PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
File Size

I've read and posted where file sizes would make you game SNAFU. I looked at my "glitched" game file and it's 19mb and is unuseable. Since I started a new game, yes I did, my files have went from 3mb to 5mb at level 10.

If the bigger file will make it "glitch", how the hell do you keep it small?

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award   2,500 Posts   Micro Guide - Emerald
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain View Post
I've read and posted where file sizes would make you game SNAFU. I looked at my "glitched" game file and it's 19mb and is unuseable. Since I started a new game, yes I did, my files have went from 3mb to 5mb at level 10.

where have you read about the file size being paramount to the game glitching your saves? i dont think that matters at all but cant verify that.

i have mine saved to the hard drive and my very last save is only 13mb, that is at over 100 hours and level 52-ish. so you could try installing it. the overall size of the installed game for me is 4.9gb(pretty big, i know).
Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
One thing that helped my game in Oblivion was to not litter. Any time I scavenged something off a body that I didn't want, I put it back or deposited it in a container of some sort instead of leaving things lying around. Not sure if you are a litterbug or not, just thought I'd let you know what has helped me in the past.

Another thing too, maybe try to clean up some of the misc. quests before getting any more of them added. And if you have 'open' quests, where you start but don't complete, try closing those out first.

I'm no expert, just a tinkerer of sorts.
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
ChickinOnaChain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottttocs View Post
where have you read about the file size being paramount to the game glitching your saves? i dont think that matters at all but cant verify that.

i have mine saved to the hard drive and my very last save is only 13mb, that is at over 100 hours and level 52-ish. so you could try installing it. the overall size of the installed game for me is 4.9gb(pretty big, i know).
I had over 275 hours on my 19mb file. I know this article is directed to psn but I was wondering if it might be my situation too. Yes this is an old article. And I do have it installed on my HD.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Skyri...e-235400.shtml

Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award   2,500 Posts   Micro Guide - Emerald
Quote:
I had over 275 hours on my 19mb file. I know this article is directed to psn but I was wondering if it might be my situation too. Yes this is an old article. And I do have it installed on my HD.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Skyri...e-235400.shtml
it does say in that article that the problem starts occurring at around 5-6mb, so if it is a real problem then 19 mb is way over that and is probably your current problem. but clearly you are way passed my ability to help so ill back out graciously and you may have to wait for confirmation from someone more learned than i, on this matter at least...
Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
ChickinOnaChain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottttocs View Post
it does say in that article that the problem starts occurring at around 5-6mb, so if it is a real problem then 19 mb is way over that and is probably your current problem. but clearly you are way passed my ability to help so ill back out graciously and you may have to wait for confirmation from someone more learned than i, on this matter at least...
Thanks and no need to back off! . I know this was originally a ps3 problem but still, it makes me wonder if it's causing other people's games to mess up like mine did.

On that article, I Googled "Skyrim file size" and got these links... http://www.google.com/search?q=skyrim%20file%20size. Good reading.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Quote:
Thanks and no need to back off! . I know this was originally a ps3 problem but still, it makes me wonder if it's causing other people's games to mess up like mine did.

On that article, I Googled "Skyrim file size" and got these links... http://www.google.com/search?q=skyrim%20file%20size. Good reading.
i meant that the only help i could offer was to compare to my game save, with size and hours etc, but you are way past that, and to suggest to install to harddrive but you already did and that this was the extent of my usefulness so i would be of little, if any, further value.

those google results aswell seem to be suggesting a pattern, that this is primarily a ps3 problem. although that doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen on xbox. which is strange as i thought the ps3 was more powerful than the 360.

but back to one of your original questions, to keep your file size down, basically you would have to do less stuff. like an earlier poster suggested aswell, keep litter, or dropped items to a minimal. and to be honest, i, for the life of me cant figure out what on earth you've been doing for 275 hours. in my 100-ish hours i thought id done pretty much everything apart from ALL side missions. id still done a lot though. maybe try deleting some of your older saves. if you have a load of new saves, like if you make a new save everytime then you will have a huge list of useless saves, and i imagine just by having seperate saves, each one in its own space would take up some space and the accumulation of so many saves could contribute to a high data storage.

anyway ill stop saying save(s) now...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
ChickinOnaChain

I really appreciate the help and advise Dude, honestly. I wasn't going to restart this game but for some reason, I can't stay away from it...even having Batman AC unplaced since before I got Skyrim. I guess less looting for me!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
My save file is 13 MB and I have freezes every now and then, as well as constant lag and small visual spikes. Really annoying.

I just finished up the 1000 the other day, thankfully before anything bad happened (like save file corruption).

Don't get me wrong, I love Skyrim and play it for more than just achievements but I am going to take a break from it until we get some DLC and more patches.

Signature by Gackt. Click it to visit the Classic FPS Gamers x360a social group!
Random friend requests or invites sent with no message will be deleted.
I have moved to PC gaming for the most part, so I won't be on Xbox LIVE much anymore.
Nevander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
nukacola420

elementpunk's Gamercard
ive been noticing more lag while trying to access inventory lists (of chests, containers, bodies, etc...) my game isnt unplayable yet but waiting for things to respond is maddening. my game is around 120 hours and like 12-13mb. my game is installed and i dont litter much.. the only thing i havent tried is deleting my clutter saves, though i dont think that would do much.

maybe the move here is to back off and wait until they patch it more.. im hesitant to proceed for fear it will get worse and kill my files.
nukacola420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Morbious17

Send a message via MSN to Morbious17

Morbious17's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Mine are getting larger, but I'm not at 19MB yet.

