PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > The Darkness 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
WulfSpyder86

WulfSpyder86's Gamercard
thoughts on the darkness 2

Just wondering if anyone else enjoyed The Darkness 2 as much as i did. Really dark, fun, and bloody FPS. Mike Patton does the voice of "the darkness" if you know who he is. The only real downside to the game is that it is quite short, but perfect for a redbox rental. It only took me 4 days to get all the achievements, and i loved every minute of it.
WulfSpyder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
fred56

fred56today's Gamercard
i wish the graphics where better but otherwise i enjoyed it i liked the length of the first one better and the twist in the first better also
fred56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
WulfSpyder86

WulfSpyder86's Gamercard
I have never seen or played the first one though now after playing the second one i would really like to. The game was really short, but since I played it through redbox I didn't really mind.

I really liked the graphics. I felt like I was playing a graphic novel. Though I suppose if your not into that kind of stuff you might not enjoy it like i did. I thought the controls were pretty solid, and the overall dark feeling of the game was really cool. Maybe I'm just biased b/c I'm a fan of Mike Patton, but hearing his demonic sounding voice scream at me while I'm ripping people apart was just an awesome experience for me.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
tunaleg

Tunaleg's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WulfSpyder86 View Post
I have never seen or played the first one though now after playing the second one i would really like to.
You should definitely play the first one, it is better in almost every conceivable way. The first game is way deeper, better written and better voice acted. And if you like Patton he has way better parts in the first.
tunaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
WulfSpyder86

WulfSpyder86's Gamercard
definitely will at some point in the near future. i just got the newer assassin's creed from redbox so that should keep me busy here for a little bit.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
eiVaL

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
this game was lame compared to the first, it turned into a mindless FPS that i couldnt wait till it was over.

eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
catbhoy

catbhoy's Gamercard
Loved it start to finish, great graphics and gameplay. Fun fun fun all the way.
catbhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
tunaleg

Tunaleg's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiVaL View Post
this game was lame compared to the first, it turned into a mindless FPS that i couldnt wait till it was over.
You said it bro. The Darkness was a freakin masterpiece, this supposed sequel is a steaming pile of donkey turd.
tunaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Darkforce412

darkforce412's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaleg View Post
You said it bro. The Darkness was a freakin masterpiece, this supposed sequel is a steaming pile of donkey turd.
\

not to be rude but i seem to see u arguing in every thread about how much u hated the darkness 2. i admit the first one was alot better but u have to admit the gameplay was very well done and u can do like 12 things at once. The only thing that the darkness 2 lacked was the character voices and story.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
bfmv lfc

Mr Evil Donkey's Gamercard
I loved the game. Doing the different types of executions never get boring. I was a bit disappointed with the ending. Apart from that I loved it. Still need to get a few achievements.
bfmv lfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
upindat

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Loved it. Never played the first one. I think I will give it a try. Really like the game. Had a borderlands feel. Cheevoo were fun and don difficulty was not too hard. Very happy with my purchase.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Tyrantus

GeeksDontLie's Gamercard
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and I believe it had it's ups and down from the original. It was disappointing that they replaced most of the original voice actors, bar Mike Patton of course. It definitely wasn't as engrossing or in depth as the first one but there are two key points that I really liked about this sequel:

They made Jackie a more believable character in my opinion. In the first he was like a rampaging goth, which can definitely work (just look at the Crow) but I prefer the more mafioso Jackie in The Darkness 2. It could just be that I didn't like him being overly goth as he wasn't in the comics but I dunno..

I actually like that they are changing the comic plot. Most people complain when something is adapted into another format and it doesn't stick to the original but I've found with a lot of things, that somestimes a drastic change can do a lot of good. That way it's not like just playing some game of the comic/ watching a film of the book etc where you know exactly where it's going to go/what's going to happen. The game has become its own storyline in it's own right. Changing the way the Darkness is passed on (Jackie's dad still being alive after Jackie was concieved) and other points like how they've added the Angelus in etc.

Tyrantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
demonicalex

demonicalex's Gamercard
I thought its a great game. Was sad when it ended. I do hope sales are strong enough to warrant a 3rd one.

