Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dead Island
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Arenazombie

Arenazombie's Gamercard
Political correctness in DI

Look at what Bill Maher says at 2:16. Its the same with DI.
We have these two dumbfuck guys one of them being an alcoholic and one of them being a criminal. Both of them failing in their life even though they had luck to become famous in the first place.
On the other hand we have these tough girls coming from hard discrimating circumstances but through hard work they could reach their goals. Both being the tough emancipated type. Even though from my experience the majority of women is more of the whiny bitchy type.
Are the characters crafted by some community college social studies lesbians?
After the first trailer I really thought they would put more work into creating believeable characters.
Also we don't always need the standard setting 1 white guy lead character/1 black character (mostly urban gangsta rapper type)/1 woman (tough emancipated type) / random spot (insert Nerd/Asian/Old guy/Redneck/2. female here)
Arenazombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
I thought the same exact thing during my playthrough of this game. With Sam B, it's the worst. He is a black man, who never knew his father because he was locked up, was raised by his grandma, is an aspiring rapper, and suffers from anger problems. Stereotype much?

Hans(nickname) + Jonathan("real" name) = Hansathan
Hansathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Necrophage33

Necrophage33's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansathan View Post
I thought the same exact thing during my playthrough of this game. With Sam B, it's the worst. He is a black man, who never knew his father because he was locked up, was raised by his grandma, is an aspiring rapper, and suffers from anger problems. Stereotype much?
You forgot the fact that he's from N'awlins!
Necrophage33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
ofay

Nopunchespulled's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Honestly I want more English from the Asian lady
ofay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Necrophage33

Necrophage33's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofay View Post
I'd prefer more upskirts.
Necrophage33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
AgEnT STARZz

AgEnT STARZz's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofay View Post
Couldn't agree more

Currently on 101'937 (03/09/13)
Working on: Mass Effect 3(1375/1550), GOW3(1825/2000)

GoW3: Rank 49(Blue) (Seriously 3.0 - 51/65 Onyx - 94.34%)

My Girlfriend takes up to much of my time these days
AgEnT STARZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
Frazerz1990

Frazerz1990's Gamercard
I only like being the white guy, the rest annoy me. But more than anything Jin fills me with so much hate that I'm glad she gets killed at the end!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Wortsenawl

wortsenawl's Gamercard

who cares about the stereotypes... you get to kill zombies. I wouldn't have given two shits if the main protagonists were all match stick people from match stick land. As long as they can A) grab a weapon b) swing said weapon and c) engage in zombie slaying antics then I am as happy as a pig in sh*t.

Actually, I did let out a rather long "oh phuleaaaase" when Sam B popped up.

Join Now!

Completed Games - [70] - Retail [54] - Arcade [16]:
**Most Recent**
Mafia II (all DLC)
LoTR: War in the North
Batman Arkham City (+CW DLC)
Track n Field
Secret of Monkey Island: SE
Dark Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
First, let me say...you deserve to be banned, mocked, and flogged to death with a bag of dicks.
Wortsenawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
1morey

sk8tbdkid's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansathan View Post
So you are saying there has never been a black person who never knew his/her father, raised by grandmother, a rapper/gangster/rapper wannabe/gangster wannabe, and suffer from anger management.

I can assure you that there were and are people throughout the history of mankind that this criteria matched them. I'm not saying every black person is like this, but to deny the fact that there ARE people like this is idiotic.

Take hispanics for example. Not EVERY single one of them have a wife and children at home, and are trying to look for work, and eat mainly rice and beans, but there ARE hispanics that have that lifestyle.

1morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
gravelandx88

gravelandx88's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazerz1990 View Post
I only like being the white guy, the rest annoy me. But more than anything Jin fills me with so much hate that I'm glad she gets killed at the end!
Eh. I didn't really like that characters background. But he was good w/ melee weapons + have 45% chance receiving an upgraded weapon. So I chose him. Went w/ Purna on my 2nd.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
The characters were so mundane and uninteresting, they bored me. The only character I enjoyed and wanted to see more of was the insane woman needing her teddy bear.

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morey View Post
So you are saying there has never been a black person who never knew his/her father, raised by grandmother, a rapper/gangster/rapper wannabe/gangster wannabe, and suffer from anger management.

I can assure you that there were and are people throughout the history of mankind that this criteria matched them. I'm not saying every black person is like this, but to deny the fact that there ARE people like this is idiotic.

Take hispanics for example. Not EVERY single one of them have a wife and children at home, and are trying to look for work, and eat mainly rice and beans, but there ARE hispanics that have that lifestyle.
Your point is valid; but what the original poster is reflecting upon is this generic character development model found in movies and gaming. That type of character is old and outdated.

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
Drucifer82

zI Drucifer Iz's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLYMIDGET View Post
Your point is valid; but what the original poster is reflecting upon is this generic character development model found in movies and gaming. That type of character is old and outdated.
Ninja'd. The quoted response only further supports the OT's point, a stereotype by definition is a generalization of a person or persons based on generally accepted traits, be they authentic or otherwise.

So to say "yes there are black people who are angry/rapper/tough guys" only supports the OT's thoughts that this character build is stereotypical and generic at best.
As of 4/28/14 my Borderlands 2 trading post is officially closed. I am no longer boosting, trading, farming, etc on the Xbox360. I am entirely on the Xbox One now. If you want to play Xbox One with me, send a friend request with a message to GT zI Drucifer Iz (those are capital I's).

Drucifer82 is offline   Reply With Quote