Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Alpha Protocol
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #91
Magicman10893

Magicman10893's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I finally found a copy of this game and bought it and I haven't been this hooked since Mass Effect! I just finished my 3rd playthrough I and am still finding new things that can change the story. It is utterly amazing to me that this game didn't as good ratings or sales than it did. Sure the AI is kind of stupid at some parts (I recall the Taiwanese Police in the "Intercept Assassination Plans" mission I found two police officers that were standing next to each other and I walked up and did some crazy martial arts to incapacitate one of them in PLAIN VIEW of the other and he didn't notice a thing). Sure the graphics are dated, but then again, does every game need to have super high quality HD graphics like God of War 3? I'm going back and playing God of War 1 and 2 on the PS3 right now and the graphics don't bother me one bit!

The only thing that people should really have any merit complaining about are glitches because those are the fault of the developer. I didn't really encounter any glitches aside from not being able to zip line at one part and occasionally not being able to go into cover.

People that complain about the shooting mechanics don't realize that it's not about the player's skill, it's about the character's stats. That mechanic sucks if you're the kind of person that has never played an RPG before, but to anyone that has played any RPG what so ever will be right at home!
Magicman10893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #92
THE Mr Fill

the mr fill's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I bought this game a while ago, but only just recently started playing it - currently in the middle of my second play-through (probably going for a 3rd after to see the differences).

I quite enjoy the game (otherwise it wouldn't get a finished play-through let alone a 2nd/3rd), the RPG elements are GREAT, and once you understand the system it's a fun game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varshir View Post
Personally, this game has been a very disappointing experience. The AI was horribly programmed, the rpg element was a refreshing change of pace, the weapons for some reason lack in accuracy department, espeically the sniper rifle (sorry but when i have the crosshair on someone point blank and pull the trigger i expect them to die), character customization could have been more in depth. Personally i rate this a 3/10
OK, you clearly didn't understand the way shooting works:
1) Criticals are the "accurate" shots, anything else is a "snap shot" and not really aimed - if the pistol doesn't go to critical then you don't have the range to be accurate!
2) There are only a few places that you get to use a sniper rifle and an enemy can NEVER be at point-blank while you're looking through the scope - you probably think that the Assault Rifle is a sniper rifle... here's a hint, sniper rifles file ONE bullet, the assault rifle fires BURSTS! Think about firing something like an AK47 at point blank range, the recoil alone would kick the gun all over the place!
3) You want the character customisation to be MORE IN DEPTH? You didn't think that the skill trees were deep enough? You get to choose over 9 skills and decide what level you take them to - how is that not deep enough? Consider as well that other RPGs only have about 5-6 skills to put points on!

For people who HATE the lock picking/hacking/bypass mini-games, then why not put 3 AP into Sabotage? It gives the ability to use an EMP grenade on the lock/panel/computer (don't ask how an EMP grenade can unlock a physical lock, because I have ZERO idea!) - it costs more (250 per grenade), but it saves a TON of time, but ignores the XP gain from the mini-game!

Note that if you're going for the bombs in Rome, and running out of time, this is a VITAL skill!!!

Complaining about the Brayko fight when you're going for stealth isn't a valid reason - you should have points in pistol so you can Chain Shot enemies, so with his fight you can throw an Incendry Grenade to get rid of his "endurance", then Chain Shot him in the face to drop 1/3 or so of his health - once he charges SPRINT (A+direction pad), if you can run up onto the stage to get him chasing you (sometimes he glitches and gets stuck against the stage, then you can just Critical him in the back of his head!), once he gets his guns out just keep on hitting him with Chain Shots while taking out any of his henchmen who come near you. If you use Steel Core bullets it helps a ton too as they do more damage.

The best way I've found to take out Brayko is to have Brilliance & a decent level of Chain Shot - batter him with something to take out his Endurance, Chain Shot him, run to recharge your Chain Shot (hopefully this will run out his "coke high"), then when he crouches Chain Shot/Brilliance/Chain Shot his head and he should drop faster than you'd believe - again, use Steel Core if you can as they do extra damage.