I'm up to 13MB with 135 hours played at level 69.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
ChickinOnaChain

I guess since I only need 5 so achievements, I've been playing the main quests, hoping I won't run into the same problem as before.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
I'm at 400+ hours with no freezing problems. What I do is delete old save/auto save files from the load screen. I keep maybe 5 save files stacked before I log out of the game, just in case I need to reload a previous save. No need to keep really old saves.

Edit: And as far as littering goes, I drop crap everywhere - hasn't affected my game yet.

159 completed games [Includes all DLC]

Last edited by SIMPLYMIDGET; 02-21-2012 at 07:19 PM.
SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Morbious17

Send a message via MSN to Morbious17

Morbious17's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
I have no problems from littering either. I have a ton of default armor from Lydia and Aela thrown right outside my house in Whiterun from trying to get them to wear tavern clothes. Finally got it but I didn't feel like cleaning up.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
ChickinOnaChain

In my first game, I was manually saving where I thought I'd need to, like fighting dragons. I ended up with almost 300 numbered saves BUT I only kept 5-10. Now, I'm letting the auto save do it for me, like travel and wait. No saves are mounting up and I have 3 auto saves now, since I deleted 1.

Picking up stuff was a problem with me before. I picked almost everything and sold it. Now I think I'm going to pick up stuff that I can use and forget the rest.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
VerifyedRasta

VerifyedRasta's Gamercard
Haven't checked my file size, but I know I have almost 1000 saves and my game runs smooooth. It actually feels like it runs better the more saves I have.
*Becomes Arch-Mage of Mage's college*
"You know..."

Last edited by VerifyedRasta; 02-21-2012 at 10:08 PM.
VerifyedRasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
ChickinOnaChain

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerifyedRasta View Post
Haven't checked my file size, but I know I hate almost 1000 saves and my game runs smooooth. It actually feels like it runs better the more saves I have.
Don't tell me that!!! Some deleted them. You say you didn't. Some say don't use auto save. Well, I'll keep going like I am and if this way messes up, I'll save all of my saves.

1,000 saves??? I thought I had a lot before.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
VerifyedRasta

VerifyedRasta's Gamercard
*have (in my previous post, what a noob)

And what I mean is I've saved exactly 987 times, I have about 10 save files (all for the different races) excluding the autosaves.
*Becomes Arch-Mage of Mage's college*
"You know..."
VerifyedRasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
ChickinOnaChain

This time, I left most everything on the default setting, except the difficulty part...which means also the save settings. I didn't do that the first time. I turned them off.

But we'll see. I'm sure if/when it messes up, I'll be back here saying I'm done playing it, just like before.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #20
oooo yeah

oooo yeah's Gamercard
Quote:

File size was never an issue. It was only a rumor and I remember reading somewhere Tod Howard said the problem was patched on the PS3 and it wasn't the filesize that was the problem like people were saying.
The only thing I can suggest is instead of installing to your hd, find a really good usb stick that passes the MS test no worries and install game and save files to that and see if any difference. Honestly I think you have a problem with your internal hd or xbox with all the problems you seem to be having.
oooo yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
ChickinOnaChain

Maybe so but my 19mb file, which is on my memory stick, is still freezing. I tried it again last night.

My "new" game hasn't caused any problems yet. Someone suggested me getting new 360 and my wife said to get one. But I don't see how that could be the problem. Anyway...

Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Quote:
Maybe so but my 19mb file, which is on my memory stick, is still freezing. I tried it again last night.

My "new" game hasn't caused any problems yet. Someone suggested me getting new 360 and my wife said to get one. But I don't see how that could be the problem. Anyway...
Donīt get a new 360 unless youīre certain of the console been broken, this game has itīs issues and if youīre not experiencing any trouble with other games, donīt bother.

Right now Bethesda has just release another update for PC, working on the next for consoles. Hereīs the thing, most of the updates already being made add fixes for PS3 and PC mostly, there comes the multiplatform problem. Xbox 360 1.1 is pretty solid, even 1.0 was. I would suggest first that you clear out your cache and play this game offline. Iīm currently just skipping playing this, my game is becoming more buggier and I prefer to stop and wait for a proper fix.

Bethesda has state that this game has receive more fixes than Oblivion or Fallout and that they are compromised to fix it even more, so, have patient, play other games, letīs wait the launch DLC. Once the DLC comes out Iīm guessing a new fix will already be release or will be by the same time the DLC, following that strategy for Fallout 3 and didnīt experience too much trouble.

Remember always that patches may fix future glitches or bugs, but hardly already presents ones in the game, therefor, is best if you avoid to collect more on the way.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #23
oooo yeah

oooo yeah's Gamercard
Quote:

Have you tried installing to memory stick? Did your current stick pass the MS test fully when you configured it?
oooo yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
ChickinOnaChain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo yeah View Post
Have you tried installing to memory stick? Did your current stick pass the MS test fully when you configured it?
Yep and yep. I'm playing it off/from my stick. And I'm not collecting stuff like before. We'll see what happens because I really didn't have any problems until I hit level 70+.

And I'm not getting a new 360. I'd like to and can but it's not something I NEED right now.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #25
zarda1

Zarda1's Gamercard
bigger game saves cause a lag if you have the autosave features on but they don't corrupt the save file. i've had this problem before and you just do something at some point that ruins the save the longer you play the bigger your save will be no matter what you do. all you can do is go back to a previous save. you can also go to the main menu and instead of choosing continue, load the save manually. i don't know why but that let me access the save file but my game was laggy. its just the game its not your system.
zarda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #26
ChickinOnaChain

@zarda1...Thanks for the help and advice but my level 72 game file is screwed. I try it once in awhile and it still locks up. Why do I try? Hell if I know. But I'm at level 23 on my new game and I'll stick with it until it locks up too. It's at 5mb right now.