PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Dead Rising 2: Case West
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
phenominality

Phenominality's Gamercard
Case West or Case Zero?

For me it was no question, considering that my opinion has almost nothing to do with the story of either. CZ was much more appealing for me because it helped me reaquaint myself with the world of DR, as well as get me pumped up for the new one. It provided us with the 1st look at some of the new gameplay features (Building) and characters (Chuck & Katie). It just got us 'ready' which is an idea that i hope other series' implement in the future.

CZ seemed like stale dlc for fans who missed Frank, I being one of them. Although, seeing Frank is anticlimatic and the nostaligia factor wears off quick within the 4-hour gametime and boring environments.

My point is that i like the idea of "almost" prequel dlc as opposed to post. I've never been a fan of extra content that is forced to expand an already complete story. It tends to put strain on the original plot.

What do you think?
phenominality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Dan.Pro

Dan Own Ya's Gamercard
Case West, just cause of the Co-OP, It's so much fun with a friend to pwn zombies!
Dan.Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Foxrider67

S2N Diabolical's Gamercard
i liked CZ more because of the town aspect of it its better than being cramped one huge building
Foxrider67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
IVI4V3R1CK

Send a message via AIM to IVI4V3R1CK Send a message via Yahoo to IVI4V3R1CK

IVI4V3R1CK's Gamercard
Each one has it's own appeal to me:

Case Zero -

I really enjoyed Case Zero. It was a fantastic game for being an arcade title. I was wanting Dead Rising 2 so badly, watching trailers and looking at pictures. I just couldn't wait to play it. Which may be why I fell for Case Zero. I ended up playing it again, and it came out to be really short. I mean, it did it's job; introduced story line/characters, shown new game mechanics, and gave us some zombie killing action without having to play as Frank West. However, after actually playing Dead Rising and going back, I found the original charm that had me playing the arcade title hundreds of times wasn't there. And then I realized it was because I had the actual game which was way more entailed. Don't get me wrong, I love the title. I just think that I fell in love with it because I didn't have anything better.

Case West -

When the title came out, I didn't buy it at first. Then when I did buy it, I didn't play it. I was still working on some other games and didn't want to get too involved with Dead Rising. So when I finally beat it and loaded in Case West, I was pleasantly surprised. I was kind of lost when the story began (as I always finished OT in DR2) but things began to make sense and I was having some fun playing. I liked how there were special people (soldiers and prodders) from the beginning which added a bit of a challenge. I also like the fact that the survivors didn't cling onto you. For being a smaller map, I found this really nice. The new combo weapons are insane (especially the double combo weapon) and having Frank West and Chuck Green bicker back and forth is entertaining enough for me to watch the cut scenes more than once. I didn't like that the one main psycho had a huge life bar and that the impact hammer guys were everywhere towards the final missions, but it kept me entertained, it added a nice perspective to the story, and I had a blast getting the achievements for it.

Overall:

Comparing the two games side by side, Case West has to be my favorite one. However, it has to be taken that when Case Zero was released, Dead Rising 2 was still in development, so it was almost like a premium beta. Case West came out after Dead Rising was established, so they knew what things worked and what things didn't. They also sat back and listened to the community at things people were unhappy with the retail game and made some minor adjustments. Having the co-op element was a nice add-on for the game (though I like the Dead Rising solo experience better) and it was nice seeing Frank West again. So though its hard for me to say that I choose Case West over Case Zero, it is easier for me to say that I love the series as a whole, and cannot wait for the next installment.
IVI4V3R1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
The Nonexistenc

Agonist Sigma's Gamercard
I have both and I do like them both. I think it helps to look at the context of the two games.

Case Zero - this was pretty much a glorified demo. But for those who couldn't wait for DR2, I think it was alot of fun and had plenty of moments. It really introduced the system changes to DR2. As a demo, it succeeds. However, once DR2 and DR2:CW came out, it pales in almost everything except the environment (CZ had buildings and a make-shift health center; CW had one building... although the XXX lounge in the living quarters was LOL-worth). There was no need to get it afterward, since there is actually nothing that adds to the story.