If you think you're having too much problem with him, do Rome & Taiwan before returning to Moscow to finish him off, then you'll be able to take him down with impunity!

Retail:
1000+gs=16 - 1000gs=41 - 900+gs=11 - 800+gs=14
Arcade:
400 games=4
200 games=8
50 games=4
WP games=49

40k 28-09-2009; 50k 31-07-2010; 60k 29-09-2010
70k 27-12-2010; 80k 07-02-2011; 90k 31-03-2011
100k 18-05-2011; 110k 29-06-2011 120k 19-09-2011
130k 25-02-2012; 140k 03-03-2013 150k 06-08-2013
160k 22-03-2014
I'm slowing down...
THE Mr Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #93
FPS GLIMMER

FPS GLIMMER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
I fucking love this game. The AI is dumb sometimes but overall i would give it an 85/100. Im having fun with the game knowing that I cant get most of the achievements in one run.
FPS GLIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #94
Jabbawocky

Jabbawocky2004's Gamercard
I think the biggest problem was that although you were free to build your character in anyway, several situations required to be dealt with in a particular course of action.E.g. AP's boss pretty much required investment into one of the guns in comparison to say Knights of the Old Republic where you could still devise a viable stratergy if you invested something other than combat.

Other than that though I thouroughly enjoyed the game.

Jabbawocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #95
wizzlestick

Doctor Tiki's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueprotoss View Post
I see that you would rather blame a game for the lack of skill that you have because you play Run n' Shooters instead of RPGs.
I'm a sucker for stealth games (and RPGS are my favorite genre) and I wasn't impressed with this game, and a large part was due to how poorly I thought the stealth was implemented.. I enjoyed it much more in games of the Hitman series and in Chaos Theory.

This system felt half finished and while i had no trouble adjusting to its idiosincrasies and flat out AI bugs, the stealth experience felt subpar. I even had more fun sneaking around in action games like Fallout, Batman Arkham Asylum (see predator challenges), and hell even in Crysis you can play through just about the whole game stealth.. I could list another half dozen games that does stealth better where that wasn't even their focus but I won't bore you.

Not to mention the shooting is just terrible. Whether you want to compare it to a stealth or action genre it doesn't matter, it's just poorly designed. (I love Shooters as well)

The RPG elements were weak at best, which just further reinforces the trend of doing each element of this game subpar.

Again I didn't have any troubles with it but it felt like a generic experience, similar to how I felt running through X-Blades. A game with a few cool concepts but done half ass.

There are redeeming qualities about this game, but for a game focused on espionage type tactics (or role playing, or anything it tried to do) it was lackluster to me. It did not excel in Stealth, Action, or Plot. I am not sure what else this fantastic Stealth RPG was supposed to give me that I missed other than the content I didn't pay full price for this game.

It felt more like a mediocre adventure game with some RPG and Stealth "elements". Just my 2 cents..
wizzlestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #96
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Unwillingshadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzlestick View Post
I'm a sucker for stealth games (and RPGS are my favorite genre) and I wasn't impressed with this game, and a large part was due to how poorly I thought the stealth was implemented.. I enjoyed it much more in games of the Hitman series and in Chaos Theory.

This system felt half finished and while i had no trouble adjusting to its idiosincrasies and flat out AI bugs, the stealth experience felt subpar. I even had more fun sneaking around in action games like Fallout, Batman Arkham Asylum (see predator challenges), and hell even in Crysis you can play through just about the whole game stealth.. I could list another half dozen games that does stealth better where that wasn't even their focus but I won't bore you.

Not to mention the shooting is just terrible. Whether you want to compare it to a stealth or action genre it doesn't matter, it's just poorly designed. (I love Shooters as well)

The RPG elements were weak at best, which just further reinforces the trend of doing each element of this game subpar.

