Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > L.A. Noire
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
JT Fever

oO JT Fever Oo's Gamercard
3 discs

About to pick this game up, was just wondering can i install all 3 discs and then play without disc swap, i am thinking i must be able to install, as i dont need my 360 heating up whilst playing game.

thanks
JT Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
HELL NOOOO!!!
You definitely NEED TO switch discs. There is no way you can play this full game with only 1 disc. In other words, YES you can install all 3 discs (I did) and as soon as the game asks for the next disc, simply switch.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
JaredL

JaredLinwood's Gamercard
You bring up a very interesting point though, I wonder if something like that would be possible if the developer wanted to implement it... perhaps not. Because I'm sure it was looked into.

Regardless though, as mentioned above, changing discs is very easy, and you get a lot of game-play out of each disc. Pretty sure the first disc lasted me about 6 hours or more, second was about the same, and last disc was perhaps a little bit less.
JaredL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
SgtCouchPotato

Sgt CouchPotato's Gamercard
i know they always said there is no such thing as a dumb question...but...seriously...
SgtCouchPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
LFC Alevop

LFC Alevop's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtCouchPotato View Post
i know they always said there is no such thing as a dumb question...but...seriously...
Dont be a douche, thats not a dumb question. You only need the disc in the tray to prove you own it, all the data is on the hard drive, and you wouldnt own the first disc without the other three so it would make sense if you could

LFC Alevop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
JellyFox

JellyFox's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Fever View Post
About to pick this game up, was just wondering can i install all 3 discs and then play without disc swap, i am thinking i must be able to install, as i dont need my 360 heating up whilst playing game.

thanks
dont think that would ever happen or techincally you could be lending your game out when u finish a disc and that doesn't fly for developers. lending games out is costing them a sale.

it takes like 5 seconds to swap a disc anyway and it doesn't even take you to dashboard anyway and in no way spoils the flow

multi-discs ftw
JellyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
JT Fever

oO JT Fever Oo's Gamercard
thanks

thanks for all responses including the 1 which thinks i am dumb,lol what are forums for?

my concern is not the getting up to change disc, it was the thought of dvd drive working up some heat, .

just picked it up now and will install discs individually.

But on this subject of extra discs, fallout 3 GOTY edition i was able to install second disc and just boot from first, thus was able to lend it to a friend for them to install, guess that is slightly different but.....anyway

thanks again
JT Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
thanks for all responses including the 1 which thinks i am dumb,lol what are forums for?

my concern is not the getting up to change disc, it was the thought of dvd drive working up some heat, .

just picked it up now and will install discs individually.

But on this subject of extra discs, fallout 3 GOTY edition i was able to install second disc and just boot from first, thus was able to lend it to a friend for them to install, guess that is slightly different but.....anyway

thanks again

With the FO3: GOTY the second disc was just the DLC on a disc so of course you wouldn't need it after installing. With games like ME2, FF 13, LA Noire etc...The extra discs are actual retail content so they want to make sure you have each disc in...I understand where you are coming from in your questions/arguements but comparing FO3: GOTY (and any other special edition game release that puts DLC on disc) to LA Noire (and other games that come, initial retail with multiple discs) is comparing apples to oranges.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
metallicorphan

metallicorphan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
downloading from the marketplace is just cutting out the middle man(the disc)i am sure it could be done if installing is really just you 'downloading' from the disc

I've had many questions about 'The Amazing World of Gumball' gamerpic,it was part of a competition on the XBL UK dashboard a couple of years ago(download to enter kinda thing),and they don't seem to be available for normal download at all,and the competition(which i didn't win)has obviously ended
metallicorphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
iceman87gt

Iceman87GT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post
With the FO3: GOTY the second disc was just the DLC on a disc so of course you wouldn't need it after installing. With games like ME2, FF 13, LA Noire etc...The extra discs are actual retail content so they want to make sure you have each disc in...I understand where you are coming from in your questions/arguements but comparing FO3: GOTY (and any other special edition game release that puts DLC on disc) to LA Noire (and other games that come, initial retail with multiple discs) is comparing apples to oranges.
Its still a valid point, obviously DLC is a different scenario compared to an actual game but Forza 2's Platinum version came with all the DLC (or at least all the DLC up until its point of release) which originally cost around $20 bucks (which is more than the game costs used (I got it for $8) at this point), yet all you need is to install the DLC and provide the main game and you get it for no additional cost. Of course in that scenario you can't play the DLC unless you have the game disc whereas you could still play part of the game with with one of the three discs. Even if you made it a requirement to use Disc 1 your friend(s) could still be playing discs 2 and 3 once they've finished disc 1.
iceman87gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
cHRiSCOe

Chriscoe's Gamercard
What does it matter? How far away is your console? I though it felt kinda cool. I haven't had to get up and switch discs since final fantasy ps1
cHRiSCOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
ChArG1nMaLAZ0R

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHRiSCOe View Post
What does it matter? How far away is your console? I though it felt kinda cool. I haven't had to get up and switch discs since final fantasy ps1
whats cool about getting up to switch a disk?
AVP

Arcade Games Boosting
splosion man
metal slug 3 & dx
ChArG1nMaLAZ0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
metallicorphan

metallicorphan's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHRiSCOe View Post

it's a shame that you seemed to of missed Lost Odyssey then if you are a fan of Final Fantasy,LO is probably the best RPG this gen,and it has 4 discs

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R:-the coolness about switching discs,at least when PS1 FF games were about was the feel of progression when changing to disc 2,for me its the same with all RPGs with more than 1 disc,i can't however say i have the same feeling with L.A.Noire...it killed me that i spent just 6 hrs and did the street crimes as well and then got asked to go to disc 2

I've had many questions about 'The Amazing World of Gumball' gamerpic,it was part of a competition on the XBL UK dashboard a couple of years ago(download to enter kinda thing),and they don't seem to be available for normal download at all,and the competition(which i didn't win)has obviously ended
metallicorphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
Mongooli P5

mongooli's Gamercard
All you have to do is make disc 1 the play disc and discs 2 and 3 content discs and that way you couldn't lend it out, because only 1 disc is playable. The only down side then is for people with only the 4 gig system, they get kind of screwed.
Mongooli P5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Killerchronic

Ki11erC's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongooli P5 View Post
All you have to do is make disc 1 the play disc and discs 2 and 3 content discs and that way you couldn't lend it out, because only 1 disc is playable. The only down side then is for people with only the 4 gig system, they get kind of screwed.
And thats exactly why it wouldn't happen.

Quote:
my concern is not the getting up to change disc, it was the thought of dvd drive working up some heat.
Then you have no concern, the only reason the disc needs to be in the drive once installed is to confirm you own it, once the game is running everything is run from the hard drive and the disc remains idle.
30k Hit - 05/07/10
40k Hit - 13/09/10
50K Hit - 31/05/11
Killerchronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Moist Gracie

Moist Gracie's Gamercard
Thats good to know but I really don't mind switching discs Mass Effect does the same thing.
Moist Gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
MANDY

MANDY EN CAS's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtCouchPotato View Post
Hahahaha! Sorry.

Completed:

3 Retail games | 9 Arcade games | 13 WP7 games
MANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
Mike Langlois

Mike Langlois's Gamercard
My LA Noire has four disks.....

...Im guessing the fourth disk is the dlc for the complete edition.

Currently boosting: Gotham City Imposters (PC)
Mike Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #19
LinasGaming1

LinasGaming1's Gamercard
You'll need to change discs
LinasGaming1 is offline   Reply With Quote