PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Silent Hill: Downpour
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
zhoban

zhoban's Gamercard
Does this game get good?

So far, I haven't found an ounce of good yet and I'm at the end of the Radio Station where I am getting ready for a escape that is very reminiscent of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and I have to deal with a glitch where I need to go back into the Radio Station to get the Diluent and there is a open door yet there is also a closed door so I have to close the open door then open the closed door. And even aside from that, the game is so bogged down by terrible puzzles that require almost little to no thought, terrible chase scenes that are more frustrating than scary, poor enemy design, choices thrown into the game that don't even matter, terrible framerate and just any other problems that would make a game seem bad.

That being said, is there some point (hopefully soon) where I start thinking it is good? Hopefully this game doesn't do the same exact thing as Silent Hill: Origins, Silent Hill: Homecoming and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories did by randomly throwing in a Silent Hill 2 plot twist.

"I was weak, that's why I needed you. I needed someone to punish me for my sins. But that's all over now, I know the truth. Now it's time to end this." - James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2)

zhoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Nemesis Sieg

Nemesis Sieg's Gamercard
"Does this game get good?" Bluntly (but honestly) not really. I'm a big fan of Silent Hill, and games of a similar type but when it came to Downpour I was just wanting to be done with it by the radio station. Some of it is great, I love the outside area and the heavy rain but it hardly evens out the negatives. Every area I went to I couldn't wait to leave. The combat is so bad, the frame rate problems although it only happened occasionally were irritating. There had been the odd glitch, I experienced the door one also. I just finished my hard playthrough going through as quickly as I can, my end playtime was 2 hours 46 mins. Just one more playthrough to get my full gamescore but when I do think of Silent Hill, Downpour certainly won't come into my thoughts. Thankfully I bought the HD collection also so that will win me back over after this game gets shelved.
Nemesis Sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
zhoban

zhoban's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Sieg View Post
"Does this game get good?" Bluntly (but honestly) not really. I'm a big fan of Silent Hill, and games of a similar type but when it came to Downpour I was just wanting to be done with it by the radio station. Some of it is great, I love the outside area and the heavy rain but it hardly evens out the negatives. Every area I went to I couldn't wait to leave. The combat is so bad, the frame rate problems although it only happened occasionally were irritating. There had been the odd glitch, I experienced the door one also. I just finished my hard playthrough going through as quickly as I can, my end playtime was 2 hours 46 mins. Just one more playthrough to get my full gamescore but when I do think of Silent Hill, Downpour certainly won't come into my thoughts. Thankfully I bought the HD collection also so that will win me back over after this game gets shelved.
Even though I knew I was about five minutes from the end, I was at that final Otherworld sequence, I took that game back. The game was an absolute abysmal failure in every area, I couldn't find an ounce of fun or good in the game. The combat was button mashing, it was Silent Hill: Homecoming but somehow worse which I didn't think that was possible.

At first, I was glad they were putting in references to the old games but then it became a constant reference to Silent Hill: Homecoming and I just kept getting more and more agitated because they were boasting how much like old Silent Hill it was going to be. However, the only thing I noticed resembling the old Silent Hill games were the references.

I wouldn't recommend that game, Silent Hill 2 is my favorite game and I just felt disappointed when they released that HD Collection. I would recommend looking up a video on why that HD Collection is bad.

"I was weak, that's why I needed you. I needed someone to punish me for my sins. But that's all over now, I know the truth. Now it's time to end this." - James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2)

Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
Chaos MAN

ChaosSlayerX187's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoban View Post
Even though I knew I was about five minutes from the end, I was at that final Otherworld sequence, I took that game back.

You should have finished it. The last boss fight was the coolest thing in the game.
Chaos MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
zhoban

zhoban's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos MAN View Post
You should have finished it. The last boss fight was the coolest thing in the game.
That wouldn't be hard, I didn't find anything cool about the game. The game just wasn't fun. Granted Silent Hill to Silent Hill 3 didn't have the great combat, but there was so much more to them that made them great. And even their combat system was better than the terrible combat in Silent Hill: Downpour. Honestly, I would have even rather have dealt with my biggest complaint about Silent Hill 4: The Room and just sat there backtracking in that game than play this awful game.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
jamesbong1983

What's good about this game

1. The script of the game is more like a movie.
2. There are slight improvement in graphics
3. (Some of you may disagree) I like the idea of carrying 1 melee weapon at a time, it makes me feel more like reality.
4. Side quests

What's bad about this game

Story

1. The game has a complete storyline. (Murphy want to revenge for his son dead end up harming a good man as well) But I think the game should describe more on the following areas:

(a) Relationship between Murphy and his wife Carol
(b) Why Murphy should be partially responsible for his son dead
(c) Why Frank is a good man, and harming him will make Murphy feel guilty.
(d) How does the story fit with the title of the game "Downpour"

Gameplay

1. Poor combat system
2. It destroy the whole idea of otherworld. Otherworld should be a weird place with lots of monsters, but not a place full of traps.
jamesbong1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
zhoban

zhoban's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbong1983 View Post
What's good about this game

1. The script of the game is more like a movie.
2. There are slight improvement in graphics
3. (Some of you may disagree) I like the idea of carrying 1 melee weapon at a time, it makes me feel more like reality.
4. Side quests

Story

1. The game has a complete storyline. (Murphy want to revenge for his son dead end up harming a good man as well) But I think the game should describe more on the following areas:

(a) Relationship between Murphy and his wife Carol
(b) Why Murphy should be partially responsible for his son dead
(c) Why Frank is a good man, and harming him will make Murphy feel guilty.
(d) How does the story fit with the title of the game "Downpour"

Gameplay

1. Poor combat system
2. It destroy the whole idea of otherworld. Otherworld should be a weird place with lots of monsters, but not a place full of traps.
I finally decided to pick this game up and I'm at the very end. The last time I rented it, I got all the way to the final chase sequence and I gave up because of the awful checkpoint system.

That being said, I have nothing good to say about this game. I didn't have an ounce of fun with it.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
nomsheep

Nomstuff's Gamercard
Not really no. This game is just awful.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
Legrand

Legrand the III's Gamercard
If you manage to beat the game once for a second play-through the secret ending is well worth it...
Legrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Fire Mage

HARDLUCKDUCK's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbong1983 View Post

Story
Thanks for the great spoilers there buddy!

I just started the game and was just looking around a few posts and now I already know the reasoning behind Murphy (at least what bit of it I read) which is pretty essential to the story of these games and why the characters are drawn to Silent Hill.

Fuck.

Fire Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Neme6ben

neme6ben's Gamercard
The main problem I have with this game is the otherworld, in previous SH games, OW was creepy and made you stop playing sometimes, you didn't want to go further for a few minutes lol, but in Downpour it goes so fast you don't have time to see what the otherworld is about, it's a shame!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
AgentXLVII

Best thing about this game was the story.
AgentXLVII is offline   Reply With Quote