PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Shooter > Battle: Los Angeles
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Ayx
 
Ayx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 585

ayxism's Gamercard
Just my two cents to anyone who wants to buy this game.

In my opinion? Save your 10 bucks unless you're 'really' achievement hungry or you just want to have something to yell at in case you have completed most of the recent releases.

I'm personally a pretty big War Game FPS fan, and just by the controls I can feel that this game will be pretty choppy.

The dialogue is typical war dialogue with minimum emotion to get you warped into the campaign. Did I mention there is NO Multiplayer? That's right, the few things that can keep bad games alive is if people enjoy or tolerate the Online Game mode. Technically, if you don't like the Campaign you're hit because that's all you're getting for this.

You have to have your sensitivity all the way up to keep up with the action. The Aliens are pretty much God compared to your slow teammates and slow way to get into cover (Just crouching by a car or hiding behind cover making it impossible to shoot them down) and even on Easy Difficulty unless you're a seasoned FPS player or 'really' patient, I wouldn't consider this campaign only FPS.

The game is pretty much the crappyness of Breach but instead of a crappy Multiplayer it's a crappy Campaign. So unless this game gets the Discount on some Deal of the Week, I wouldn't consider this purchase at all.

Conclusion: Unless you really have the spare 10 bucks and want to grind a few hours of frustration and get by? This isn't a bad game achievement wise, just gameplay wise.

Edit: The game is extremely easy, but extremely boring. So pick your poison.

Last edited by Ayx; 03-14-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Ayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
WonderCaliban
 
WonderCaliban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 526

WonderCaliban's Gamercard
How long is it? and how 'Hard' is hard mode?

I don't mind 800 points for a few hours of shooting, even if it's not great.
__________________
WonderCaliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Ayx
 
Ayx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 585

ayxism's Gamercard
I'm played on 'Hard' and I haven't completed the campaign yet because I got too bored of it.

When playing in Hard you have to be really patient. Slowly move up and pretty much snipe them little by little. There really isn't any gunbattles close range unlike Halo, CoD, MoH and other FPS games because the Aliens simply kill you way too fast even on Easy if you're not behind something you risk getting pummeled when usually on easy it's just a breeze for seasoned players.

I don't know how hard getting these 'Unlockables' is so I'm not sure if that will increase the difficulty of the achievements or not.

If you're willing to spend the extra 10? It's not a bad deal if you're achievement hunting, but if you were someone would hope this game would make up the flop that was Breach, you're going to be disappointed.... again. XBLA should really refrain from making FPS games because they just continue to flop knowing how hard Halo, Gears of War and Call of Duty are dominating the FPS franchise.
Ayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
cheevo360
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West London (Middlesex), England
Posts: 2,263

BurstGamer Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Well yeah it just come out today though but yes not many people wanna get it. Anyway game very easy also I make achievement guide already
cheevo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
lovemetal423
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 170
Send a message via AIM to lovemetal423

lovemetal423's Gamercard
I started playing it, i'm maybe about half way through. I don't think it's a bad game. It's kind of enjoyable to me. I would suggest playing the trial and see if you like it to anyone who hasn't. I don't think it's worth 800 points but maybe around 560. It's really not that bad, unless you compare it to CoD or BF but it's an arcade game and I thought it was done pretty well. There's no MP but honestly after Breach do you really want an XBLA MP game?
lovemetal423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
intoxicated662
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 62
Just realized this is a single player, campaign only game. They couldn't even add online co-op? Geesh. I'll wait for a price drop or to get the game cheaper. Breach didn't have the best online multiplayer, but at least they implemented that into the game along with all the different game modes and more. All for $5 more too might I add. Breach should of been $10, Battle: LA should of been $7 aka 560 ms points or even @ 400 ms points.
intoxicated662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Ayx
 
Ayx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 585

ayxism's Gamercard
Yeah, it's an easy 200g no doubt, but I can see in a few weeks this game will drop to the 400MS as part as a deal of the week.