Case West - An epilogue and it does pretty good too. This one has its moments again and again, with the banter between Greene and West. The photography felt tacked on, only for the 2 achievements, and it was irritating to play co-op as Frank, since the guy playing Chuck would want to save and you'd get booted. Still, it was great addition story-wise with some interesting new combo weapons. Environment was lacking, maybe they could've added an outside yard or something. Seeing all the equipment was still neat though. And finally, it really did set up the stage for DR3. Climactic ending, fun boss battle; This game is totally relevant to the overall canon of the series.
The Nonexistenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
sureone

sureone's Gamercard
if you're not a fans of dead rising, you can under-look case zero~
sureone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
jae200

soulstlkr2's Gamercard
These are both on sale as the Xbox Live Deal of the Week this week..

Basically, I have both demos on my hard drive but haven't bought either.. I guess you could say for $7.50 for both, its hard to go wrong buying them but with the first Dead Rising.. I hated the setup where you had a time limit to do everything and the save feature kind of sucked.. Knowing this, would you recommend/not recommend either Case West or Case Zero? Zero sounds like it has the same time limits and save structure as the original, but I enjoyed the demo.

I may pick them both up though..
jae200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Ayx

ayxism's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae200 View Post
These are both on sale as the Xbox Live Deal of the Week this week..

Basically, I have both demos on my hard drive but haven't bought either.. I guess you could say for $7.50 for both, its hard to go wrong buying them but with the first Dead Rising.. I hated the setup where you had a time limit to do everything and the save feature kind of sucked.. Knowing this, would you recommend/not recommend either Case West or Case Zero? Zero sounds like it has the same time limits and save structure as the original, but I enjoyed the demo.

I may pick them both up though..
I just bought both because it was on sale, can't go wrong with half off. I probably will just play CZ first because lots of reviews say CW is better, so I don't want to play CW through and be disappointed with CZ.

I never played Deadrising, hopefully it's good.
Ayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Grummy

Grumftheld's Gamercard
Case Zero, hands down because CW is garbage tbh.

I really really really enjoyed CZ, a great little self contained DR game. CW though has bored me to death, terrible setting, too short a story to really get anything of value from having Frank involved, and the experience is hugely repetitive, which I've never felt from DR before. Boring Grey room after boring grey room. Oh, look, another squad of guys with guns or cattleprods that I NEED to shoot as every other weapon is worse against them (so why the point of the other weapons?) Oh and look now, a crap Bigg Daddy/Terminator Marine wannabe with a powerfist.

It's a yawn fest.

http://www.360voice.com/tag/Grumftheld

My First Guide!! Way of the Samurai 3
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g...ai-3-us/guide/
If you have any questions, please pm me on here then send me a message on Live to let me know its here and I'll get to it asap.
Grummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
KIRBER

kirber's Gamercard
For me it was a no brainer. Two Dead Rising realted games, tons of zombie killing fun, and throw in coop, I had to get them both.
KIRBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Flesseck

Flesseck214's Gamercard
Both! They are both phenomenal games! And buy them now since they're both on sale!
Flesseck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
SabadoGigante

I liked both, although I think I may have enjoyed Case Zero a little more. The Hazard Units really got to be annoying after a while. Either way, both are way worth the price. Can't wait for Off the Record!
SabadoGigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
KashThePriest

KashThePriest's Gamercard
West for co-op, solo preferred zero plus cheevs in zero are easier than West imo
KashThePriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #14
boomdizzle 2

civilianbrokke's Gamercard
I personaly preferred case zero because case west seemed a little generic to me and case zero cost less. Dont get me wrong, I absolutly love Dead Rising and bought both day one but case zero has a slight edge
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #15
ThatKidBanks

Case Zero > Case West

Had a way better story and honestly even though it was XBLA I enjoyed it better than Dead Rising 2. I found Case West to be out of place and they definitely could have done something better with the story from where the game picked off to where it ended.
ThatKidBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
JohnAizen

