PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Fighting > Super Street Fighter IV
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Megastranger

Megastranger's Gamercard
Who has the most useless Ultra/Super?

My vote is for my boy Guile. It's pointless to save up to do double flash and flash explosion is not only useless but a pain in the arse to pull off in a pinch. Also, the damage payoff is low for it ridiculous button command. Thank goodness for sonic hurricane!
Megastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Plym

PlymSol's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Cammy is my main and I'm not keen on either on her Ultras.
Gyro Drive Smasher is so easy to block and punish and CQC is a counter and hard to work into a match sometimes.

Arcade 200Gs
Worms, Banjo-Kazooie, Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, SF3: Online Edition
Streets of Rage 2
Plym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
BROKEN POLYGONS

BROKEN POLYGONS's Gamercard
i usually play ken and my vote is for his second ultra because if you miss or they duck your gonna pay for it. also I've never seen it used in a focus cancel combo. that doesn't mean i don't think its possible, I've never been able to do it and haven't seen it. i gave up on it. the shoryureppa is the way to go with ken.
BROKEN POLYGONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Nanman The Great One

GDxKingofBeasts's Gamercard
Balrog's Ultra 2. It's the weakest ultra in the game and you cant even combo with it. Most people that I know say Juri's Ultra 1 but if you know link combos with her then its really useful.
Nanman The Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Immortaltekniqq

immortaltekniqq's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN POLYGONS View Post
i usually play ken and my vote is for his second ultra because if you miss or they duck your gonna pay for it. also I've never seen it used in a focus cancel combo. that doesn't mean i don't think its possible, I've never been able to do it and haven't seen it. i gave up on it. the shoryureppa is the way to go with ken.
I agree. you can FADC into his ultra 2 from an ex haduken costing you 3 super meters, which is kinda lame. you can do it with a regular fireball bu the frame is way tighter

Immortaltekniqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Suiken

Mr Suplex's Gamercard
The most useless ultras are definitely Cammy's, Fei Long's, and Balrog's Ultra 2.

Counter ultras are cool in theory, but they just don't work against competent opponents. And Balrog's ultra isn't a zero frame throw, unless you are having a seizure during the match, as soon as you see the ultra animation you just have to hold up on the stick...

Come to think of it Balrog's might actually be the single worst ultra.
Suiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Didi Mau

Send a message via MSN to Didi Mau

CuriousJewbeard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Gold   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Balrog's second ultra gets my vote as well. As for super combos, I can't think of any reason to ever use Vega's if the opponent knows how to stuff izuna drops.
Didi Mau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
PyreBall

Send a message via AIM to PyreBall Send a message via MSN to PyreBall Send a message via Yahoo to PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
That's hard to determine. A lot of the characters with charge mechanics (Guile, Vega, Dee Jay, Chun-Li, etc) have some really odd button inputs some of their supers. For starters charge mechanics can be really hard to work with if your opponent is super aggressive and doesn't give you the chance to get set up. From what I can see, it would appear that a lot of the supers and ultra of these characters start out with a charge input and then are usually followed up something that I have no idea how to do (specifically the input that has an arrow pointing one way out of the red circle, and then another arrow pointing the opposite way right below the circle). Therefore, if you're too busy jumping around trying to fend off your opponent you won't really have time to pull those charge input Supers/Ultras off. Otherwise I'd say that the buff combos are probably the most difficult to work with. They usually have decent effects but there's still the matter of actually being able to hit your opponent after triggering the buff. Also, unless you start into a really good combo right after you trigger it buff Supers/Ultras aren't quite the game changers that highly damaging regular Supers/Ultras usually are.
Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V, Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter IV, MvC3, Puzzle Quest, Halo: Reach, Madden 10, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Gears of War 3,, Modern Warfare 3, Rock Band, MvC2, Battlefield 1943, Castle Crashers
PyreBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
R0B

R0b's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didi Mau View Post
As for super combos, I can't think of any reason to ever use Vega's if the opponent knows how to stuff izuna drops.
I land Vega's super about 3/4 of the time...but i main Vega.
R0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
NightReflection

Nightreflection's Gamercard
Worst Ultra: Balrog 2, Fei Long 2, Juri 1, Cammy 2

Worst Super: Makoto

Always looking to boost achievements , just send me a friend request @ Nightreflection. If you see me asking for help on here please feel free to take a look at my gamercard to see what games i have that i may be able to help you with!!
NightReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Didi Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
I land Vega's super about 3/4 of the time...but i main Vega.
If you're landing it then feel free to keep using it, but against anyone who knows the match up you should really be getting hit out of it because it is essentially the same as a normal izuna drop- jump back roundhouse stuffs it cleanly as does any move with invincibility frames, I'd much prefer to save meter for other things like ex flying barcelona combos and FADCs.