The only reason I purchased Pac Man CE DX was because of the deal. There's no point in purchasing a game for an easy 200g and never touching it again for 10 -15 bucks.
Ayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
rhemelious
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 54

Rhemelious's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayx View Post
There's no point in purchasing a game for an easy 200g and never touching it again for 10 -15 bucks.
Trusay! Gotta agree with that.
rhemelious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
Thorpe
 
Thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,005

A Place for Us's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
It's good fun for the hour it lasts. Achievements don't stack, though. So, maybe about 2-3 hours of play to get all difficulty achievements.
__________________
Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
ITD Soldierboy
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 973

oO H3RO1C Oo's Gamercard
Well of course you're going to hate it if you compare it to Call of Duty or any other retail FPS. You should never compare arcade FPS with retail FPS. That's like comparing apples and oranges. Sure, they're both fruit, but other than that that's about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayx View Post
If you're willing to spend the extra 10? It's not a bad deal if you're achievement hunting, but if you were someone would hope this game would make up the flop that was Breach, you're going to be disappointed.... again. XBLA should really refrain from making FPS games because they just continue to flop knowing how hard Halo, Gears of War and Call of Duty are dominating the FPS franchise.
Well first of all, XBLA does not actually make any games because it's a marketplace, not a development company. Secondly you're saying all fps xbla games suck, but have you played Battlefield 1943? Also, you're continuing making an judgement on a very low budget arcade game to massive budget AAA shooters...Sure, you can compare them, that's fine, but when you're saying they suck because they don't play like a retail AAA title...well that's just plain stupid....

I agree with you that Battle LA is boring and not at all great. But it's only ten bucks. I say, it's alright for a ten dollar shooter.
__________________



Join me on November 8th, 2011 in a friendly game of Battlefield 3 as we watch the threads pile up about how bad Modern Warfare 3 is and how millions still buy it!

October 25th - The day when a true online warfare gaming experience is released!
ITD Soldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
ZedChuva
 
ZedChuva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,213

ZedChuva's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The fact that it's a single player only game, with no MP, was the main reason I got it. Yea, the game is REALLY short, but I'll forgive, since it's not just another MP game. And honestly, if this were an MP only game, it would be 1200 points.
__________________
ZedChuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
swatnflyz
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedChuva View Post
The fact that it's a single player only game, with no MP, was the main reason I got it.
me too, i wish they would make more
swatnflyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
Ayx
 
Ayx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 585

ayxism's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD Soldierboy View Post
Well of course you're going to hate it if you compare it to Call of Duty or any other retail FPS. You should never compare arcade FPS with retail FPS. That's like comparing apples and oranges. Sure, they're both fruit, but other than that that's about it...



Well first of all, XBLA does not actually make any games because it's a marketplace, not a development company. Secondly you're saying all fps xbla games suck, but have you played Battlefield 1943? Also, you're continuing making an judgement on a very low budget arcade game to massive budget AAA shooters...Sure, you can compare them, that's fine, but when you're saying they suck because they don't play like a retail AAA title...well that's just plain stupid....

I agree with you that Battle LA is boring and not at all great. But it's only ten bucks. I say, it's alright for a ten dollar shooter.
You shouldn't say that, have you played some of the Retail FPS that are not from the dominating franchise? I simply compared it to Call of Duty because it's the game people can relate to the most. What's the point of comparing it low budget games like Hour of Victory when almost no one has a clue about that game?

Yes you're right, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding of XBLA sounding like a Development company, I should say that they should refrain from Marketing these type of games because the game just feels incomplete. The game felt like a branch of a storyline, I would have been pleased even if they slapped us three more missions with the Aliens side of the story it'd be worth the money.

Battlefield 1943 was one of a kind, as other games with strong potential (Cellfactor, Tango Down etc.) simply flop due to bad marketing and Battlefield was way established. The game lived because of the community and people playing it daily because that Replay factor was pretty dry with only one game mode and three maps for 1200. Unless you count that Coral Sea map which was just a waste of an add on if you ask me.

I understand High Budget shooters will always be more superior but for 10 bucks I would expect at least a jolt of excitement, sure I don't mind grinding for achievements sometimes but if I don't even feel any satisfaction OTHER than getting the achievements I feel like there's something wrong with the game. I even got a buzz playing Pac Man and I got the achievements fast.

I could understand the easy achievements for 5 bucks, but for 10? I'd probably look into another game that I've been debating for than to consider purchasing a game like this again.
Ayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
HalfEVILmonkey
 
HalfEVILmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Berry Hill
Posts: 1,621

HalfEVILmonkey's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Sh*T, once I heard this game had an easy 200/200 gamerscore, I went ahead and bought it. Haven't started it yet, but anyone who is complaining about it should just go back to Call of Sh*tty. Its an XBLA game. They are meant to be fluff. Jeesh.
__________________
HalfEVILmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:33 AM   #15
anonymous ferret
 
anonymous ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A place with a post code
Posts: 228
Ok well we've just seen the movie today & it was fairly good, it's what District 9 should have been.

Come back & see this on the MP so I'm downloading now.

The OP makes a comment about the enemies being "godly" especially compared to the AI.

Well most of the time AI is dumbed down for:
a) The player to nab all the fun & shooting's.
b) To stress how much better the enemy is meant to be.

