PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Pakhair

Pakhair's Gamercard
Should I play DR 2 or Off the Record

As the title states, I have never any dead rising game before, because I always heard the save system is crappy and one can often mess up entire playthroughs.

Now I think I wanna give it a shot but I'm confused, Help me Guys

• Does the story matter?
  • Which one's more friendly in terms of pick and play?
  • Note that achievements don't matter in terms of you rating diffiuclty.
  • + Anything else you wanna mention
Pakhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
DOA_Rose

doarose's Gamercard
I'd go with Off The Record if you only get 1 of them. The sandbox mode alone is worth it. DR2 has a terrible TiR multiplayer mode. OtR also has checkpoints and more combo weapons. The only complaints I have with OtR are the annoying zombies that jump you out of nowhere ( interesting the 1st few times, irritating by the millionth time ), the cheap bullshit overtime boss fight against TK and the slightly glitchy achievements ( Purewal Memorial Cup. If you consume any meat, dairy or alcohol in sandbox mode before beating 72 hour mode it messes up the cheeve )
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Pakhair

Pakhair's Gamercard
Thanks, Finally got the reply. highly appreciate your opinion but will wait for more responses and you didn't shed a light on story matters or not
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Ludo dave

Send a message via MSN to Ludo dave

Ludo dave's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakhair View Post
Thanks, Finally got the reply. highly appreciate your opinion but will wait for more responses and you didn't shed a light on story matters or not
the story for both games is almost the same all they really did was replace chuck with frank from dr1 and add a plot twist later in the game but it doesn't make much difference OTR is definitely the one to go for
Ludo dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
If you're only picking I'd go with off the record. The story is partically identical to each other, with a few different twists. The main protagonist in Dead Rising 2 is Chuck Greene, while in Off the record it's Frank West(from Dead Rising 1).

Both are pretty easy to pick up and play, but Off the record has more content to offer such as: weapons, outfits etc. Dead rising 2's versus multiplayer ain't that great and is mostly dead, while Off the record has a sandbox mode that let's you play around with stuff as much as you like.

In terms of achievements Off the record is far easier, due to that many of the achievements are plot-based or could easily be obtained during the story. While Dead Rising 2 has some you might need to grind or do multiple playthroughs to get. (I just wanna give some input about them ).

You should try or purchase the Dead Rising: Case Zero arcade game, prior to your decision hince it'll give you a general feel of the two games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
In that case, people will have to download more RAM for it. Consoles have come a long way since they first appeared, so this is very possible.
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
seaforth8306

oodarthjaderoo's Gamercard
The Correct answer is both. i would even say Get Dead Rising 1. The save system is hard on the first game but They fixed it in the other games. You just will have to play the game more than once which is ok because the game is a blast. I envy you. Have Fun
seaforth8306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Pakhair

Pakhair's Gamercard
Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful insights, I'll go for OTR, it seems far more accessible.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
mattzoo3

mattzoo3's Gamercard
Off the record!
mattzoo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Elux

Derangeable's Gamercard
I've played Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, but not Dead Rising 2. Off the Record is more fun to play than the original Dead Rising because there are far less restrictions to the gameplay and there have been additions, even if they are subtle.
Was never a project of mine.
Oh, hard is the struggle, and sparse is
The gain of the one at the top,
For art is a form of catharsis,
And love is a permanent flop,
And work is the province of cattle,
And rest's for a clam in a shell,
So I'm thinking of throwing the battleŚ
Would you kindly direct me to hell?
Elux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
JohnnyInterfunk

JohnnyInterfnk's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakhair View Post
As the title states, I have never any dead rising game before, because I always heard the save system is crappy and one can often mess up entire playthroughs.

Now I think I wanna give it a shot but I'm confused, Help me Guys

• Does the story matter?
  • Which one's more friendly in terms of pick and play?
  • Note that achievements don't matter in terms of you rating diffiuclty.
  • + Anything else you wanna mention
I know this thread is a bit old but I thought my 2c would be useful here.

Of the two, if you think you're only going to get one (aka you're not a hardcore fan of Dead Rising 1), I'd start with Off the Record first.

Does the story matter?
Stories run parallel, but the plot twists are different between the stories, so that playing either will not break the surprises of the other. Only one minor exception though if you got OtR first:

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Because of this, you can really play either first and it won't ruin the other. Plus, due to the plot changes, its worth running through both since there's enough differences to make it interesting

Which one's more friendly in terms of pick and play?
Both are pick up and play friendly, and the controls/difficulty are pretty comparative between the two. If pressed though, OtR is moreso with its Sandbox feature and better co-op mode (Sandbox challenges really enhances the multiplayer aspect). Plus, all money and levels earned in free roam count towards your main save, so this makes it much more "experimental" and goof-around friendly. Finally, sandbox mode makes life very easy in terms of doing collection achievements, since there are no events and no time limit (aka photographing PP stickers).

Achievement difficulty:
I'd rank OtR at a 5 and DR2 at a 6. Neither is super difficult, but the Kill XXXXX zombies achievements are time consuming for both (though much harder in DR2 as there is a hard time cap). To make up for this, some of the challenges in OtR sandbox mode are tough, though still fair and achievable without too much headache.
DR2 mostly is harder due to its unfriendly TiR competition mode-- first, its hard to get matches going at all due to a funky matching system, as well as hard to complete all three achievements, due to not being able to stack players (aka no boosting without alot of hard work) and not being able to select events (its luck-based which events you play)

Other notes:
OtR is a bigger game with more content due to the addition of Uranus Zone (a theme park in the middle of the mall complex, very fun). Also, since Frank West is back, they re-added the camera/photos feature from DR1, YMMV on whether this is an improvement or not (some like it, some dont -- I'm in the former camp myself). The new sandbox challenge mode was surprisingly fun -- I'm more of a story man myself when it comes to games but doing these challenges was more fun than I expected. Further, load times are much less in OtR, and many more zombies can be packed into the game frames, both of which are very nice quality of life improvements to the game.

In total:
OtR is the superior game of the two: its new zone (Uranus Zone) is very fun and fits well within the game, OtR's Sandbox mode totally trumps TiR mode in terms of both fun and multiplayer-friendliness, and the camera makes a welcome return. Pick OtR up first, and if you finish and are still itching to play more, you can get DR2 very cheaply nowadays...

Last edited by JohnnyInterfunk; 10-22-2012 at 07:12 PM.
JohnnyInterfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'd say DR2. I dont like OTR,its identical to DR2. (But not even half as good) Sandbox mode with the challenges suck. If they would have left out those challenge achivements I would have been happier.

All in all

Deadrising 2 > Deadrising Case Zero > Deadrising 1 > Case West > Off the record.

Check out my alternative rock music. If you like it spread the word it would really help me out.

https://soundcloud.com/soundwasteland
Deadsea 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
TSantos013

TSantos013's Gamercard
yea thats true
TSantos013 is offline   Reply With Quote