Last edited by Didi Mau; 07-19-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
D.A.N.

Send a message via MSN to D.A.N.

pZ Uncanny Doom's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plym View Post
Gyro Drive Smasher is so easy to block and punish and CQC is a counter and hard to work into a match sometimes.
If you're just throwing Ultras out randomly, anything is going to get blocked and punished. Kind of silly way to look at it. I play Cammy as well and Gyro Drive Smasher is great because of the damage, and ability to use it in many combos.

How useless the ultra or super is really comes down to the character and their ability to build meter and what they can do with it. I would probably go with either of the counter Ultras that Fei Long and Cammy have.

D.A.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 AM   #13
R0B

R0b's Gamercard
Quote:
If you're landing it then feel free to keep using it, but against anyone who knows the match up you should really be getting hit out of it because it is essentially the same as a normal izuna drop- jump back roundhouse stuffs it cleanly as does any move with invincibility frames, I'd much prefer to save meter for other things like ex flying barcelona combos and FADCs.
Vega's super has more throw range than any other throw in the game. You have to set it up for a higher rate of success. Many people start off blocking because they think it might be ultra 1. The best way to avoid it is to dash foward a few times. I will sometimes try to anticipate/see the dashes and meet them there. With all this said, most people that main Vega don't use his super. This leaves people unprepared to deal with it's properties.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
Didi Mau

Quote:
Vega's super has more throw range than any other throw in the game. You have to set it up for a higher rate of success. Many people start off blocking because they think it might be ultra 1. The best way to avoid it is to dash foward a few times. I will sometimes try to anticipate/see the dashes and meet them there. With all this said, most people that main Vega don't use his super. This leaves people unprepared to deal with it's properties.
I don't know, I imagine I'd be more fearful of it if it didn't perform the super flash at the wall. That gives me more than enough time to register if it is an ultra or not (which it shouldn't be anyway if I've done nothing that it could punish me in time with, as I'll just hold block during the cinematic) and have my move to cleanly stuff it prepared. This is speaking almost entirely from offline performance though, I have no idea if lag makes this a harder reaction punish- something that takes a full bar and doesn't have an actual combo into it to guarantee the damage just doesn't seem viable to use to me unless it is once in a blue moon, if the player is getting hit by it I could just use the normal izunas and aggravate the hell out of him until he figures out what beats it.

As an aside, my opinion of the second worse super is Rufus so I'm happy to flip the two around- neither of them just have any reason to ever use it in my opinion (too easily stuffed with no combo into it for Vega's case, subpar combos that leave poor spacing with Rufus along with his ex specials being far too valuable to surrender). Which characters do you feel have a worse super than Vega, and are the setups into Vega's super as viable as the kind of setups we see for Zangief's/Hawk's/Akuma's (I'd be quite intrigued in a video if there are any, as I do like the character)?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
R0B

R0b's Gamercard
Quote:
I don't know, I imagine I'd be more fearful of it if it didn't perform the super flash at the wall. That gives me more than enough time to register if it is an ultra or not (which it shouldn't be anyway if I've done nothing that it could punish me in time with, as I'll just hold block during the cinematic) and have my move to cleanly stuff it prepared. This is speaking almost entirely from offline performance though, I have no idea if lag makes this a harder reaction punish- something that takes a full bar and doesn't have an actual combo into it to guarantee the damage just doesn't seem viable to use to me unless it is once in a blue moon, if the player is getting hit by it I could just use the normal izunas and aggravate the hell out of him until he figures out what beats it.

As an aside, my opinion of the second worse super is Rufus so I'm happy to flip the two around- neither of them just have any reason to ever use it in my opinion (too easily stuffed with no combo into it for Vega's case, subpar combos that leave poor spacing with Rufus along with his ex specials being far too valuable to surrender). Which characters do you feel have a worse super than Vega, and are the setups into Vega's super as viable as the kind of setups we see for Zangief's/Hawk's/Akuma's (I'd be quite intrigued in a video if there are any, as I do like the character)?
You can cancel out of the roll into his super. If you are in a corner, you will have a tough time avoiding it. I have also timed it numerous times to grab you on wake-up (no one has EVER stopped it), possible reason is the range of the grab. Vega's super might be the most underrated in the game.
No one mentioned Dan's taunt super...
Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
Megastranger

Megastranger's Gamercard
Quote:
No one mentioned Dan's taunt super...
Lol I forgot about that one.
Megastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #17
R0B

R0b's Gamercard
You might have to say dan's taunt super doesnt count. Then i would have to go with the obvious: fei long 2 and cammy 2.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
Suiken

Mr Suplex's Gamercard
After watching Evo and watching Fuudo rock it with Fei Long ultra 2, I'm retracting my earlier statement lol.