Having seen the film, these aliens are meant to be "godly", fair superior weaponry that is practically moulded as their arm, weird creatures that need water to survive aka their fuel, and apparently their "weak spot" is their heart.

Obviously game mechanics could be hard to pull off effecting AI but also since it didn't apparently take long to develop then that will take it's toll. The dev's for that matter are whom anyway?

It's been produced as a movie tie in and for XBLA.

OP wise; 19yr old who seems to like "Axe" the deodorant? Need I say any more? Oh wait there's the slight fact he compares it to triple A titles & names Gears of War an FPS durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

BLA might be crap, I have yet to experience this myself but should be in the next 5mins, but it's an XBLA title.

Compare BLA vs. BF 1943?

How about in that case compare the developers:

Live Action Studios vs. DICE

Hmmm... go figure.

EDIT: So I loaded up the game, saw the main menu & initially I did go "oh crap here we go", basically I thought the main menu was terrible.

Started the main game & instantly thought the graphics weren't bad, next to BF 1943 they are decent. The character models especially, you can see they've tried to mimic the actors from the film.

Gameplay wise the controls feel a bit "CoD" like but because the OP is a "CoD kid" (that's blatant looking from his games list) you realise the OP is talking out his ass when he says this game is shit.

It maybe boring to some & frustrating/annoying, but try playing Eat Lead & getting the full 1000, or better yet Alien Resurrection for the PS1 THEN say this is bad.

It's not bad for what it is plus it's cheap. Oh & if you're dying iAyx on easy, maybe you shouldn't be playing FPS', I breezed it on Normal - first play through, a little bit of logic & common sense goes along way.

Last edited by anonymous ferret; 03-13-2011 at 03:06 AM.
anonymous ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #16
Ayx
 
Ayx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 585

ayxism's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous ferret View Post
OP wise; 19yr old who seems to like "Axe" the deodorant? Need I say any more? Oh wait there's the slight fact he compares it to triple A titles & names Gears of War an FPS durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Not sure what you meant by that Axe comment or what it had to do anything related to the title but it just seems like you're hammering your keyboard as you were typing this so I'm just going try my best not to acknowledge that part. The Gears of War part was a mistake since I was mostly comparing them to shooting games which was the message I was trying to get across.

Quote:
BLA might be crap, I have yet to experience this myself but should be in the next 5mins, but it's an XBLA title.
Yet I've played games such as Voodoo Dice and Zeit and I had more satisfaction playing the game for the same amount of money. Cellfactor was a great game and it mostly flopped due to bad marketing yet it was also an FPS.

Quote:
Compare BLA vs. BF 1943?

How about in that case compare the developers:

Live Action Studios vs. DICE

Hmmm... go figure.
It's not like DICE is infamous for making God-like multiplayer games, they're just more established which is what I addressed to the person who talked about it earlier.

Quote:
Gameplay wise the controls feel a bit "CoD" like but because the OP is a "CoD kid" (that's blatant looking from his games list) you realise the OP is talking out his ass when he says this game is shit.

It maybe boring to some & frustrating/annoying, but try playing Eat Lead & getting the full 1000, or better yet Alien Resurrection for the PS1 THEN say this is bad.
The irony is you say I'm talking out of my ass because I'm a "CoD Kid" which made once again no sense since it's the only FPS I play casually because it's the one I enjoy the most. Just because I don't have Medal of Honor, Battlefield and other FPS titles on this account doesn't mean I never played them before. But of course only someone like you would judge over someone thinking they play on one account.

See, I don't play games like Eat Lead because I'd rather not waste my time, which is why I was giving my two cents to people who were thinking twice about getting this game.

Quote:
It's not bad for what it is plus it's cheap. Oh & if you're dying iAyx on easy, maybe you shouldn't be playing FPS', I breezed it on Normal - first play through, a little bit of logic & common sense goes along way.
I posted this thread after playing the game for a little bit because that's pretty much all it takes. Just because you're not one who judges a game by first impressions doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. I thought this game was pretty weak for the 800MS points you have to invest for the easy 200g? I'd rather wait for the deal of the week if they try to promote the game in the future.
Ayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
SIMPLYMIDGET
 
SIMPLYMIDGET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,053

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I enjoyed this game, didn't really get stuck at any parts. More or less this game is just target practice.

So if you enjoy aliens, hiding behind cover and sniping, or just simple gameplay - buy this game, if your not worried about spending $10.

It's a simple arcade style game.
__________________

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
Mr Bungle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,083
The game is ok. But JUST ok. 800MSP is a tad overpriced. 400MSP would of suited this game nicely.

It's not as bad as some games out there.