Again I didn't have any troubles with it but it felt like a generic experience, similar to how I felt running through X-Blades. A game with a few cool concepts but done half ass.

There are redeeming qualities about this game, but for a game focused on espionage type tactics (or role playing, or anything it tried to do) it was lackluster to me. It did not excel in Stealth, Action, or Plot. I am not sure what else this fantastic Stealth RPG was supposed to give me that I missed other than the content I didn't pay full price for this game.

It felt more like a mediocre adventure game with some RPG and Stealth "elements". Just my 2 cents..
The Stealth system is made based around your character stats and equipment because AP is a RPG not a Stealth game like Splinter Cell or MGS.

You forget that AI is suposed to be the challenge in games for the most part while the challenge is usually in the Difficulty setting. You forget that Crysis gives you unlimited use of Invisibility while Crysis is just a mix of CoD and Halo, which is a formula for an Easy FPS. You also forget that AP is a RPG that gives you a some Stealth options like in ME2 and Dragon Age while this no Stealth title like a Splinter Cell or MGS game.

The Shooting system in AP is designed as a RPG element as its based around your Character stats instead of being based on your skill at playing Shooters like Gears, CoD, or Halo.

Thats your Opinion even if this was a better game then ME2.

I guess you didn't read the cover of AP especially when it said Espionage RPG instead of RPG or Stealth game. You miss the point that AP is a different type of game that isn't a cookie cutter game especially in the RPG genre. AP is one of the best RPGs of the decade especially when it beats ME 1 & 2 in the whole RPG department.

It sounds like you that you're a Shooter fan that barely plays a RPG while I'm a RPG and Shooter fan.

Last edited by Blueprotoss; 04-09-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Blueprotoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #97
Epyon255

Balefire255's Gamercard
I played this game when it first came out and absolutely loved it. I only had one glitch where I got stuck in the terrain but beyond that it was bug free. I also have the PC version of the game and did encounter several bugs in it but far fewer than either of the recent Fallout games. The mini-games were actually enjoyable and a breeze if you set your skills correctly. I've recommended this game to several of my friends and all of them were immediately hooked in it. It all boils down to your taste in games and what you consider a big deal. Mindless shooter fans need not apply here or die-hard rpg fans. If you're willing to accept a mix of the two then this is a great game.
Epyon255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #98
ReD S1X

ReD S1X's Gamercard
No flaws that I see apart from the annoying lock-pick minigame that is unnecessary making the triggers as the adjustment so hard and tedious plus why does it have to be so bloody accurate on the line?

It's the only thing that ticks me off on the whole game and even worse when you have to unlock 5 pins in less than 10 bloody seconds! What is wrong with using analog anyways???

Guns are okay but very difficult for first playthrough. It's the bloody AI that charges you and kills you with no waiting time.

Overall it's good if enjoyed games that is quite similar to it only better, like Mass Effect. or Mass Effect 2 minus probing the planet.

Reached to 300,000G @ 16/8/13
Achieved 10,000 achievements @ 28/12/12
ReD S1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #99
Tiffany

smallish atsumi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
I had a great time with this game. I picked it up at Best Buy for $30 on an impulse, and I'm so happy I did.

The shooting took a bit getting used to, but once I got my AR skill up it was perfectly fine. The one thing that really set me back was Michael Thorton's voice actor. I busted up laughing on the training course at "What's this, a used car lot?"

I love games of all kinds, I'm a photographer, and a reptile lover.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #100
Blue Thunder28

Blue Thunder28's Gamercard
I disliked this game when I started it, only thing I liked was the dialogue system (I liked the dialogue a lot, and the music). By the time I was done Rome it had started to grow on me and once my gun and stealth stats were up I liked it even more. On my second playthrough, taking the Veteran path I was in love with the game I like it a lot now.