And not take 4 years to get it...lol
demonicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Morbious17

Send a message via MSN to Morbious17

Morbious17's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred56 View Post
i wish the graphics where better but otherwise i enjoyed it i liked the length of the first one better and the twist in the first better also
I agree. If there's a 3rd one, I hope they get rid of the lame cartoon graphics.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
perryboy26

strapxassassin1's Gamercard
never played the first one but i thought this one was great. loved everything about it but it was a little on the short side. achievements are easy but varied and fun to get. i am gonna have to try the first one now

Xbox live gamertag: Strapxassassin1
perryboy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
ModernSith2010

demontweak08's Gamercard
Havn't completed this yet, but so far it seems pretty good, like the addition of being able to hard aim/iron sight as the first was a pig in the shooting department, like being able to control the darkness arm.

What I'm not liking is the fact it's cell shaded it looks a step down from the original, I'm pretty sure jakies voice is different and considering it's only suppose to be 3 years later, he now looks like he's skipped from 21 to his mid 30's

I won't comment on the story as I'm not done yet(only just begun), but the major downside is the lost of open world-nes. Last thing can you PM and tell me what you mean by the twist in the first, as I can't remember that.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
KittyChan87

Honestly it was a bit of a disappointment to me. I really disliked the graphics they went with, I don't even know what to call it but the color and shading on the people was kind of lousy. Jackie's little cinemas were annoying to look at, even if he's sitting in a dark room there was too much shadowing. You can barely see him well. With all the advancement in visual technology they really could have done better. And some of the original voice acting was much better (especially Butcher Joyce's). Jackie's new character design was also a step back, he was too small compared to his original appearance in the first one. I will admit though the Darkness's heads looked pretty cool this time. And I did like the different ways you could use them this time around, as well as the leveling up and obtaining different powers and not having to switch through different versions of them to use those powers. They did good there. But the story kind of frustrated me. It felt like the life story you get from Jackie in the first and the story you get in the second don't quite match each other. And the ending felt kind of lazy, like there is no real final challenge. No real final battle with a truly powerful enemy. You think you get one and it's like wait, there's more! Then they pull a Chuck Testa on you. I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil anything, but it just felt too abrupt and not a whole lot better than the first one's ending. And the side missions you play outside the main story are, well...I guess something is better than nothing. Listening to Wilson talk is entertaining. In the end, it's got its good and bad points. But I will say I loved the Darkling, having one that sticks with you acting as a guide to your next destination and actually interacting with you as well as lending assistance during fights was a good addition. Not to mention he was hilarious. As well as that nutjob Johnny Powell, his manner of speech and the things he said made me laugh sometimes. But this is one of those games where I find I liked the prequel better than the sequel.

Last edited by KittyChan87; 03-27-2012 at 01:57 PM.
KittyChan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
Onelastbreath

Onelastbreath09's Gamercard
I'm really enjoying playing it and I very much like the art style. I think that jst comes down to personal taste as I know some people dont buy into this style. Gameplay is fun and gory and the litte darkling dude is funny. The trouble I have is that it's far too short and then ending is disappointing. They leave it open for another but I'm not sure if it was successfull enough for the studio to make another, kinda in the same league as ff 13-2.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
Tonynotimes

TonyNoTimes's Gamercard
I absolutely loved the game, it surprised the hell out of me. I liked the graphical style and gunplay of the sequel better than in the original. What annoyed me the most, was how the replaced the voice actors for Jackie but I eventually got over that.
Tonynotimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #20
MooSaysQuack

ilshg's Gamercard
The story was really good and i love the graphic styles.
The story was kinda depressing but it was good nonetheless!!
Overall in my top 5 games
MooSaysQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #21
mosin360

mosin360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I really disliked the first game. Took two attempts to finish it and that was a pure 'gotta just beat it' grind.

Everything that annoyed me was fixed in the second game. I loved the visuals, the game play, the upgrade system, and all the modes. I'm glad they changed the game up and now I can't wait for the third game. Hell, I even 1000/1000 and didn't even realize till the last mission in vendettas that I was going to.