JohnAizen's Gamercard
Case Zero, nuff said
JohnAizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #17
bblcreator8790

bblcreator8790's Gamercard
I enjoyed Case Zero more. I didn't care for the single building environment in Case West.
bblcreator8790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #18
Kingoddball

k1ngoddball's Gamercard
I hope both of these are good!
Loved original and thought 2 was ok.
I got these because of price and more zombies!
Kingoddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #19
FREE FLAMES117

FREE FLAMES117's Gamercard
case zero is actually my favorite out of all 4 of the dead risings
FREE FLAMES117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #20
JAW LV

JAW LV's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
If it wasn't for feeling cramped in an enclosed building, Case West would get my vote hands down. The multi-player is really fun plus I enjoyed the additional weapons you can create.

In the end I give a slight edge to Case Zero. The level layout was far superior, I also liked the end boss better.

PROUD MEMBER OF
NUTRITION/EXERCISE QUESTIONS? ASK ME!
TRYING TO MAKE THE GAMING COMMUNITY A HEALTHIER COMMUNITY... EVEN IT TAKES ONE GAMER AT A TIME!
JAW LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #21
13ip0lar

Zweipolig's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I got a question about these two DLC. I just recently got DR2, and I was wondering are these like add-ons or what? Are they stand alones? So even if I didn't have the game I could play them?

I hate people... But don't worry, if you are reading this it likely means I don't hate you. Why? People can't read.

13ip0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #22
JAW LV

JAW LV's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ip0lar View Post
I got a question about these two DLC. I just recently got DR2, and I was wondering are these like add-ons or what? Are they stand alones? So even if I didn't have the game I could play them?
Both Case West & Case Zero are stand alones. I never played DR2 but I have played both Case West & Case Zero with no issues.

PROUD MEMBER OF
NUTRITION/EXERCISE QUESTIONS? ASK ME!
TRYING TO MAKE THE GAMING COMMUNITY A HEALTHIER COMMUNITY... EVEN IT TAKES ONE GAMER AT A TIME!
JAW LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
IVIR BLOBBY

IVIR BLOBBY's Gamercard
Case Zero, because it was a brilliant suprise for 400 MSP nobody was expecting much & it was absolutely brilliant

Case west was ok but the guards & all the guys with hammers just annoyed me after a while i just wanted to kill zombies & i was being flashbanged & shot from a distance while trying to just have fun

Guides - DR2: off the record
IVIR BLOBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #24
CapitanAndyman

Capitanandyman's Gamercard
I purchased CZ for 400 points because I was so pumped for DR2. I loved it, and thought it was a great introduction to the changes in the DR series. I only just purchased CW because it was on sale this week, and I'm hoping it's better than some of these responses suggest!
CapitanAndyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #25
Repo

Send a message via MSN to Repo

x RepoUK x's Gamercard
Case West is good but Case Zero is better IMHO.

I liked the mini-sandbox world of CZ. CW was a bit annoying as the 1990's style respawning game environment both games use had a greater impact on "reality".

Not sure if that last bit makes sense in words
Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
Colechr94

DullSword52's Gamercard
I think that both are as good as each as each other. Case Zero had the whole "give it a go" factor that pumped up a lot of people to get this, making it very good for people to get used to the new functions of DR2. Case West, on the other hand, gave everyone something to talk about; putting the 2 main characters of DR together, which shows that even when you put two heroes together, chances are that them two heroes will bicker over random stuff (which is what they did!) That, and also the fact that it was co-op, so when me and my friend played this together, hilarious antics ensued.
Colechr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #27
LOD 2006

LOD 2006's Gamercard
Zero was better
LOD 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #28
UBER GOOBER

EL UBER GOOBER's Gamercard
They are both good games but I would prefer Case West & no Case Zero is NOT a demo
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #29
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard
Both but if only one Id say ZERO. Much more orginal.

Check out my alternative rock music. If you like it spread the word it would really help me out.

https://soundcloud.com/soundwasteland
Deadsea 18 is offline   Reply With Quote