like that makes feel a little relieved that the pride of the country could still survive something like that. You know, for a guy who lives in DC...
I believe their intentions were to make the player ask themselves, "shit, did we get ourselves that far that ended up helping our country get destroy?", no patriotism...but whatever.

Post-Apocalyptic plots always play with the concept idea of showing you a horrible scenario of the future where mankind destroys itself, in this case, thanks to nuclear war. DId you truly felt pride that even american writers think your country can ended up playing a mayor part in the destruction of the environment? Now I understand why America contaminate so much without regret, you just donīt give a damn even after so much sci-fi writing about it and scientists warnings.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #24
karromat

karromat's Gamercard
Scared? MY ANSWER IS YES!!! When I play this game, sometimes I stop in middle of a cave, I turn my head to speak with my mom, and when I turn to the computer, a big stupid monster is eating my head, and I start yelling like a kid! Actually, I put off the sound, so I can play without that fear
karromat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #25
Madd Prerow

Madd Prerow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyestsquire View Post
Might I suggest you go outside for some fresh air!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaton85 View Post
you could possibly man-up then shoot back.

Really? Is that really needed? I just asked a question. Thank you all for posting, makes me feel like im not alone on this
Madd Prerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
AlienBlade

Ninetales's Gamercard
Not the game as a whole, but the Giant Radscorpions scare the shit out of me. Especially when I turn around and they have just come from out of nowhere. I don't know what it is, but something about them freaks me out, even their dead bodies freak me out. And proper scorpions in RL don't have an effect on me, it's just those in game.
AlienBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
ChesterBlaise

Chesterblaise's Gamercard
I hate the quest 'Them!' It scares the hell out of me, purely for the jump scares and the sound of the ants legs
ChesterBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #28
captpluto9465

Captpluto9465's Gamercard
It's not outright scary to me, but certain areas set me on edge and the vaults especially make me claustrophobic. The radroaches drive me crazy and the DC area freaks me out mainly because it's so threatening there with all the overpowered enemies.
captpluto9465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #29
BurningChrome

I haven't really been scared, per se.
I never fail to laugh my ass off when I encounter the Raider that sounds like Moe from The Simpsons though!
Sometimes I feel a pang of guilt (or something like that) when I shoot a fleeing raider in the back. But I usually assuage myself with the knowledge that they would have pursued me and dealt the same punishment to me as well.

Also, if you have a chance, check out the McClellan Family Townhome in Georgetown. The first time I had the robot read the "children" the poem, I was very moved by the whole experience. I even Googled the poem and discovered the author Sara Teasdale had written some other very good poetry, if you're into that sort of thing.

The game has a ton of atmosphere and I'll go back to it and play it for a week or two before putting it up again for a bit. But I've never been scared by it.

BurningChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #30
Bubbameister

Bubbameister33's Gamercard
The only thing that creeped me out about this game for the past 4 years are centaurs. For some reason those things are too freaky.

Bubbameister is offline   Reply With Quote