Last goal met: 225k - September 2, 2014

mosin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #22
KittyChan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin360 View Post
I really disliked the first game. Took two attempts to finish it and that was a pure 'gotta just beat it' grind.

Everything that annoyed me was fixed in the second game. I loved the visuals, the game play, the upgrade system, and all the modes. I'm glad they changed the game up and now I can't wait for the third game. Hell, I even 1000/1000 and didn't even realize till the last mission in vendettas that I was going to.
How would there be a third? The Darkness is gone. Jackie permanently killed himself with the siphon and the Darkness was taken out with him. If the Darkness's host is dead it can't continue to exist. They're both trapped in hell as the Angelus said. Guess it doesn't matter he damned his own soul for the sake of saving the woman he loves, he apparently shouldn't get a second chance because he's 'too dangerous'. Pff, Angelus bitches too much.

KittyChan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
McGoogles

Ratify's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   XBA Promoter   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I thought it was alright. The moments where you were trapped in the asylum got a bit repetitive and annoying (except for Adolf) and the game was relatively short overall.

Just glad I didn't purchase it.
Latest arcade completion: Motocross Madness

McGoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #24
Rums
Banned User

How bout a spoiler tag next time, KittyChan87?

re: Game is awesome.
Rums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
Soul Shiftah

Soul Shiftah's Gamercard
Really enjoyed this game....especially the characters' dialogs.
"Who's Nosfaratu? Ya grandmotha. LOL
Soul Shiftah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #26
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
It's good until the screen goes bright white so you cannot see what's going on. I keep dying in the same place on this one Vendetta mission. It's just plain ridiculous. Ruining what otherwise has been enjoyable so far.

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #27
NykkCarter

NykkZero's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadentBeaver View Post
It's good until the screen goes bright white so you cannot see what's going on. I keep dying in the same place on this one Vendetta mission. It's just plain ridiculous. Ruining what otherwise has been enjoyable so far.
I agree about the screen whiteness - very frustrating sometimes but good game apart from that
NykkCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
Number 1 Greg

my naddy pwnd u's Gamercard
Have you guys played the first game RECENTLY?

I really liked the first game, but come on, the second one is WAY better. I only played these games because my friend told me how *great* it was....

I played the first game years ago and hated it, stopped after the first level.....so this past month I played BOTH games (aka its fresh in my mind).

Now, the first game is very good. The story is good and I like the style (although I also like the second games style as well). Love the underworld levels too.....but overall it doesn't compare to this game.

First of all, using guns in the first game SUCKS. Never mind not having iron sights, the red dot cross hair and clunky controls sucked. Using the Darkness (demon arm for example) also wasn't that great in the first game either. The controls are EXTREMELY tight in this game. Nothing ground breaking but they work, and make the game fun.

And, to the people who liked the open worldiness of the previous game, why?! Its not like that world is inhabited by anybody. Outside of the subway its just an empty world of nothing....

Just my .02 cents. Darkness had a cool story/atmosphere but what 2 lost in a shorter story/less dark atmosphere in made up for in the game actually be EXTREMELY FUN to play.
Number 1 Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
raidenhardcore

raidenhardcore's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiVaL View Post
Just picked this up for a fiver and cant agree with you more, its just rubbish compared to the first which I think was a mindblowing game.

This is just a standard , very linear shoot/beat em up with childish awful cartoon graphics and totally lacks originalilty and suspense of the first one.

Like Bioshock 2 , which was also a major disappointment it seems targeted at a quickly satisfied, younger audience who only like multiplayer shooters.( read: more $$)

Nothing wrong with that , I played 300 hours of Gears of War3 multiplayer, but this just lacks ANY originality whatsoever.

Can't remember any game with that more stupid A.I. who just stand there waiting to be shot and ripped apart.

Last edited by raidenhardcore; 05-29-2013 at 09:44 PM.
raidenhardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
Darkrenegade25

xMvPxVeNGeAnCe's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred56 View Post
The graphics are supposed to be like that, cel-shaded just like the comics.