PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Simulation > Birds of Steel
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
jack3auer

jack3auer's Gamercard
Birds of Steel - General Information

Birds of Steel is the new WW2 era flight simulator from the developers of the amazing IL2 Sturmovik - Birds of Prey

If you enjoyed IL2 Sturmovik, you will certainly love this game.

The game is set for release on the 15th of March

Official Website

http://www.birdsofsteel.com/

The achivement list can be found here :-

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/

Last edited by jack3auer; 03-13-2012 at 12:06 PM.
jack3auer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
A friend got this game and he really likes it. I had IL-2 and it was sweet...not easy for me but nice. This one is on my list.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Born Apophis

Born Knight 74's Gamercard
I'm surprised that this game is passing under the radar... I know that are more people who like this type of game beside me.

The game is the best WWII air combat game in the Xbox 360, forget Blazing Angel's (that was more an arcade game), Heroes Over Europe and the IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (that is the second best to me).

Going to get a Live Gold 3 months card, to play it Online with some friends, on my new Gametag.

From my Review in Metacritic:

"Birds of Steel" is a air combat game, focused in the World War II, and that have a gameplay with its roots oriented to simulation style, and which extends the main theaters of the war period. You have several options for singleplayer, with campaigns in different theaters and factions. The game has extremely detailed graphics for a console version: the effects of weather, ocean and detailing of the scenarios (such as houses, ocean waves, trees, decks of aircraft carriers etc..) are extremely well made and tend to realism, although have a certain pop-up. The highlight in relation to rival games on the Xbox 360 is in the richness of details in the ground, especially in the cities - but the buildings and structures destruction is not very realistic, with very large particles effects. Other graphics highlights are for the effects of sun illumination on the planes and the shadows, beside the design of airplanes, very realistic (of course do not expect the individual rivets witch we can see on the top simulators in PC), with a nice view from inside the **** where you can look around (the game still has other points of view: third person, a virtual HUD and the aircraft gunner, when available, of course). The explosions and the effects of smoke are well done, although these are not as surprising as the other I mentioned (but the effects of the weapons are rather detailed, instead) and in the game we have also options to customize the paint and symbols in you aircraft (in this game, despite its realism, the swastika is censored, and uses the Imperial Germany flag). Among the missions and the briefings, we have narrative events, and period films (a lot of material in fact, well situated and historically narrated). The game features a soundtrack of classical orchestral music, including the theme song for the movie "The King's Speech": the sounds of gunfire, engines, explosions, etc. are realistic, and the game has a main narrator, that depending on the situation (like in the Tutorials) communicates by radio with you - on the eventually radio chat, while you are flying you hear other pilots chatting, but their lines are somewhat repetitive. The gameplay style, I can compare it to another simulator game, with a style mixed with small touches of Arcade: the "Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik 1946" for PC (I know the franchise has a Xbox 360 version, but the PC version is more alike to this game): the game has some difficulty settings, which have different commands and feelings for the controls and commands of the aircraft in the gameplay, being three difficulties: Simplistic, Realistic and Simulator. The combat missions are very varied, with numerous options: recon, fighter air combats, bomber missions, the attack or / and defense of ground structures, landings, etc., all you can expect from a air combat game in the WWII, that mixes action and strategy. The combats sequences has a Zoom view, and ranged weapons in accordance with the model of aircraft that you choose, from among more than 100 models, all realistic and faithful, and from all the major countries of conflict, ranging from fighters, bombers and the first jet / rocket fighters. Your career in the game is monitored, adding experience points, which by their turn, unlocks new planes, and raise your rank. The aiming at enemies is not easy as in games that many people are familiar, such as "Blazing Angels": here you must try to pilot and to target at the same time: the difficulty in doing this varies with the gameplay style you choose in the Menus, and thus allows you to play on your most suited style, either uncommitted or professional oriented. In addition the game singleplayer features, we have extensive online multiplayer modes for up to 16 players on Xbox Live and add to that a mission editor that can be used to play both offline and online missions. The game, as has been commented, is the best air combat simulator, on the WWII period, for the Xbox 360, and I, as a war aviation (and simulator games) enthusiast, agree: the highlights in the game are the gameplay and realism (both in aircraft / scenery graphics), and in the musical score, being the low points of the game the radio chatter, and the eventual pop-ups. Of course, we do not expect the same realism and variety of commands (and realism) that we have in PC simulators (the genre primary platform), but for console versions, this game is a milestone. Also this style of game do not please all the gamers in the domestic consoles (Ps3, Xbox 360, etc.) - in fact just a minority. My score to this game, within the genre and without comparison with other similar games from PC is 9.0 / 10.0.

