Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Final Fantasy XI
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
lonesquiff

lonesquiff's Gamercard
Still Alive?

A friend and I started talking about FFXI on a lark the other day as we were both working to finish up the last Phantasy Star Universe achievement. While neither one of us can conceive ever completing FFXI we thought it'd be fun to play.

My question is two fold.
1) While I see that the servers are still running, has there been any word of them shutting down? I'd heard FFIV was on its way out. I'd hate to start this up only to find it is shutting down.
2) Does anyone on here still play? Are there any active linkshells recommended?

Any input is appreciated.
lonesquiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Divine Darkness

x Kiyoshi x's Gamercard
So far i haven't heard anything about the servers shutting down, some servers like mine still have a lot of people playing. SE just released a 12 month road map of new content and updates to come http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/4937.

They are merging some of the dead servers with more popular ones to keep the game going, we have like 4k ppl daily on Asura but we also have a ton of d-bags and I wouldn't really worry about XIV because most of the XI players that went to play XIV have already returned lol.

"Defender"
[Mass Effect 3]
Divine Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
lonesquiff

lonesquiff's Gamercard
Thanks for that info Divine. I'd be going into this fresh (I did play at 2 different times many years ago) and don't know anyone playing. Any info anyone can provide about servers or linkshells (as I understand it that is FFXI equivalent of guilds in other mmos) would be greatly appreciated.
lonesquiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Divine Darkness

x Kiyoshi x's Gamercard
No prob, linkshell wise, it's prolly best to look for one after you get on the server. Their are tons of social LS's and some end game ones, end game LS's require you to have a lot of free time and multiple high level jobs. You will more then likely end up getting into a friendly social linkshell that helps out and answers questions as you EXP normally.

I can't really comment on the servers to much as the only two I've ever been on are Ramuh and Asura and from what i hear Ramuh is getting merged into Bahamut some time this month or early next.

"Defender"
[Mass Effect 3]
Divine Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
theheroslegend

Send a message via AIM to theheroslegend

Scott Keables's Gamercard
I play on Cerberus and the community there is generally helpful. My linkshell caters to the lower level, and there are plenty more like mine on this server, too.

FF14 isn't going away. It's staying f2p until it becomes a game people will want to pay for. I call it retail beta =P. But FF11 servers should not see any closings any time soon. Merges are coming, but they are making way too many changes and additions to the game for the rest of the year to shit the game down in the next 5, imo

EDIT: SHUT the game down. Freaken Windows phone keyboard.

Last edited by theheroslegend; 04-26-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: phone cursing.
theheroslegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
lifeexpectancy

LifeExpectancy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
This is good news indeed. I'm an experienced mmo player with ultima online, everquest, daoc, and WoW under my belt. I haven't played an mmo in years though and I think I might get into FF xi. Thing is, once I start it I refuse to stop until I get all 1250 gs and spend a few months to a year in an end game linkshell. It's nice to hear this game still has some legs.
HALO:MCC >>>>>>> Interested in Online Customs, Squadmates for Ranked, and Co-Op Campaign. I am on 6am-4pm GMT on my nights off (Midnight-10am US Central). Copy this signature with your play times so we can populate our friends lists with fellow Halo:MCC players BEFORE launch!! If you add me do it on XB1 please; my 360 friends list is nearly full.
lifeexpectancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Faintestidea

Faintestidea's Gamercard
I'm just following this question up. I'm new to the 360 so I was wondering if enough people are still playing this to warrant trying to buy this game. Any respsonses would be appreciated
Faintestidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Faintestidea

Faintestidea's Gamercard
Nevermind. Too early to be thinking. Forgot it was an online game
Faintestidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Demendred

Piconjo's Gamercard
Bought this under a month ago, and Im in Carbuncle. Saw 3k people on the other day. If anyones in Carbuncle, my xbl is bacon revenger, and character is kuzuryu. Currently doing the beastmaster as my main. Plan on playing this game for a long time.

"Its all quite glorious, I assure you"

GT: Piconjo
Demendred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:45 AM   #10
Onime

Onimenishiki's Gamercard
The game is still going strong, SquareEnix has just anounced the level 99 cap increase and it still has a hardcore group of fans. Also Square has started re-advertising FFXI since FFXIV was such a flop.
Onime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
AwayJay

If anyone is playing this on Quetzacotl then add me in game character name Badmanjay.
AwayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
jess428

jess428's Gamercard
if anyone wants to play with a semi noob to ffxi then add me jatwitch on bismarck.
jess428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
TheCopperkid

StrymonXI's Gamercard
played this for 3 years on the pc when it came out, there are far better games out there now imo.
TheCopperkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
theheroslegend

Send a message via AIM to theheroslegend

Scott Keables's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopperkid View Post
played this for 3 years on the pc when it came out, there are far better games out there now imo.
Absolutely!

But for a 10-year-old game, it still holds up pretty well. Some people might be interested to try it out, and I personally don't blame them. If they can get into it, it's probably one of the best stories in an RPG on the 360, imo.

theheroslegend is offline   Reply With Quote