Blue Thunder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #101
Sarcastro

BlazingxPaddles's Gamercard
Picked this up off Amazon for $11 during their clearance sale. Definitely worth every penny and then some.

I adore the Mass Effect series, I believe it's the best thing on the 360. And this was it's retarded brother. Sure, it doesn't do everything as well, but it bring it's own bag of tricks to the table. If anything, I'd like if Bioware stole some of this game's ideas, like the stealth and instant knockouts.
Sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #102
luffigo

luffigo's Gamercard
the gun randomly appears sideways, but it still shoots straight. in one play through brakov froze and i had to beat him to death to avoid restarting the fight.
luffigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 AM   #103
fastNcurious

Earlier this week, I started playing this game. I'm still early into it, but in case it helps anyone in terms of comparing it to other games, so far I see it as a Walmart version of Deus Ex: HR.

My biggest irritation so far has been controlling the character. Not as smooth as it could be.

I'm getting into the story though (so far) so we'll see...

EDIT
Update from playing some more:
The mini-games are horrible. When you're hacking computers, the movement of the passcodes are freakin slow as molasses so that even if you know where you're going, it takes freakin forever to get there. Retarded that you can't just go up on the thumbstick to get to the bottom row immediately. Whoever thought of this minigame should be shot. (I would also recommend that whoever thought of the lockpick minigame be shot as well, if there were 2 bullets in the gun.)

There are a lot of other good ideas in this game, but all of them are better implemented in Deus Ex: HR. Again, in comparison, this game is like a more linear version of DX, with more handholding, more emphasis on action than stealth, with Mass Effect-like dialogue thrown in.

Last edited by fastNcurious; 09-23-2011 at 10:17 PM.
fastNcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #104
ChillBr0Bagginz

ChillBr0Bagginz's Gamercard
I love this game! I need to run through it a few more times!

I was really impressed.
ChillBr0Bagginz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #105
Amadeus Salazar

Rafiondo's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNcurious View Post
so far I see it as a Walmart version of Deus Ex: HR.
The only similarities between this game and Deus Ex are: 3D and.... 3d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNcurious View Post
My biggest irritation so far has been controlling the character. Not as smooth as it could be.
Indeed. The character movement is not smooth. But you'll get used to it.

Quote:
The mini-games are horrible.
No they're not. The minigames are just fine. as a matter of fact, they could be the best designed minigames ever made in rol playing games, just because they are hard to you little brain they're not poorly designed.

Quote:
There are a lot of other good ideas in this game, but all of them are better implemented in Deus Ex: HR. Again, in comparison, this game is like a more linear version of DX, with more handholding, more emphasis on action than stealth, with Mass Effect-like dialogue thrown in.
This game is pure stealth. if you didn't noticed, you can invest points on stealth skill, so you can be stealthier, but I guess you have been investing AP in pistols and other weaponry.

Gotta love these jackasses.
Amadeus Salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #106
GeneralChaos

ilantis's Gamercard
The problem with this game is that it is a crap game to grab a controller and play.

The awesome thing about this game is that it is a ton of fun to "choose your own adventure" and experience.

Send the writer and storyboard editors over to Ubisoft Montreal and tell me you wouldn't buy whatever game they made on day one!
GeneralChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #107
theNomad

PureNomad's Gamercard
Someone mentioned an upcoming South Park rpg in a Skyrim thread earlier, and when I found it was by Obsidian I was shocked, I loved KotOR II, NWN 2 & Fallout NV (even with all its flaws) and never knew they had made Alpha Protocol.

I'm bookmarking it as a title to pick up if I see it cheaply on the trade-in racks, I'll be honest it was seeing the name Sega on the promotional posters/cases I'd seen that had actually put me off, they've been making crap for so long now hard to notice when they make a gem.