But am I the only one who is having flashbacks to Terminator Salvation: The Game when playing this?
Mr Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #19
BUZZARDIO 1080
 
BUZZARDIO 1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 318

BUZZARDIO 1080's Gamercard
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous ferret View Post
Ok well we've just seen the movie today & it was fairly good, it's what District 9 should have been.

Come back & see this on the MP so I'm downloading now.

The OP makes a comment about the enemies being "godly" especially compared to the AI.

Well most of the time AI is dumbed down for:
a) The player to nab all the fun & shooting's.
b) To stress how much better the enemy is meant to be.

Having seen the film, these aliens are meant to be "godly", fair superior weaponry that is practically moulded as their arm, weird creatures that need water to survive aka their fuel, and apparently their "weak spot" is their heart.

Obviously game mechanics could be hard to pull off effecting AI but also since it didn't apparently take long to develop then that will take it's toll. The dev's for that matter are whom anyway?

It's been produced as a movie tie in and for XBLA.

OP wise; 19yr old who seems to like "Axe" the deodorant? Need I say any more? Oh wait there's the slight fact he compares it to triple A titles & names Gears of War an FPS durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

BLA might be crap, I have yet to experience this myself but should be in the next 5mins, but it's an XBLA title.

Compare BLA vs. BF 1943?

How about in that case compare the developers:

Live Action Studios vs. DICE

Hmmm... go figure.

EDIT: So I loaded up the game, saw the main menu & initially I did go "oh crap here we go", basically I thought the main menu was terrible.

Started the main game & instantly thought the graphics weren't bad, next to BF 1943 they are decent. The character models especially, you can see they've tried to mimic the actors from the film.

Gameplay wise the controls feel a bit "CoD" like but because the OP is a "CoD kid" (that's blatant looking from his games list) you realise the OP is talking out his ass when he says this game is shit.

It maybe boring to some & frustrating/annoying, but try playing Eat Lead & getting the full 1000, or better yet Alien Resurrection for the PS1 THEN say this is bad.

It's not bad for what it is plus it's cheap. Oh & if you're dying iAyx on easy, maybe you shouldn't be playing FPS', I breezed it on Normal - first play through, a little bit of logic & common sense goes along way.
YEAH, how about reading your sig and then thinking twice about being so scathing of someone elses post moron.
BUZZARDIO 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #20
The Remdizzle
 
The Remdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dinuba, CA
Posts: 237

Awbrey Family's Gamercard
its a fun little 3-4 hour jaunt. 5 bucks would be more "worth it" but i was itching for a cheap little single player shooter when I bought it.
__________________
I RARELY boost games nowadays, but send a message if you want. You never know...

You like rock music? Lookie here: https://www.facebook.com/theremdizzle
The Remdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
swatnflyz
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZARDIO 1080 View Post
YEAH, how about reading your sig and then thinking twice about being so scathing of someone elses post moron.
tehee!

sorry, i couldn't resist
swatnflyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #22
DeafSunchaser
 
DeafSunchaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sheffield.. England..
Posts: 924

MrSunchaser's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
lol imo ima this game is ok i give it a 7/10 worth the 800 for sure
__________________




.

___________________________________
BF3


BF2142


DeafSunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #23
Juiceh
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 297

SuperJuiceh's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I really liked the game, I played the trial before purchase. So I spent points on it, just to find out the game only takes < 1 hour on Hard.
I want my fucking money back.
__________________
www.superjuiceh.com <- My Blog
Juiceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
TriRock
 
TriRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Finnish Line
Posts: 2,048

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   You're DOOMED Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 45 (more» ...)
I thought it was ok for 800 MPS. The fact that it has no MP makes it even better.
__________________
10k 29/03/09 - 100k 17/07/10 - 200k 02/09/11 - 300k 02/02/13 - 400k 20/11/13 - 500k 25/10/14

Achievement #1000: Seek and Destroy - #10000: Fully Evolved - #20000: Data Security

Overachiever: 56 points - 16 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 11-6-2




TriRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
Adecool
 
Adecool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: london, england
Posts: 178

Adecool's Gamercard
i played the demo and absolutely loved it! mostly because no-scoping is so satisfying to do! and it is also very easy even on the hard difficulty.
anyway, i found the demo extremely fun to mess about with, might buy the game once i get some msp
__________________

Adecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #26
Kitsune Goth
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22

Kitsune Goth's Gamercard
The playable Marine is a wuss.

Has anyone noticed that the Marine you play as is the worst sprinter? The fat kid in 5th grade can run farther than him. I figure he ran about 20 feet before he was exhausted.
Kitsune Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:42 PM.