Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Racing > F1 2011
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #31
metalliman

Dale Gonsalves's Gamercard
Wink Time you guys learned how to race,

ok here goes, time to put the noobies straight,

1st, 2011 cars handle very differently from 2010 cars for several reasons, the ballast can no longer be moved front to back (thanks to the FIA and Pirelli who agreed that it would be set and non adjustable late last year) which means that while the wings are the same size, the car is now front heavy and off balance,

2nd UNLIKE F1 2010, YOU ARE NOT MEANT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE POLE AND WIN IN A VIRGIN CAR, the one thing they got right this year, the cars actually perform almost exactly as they do in the real world.,

3rd Formula 1 cars DO use engine breaking, but not by shifting down gears, in reality if you shifted down a gear in a formula 1 car, you would put about double the normal number of revs through the engine, which would shed its cylinders all over the track in explosive style spreading oil everywhere, lifting off the throttle will however slow the car gently,

finally, Dont try bringing your set ups from 2010 over to 2011, due to the balance difference this year, you actually need your front and rear wings slightly off balance to counter act the the weight shift, i recommend either one click more rear than front wing, or both set exactly the same, and instead of playing for 5 minutes you need to look through the menu's before bitching about something you know little about, YES YOU CAN turn off tires and fuel,

Keep up the amazing work Codemasters, F1 2011 is awesome, NOT perfect, but still FAR BETTER than last year,

And if you dont believe me, or you hate the game still, your just proving what a noob you are, go back to mario kart and start again.
metalliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #32
Gyllen Drage

Gyllen Drage's Gamercard
You have agreed with most of the points that I have made, but I would like to say that you are both wrong and right about the engine braking.
Any engine when still connected with the wheels via the clutch and gearbox will slow the car, but in F1 they do not use it in this way, simply because with a F1 engine it simply wouldn't add any worthwhile braking effect.
F1 engines are designed to have the lowest friction and rotational masses possible, a F1 car revs to 18,000rpm, now at that speed the frictional losses are exponentially higher than at half that speed (I have read the figure is greater than 4x) so if the engine was used for breaking it would loose its breaking ability in an exponential manner, effectively making it useless to slow the car.
Saying which, due to the very heavy drag that all open wheeled racers have, simply going from 100%-0% throttle at speed without touching the brakes will casuse the car to slowdown with about 1g of braking force at 120mph.
Gyllen Drage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #33
metalliman

Dale Gonsalves's Gamercard
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyllen Drage View Post
You have agreed with most of the points that I have made, but I would like to say that you are both wrong and right about the engine braking.
Any engine when still connected with the wheels via the clutch and gearbox will slow the car, but in F1 they do not use it in this way, simply because with a F1 engine it simply wouldn't add any worthwhile braking effect.
F1 engines are designed to have the lowest friction and rotational masses possible, a F1 car revs to 18,000rpm, now at that speed the frictional losses are exponentially higher than at half that speed (I have read the figure is greater than 4x) so if the engine was used for breaking it would loose its breaking ability in an exponential manner, effectively making it useless to slow the car.
Saying which, due to the very heavy drag that all open wheeled racers have, simply going from 100%-0% throttle at speed without touching the brakes will casuse the car to slowdown with about 1g of braking force at 120mph.
seems you have a few things wrong, remember the whole blown rear diffuser arguments this year, that was banned by the time they got to Silverstone this year? here is a quote from a q&a with Charlie Whiting, you might want to read the second answer carefully. :-
Q: Why will the off-throttle blown diffusers be banned from Silverstone onwards?
CW: We know exhaust gasses have an influence on the aerodynamic performance of the car and we accept that. The point is that a design should not attempt to use the exhaust for a completely different reason [aerodynamics as a primary, rather than a secondary effect].

Q: What are the new operating conditions with regard to throttle-opening and spark?
CW: We only want to target this one specific issue - what we think is illegal use of maps for aero reasons. We don't want to influence the perfectly legitimate systems on the car - engine braking for example. We're happy for them to use that, but we want to be sure it isn't being abused.

so it seems engine braking IS used in Formula 1.
the full interview is here:- http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...1/6/12223.html
metalliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #34
IXISHADOW

Disturbed XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Over Achiever - Silver   x360a Representer   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I love how everyone is saying that is is harder this year. I play on medium difficulty with all assists on.(Yes I suck at driving). I qualify realistically in around 15th in the Williams dependent on the weather. I yet won like 9 of 10 races when not once getting into Q3 the other finish was a 3rd place. How is this realistic? I cannot beat them in qualifying but then I can beat them in the race on the same difficulty...

I am changing the AI difficulty to legend for races and hopefully there are some realistic changes to the race.

EDIT- It appears it is the AI difficulty that makes all the difference. If you are a good driver the car difficulty does not effect your racing at all. Although they were still some strange results. Karthikeyan finished 11th in Melbourne :s.

Thanks to Xerofox for the awesome sig!

Last edited by IXISHADOW; 10-17-2011 at 09:34 PM.
IXISHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #35
RyanP91

RyanP91's Gamercard
Well im playing on hard at the moment, trying to do the 100g achievement, and finding it quite easy
RyanP91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #36
Mahtan Tinuviél

Mahtan Tinuviel's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Intermidiate AI so far was a walk in the park... Won first 3 races, with 3 poles and over 2 seconds faster for qualifying.

Now I´m moving to reduce the stability control to medium, and that is giving me some issues as the tendency to oversteer and loose the end of the car is massive (not complaining- just comenting). Eventually I´ll learn it and go to full Hard to get the 100G achievement.

All in all the game seems real enough.. bad cars to the back... Virgin, Team Lotus and HTR a LOT slower than the rest; Mercedes Force India and Renault struggling in the middle; RBR, McLaren and Ferrari to the top...

To all complaing: it is supposed to be difficult, it´s F1, and there´s been only a handfull of people that were able to seat on those cars and actually win easilly (Senna, Prost, Michael, Alonso, Hamilton and now Vettel)... so if you can´t you´re just as good as the rest of everyone else... This is one of the most competitive sports I know and talent has everything to do with it.

Thanks for Rajeanero for the signature!!

100% Retail: 28 - Latest : Borderlands
100% Arcade: 1 - Latest : Shoot Many Robots

Latest Milestone:
40.000 - 28/09/2013; Playing XCOM: EU.
Mahtan Tinuviél is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #37
Enzo1103

Heroic Nenjie's Gamercard
I love the game.

The whole feel that the car isn't concreted to the tarmac is great, and heavy rain races are an absolute bitch to master, especially the first few times you encounter them. (20% distance at Singapore. Was not fun.)
Old 04-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #38
muavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
2011 is shit compared to 2010, the only cool thing about 2011 is the nice hud
2011 is a MASSIVE improvement, both for the novice and the pro alike. Massive. A more enjoyable game.
muavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #39
o D M C o

IVIr IVIeNsA's Gamercard
I prefer 2010 handling by far, 2011 feels like your piloting a barge on a frozen canal