Great thread by the way, I oddly respect comments like the ones in a thread like this more than the ones praising popular AAA titles that got 10/10 scores. So many games I've enjoyed that others just dismissed Mercenaries 2, Bullet Witch and Borderlands (this kinda split opinions but had its fans) spring to mind.
theNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #108
theNomad

PureNomad's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
I adore the Mass Effect series, I believe it's the best thing on the 360. And this was it's retarded brother. Sure, it doesn't do everything as well, but it bring it's own bag of tricks to the table.
Haha thats priceless, it should be quoted on the box, I'm now 100% gonna pick this up if I stumble on it on the trade in racks.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #109
theNomad

PureNomad's Gamercard
Well I picked it up for 4, hehe even if it sucks was only the price of a pint or two.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 AM   #110
Iceskater101

iceskater101's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I want this game and even though the reviews say its bad I still want to pick it up sometime and play it
Iceskater101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #111
theNomad

PureNomad's Gamercard
Well yeah I'd certainly agree with the user who mentions it isn't a AAA title, but I've done Taiwan and Moscow so far and its good solid fun, glad I picked it up.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #112
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Picked this up 2 weeks ago, and only just started playing it tonight. Gotta say, its looking like it will keep me busy for a while, and can't fault it as yet. Like the idea behind the game, and never knew that Obsidian were responsible. 9 seems like a bargain for me.

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #113
macd

MacDofGlasgow's Gamercard
It was all just lacking a little something though. I rate AP very highly and think it is a fantastic game. I like the fact the same ending (roughly) can have a totally different interpretation based on what facts you learned through the game.

I like the fact you can sometimes persuade people witht he truth, but if you bullshit people a lot then no one will buy the truth.

The real trouble is, when you play something like Deus Ex: HR, the stealth system in that came is miles ahead of this. I know it had the benefit of both hindsight and also more time and money but it does play much better imo. I do think AP was good enough that more people should have given it a chance. I do also think it was better than most reviews. I do not think it fully lived up tot he hype. I expected a slightly different game to be honest.

macd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #114
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd View Post
The real trouble is, when you play something like Deus Ex: HR, the stealth system in that came is miles ahead of this. I know it had the benefit of both hindsight and also more time and money but it does play much better imo. I do think AP was good enough that more people should have given it a chance. I do also think it was better than most reviews. I do not think it fully lived up tot he hype. I expected a slightly different game to be honest.
I'm trudging through my second play of Deus Ex and finding it extremely difficult to keep my motivation going. With AP, there is so much more variety involved. While difficult, the Brayko fight was nevertheless smashing fun! The music coupled with the stereotypical American-pop Russian-gangsta-wannabe was priceless! With DE:HR, seems I'm stealthing my way through yet ANOTHER office building that must hire the same interior decorator used throughout the world. And the sun never seems to shine, except in Antarctica. And I had to go BACK to Detroit and then to Hengsha yet AGAIN. I kept AP in my library but DE:HR is due for a trade soon, I hope...
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #115
Ink129

Ink129's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnoid View Post
I'm trudging through my second play of Deus Ex and finding it extremely difficult to keep my motivation going. With AP, there is so much more variety involved. While difficult, the Brayko fight was nevertheless smashing fun! The music coupled with the stereotypical American-pop Russian-gangsta-wannabe was priceless! With DE:HR, seems I'm stealthing my way through yet ANOTHER office building that must hire the same interior decorator used throughout the world. And the sun never seems to shine, except in Antarctica. And I had to go BACK to Detroit and then to Hengsha yet AGAIN. I kept AP in my library but DE:HR is due for a trade soon, I hope...
GASP! Blasphemy!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #116
emwsabre52

emwsabre52's Gamercard
agreed!!! :P
emwsabre52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #117
TheColorGray

TheSoupSandwich's Gamercard
The game lacks a detailed report of final scoring in all achievement-related results. This would be of benefit since game-long achievement criteria are hidden from the player. AP was created in a simpler time, when gamers were real gamers, developers were real developers, and achievements were fluff. Play and remember...
TheColorGray is offline   Reply With Quote