Last edited by Born Apophis; 03-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Born Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Molneze3

Molneze's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Bright Idea   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
So far... I am pretty disappointed with this game right now. I have literally beat ALL of the Historical Campaigns, and have yet to come across more than 4-5 playable aircraft, yet this game boasts over 100 flyable aircraft. No, you can't choose which aircraft you fly for a mission either. They are all pre-determined since you are re-playing actual campaigns and missions that took place. Online, i can only get into matches that let me use the Bi-plane (I know they have to be unlocked... but if no one is playing it... how can I unlock them). And still have yet to even see online or offline the famed P-38 that graces the cover!

On the plus side... there seems to be TONS of modes to play. Online and offline.
But still, unless you are a die hard Jet/airplane fighting sim fan... stay away. you will be board to death. 90% of all your attacks are done by your front cannons, with an occasional bomb or torpedo drop.
Realistic - Birds of Steel > Blazzing Angels 1 & 2.
Fun Factor - Blazzing Angels 1 & 2 > Birds of Steel.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
jack3auer

jack3auer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molneze3 View Post
So far... I am pretty disappointed with this game right now. I have literally beat ALL of the Historical Campaigns, and have yet to come across more than 4-5 playable aircraft, yet this game boasts over 100 flyable aircraft. No, you can't choose which aircraft you fly for a mission either. They are all pre-determined since you are re-playing actual campaigns and missions that took place. Online, i can only get into matches that let me use the Bi-plane (I know they have to be unlocked... but if no one is playing it... how can I unlock them). And still have yet to even see online or offline the famed P-38 that graces the cover!

On the plus side... there seems to be TONS of modes to play. Online and offline.
But still, unless you are a die hard Jet/airplane fighting sim fan... stay away. you will be board to death. 90% of all your attacks are done by your front cannons, with an occasional bomb or torpedo drop.
Realistic - Birds of Steel > Blazzing Angels 1 & 2.
Fun Factor - Blazzing Angels 1 & 2 > Birds of Steel.
you unlock the planes by playing the games campaign and single player missions which earn you XP, you can also earn XP in the online mode. the XP increases your rank and this in turn unlocks the planes. but unlocking the planes isn't enough, the game uses a currency called "War points".

you need enough Warpoints to be able to purchase a plane, they follow a family tree style layout, so you need to buy them in a sort of order, you cannot just get the best plane straight away. this is good because it means everyone is in different planes online.

When you have enough Warpoints (lionshead emblem) you can buy a new plane via the hangar (press X on main title screen). when you buy a plane you can use it in MP and earn warpoints to get new ones. you can also get warpoints playing the dynamic campaign. though the historical campaign and single missions do not give you warpoints.

you also get more XP / Warpoints for playing on SIM, or realistic than Simplified, which IMO is "Blazing angels mode"

The warpoints system is being tweeked soon, check the thread below for reasons why and implications of this:-

these threads are helpful>

http://forum.gaijinent.com/index.php...063-warpoints/

http://forum.gaijinent.com/index.php...arn-lionheads/

Last edited by jack3auer; 03-21-2012 at 10:35 AM.
jack3auer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
Azrael008uk

Azrael008uk's Gamercard
This game is pretty to look at and hard to master... but not too hard because I seem to be getting to grips with it.

Park your Cyber Pride at the door and start this on "Easy" (unless you're a l33t vet).

It's like riding a bike...

For the very first time.

You're gonna fall off a few times... maybe even a lot.

But once you start to get the hang of it then this game can be just as much fun as the first time you bombed down a hill on your bike as a kid.

With the Mission Editor... you can literally be playing this game forever!

Az

pixels
Azrael008uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Toaster Forster

seasick sausage's Gamercard
I've just played the demo,its a carbon copy of IL-2,same loading screen voices and everything. I still would get a copy but judging from how few posts there are in this forum i dont think i'll bother,it will be carbon copy of IL-2 online i.e. no one to play.