Balrog's ultra 2 is the clear winner for worst ultra...
Suiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #19
mad4ra

mad4ra's Gamercard
Well Balrogs U2 isnt the worst i think its just that his U1 is so easy to combo all day that he doesn't need another ultra.

My vote goes for Rufus Ultra 2 - you cant use it as anti-air anymore... yeah you can shut down the fireball game at close range but that only gets you so far.
mad4ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #20
Frostylongcat

Frostylongcat's Gamercard
Balrog U2 is not the worst in the game. It may be less practical than most ultras, but it can be very effective if you know how to use it. It causes a ton of stun, and can lead to a very nice dizzy when used in a solid mixup.

There are very few ultras in the game that are really "terrible" or "bad". People keep saying that counter ultras are the worst, that's just not the case. Counter ultras are just harder to use, and thus are used to a lesser extent. This doesn't decrease their potency.

The worst super in the game is Rufus' super. Not only because of it's weak damage output, but because Rufus is a character that HIGHLY benefits from using his EX meter throughout the match (example: EX Messiah kick to get out of trouble). The benefit of using his super is almost nothing, unless it wins the round.

The worst ULTRA in the game would probably be Gen's second ultra. More specifically, his mantis stance ultra. It's just my opinion, but one of the main purposes of this ultra is to use it as a bait. What I mean by that is that you'll jump in with Gen and bait out a shoryuken as an anti-air to stuff Gen's jump. Seeing this anti-air, you'll activate your ultra to beat it (thus the point of the bait). Unfortunately, it has such horrible priority that it almost always trades or loses completely. The only practical purpose is to air-air or fireball punish.

You sir, are gutter trash.

Last edited by Frostylongcat; 08-17-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Frostylongcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #21
NukeDukem

topgunprobo's Gamercard
for me, out of the characters i like, its akumas raging demon ultra. i know it can be useful, ive been beaten with it by better players, but i personally find it very hard to land as i cant combo into it and its easy to avoid otherwise. does great damage though.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #22
xXInphinityXx

legit oz's Gamercard
Hakans ultra is lame he just grabs you and you start getting slippery all over his body..
xXInphinityXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #23
Pikarichie

PikaRichie's Gamercard
I think the ultras that are counters are useless. people can just stop attacking if they see you using it.
Pikarichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
Ayx

ayxism's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikarichie View Post
I think the ultras that are counters are useless. people can just stop attacking if they see you using it.
They can't stop a move in mid air, so if they try to use a Cross Up, use the Ultra and you'll get them. It's WHEN to use the Ultra.

Having Counter Ultras assists your strategy fairly well, they can't risk stuffing random normals because the wrong normal at the wrong time will cost you damage. Less risk taking, meaning you can be the one taking those risks and hopefully getting the reward.
Ayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #25
KakaLeite22

lll K A K A lll's Gamercard
Ultra Balrog 2

Super Vega Claw (but useful for noobs...)
KakaLeite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
Xx Reez xX

For Me Akuma Ultra 2, Most People Tend to be able to Read it Very Easily, But It Does Look Badass
Xx Reez xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
xI WARFARE

John Rycroft's Gamercard
T Hawk would be unbeatable if his Ultra 2 (AA) actually worked. I often try to use it to Anti Air Ryus but the hitboxes are so small it hardly ever hits. You have to be within a few squares to have a chance of it connecting, that combined with its tricky input (double half circles) makes it a very hard Ultra to use.

Oh, and the fact that even if you're standing right next to the opponent, it wont hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plym View Post
Oh and this too. I also use Cammy a lot and the Ultra 1 is really predictable, leaves you wide open if you whiff and it rarely ever catches a falling opponent because of the ridiculous safe zone bullshit.

Ultra 2 is almost useless too unless you're fighting characters like Balrog where you can see the move coming from miles away.

SSFIV - From C to shining C achievement unlocked!

Last edited by xI WARFARE; 05-07-2012 at 03:28 PM.
xI WARFARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
Last Shaman

Last Shaman's Gamercard
Out of all the ultras that i have used i feel like Yun and Yang have the worst Ultra since both of their first Ultra barely any damage even off a counter